Canada & NE Ten Day Oct 12/Possible Hurricane

aca911

Concerned about a tropical storm (97L) that may track up the east coast. Our local meteorologists say it has a good chance of developing into a hurricane and be up the east coast by the 7th. Our cruise is on the 12th.

God forbid that the east coast be hit by such a storm. That being said, if ports or cities were damaged, what happens? Is the cruise completely cancelled or do they skip the ports that are affected (making it a sea day) and continue to ports that were not affected?

Thanks for any input!

As bad as they seem, hurricanes rarely impact wide lateral areas of land. While I suppose a bad storm that hugged the coastline could impact numerous ports, the greater possibility is that it would make landfall at or near only one of your ports. If that were the case, the cruise would skip that port and be re-routed to either add a sea day or two, or an alternate port, or sit in a major port like NY or Boston until it was safe to continue. So by way of example, if Newport RI were to take a direct hit, you might simply skip that port and the ship would head in a different direction for a day, or stay in NY for an extra day. If I recall correctly, when Super Storm Sandy hit, one of the Princess ships (CB?) hung around Boston for a day or two extra. That was about as impactful a Northeast storm as you can get in terms of the wide swath of impact, and it didn't cause the cancellation of the cruise.

Edited by JimmyVWine

The only time it becomes a real issue is when the embarkation/disembarkation port is closed or damaged by the storm. That is a real mess (happened to us once and turned a 7 night cruise into a 4 night one). Other than that, the captain will do everything possible to take the ship away from the storm while keeping as much as possible to the planned cruise. We've had cruises with extra sea days when ports weren't possible and we've had cruises where an alternate port was substituted.

You have to be willing to be flexible and believe that the captain and the cruise line are doing everything possible to give you the best trip they can. They will not be stupid--they don't want to risk their ship or the passengers and crew's well being. If it will bother you greatly if a port has to be missed, this isn't the season of the year for you to cruise. If you can take the attitude that you'll have a great trip and it will be an adventure...you'll be fine.

And yes, when the 7 nighter became a 4 nighter, the cruise line did take care of us financially.

The only time it becomes a real issue is when the embarkation/disembarkation port is closed or damaged by the storm. That is a real mess (happened to us once and turned a 7 night cruise into a 4 night one). Other than that' date=' the captain will do everything possible to take the ship away from the storm while keeping as much as possible to the planned cruise. We've had cruises with extra sea days when ports weren't possible and we've had cruises where an alternate port was substituted.

You have to be willing to be flexible and believe that the captain and the

cruise line are doing everything possible to give you the best trip they can. They will not be stupid--they don't want to risk their ship or the passengers and crew's well being. If it will bother you greatly if a port has to be missed, this isn't the season of the year for you to cruise. If you can take the attitude that you'll have a great trip and it will be an adventure...you'll be fine.

And yes, when the 7 nighter became a 4 nighter, the cruise line did take care of us financially.[/quote']

Great advice!

True, the cruise lines will do whatever necessary to keep you out of harms way. The only down side to a storm or hurricane is the potential for changes to the itinerary and scary with the potential damage to embarkation or debarkation ports.

In the end, they do their best to take care of you. Flexibility is key. :)

Concerned about a tropical storm (97L) that may track up the east coast. Our local meteorologists say it has a good chance of developing into a hurricane and be up the east coast by the 7th. Our cruise is on the 12th.

God forbid that the east coast be hit by such a storm. That being said, if ports or cities were damaged, what happens? Is the cruise completely cancelled or do they skip the ports that are affected (making it a sea day) and continue to ports that were not affected?

Thanks for any input!

It's hurricane season, so anything is possible.

I leave on Regal on October 15. We just have to hope it passes through by the time we leave. I live in Long Island. I don't think it would impact enough for our cruises to be cancelled completely. Maybe just have more days to enjoy the ship. But whatever happens, it's still vacation and a time to be positive and have fun.

Weather shows cloudy and light rain at all the ports! Hope that no ports get changed and we will just use our umbrellas!

That's the risky thing about this cruise. I bought a waterproof jacket just in case. Light rain isn't too bad though. But it won't be raining on the ship. So I'm sure you will still have a great time. Let us know when you get back. Would love to hear since I leave on the 15th.

Angela

I was on the Caribbean Princess during Hurricane Sandy. Instead of sailing to Bermuda ,the ship returned to Boston harbor where we stayed for several days. We enjoyed a wonderful and safe time on the ship. Princess gave us credits that were generous under the circumstances. The passengers who did not fare well were those who parked their cars near the pier in Red Hook Brooklyn. It was reported that over 600 cars were under water.

Weather shows cloudy and light rain at all the ports! Hope that no ports get changed and we will just use our umbrellas!

I would like the good weather forecasters get tomorrow's weather right before I worry about two weeks out, Jets. Just pack for some cool, wet days. If you never pull the umbrella or rain gear you are ahead of the game. The ship's personnel are well versed in managing though different events and will make port if it is safe for the passengers.

Enjoy your cruise.

acp: we're on the Regal on 10/15 as well. We don't really care about the weather (as you said!) and I wouldn't be upset if we spent the entire 7 days as sea days. Just happy to be going! We had some rainy/windy weather on our Alaskan cruise a few years ago but still enjoyed every moment.

Edited by JoRoy218

We leave next Saturday (October 8th). Keeping one eye on the weather, but I do know that the cruise line will keep passenger safety at the forefront. As long as I'm not working, have a cocktail in one hand, the other hand on a slot machine, and plenty of food available, I don't care where we go (or don't go).

Thanks for any input!

I would think that you are flying into the port. If you think that the storm may hit the day of your flight, you could fly in a day earlier.

Edited by geocruiser

I just hope that we are able to board Regal this Saturday, Oct 1.

Considering that TS, possibly hurricane, Matthew is predicted to be still well in the Caribbean on Sat, Oct 1, I doubt you'll have any problems. Matthew isn't projected to be turning north till maybe zero Sat/Sun, with it maybe hitting Jamaica and environs by Monday. So yeah - nowhere near the Regal on Sat..

If - and it's a big IF - Matthew survives all of its possible projections, it will take at least a week or more to get up to the east coast....

Considering that TS, possibly hurricane, Matthew is predicted to be still well in the Caribbean on Sat, Oct 1, I doubt you'll have any problems. Matthew isn't projected to be turning north till maybe zero Sat/Sun, with it maybe hitting Jamaica and environs by Monday. So yeah - nowhere near the Regal on Sat..

If - and it's a big IF - Matthew survives all of its possible projections, it will take at least a week or more to get up to the east coast....

Very true...I guess with it being hurricane season it just made me wonder the "what ifs"...

I'll be happy to just be on the ship. I don't care where they take us lol. Just please don't cancel it altogether.

:p

I'm with you. I don't care how many days I have to be on the ship as long as I am on the ship. We have the AIBP so no problem. I would be totally disappointed if it was cancelled. I'm already half packed. Lol.