Back to Back (sort of) Transatlantic Cruises

riddle

I am retired with no set obligations and I love to cruise. I am flying to Barcelona at the end of this month to take a transatlantic back to Florida.

Has anyone ever been able to do "sort of" back to back cruises, i.e. take a transatlantic to a European city, stay a few days or so and take a different transatlantic back (on different ships or lines obviously)?

My flight to Barcelona is expensive and I was just thinking that if this is possible it might be a better future way to do it. I would not have a problem flying to a different city in Europe for the second half.

There are internet sites where you can search for all the cruises in a specific region - including transatlantics. They will give you a list of dates and To/From ports. You can even specify that you want to return to the same port. CC rules forbid posting other sites that might sell vacations to go. ;)

Cunard has weekly transatlantics. That is the only line I'm aware of that heads TO Europe this time of year. Everyone is bringing their ships back for the winter cruising in the sun, they send them to Europe to not have to sail through hurricane season.

Look forward to meeting you!

Cunard often sell their Transatlantic crossing at rock bottom prices - NYC to Southampton - That's the only line who does true crossings. The others are simply re positions in Spring and Fall. You could tie in a cunard crossing with either the spring or fall TA on most lines.

From/To London its simple to find cheap air around Europe or catch the ferry or chunnel.

Cunard has weekly transatlantics. That is the only line I'm aware of that heads TO Europe this time of year. Everyone is bringing their ships back for the winter cruising in the sun, they send them to Europe to not have to sail through hurricane season.

Cunard go back and forth weekly - not just "twice per year" as other lines do.

I am retired with no set obligations and I love to cruise. I am flying to Barcelona at the end of this month to take a transatlantic back to Florida.

Has anyone ever been able to do "sort of" back to back cruises, i.e. take a transatlantic to a European city, stay a few days or so and take a different transatlantic back (on different ships or lines obviously)?

My flight to Barcelona is expensive and I was just thinking that if this is possible it might be a better future way to do it. I would not have a problem flying to a different city in Europe for the second half.

What cruise line are you taking the TA on at the end of this month?

Princess, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity negotiate great one way airfares for their passengers, but other cruise line do not.

Cunard does NOT do weekly transatlantics. QM2 does do perhaps a dozen crossings in each direction per year. It looks likely that NCL's spring TA's get to Europe about the time QM2 finishes her World Cruise and crosses to New York. These would be the NCL pairings for 2017. Some would require a near immediate return while others would allow time for a cruise in Europe. Cunard is assumed to be from Southbound although some start in Hamburg with embarkation in Southampton also possible:

Epic April 1-14; QM2 May 8

Jade 4/30 to 5/14, QM2 May 24

Getaway 4/30 to 5/16. QM2 May 24

QM2 9/7-14, Jade 9/25 to 10/6

QM2 10/6-13 Getaway 10/15-29

QM2 10/20-27 Epic 11/5-18

QM2 10/20-27 Star 11/5-20

People who do this should believe variety is the spice of life, Cunard is very formal with a jacket required every night.

I'm doing this for 3 straight falls, returning on Wind Star in 2014, Allure OTS in 2015, and Seabourn Odyssey next month.

Roy

... they send them to Europe to not have to sail through hurricane season.

I always thought the ships were deployed to Europe to sail in Europe to destinations like the Mediterranean, British Isles and the Baltics. I never thought it was hurricane avoidance maneuver.

It's probably too late for you, but what I do is book a round trip. So in this case fly to Barcelona in Oct 2016, do a TA from Europe to USA in Oct2016, then do a TA from USA to Europe in Spring2017 and fly back to USA from Barcelona after that. Much less expensive to do TAs in the "normal" transition season.

It's probably too late for you, but what I do is book a round trip. So in this case fly to Barcelona in Oct 2016, do a TA from Europe to USA in Oct2016, then do a TA from USA to Europe in Spring2017 and fly back to USA from Barcelona after that. Much less expensive to do TAs in the "normal" transition season.

We also found that crazily roundtrip international airfare is significantly cheaper than one way. The difference can pay for an inside cabin. So we booked rt air for the ta last April from TX to Barcelona on the Jade. We are using the return portion the end of this month for the return ta on the Jade from Barcelona.

We also found that crazily roundtrip international airfare is significantly cheaper than one way. The difference can pay for an inside cabin. So we booked rt air for the ta last April from TX to Barcelona on the Jade. We are using the return portion the end of this month for the return ta on the Jade from Barcelona.

You can find reasonably priced one way air, you just have to be creative. It's inexpensive to fly to different cities in Europe on Easy Jet and then back to the US. Last April I discovered Thomas Cook Airlines flying out of Manchester and it gave me a reason to get out of London and discover York on the way to Manchester. I flew back to Miami for $330.00 one way.

Again, through Princess, RC and Celebrity you can book one way low cost airfare. Too bad NCL won't help their guests that way.

Edited by Lido_Deck

We have done two TA cruises. On one, we purchased one way tickets on choice air with the cruise line. Prices were great. On the other TA we used miles for one way and that worked great. We have a TA booked for October 2017 out of Southampton and one way tourist tickets are available for 30,000 per ticket. Not bad.

Yes, that's what I said :) but it sounds now like it's not that often.

My search pulled up 62 crossings between October 16 and May 18

perhaps not exactly weekly - but for sure a LOT huh

Great minds - we posted at the same time :)

They are sold here as low as £599 -

For sure not Queens Grill at that price - but pretty low for a TA crossing.

And you can take your doggy :D

My search pulled up 62 crossings between October 16 and May 18

perhaps not exactly weekly - but for sure a LOT huh

Great minds - we posted at the same time :)

They are sold here as low as £599 -

For sure not Queens Grill at that price - but pretty low for a TA crossing.

And you can take your doggy :D

Did you look at the details. It sounds like you probably pulled up a lot of duplicates. For example the voyage may start in Hamburg, pick up passengers in Southampton, and then return from New York to Southampton and possibly Hamburg. That would show up as 4 separate crossings, Hamburg to NY, Southampton to NY, RT from Hamburg, and RT from Southampton. Still many more crossings than other cruise lines but not as many as the search suggests.

You can take your doggy, but probably need to make reservations WAY in advance. I know the kennels were expanded in the recent drydock but I expect demand still way outstrips supply.

Roy

Back in 2010 when the volcanic ash was creating havoc over Europe we almost took the Cunard over to our trip on the Sun as we were concerned over flight getting cancelled. Worked out in the end but we did get in a day late due to flight issues in the States.

You can find reasonably priced one way air, you just have to be creative. It's inexpensive to fly to different cities in Europe on Easy Jet and then back to the US. Last April I discovered Thomas Cook Airlines flying out of Manchester and it gave me a reason to get out of London and discover York on the way to Manchester. I flew back to Miami for $330.00 one way.

Again, through Princess, RC and Celebrity you can book one way low cost airfare. Too bad NCL won't help their guests that way.

Depends on your home airport. El Paso TX is our closest airport. Not a lot of options from Barcelona.

Also, my husband is mobility challenged and requires an airport wheelchair. So it is much easier to fly directly from Barcelona to a gateway city in US then on to El Paso.

I don't know why you think NCL doesn't provide low cost air for their guests. They DO. We've used it twice in the past when it was a cheaper option than discount sites but since this time we wanted a 3 night pre-cruise stay in Barcelona, by the time we would pay deviation costs and difference in airfare it was cheaper to find our own flights.

Edited by NMLady

Depends on your home airport. El Paso TX is our closest airport. Not a lot of options from Barcelona.

Also, my husband is mobility challenged and requires an airport wheelchair. So it is much easier to fly directly from Barcelona to a gateway city in US then on to El Paso.

I don't know why you think NCL doesn't provide low cost air for their guests. They DO. We've used it twice in the past when it was a cheaper option than discount sites but since this time we wanted a 3 night pre-cruise stay in Barcelona, by the time we would pay deviation costs and difference in airfare it was cheaper to find our own flights.

El Paso? You didn't tell us that. That's a cross country journey in itself.

My point was to fly to whatever European city that is least expensive, enjoy that city for a night or two, then fly to Barcelona. In your case you should fly to Ft Lauderdale, Miami, New York, Boston, etc., spend a night or two then fly to Barcelona or maybe some other European city.

From FLL I was getting one way fares to BCN (1 stop Oslo 3 Hrs, 15 Min) for $321 on Norwegian Air.

~or~

Fly nonstop from FLL to Oslo for $219 (8 Hrs, 35 Min) spend a night or two then fly to Barcelona for $47-$90 depending on airline and day.

I understand your dilemma now, El Paso complicates travel.

Yesterday I helped a friend book your TA on the Epic which is just 9 days away. He booked a Studio Cabin for $389 including one perk. He chose the UBP and paid the $158 in drink gratuities. Personally, I would have chosen the pre-paid gratuities for 13 days of $175.5.

For air from Orlando he booked the equivalent of $282 from MCO to Palma Mallorca. That's if you book it on the UK pound part of the Norwegian airline site. The same flight is $360 if you book on the US $ part of the same site. The air is likely to go way up anytime now. The more convenient flight direct to Barcelona is already far more.

From Palma Mallorca he will have to take an overnight ferryboat to Barcelona. 2 days travelling in all. It will be an adventure.

One way transatlantic flights need not cost a fortune if you go from a major airport served by WOW or Norwegian airline. Typically $300 or so to many destinations in Europe even allowing for the checked baggage charge.

One way transatlantic flights need not cost a fortune if you go from a major airport served by WOW or Norwegian airline. Typically $300 or so to many destinations in Europe even allowing for the checked baggage charge.

See my post directly above yours.

Yesterday I helped a friend book your TA on the Epic which is just 9 days away. He booked a Studio Cabin for $389 including one perk. He chose the UBP and paid the $158 in drink gratuities. Personally, I would have chosen the pre-paid gratuities for 13 days of $175.5.

For air from Orlando he booked the equivalent of $282 from MCO to Palma Mallorca. That's if you book it on the UK pound part of the Norwegian airline site. The same flight is $360 if you book on the US $ part of the same site. The air is likely to go way up anytime now. The more convenient flight direct to Barcelona is already far more.

From Palma Mallorca he will have to take an overnight ferryboat to Barcelona. 2 days travelling in all. It will be an adventure.

Actually his friend did a bit more digging and found that Norwegian Airline have a 6.25am flight from Palma to Barcelona on the 30th October which arrives at the same time the ferry would - and the total cost is only 16 pounds 90 . Which is about $20. Much less than the other airlines or the ferryboat.

Gotta love those Norwegians.............................. way long layover though..................

Edited by Griller