Best time for dinner

Scottygirl1

I've been loving all the discussion on what to wear... now when to eat? We have to decide between 6pm and 8.30pm. On previous cruises we found the early sitting just too early because we were coming back from long day trips but as we are only going on a short cruise this time and not doing day trips I'd just like to get opinions on best time.

I don't normally eat late so I suppose it's then a given that I'd choose the 6pm sitting. Will I be missing out on anything? Do many of the regular, long voyage cruisers choose this time? Will it be odd if we choose to get a table just for two? Should be opt for a table of say eight? As it's a short cruise we won't be needing to seek out buddies for the trip etc.

Thoughts from fellow cruisers would be appreciated.

I've been loving all the discussion on what to wear... now when to eat? We have to decide between 6pm and 8.30pm. On previous cruises we found the early sitting just too early because we were coming back from long day trips but as we are only going on a short cruise this time and not doing day trips I'd just like to get opinions on best time.

I don't normally eat late so I suppose it's then a given that I'd choose the 6pm sitting. Will I be missing out on anything? Do many of the regular, long voyage cruisers choose this time? Will it be odd if we choose to get a table just for two? Should be opt for a table of say eight? As it's a short cruise we won't be needing to seek out buddies for the trip etc.

Thoughts from fellow cruisers would be appreciated.

Though living in a state where second seating if a restaurant is lucky enough to have one is 6 pm and 90% of all food places are closed by 8 pm, I much prefer the 8:30 seating on a cruise as it opens up the entire day. Allows for regular visits to the afternoon tea without feeling that one is eating 24/7 and there is plenty of time for a show or dancing both in the Queens Room and the disco.

As to tables for two or larger, that is a personal matter. Some couples abhor the thought of meeting and talking with others over dinner while others myself included love meeting new folks. So I always ask for an 8 or a 10 for dinner. Breakfasts I am more singular but for both lunch and breakfast because it is open time and seating one can get a single or a two on one morning and a large sharing the next morning.

I prefer the early seating, only because that's normal dinner time for me. I forego the tea time as it is too close to dinner and I'd be full.

There are 2 shows so the late diners go to the early show, and then on to the Queen's Room for dancing. Early diners go to the second show and then on to the dancing.

It is an entirely personal decision. Most of the seasoned cruisers on here seem to opt for the late dining.

I prefer late seating. If it is a port day there is time to come back, relax a little, and change for dinner. On sea days it allows me to enjoy afternoon tea (and as far as I am concerned, no cruise line does afternoon tea like Cunard).

Thanks - yes, I kind of noticed that the seasoned cruisers pick the later sitting. It is a great option when you are doing full day shore excursions and if we were doing that, I'd definitely opt for late dining.

I don't do "afternoon tea" - I don't eat bread or cakes etc so not a lot of point. I will attend the afternoon tea though just to see what it's all about :)

I'm thinking the early dinner might be OK then. Now to decide whether to sit on our own or with 4, 6 or 8? Mmmmm..... Maybe we'll go for the big table and make life interesting :) We sit by ourselves enough at home.

Contrary to what Sauer-kraut said about early diners going to the late show and late diners going to the early show, our recent cruises have all had shows at 8.30pm and 10.30pm, with the 6pm diners going to the 8.30pm show and the 8.30pm diners going to the 10.30pm show.

Contrary to what Sauer-kraut said about early diners going to the late show and late diners going to the early show, our recent cruises have all had shows at 8.30pm and 10.30pm, with the 6pm diners going to the 8.30pm show and the 8.30pm diners going to the 10.30pm show.

Yes, this is what has happened on our other cruises. I think we'll stick to early dining. It's all just so exciting!! Cruising is so addictive.

We prefer late dinning as well, the only time we have had a pre-dinner show is for acrobats (I guess they need to eat after their performance!), when there is something happening after dinner (fireworks in Liverpool or New Years eve) or the last night of the trip.

We prefer late sitting for many reasons. One of which is that we like to go in the pool at around 6 when it is really quiet. There is still plenty of time then to shower and change for dinner.

We don't like sitting on our own so usually choose a table for 6 which seems to suit us.

The way I choose is on a transatlantic with no ports first sitting is better with a longer "night out" evening whereas if there are many ports going for second sitting gives more time to get ready after return to ship. If an "Anytime" dining option such as Club Balconies I should aim to dine about 20 to 30 minutes before second sitting would be eating theirs. In this case you get a head start to the theatre for the second performance.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

The way I choose is on a transatlantic with no ports first sitting is better with a longer "night out" evening whereas if there are many ports going for second sitting gives more time to get ready after return to ship. If an "Anytime" dining option such as Club Balconies I should aim to dine about 20 to 30 minutes before second sitting would be eating theirs. In this case you get a head start to the theatre for the second performance.

Regards John

Yes, John... this is exactly my thoughts. We will not be doing any shore excursions other then getting off the ship and walking around the local area. We will easily be able to make the early sitting but it is still early. 8.30 just seems too late for us eat. We have decided to sit at a table for 6 though - we might as well be sociable!

I too have been pondering this for my Sydney/Kobe cruise on QE next year. While I have always been a late sitting person in the past, I did start to think about the benefits of early sitting, but two factors made me stay with late:

1. All of our sailaways are at 5pm, 6pm or 7pm so those would largely be missed with early sitting.

2. At this time of year the sun will set at about 6.30pm for most of the cruise and I would hate to miss sunset from my balcony each evening.

Thank you everyone for your input - I have decided to change to the late seating!! Fickle female that I am.

My reasons are:

- More time to enjoy getting ready... glass of wine in hand of course.

- Ability to watch the sail away (only one on our cruise but it should be a good one around the top of New Zealand)

- Ability to watch the sunsets.

- No rush in the afternoon to feel I should be getting organised!

- More time to enjoy having a pre-dinner drink in one of the bars - especially on formal night! More time to look at all the beautiful clothing.

I figured that if I'm peckish, I can send my husband to the buffet and bring back some cheese and nibbles to have with our wine.

So - decision made. Locked and loaded into the Cunard Voyage personaliser.

Edited by Scottygirl1

There's canapes???? Free? I didn't know that. Great.

Hee-hee!

If you time it right you will get a bowl of crisps, a bowl of nuts or similar savoury plus a plate of four canapes as well! And all free. As Hattie said - remember to leave room for supper!

Minz56 - great points! I remember that's why I hated early dinner on our Med cruises... sail away and sunsets! The only sail away we will miss is from Bay of Islands but still... that would be pretty special. I need to rethink this.

You could always do a specialty restaurant (Verandah, or one of the Lido pop-up restaurants) that evening and dine later.

I'm big on remembering that time is relative. So it's not what the clock says (especially a clock that seems to be changing every day), but the pacing of my day. When on board, I sleep later than usual, have breakfast later, lunch later, and then 8:30 dinner doesn't seem out of place at all.