Luggage in Rome

bethsanfrancisco

Hi

this is going to be my second cruise so i am still pretty much a newbie.

last cruise we stayed an extra day and got a hotel so we didnt have to worry about our luggage.

this time we are hoping to do a bit of site-seeing in rome before going to the airport.

i am wondering if anyone has suggestions as to where to store our luggage after disembarking the ship. we dont want to drag it to the vatican.

cruise isnt for another 16 months so obviously we dont have our flights yet and may not even have time for anything but i figured i would ask.

thanks!

Where to store depends on where you are going.

There us a luggage storage at Termini station in Rome

http://www.romatermini.com/en/service/detail/left-luggage

but remember you need to leave time from your touring to return to this station and then to your departure point.

While you'll get good advice from experienced O cruisers here you should also check the Ports of Call section here on CC.

Others might suggest a car transfer from the cruise port which is a long way out if Rome, and have them drive you as a tour and airport transportation. more expensive but good value perhaps considering the cost of the trip and the touring time gained

the cruise isnt until next august so there isnt even a port of call thread yet.

You might be thinking of the ROLL CALLS section. August 2017 is not early to have a Roll Call for Your Cruise. You might need to search (hopefuly it was named well as per guidelines) or change the display to include older threads to find yours. If there really is not one then feel free to be first and start one.

I was referring to the PORTS of CALL section such as for Rome or Costa Maya or Singapore. In this section they have area specific posts as opposed to cruise line specific posts.

You can find them here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

You might be thinking of the ROLL CALLS section. August 2017 is not early to have a Roll Call for Your Cruise. You might need to search (hopefuly it was named well as per guidelines) or change the display to include older threads to find yours. If there really is not one then feel free to be first and start one.

I was referring to the PORTS of CALL section such as for Rome or Costa Maya or Singapore. In this section they have area specific posts as opposed to cruise line specific posts.

You can find them here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

ohhhhhh, i thought ports of call sounded odd.

thanks! i will check that.

cruise is in august of 2018...not 2017. ( i like to plan ahead. plus i am overly excited!)

I have been known to book a cruise 18 months out and start a roll call at the same time... so don't assume! And a couple of times when I booked that early, a roll call had already been set up by someone else.

You may well be right that there hasn't been one set up yet ... in which case, as was suggested, you can start it yourself.

I think that you have realized from previous posts that trying to go from the port to Rome back to the airport can't be done in one day ... Especially given lines at the Vatican. (Even if you have a jump the line ticket!)

If I were you and really wanted to see the Vatican -- having done the tour it's certainly worth it -- you should plan on spending at least one day in Rome and the go home the next day. If you are using O's air, then get a deviation.

Mura

thanks!

i think thats what we will do to avoid stress.

Let me get your situation straight.

You are arriving in Rome on a morning flight, taking a cab or train into Rome (about 45 minutes or more depending on traffic), wanting to see the Vatican (Museum or St Peter's Basilica or the Dome or entire Vatican) and then taking a cab or train out to the port in Civitavecchia (which is an hour away)?

That is a mighty long day after an overnight flight from North America.

I suggest you arrive the day before and stay overnight in Rome, get a early morning tour of the Vatican and then head out to the port in the afternoon. The Vatican and St Peter's tour is about 3 to 4 hours at least

Edited by pete_coach

thanks!

i think thats what we will do to avoid stress.

I think that is the right way to do it.

Check the flights from Rome to SFO. The great majority of them leave before noon. It would be impossible to do what you plan on doing. Might as well enjoy an extra day in Rome.

If you wish, you can choose a less expensive hotel near the airport (vs more expensive in center of Rome). You can then make your way to Rome on a train with plenty of time to see what you want and return to your hotel in the evening. Then you will be close to the airport in the morning.

Edited by Paulchili

Let me get your situation straight.

You are arriving in Rome on a morning flight, taking a cab or train into Rome (about 45 minutes or more depending on traffic), wanting to see the Vatican (Museum or St Peter's Basilica or the Dome or entire Vatican) and then taking a cab or train out to the port in Civitavecchia (which is an hour away)?

That is a mighty long day after an overnight flight from North America.

I suggest you arrive the day before and stay overnight in Rome, get a early morning tour of the Vatican and then head out to the port in the afternoon. The Vatican and St Peter's tour is about 3 to 4 hours at least

no, this is the end of our cruise so we will be coming from the ship.

we saw most of the vatican last cruise but not st peters.

but.. we dont know yet when our flight home is..... as the cruise isnt until 2018. only way this works is if its a very late flight.

I think that is the right way to do it.

Check the flights from Rome to SFO. The great majority of them leave before noon. It would be impossible to do what you plan on doing. Might as well enjoy an extra day in Rome.

If you wish, you can choose a less expensive hotel near the airport (vs more expensive in center of Rome). You can then make your way to Rome on a train with plenty of time to see what you want and return to your hotel in the evening. Then you will be close to the airport in the morning.

thanks

just need to then figure out what to do with our luggage.

but.. we dont know yet when our flight home is..... as the cruise isnt until 2018. only way this works is if its a very late flight.

There are very few late flights. Alitalia has a flight leaving around 9 PM but it requires an overnight at Paris or Amsterdam airport and flying to SFO next morning. That would not be my choice.

If you want further help, you can send me an e mail to Paulpepper at comcast dot net.

no, this is the end of our cruise so we will be coming from the ship.

we saw most of the vatican last cruise but not st peters.

Seems to me that there are a number of Guides who would be happy to coordinate the transfer from the ship with a Vatican tour....the beauty of that situation being that your transfer van could hold the luggage.

Edited by JimandStan

Seems to me that there are a number of Guides who would be happy to coordinate the transfer from the ship with a Vatican tour....the beauty of that situation being that your transfer van could hold the luggage.

definitely! but were trying to keep expenses down. :rolleyes:

thanks for the suggestion though. :)

The cost of a private transfer and guide would be pretty close to the cost of a reasonably priced hotel.

With the transfer it still might be tight to make a flight before noon; with the overnight stay one would have plenty of time to enjoy Rome (Basilica + a lot more) at a similar price. And no anxiety about traffic and missing the flight.

JMO

Edited by Paulchili

definitely! but were trying to keep expenses down. :rolleyes:

thanks for the suggestion though. :)

I won't volunteer to spend your money-

but you MUST ask yourself "how many other opportunities will I have?"

None of us is promised tomorrow.

56-3726421-1438707422dc77033642f746c3a6946d949841f14e.jpg

I agree with Paul that an extra day is the best option-

I realize that you've been there before. but Rome IS the Eternal City

There are THIRTY sites visited on the average "Best of Rome" Tour. ;)

Edited by JimandStan

I won't volunteer to spend your money-

but you MUST ask yourself "how many other opportunities will I have?"

None of us is promised tomorrow.

56-3726421-1438707422dc77033642f746c3a6946d949841f14e.jpg

I agree with Paul that an extra day is the best option-

I realize that you've been there before. but Rome IS the Eternal City

There are THIRTY sites visited on the average "Best of Rome" Tour. ;)

totally agree... one way or another we are going to go :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Hilton at FCO airport offers a free shuttle into Rome. It also has the easiest access to the airport - a 'walking bridge' right from the hotel directly into the airport. We've stayed there twice and it was quite easy.

Good luck with your planning and enjoy both Oceania and St. Peter's Basilica!

Donna

The Hilton at FCO airport offers a free shuttle into Rome. It also has the easiest access to the airport - a 'walking bridge' right from the hotel directly into the airport. We've stayed there twice and it was quite easy.

Good luck with your planning and enjoy both Oceania and St. Peter's Basilica!

Donna

thanks!