What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

paid $699pp OV (OA) for 9 day Boston-San Juan Nov 3-12.

Replied to upgrade solicitation today 8/19/17.

Offered $130pp for Balcony (mid-fair on value meter)

AND

Offered $130pp for mini-suite (mid-poor on value meter).

1 previous NCL cruise in OV..

Will update following NCL reply or post-cruise.

Very possible those other people got the last available upgrades. There will always be folks that get it, and those that will not based on number of cabins available. When you say they bid the same, are you saying they bid EXACTLY the same as you?

Yes, is was from an OV to a balcony for $125. Maybe they paid more to begin with or have higher Latitudes status. I do not know what the criteria for rewarding a person with an upgrade is. But I did look up cabin availability and right now no balconies are shown to be available on my sailing. There were mini-suites, so I slightly increased my bid on one of those, and will hope as sail-away approaches karma shines upon me! <3

Just bookedEscape for 9/16 cruise (largely because we saw an aft facing angled balcony cabin for $50 more than lowest cabin price- with UBP and SDP). Any clue when UGoptions might be posted ( tho not sure what might be better except some suites!)

Just bookedEscape for 9/16 cruise (largely because we saw an aft facing angled balcony cabin for $50 more than lowest cabin price- with UBP and SDP). Any clue when UGoptions might be posted ( tho not sure what might be better except some suites!)

They've been coming out around 80 days out, so you should see it now if it's available. On your NCL account, you'll have a banner saying saying something about getting upgraded.

Sometimes it is cheaper to just PAY for the upgrade vs the bid process. As mentioned many times in this thread, the Upgrade options usually come out around 90 days. Not everyone gets the options. No idea if a somewhat last minute booking even will see them.

It would be so wonderful if there was a WIKI that outlined how this work that would help folks that do not want to read through older posts. Oh well.

I'm also sailing on the 25 of august to Bermuda and have not heard about my bid. I know that the person I'm going with has been accepted. We booked together at the same time and our bid is the same. I'm a laditudes member and they are not. Needless to say I'm upset and hoping I still have a chance because it says that it is still pending but Balcony is showing not available. What does that mean, the other day it said sold out?

I'm also sailing on the 25 of august to Bermuda and have not heard about my bid. I know that the person I'm going with has been accepted. We booked together at the same time and our bid is the same. I'm a laditudes member and they are not. Needless to say I'm upset and hoping I still have a chance because it says that it is still pending but Balcony is showing not available. What does that mean, the other day it said sold out?

I checked via Travelocity and there were no balconies available, but there were mini-suites with a balcony showing for the 25th Dawn to Bermuda. After following this thread for a while, there are a few outcomes possible. First and possibly the most likely - you and I were not lucky this time around and will get the cabin we originally booked. We will hear exactly 48 hours before sailing that our bids were rejected. Second possibility - as sailaway approaches, NCL will bump as many people as possible who have bid up one or two categories, so lower categories will open up and we will get an upgrade. I wish I knew why someone gets an upgrade while someone else does not. One would think that loyal Latitude customers would be the first rewarded, but your post convinces me otherwise.

I am not sure how this works but my theory is to add what you paid for your cabin your bid together and the highest amounts would win.

Neither have I any idea how bids are selected or declined, but let's look at your theory.

Fred originally paid $1000 and bid $90 for an upgrade. = $1,090 total

Joe paid $900 bid $100. = $1,000 total

Your theory "rewards" Fred with the bid for his $1,090 total.

But NCL already keeps both original payments and is looking at how much MORE they can now squeeze from Pax by pitting them against each other.

I'm guessing they take Joe's HIGHER BID of $100, regardless if his total, because they collect $10 more than taking Fred's $90.

I'm certain there are more factors involved, just replying to the sole variable of ,bid amounts.

Neither have I any idea how bids are selected or declined, but let's look at your theory.

Fred originally paid $1000 and bid $90 for an upgrade. = $1,090 total

Joe paid $900 bid $100. = $1,000 total

Your theory "rewards" Fred with the bid for his $1,090 total.

But NCL already keeps both original payments and is looking at how much MORE they can now squeeze from Pax by pitting them against each other.

I'm guessing they take Joe's HIGHER BID of $100, regardless if his total, because they collect $10 more than taking Fred's $90.

I'm certain there are more factors involved, just replying to the sole variable of ,bid amounts.

One of the variables would be if NCL can sell the room you've just vacated.

Fred is in a minisuite and bids $90 for a suite.

Joe is in a balcony and bids $100 for the suite.

But... Larry in an outside view room bids $50 for a minisuite

Now NCL can get $90 from Fred and $50 from Larry for $140, rather than just the $100 from Joe.

(Now multiply this by 1000 cabins!)

One of the variables would be if NCL can sell the room you've just vacated.

Fred is in a minisuite and bids $90 for a suite.

Joe is in a balcony and bids $100 for the suite.

But... Larry in an outside view room bids $50 for a minisuite

Now NCL can get $90 from Fred and $50 from Larry for $140, rather than just the $100 from Joe.

(Now multiply this by 1000 cabins!)

Unless JimBob comes in last second with a $50 bid for Joe's balcony! = $150 Joe + JimBob... you can "what if" this ad infinitum.

And which categories are most sought/bought by late bookers? At some point after the 'musical chairs' of bidding is resolved, they'll have to fill an empty chair.

As we've agreed, multiple variables.

I wonder if this is a cold/hard computer driven algorithm, or whether there's a Human element reviewing the process.

If anyone's wondering - I think anyone can bid on this system. I paid outright for a balcony, emailed the upgrade dpt and asked for a chance to bid on higher categories... less than a day later I got a new upgrade email.

Now it's letting me bid on all of these amazing rooms... it's too tempting!! I know people often win balcony and mini suite upgrades with low bids - but what about more expensive rooms? Not sure if I've seen many people win them for low bids

If anyone's wondering - I think anyone can bid on this system. I paid outright for a balcony, emailed the upgrade dpt and asked for a chance to bid on higher categories... less than a day later I got a new upgrade email.

Now it's letting me bid on all of these amazing rooms... it's too tempting!! I know people often win balcony and mini suite upgrades with low bids - but what about more expensive rooms? Not sure if I've seen many people win them for low bids

Great!

What many don't seem to realize is that everyone has always had the opportunity for upsells. This system just automated the intake of upsell requests.

Thanks for that info. Are you in the U.K. or USA? How long does the offer or bidding last? I take it you don't have to pay in full first? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that info. Are you in the U.K. or USA? How long does the offer or bidding last? I take it you don't have to pay in full first? [emoji848]

Tapatalk

The opportunity comes only after you have paid in full for your original booking.

I booked a balcony on the Escape and bid just above minimum on Haven suites as well as a mini suite.. if I get one then good.. if not, I booked the room originally that I was happy with. My worry is that I will get a much worse location or obstructed view mini suite because that is all that is left?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And which categories are most sought/bought by late bookers? At some point after the 'musical chairs' of bidding is resolved, they'll have to fill an empty chair.

As we've agreed, multiple variables.

I wonder if this is a cold/hard computer driven algorithm, or whether there's a Human element reviewing the process.

You'd think it would largely have to be an algorithm. Think of all the other variable that go into the "what are late bookers looking for?" question:

• What are the chances there are going to be late bookers: probably more for Miami (where bookers will still have multiple cruise options) than say Boston or New Orleans
  • A longer cruise will likely have fewer late bookers, since it's easier to fit a last-minute vacation in a one week period than a week-and-a-half or two weeks.
  • Multi-bedroom rooms are probably less likely to be in demand late, because more people usually means more planning required.

You could probably have people set up some intuitive parameters, but coupled with the number of upgrade requests and the various moving parts we discussed above, I can't see how this could be calculated any other way.