Beverage package - up to $8 NOT $9

Linaeve

Hi Everyone! I have seen some discussion back and forth on whether with the drink packages (by itself or with the Explorer4 deal) that the top value went from $8 a drink to $9 a drink. This is not accurate. I checked with my PCC and then also called the Onboard Package services number and they confirmed that more recently it went from $7 to $8 but it has NOT increased to $9. I just wanted people to be aware so you have the right expectations on the ship.

Cheers!

It may or may not have increased to $9, but the increase from $7 to $8 wasn't all that recent, either.

I always take what Seattle says with a grain of salt; they are not often correct. People on board, or recently returned, are much better at getting the facts right.

Perhaps but I'm still cautious since I have had two HAL reps tell me it was $8 and their website says $8. Hrm. I don't want to get my hopes up for the $9. I guess I will see in 12 days!

As someone who pays slightly more than a little attention to this topic, I can tell you that the price limit makes no practical difference. I've been watching the prices and the drink lists since the Signature Beverage Package started a few years ago. There has been practically no change in what you can get on the SBP. I haven't seen anything "price up and out" of the SBP. I have seen a couple of things price "down and into" the SBP. (Most importantly - to me, anyway - Maker's Mark Bourbon.)

The SBP limit has been adjusted to keep pace with drink prices. If you are familiar with pension calculations for Cost of Living, think of this as Cost of Drinking adjustments.

If you are interested in "cocktail arbitrage," you should be aware that the cost of the purchased SBP has remained pretty constant even though drink prices went up.

[quote name=POA1;52848271

The SBP limit has been adjusted to keep pace with drink prices. If you are familiar with pension calculations for Cost of Living' date=' think of this as Cost of Drinking adjustments.

If you are interested in "cocktail arbitrage," you should be aware that the cost of the purchased SBP has remained pretty constant even though drink prices went up.[/quote]

I think I need to ask my employer for a Cost of Drinking raise!

As someone who pays slightly more than a little attention to this topic, I can tell you that the price limit makes no practical difference. I've been watching the prices and the drink lists since the Signature Beverage Package started a few years ago. There has been practically no change in what you can get on the SBP. I haven't seen anything "price up and out" of the SBP. I have seen a couple of things price "down and into" the SBP. (Most importantly - to me, anyway - Maker's Mark Bourbon.)

The SBP limit has been adjusted to keep pace with drink prices. If you are familiar with pension calculations for Cost of Living, think of this as Cost of Drinking adjustments.

If you are interested in "cocktail arbitrage," you should be aware that the cost of the purchased SBP has remained pretty constant even though drink prices went up.

It just made a difference in that I noticed a few drinks that went up in price (margarita for one) that are now over $8, so if the increase did happen, then it's fine, but if it didn't, then it's no longer covered. This is important since you aren't just paying the difference but paying the full cost if it is over the limit. I don't want to end up finding out that the 4 margs I have on the ship end up costing me full price.

So that is all really, just want to plan accordingly and didn't want to expect all under $9 to be included if it was in fact still $9.

I don't cruise very often, is it common for changes to be made without it reflecting on their website? I believe people on here, but part of me goes "If I don't have it in writing, don't count on it".

It is but the wines by the glass at $9 is still limited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Do you know if they offer a Riesling by the glass that can be had under the SBP? I seem to recall checking some of the menus posted online, and didn't see a Riesling under the limit.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks. Do you know if they offer a Riesling by the glass that can be had under the SBP? I seem to recall checking some of the menus posted online, and didn't see a Riesling under the limit.

Enjoy your cruise!

I saw some menus here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2474965&page=5

I see a Snoqualmie Winemaker's Select, Riesling, WA for $7.25 a glass.

Enjoy your cruise!

I rather skip the whole beverage package thing, order the drink I want and pay for it. I don't want to fret bout t a glass of wine I might want being $1 too high for their package What in the world is it worth to stress about a d rink price while antciipating one's vacation? That is worth nothing to me. I go gto a bar, order what I want, enjoy it and pay tthe bill. Far More fun. :)looking forward to my cruse that way.we wine you like.er you can have then on the ship yet but are worryint if you dan have the wine you enjoy.

You arent even on the ship yet but are already concerned you canot have the d rink you watr.

Edited by sail7seas

Lianaeve: Why Not drop the drink package thing?. simply buy whatever drinks you want? So much stress over a $1 more a drink and nor beig able to drink what you want. Why not drop the drink package and when you get to the ship, drink what you want without fre tting whether you can have it or not. :rolleyes:

Hi Everyone! I have seen some discussion back and forth on whether with the drink packages (by itself or with the Explorer4 deal) that the top value went from $8 a drink to $9 a drink. This is not accurate. I checked with my PCC and then also called the Onboard Package services number and they confirmed that more recently it went from $7 to $8 but it has NOT increased to $9. I just wanted people to be aware so you have the right expectations on the ship.

Cheers!

With NCL the beverage package covers alcoholic drinks up to $15! :)

I just spoke with someone on the phone and they assured me the Elite package was for drinks up to $15. This better be the way it is since the upcharge from signature to Elite was significant! The person above that wrote the Signature was up to $9 and the Elite to $13 would NOT be cool. Not for what I'm paying for 14 days.

Lianaeve: Why Not drop the drink package thing?. simply buy whatever drinks you want? So much stress over a $1 more a drink and nor beig able to drink what you want. Why not drop the drink package and when you get to the ship, drink what you want without fre tting whether you can have it or not. :rolleyes:

I'm with you on this..;p

Just left the Koningsdam on Saturday and we had the signature beverage package which we then upgraded to elite package for a top up fee of $10 per day. For us it was worth every cent we paid for it. We had all drinks up to $15 included in the package and this included many of the fantastic Malt Whisky available on-board. I know I tried most of them. Romall who looked after the Whisky was very good to point out discreetly what was in and what was not in my package so never overspent. One last thing that may add or clear up confusion was a last day offer that was made available. for just under $30 you could have the Signature Beverage for drinks up to $9 each but only for the last day of the cruise. This was a transatlantic cruise so this offer may not be widely available on other ships.

While I understand where you are coming from, the drink package makes a HUGE difference to some of us. High end wine and tequila are VERY much worth fretting over if we just ordered what we wanted without a package. It's a very good deal for some of us. While it may not be to you... or you may not care what your bar bill is at the end of a cruise, I sure know what my bar bill has been in the past and $884 per person for a 14 day cruise is a great deal to us. It's still one of the WORST drink packages offered at sea...

SaveSave

While I understand where you are coming from, the drink package makes a HUGE difference to some of us. High end wine and tequila are VERY much worth fretting over if we just ordered what we wanted without a package. It's a very good deal for some of us. While it may not be to you... or you may not care what your bar bill is at the end of a cruise, I sure know what my bar bill has been in the past and $884 per person for a 14 day cruise is a great deal to us. It's still one of the WORST drink packages offered at sea...

SaveSave

And NCL is one, (if not the BEST) drink packages at sea, with alcoholic drinks up to $15!!! ;p

And NCL is one, (if not the BEST) drink packages at sea, with alcoholic drinks up to $15!!! ;p

Since we're going on NCL this fall, I did a pretty thorough comparison. NCL's drink prices start out significantly higher and their low end beverage package is significantly worse than HAL's SBP.

When you get an NCL Ultimate Beverage Package (equivalent to the HAL Elite Beverage Package) as a perk, NCL charges you 20% service charge on the package cost. I can see it sitting on my account already.

Here's an example: Espresso Martini on HAL is covered by the SBP. If you go to the Crow's Nest or the Pinnacle Bar, they'll make it with fresh espresso. On NCL, it's $3+ OVER the $15 limit. Most (possibly all) of HAL's signature cocktails are covered by the SBP. Most of the NCL signature cocktails are covered, but their base price is way over the HAL base price for the same drink.

If you want a really good beverage package, look at Carnival. Their per drink limit is $50. That's not a typo. Not only that, but they have prices much more in line with HAL than with NCL. They do, however, have a hard stop at 15*drinks per day. I've never cruised on Carnival, and don't have a desire to, but that's one heck of a drink package limit.

I got the drink package with the Explorer4 deal. Part of it is money too. We don't have a ton of it, we safe for the cruise but I am going to take advantage of the deal. The perk of knowing what the max is that I can try new things. There may be a wine that I want to try but I don't want to pay $9 for a wine that I may not like. Knowing the price range will allow me to explore and try a bunch of different drinks and wine without worrying about the cost since it will be covered. I would never pay $8 or $9 a glass without knowing if I would even kind of enjoy it. Otherwise i'm really paying $8 for a sip and the rest gets poured down the drain.

As for if there is a drink that I know I like that is over the limit, I'll absolutely still order it, in moderation. But I am looking forward to the chance to try new things without it costing me anything.

SaveSave

I made a suggestion, that is all. If you don't like it, fine,, maybe someone might. (tAcutually Jim Avery posted he agrees. ) It is merely something i I would do. Each , of course will do what they want in this and every other regard.