How early can you fly to embarkation city using O-air?

Sabbycat

Hi all,

We have never booked air travel with the cruiseline, but the cost of one-way airfares is so prohibitive ($6600 lowest level economy for 2 people required us to do this!) I have endlessly searched for something better, and considered booking a roundtrip fare and just not using the return-leg)

We are flying Ottawa to Rome in November. We want to arrive in Rome 4 days early so as to enjoy the city, (So fly out 5 days early). Is this possible using their air?

If we staying in the cruiseline's choice hotel (booked via cruiseline), would this make it more "do-able"?

I did search the O page for this specific info, but was unable to locate the specific info.

As an aside, we did look at getting an air credit, but the credit was only $650pp!)

Thanks all for your assistance.

Sabrina

Hi all,

We have never booked air travel with the cruiseline, but the cost of one-way airfares is so prohibitive ($6600 lowest level economy for 2 people required us to do this!) I have endlessly searched for something better, and considered booking a roundtrip fare and just not using the return-leg)

We are flying Ottawa to Rome in November. We want to arrive in Rome 4 days early so as to enjoy the city, (So fly out 5 days early). Is this possible using their air?

If we staying in the cruiseline's choice hotel (booked via cruiseline), would this make it more "do-able"?

Sabrina

I believe you can fly in up to 2 wks prior if you are paying the deviation fee

Using the cruise line hotel package sometimes will work out as you do not pay the deviation fee & the transfers to the hotel & to the port are included in the price noted for the hotel package keep in mind the package rates are PP so compare with what you can DIY before deciding

You must pay the air deviation fee to choose your travel days. Technically Oceania can also charge you the difference between their flight that gets you to the port on embarkation day and the flight you choose.

We never use an Oceania hotel, they charge per person instead of per room.

We also take the air credit every time.

I'm not familiar with options out of Canada. Check with a consolidator for a one way fare. Or use air miles, credit card points or cash and mile programs.

Some people fly Iceland air for a cheap one way to Europe. I've heard TAP airline has good rates to the Med through Lisbon.

Wow, thanks to both of you. I did not realize the hotel pricing was per person.:eek: That is a major league rip-off! The hotel on O site is $417USD. On travel sites it is $315 USD. So both would need to be converted to Canadian. I did not realize though that they charged pp for the hotel. Who would actually book with them? I am simply in shock at this point.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thanks all!

Not sure an actual number of days exist.

There are two parts to the deviation;

1. The $175 per person fee;

2. Any upcharges and or additional costs that the deviation may create.

I have been on O cruises where the people have:

Flown into Lisbon early, on a deviation, and taken a Douro river cruise and extra time in Lisbon before the cruise and;

Flown into Copenhagen early, on a deviation, then paid their own air to Moscow and back from St. Petersburg to take a river boat cruise in Russia.

As long as the deviation fee, plus any appropriate additional charges are paid, I'm sure sure Oceania cares how early you fly in!

Wow, thanks to both of you. I did not realize the hotel pricing was per person.:eek: That is a major league rip-off! The hotel on O site is $417USD. On travel sites it is $315 USD. So both would need to be converted to Canadian. I did not realize though that they charged pp for the hotel. Who would actually book with them? I am simply in shock at this point.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thanks all!

We usually fly in a few days early & book our own hotel via priceline

sometimes with the hotel directly whichever works out better for us ;)

We take a taxi to the port /hotel

I am not sure where you are getting the figure of $6,600 for 2 people one way but on ITA I see a fare of $583/pp on a random day in November via Boston & Lisbon on AC and TAP:

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/#view-flights:research=YOWFCO

That is less than your air credit.

One stop flights can be had at a higher price, but far below your quoted prices.

Compare this with the cost of deviation fees and possible upcharge and see which one makes more sense to you.

Edited by Paulchili

There is more than just the deviation fare. Oceania has a special group rate with airlines so, you pay th deviation fee plus whatever the fare difference is. (I suspect Air Canada in your case)

We chose to arrive early in Miami for our cruise and when all was said and done, we did not get any deal with "O" Air.

I also do not know where you got your airfare. I have flown Ottawa to Rome a number of times and have never paid close to that and quite a bit less than half that for 2. There are many options from Ottawa.

Lastly, Rome is expensive but not near what O charges for hotels.

Edited by pete_coach

Thanks all!

I'm so glad you posted!

We love Oceania as does my travel agent. However she set me straight on Oceania air, hotel and transfer programs. You can almost always do better on your own. We generally avoid Oceania shore excursions unless our booking includes O life tours or we have excess OBC.

Other cruise lines we have sailed also double the hotel price charging PP. Transfers are always priced PP.

Hi Sabbycat,

Why are you looking for one way flights - ? How are you getting back home - ?? One way flights always come up more expensive on some of the major airlines out of Canada (AC, BA, etc)... but you can choose your return trip from a different city and get the return ticket cost.

The air I quoted was a multi-city quote with several sites. It was Ottawa to Rome and then Miami to Ottawa. The $6600 was the average using different booking site. I was shocked too and figured I could do better. So I tried a one way today from Ottawa to Rome and quote I got (again using 6 different booking sites), was $2200 per person premium economy. That did not include a flight for the Miami to Ottawa leg. So after all was said and done, based on the crappy air credit they were offering it seems booking with O was best.

Sigh!

Sabrina

I'm not sure about that 30 day window. My TA told me two weeks (as Lyn said at the beginning of this thread). Two weeks is usually adequate unless you are doing an extended land trip before or after. (Two weeks before and after the cruise would make a very nice vacation!)

Don't assume that taking the air deviation means you must take the hotel package. Those are different things.

We have never taken a hotel package from a cruise line although on one or two occasions we HAVE booked the same hotel they use ... just for a lot less money.

On a very few occasions (but not recently) I have noticed some hotel package fees that were priced per couple. Since I don't tend to check the packages because we're aware of the jacked up costs, there may have been more such offers in the past year or so ... although I tend to doubt it.

People to take these offers are people who really don't want the bother of having to get themselves around ... sometimes for very good reason! People who are used to traveling independently can't see the logic. It has been mentioned that using the hotel package can mean free transfers, etc., sometimes a city tour.

But if you want to go in several days early (which is what we usually do) bear in mind that a transfer (whether free or paid) might not be available. Others will know better than I about this, but I'd think that unless at least a small group needs the transfer you'll have to get to the hotel yourself. In most cases, that isn't difficult. Some ports are quite a distance away -- say, you fly into Paris but the ship is leaving from Le Havre.

Mura

Others will know better than I about this, but I'd think that unless at least a small group needs the transfer you'll have to get to the hotel yourself.

Yes and no Mura.

On those "irregular travel days" as Oceania calls them, they arrange for a taxi to meet the Passenger(s).

It IS reassuring, because the drivers hold Oceania signs with your name on them, and the Oceania Rep at the hotel gets a notice of your arrival.

The Rep may or may not connect with the Passenger at check in, but there is always a welcome packet in the room which contains the location, hours and phone number for the Oceania Desk (typically the same location where the sailing day transfer group "meets up").

The air I quoted was a multi-city quote with several sites. It was Ottawa to Rome and then Miami to Ottawa. The $6600 was the average using different booking site. I was shocked too and figured I could do better. So I tried a one way today from Ottawa to Rome and quote I got (again using 6 different booking sites), was $2200 per person premium economy. That did not include a flight for the Miami to Ottawa leg. So after all was said and done, based on the crappy air credit they were offering it seems booking with O was best.

Sigh!

Sabrina

Did you not see my post above (#7) that you can get a one way ticket from Ottawa to Rome for $583? That is $67 less than your air credit!

A flight from Mia to Ottawa can be had for $112 on Westjet - so you would be out of pocket for air only $67.

And you can choose your dates and flights.

Does this make sense to you?

Thanks all for your responses. You amaze me with your assistance.

We are not crazy about the idea of two stop-overs (re: the $600 flight), and so I think will stick with O air. I get migraines if I do not sleep well/at all (and so usually we fly business - but that is usually round-trip so it is much cheaper!). This year we are chancing it with premium economy - fingers crossed) Flying coach is a problem for me. But here is hoping!

I have my hotel figured out now, and our transfer service also! (Both airport and then on to Civitavecchia).

So I guess it just the excursions left to figure out. Not too many of them on this trip given there are seven relaxing sea days!

Thanks again, you have all been a wealth of information and your assistance has been invaluable.

Sabrina

O Air Deviation will give you a quote for free so call them and find out their price. If you don't like you can ask for more quotes, you can ask for specific flights and get a price. You don't pay the $175 until you want to buy.

I think O starts quoting at 9 months out and not the max 330-360 days. It might be better/cheaper to buy your own flight back from MIA, just buy the TATL flight from O.

Edited by floatplan

O Air Deviation will give you a quote for free so call them and find out their price. If you don't like you can ask for more quotes, you can ask for specific flights and get a price. You don't pay the $175 until you want to buy.

I think O starts quoting at 9 months out and not the max 330-360 days. It might be better/cheaper to buy your own flight back from MIA, just buy the TATL flight from O.

Can i call, or must it be my TA?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Forums mobile app

E

Edited by Sabbycat

Can i call, or must it be my TA?

If you used a TA you must go through them

Give the TA the flights you want for outbound & inbound & see what Oceania comes back with

You do not have to decide on the 1st go round

or ask what O will provide on the dates you want

Choose what works best for you

You might also consider flying out of YUL & return to YOW ..take the train

there are probably more flight options to Europe from YUL

Edited by LHT28

If you used a TA you must go through them

Give the TA the flights you want for outbound & inbound & see what Oceania comes back with

You do not have to decide on the 1st go round

or ask what O will provide on the dates you want

Choose what works best for you

You might also consider flying out of YUL & return to YOW ..take the train

there are probably more flight options to Europe from YUL

There is nothing direct to Rome out of Ottawa in November. Ideally, we would connect through Montreal (as it is easier than Toronto and the departure's lounge is much nicer - a factor to consider since we are not flying business).

I find generally there are many flights out of Montreal to Rome. (If memory services me correctly it may still be daily in November.) Going through Toronto is just a nightmare. I hate it! Montreal is great. And so is the short 40 minute flight connection of Ottawa to Montreal)

Thanks all,

There is nothing direct to Rome out of Ottawa in November. Ideally, we would connect through Montreal (as it is easier than Toronto and the departure's lounge is much nicer - a factor to consider since we are not flying business).

I find generally there are many flights out of Montreal to Rome. (If memory services me correctly it may still be daily in November.) Going through Toronto is just a nightmare. I hate it! Montreal is great. And so is the short 40 minute flight connection of Ottawa to Montreal)

Thanks all,

Our friends in Kanata often drive or take the train to YUL (Montreal) when flying overseas ..much more flight option there

Flying to Toronto (YYZ) is back tracking for you IMO ;)

One final question....I have O Air booked right now. If I want to change it and get the crummy air credit, am I able to do this? How long do I have to make the change?

Thank you.....again. we have never used cruise air, and after about 6 hrs of searching I have finally found air that I can live with! Business AC to Rome and aeroplan trip home!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Forums mobile app