Nieuw Amsterdam July 3rd med tapestry tips

Rangers76

A few tips from our trip, review later but wanted to offer info for others going on this trip.

Internet, 249 unlimited internet for the 12 nights, used FaceTime, video not always working but audio worked great.

Formal nights were the night in Monte Carlo and the sea day.

We had unlimited laundry in the Neptune, the laundry service was overwhelmed. The clothes were cleaned well just they took longer and they were delayed. If thinking of paying extra make sure you don't need anything you send them for three days.

Wine on embarkation. We had brought a wine suitcase onboard with our checked luggage, we had purchased wine in Spain we wanted to bring home. We sent it with our checked luggage. Once onboard the concierge let us know they confessciated the wine. Which was what I wanted. I did not want to have to carry onboard.

Signature beverage package. My husband and I had the beverage package and my two children in the room did not. If I purchased a drink on my card for them it came off the package, if on their card it did not. It got confusing and more times than not it just was added to the package. You could get two drinks at a time, no wait between. But the waiters and bartenders did try and charge to more than on card ie mine and my husbands.

Ports. We tendered in kotor, very busy port for such a short time, two other ships in port. I do believe they returned port fees but am not sure if it was for kotor or not. The staff said they always tendered in kotor. We also left other ports early so not sure if the refund was for kotor or leaving Croatia at 9:30.

In Taormina we tendered in Naxos and we took a cab for 30 euro for five people to Taormina. Very easy. They also left the port early but circled the boat for a few hours so all sides of the ship saw the sun set over mt etna. In Marseille easy to get a cab for aix en Provence as well. We had booked a private van that lost our reservation and we were able to get a minivan for seven for aix for 70 euro each way. In Corfu we booked a private van and are glad we did because the taxis would only fit three or four and our group of seven needed a van.

Any questions let me know, just tried to cover what I had questions about.

A few tips from our trip, review later but wanted to offer info for others going on this trip.

Internet, 249 unlimited internet for the 12 nights, used FaceTime, video not always working but audio worked great.

Formal nights were the night in Monte Carlo and the sea day.

We had unlimited laundry in the Neptune, the laundry service was overwhelmed. The clothes were cleaned well just they took longer and they were delayed. If thinking of paying extra make sure you don't need anything you send them for three days.

Wine on embarkation. We had brought a wine suitcase onboard with our checked luggage, we had purchased wine in Spain we wanted to bring home. We sent it with our checked luggage. Once onboard the concierge let us know they confessciated the wine. Which was what I wanted. I did not want to have to carry onboard.

Signature beverage package. My husband and I had the beverage package and my two children in the room did not. If I purchased a drink on my card for them it came off the package, if on their card it did not. It got confusing and more times than not it just was added to the package. You could get two drinks at a time, no wait between. But the waiters and bartenders did try and charge to more than on card ie mine and my husbands.

Ports. We tendered in kotor, very busy port for such a short time, two other ships in port. I do believe they returned port fees but am not sure if it was for kotor or not. The staff said they always tendered in kotor. We also left other ports early so not sure if the refund was for kotor or leaving Croatia at 9:30.

In Taormina we tendered in Naxos and we took a cab for 30 euro for five people to Taormina. Very easy. They also left the port early but circled the boat for a few hours so all sides of the ship saw the sun set over mt etna. In Marseille easy to get a cab for aix en Provence as well. We had booked a private van that lost our reservation and we were able to get a minivan for seven for aix for 70 euro each way. In Corfu we booked a private van and are glad we did because the taxis would only fit three or four and our group of seven needed a van.

Any questions let me know, just tried to cover what I had questions about.

Thank you for the post! Doing same cruise 9/13. Was wondering about formal nights! Also wondered about the Internet....great info, I look forward to your review!

We are also on this cruise on August 8. (same as previous post). Thank you so much for the tips. I have a couple questions:

Did you use hop on hop off in Monte Carlo, and if so, was it easy to find?

Was it a bit overwhelming to be every day in port with only one day at sea?

How was transport in Venice to the airport? Did you book it through HAL, or just hired a taxi? If so, how much did it cost?

Thanks again. Helen.

We are also on this cruise on August 8. (same as previous post). Thank you so much for the tips. I have a couple questions:

Did you use hop on hop off in Monte Carlo, and if so, was it easy to find?

Was it a bit overwhelming to be every day in port with only one day at sea?

How was transport in Venice to the airport? Did you book it through HAL, or just hired a taxi? If so, how much did it cost?

Thanks again. Helen.

We did not do the hop on hop off. We did a private tour in Monte Carlo. From what I remember it should be easy to find. The dock is very close to things and it seemed you could easily walk to the palace and cathedral if you knew where you were going. I am sure the bus will be easy to find.

It was very port intensive and a bit overwhelming but we adjusted. I think it was good to have something planned most days otherwise trying to decide what to do each day can become overwhelming. We had tours booked most days for 8 am, which we just had to show up for. I think if we didn't have something booked it would be easy to skip something and then we would have regretted not seeing it. I would book private tours if you can. So much easier than bus tours and you can see twice as many things.

We used suntransfers.com for our taxi in Venice. Very easy to set up online. It was 90 euro but there were seven of us and 11 bags. We were docked the night before and some people were attempting to set up a taxi for the next day but they were closed. When we got off the ship the next morning there were plenty of taxis. The water bus is also right there depending on how much luggage it could work for you.

Edited by Rangers76

Thank you, Rangers! My family will also be on this cruise on August 8th.

I've been a little concerned about the ease in getting a taxi in Marseille. We have a reservation for a boat/swim trip at 9:30am leaving from Vieux Port.

This is a pretty port intensive trip - we did it 3 years ago and I believe there was an additional At Sea day.

Thanks for your tips! I may have questions for you, I just need a cup of coffee first. :)

Julia in Woodinville, WA

What did you do in Ephesus. Not sure whether to take a ship tour or can we do it on our own??

Book a private tour of Ephesus. The place is very crowded and it is worse with the tour groups. We booked with Levent Solmaz Guiding Services. By the way, this stop was the highlight of our 24 day cruise. Be sure not to miss it!

I've been a little concerned about the ease in getting a taxi in Marseille. We have a reservation for a boat/swim trip at 9:30am leaving from Vieux Port.

Julia in Woodinville, WA

We took a taxi to Aix-en-Provence and had no problem finding one as they were lined up right outside the ship.

Edited by Danni3ll3
Added info.

We did not do the hop on hop off. We did a private tour in Monte Carlo. From what I remember it should be easy to find. The dock is very close to things and it seemed you could easily walk to the palace and cathedral if you knew where you were going. I am sure the bus will be easy to find.

It was very port intensive and a bit overwhelming but we adjusted. I think it was good to have something planned most days otherwise trying to decide what to do each day can become overwhelming. We had tours booked most days for 8 am, which we just had to show up for. I think if we didn't have something booked it would be easy to skip something and then we would have regretted not seeing it. I would book private tours if you can. So much easier than bus tours and you can see twice as many things.

We used suntransfers.com for our taxi in Venice. Very easy to set up online. It was 90 euro but there were seven of us and 11 bags. We were docked the night before and some people were attempting to set up a taxi for the next day but they were closed. When we got off the ship the next morning there were plenty of taxis. The water bus is also right there depending on how much luggage it could work for you.

Thank you so much. We have private tours in some places and some on our own. Hope it works. My DH doesn't like too much pressure of tours and being rushed. Looking forward to it.

Thank you, Rangers! My family will also be on this cruise on August 8th.

This is a pretty port intensive trip - we did it 3 years ago and I believe there was an additional At Sea day.

Thanks for your tips! I may have questions for you, I just need a cup of coffee first. :)

Julia in Woodinville, WA

Hello Julia,

We are on the same cruise with you. Looking forward to it. Hope to meet you on the ship. Helen.