Beneficial tips when booking...

janecambridge

...are there any? We have held a cabin for a cruise in January 2018 as we going to a small travel show run by our agent who has Oceania there.Apparently there will be some good offers and perks for attending and booking.I just wondered if there is any ' bargaining' that can be done? Has anyone managed to talk an Oceania rep into a good deal,face to face? Thank you.

What country are you in. A lot of the bargaining depends on that.

What do you me held -- do you have a booking number and down payment made...

Do you have a good TA and what benefits can they give you directly (not from O).

If its an O sponsored event -- you can try to get them to give you the on board discount --- good luck -- but worth a try...

Does your TA offer group deals? Our TA gets us into "groups" which gives us additional OBC (above what Oceania offers), free gratuities and a post-cruise rebate check.

Also, check out this Conde Nast article for tips:

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2009-02-01/insider-tips-on-cruise-deals

What country are you in. A lot of the bargaining depends on that.

What do you me held -- do you have a booking number and down payment made...

Do you have a good TA and what benefits can they give you directly (not from O).

If its an O sponsored event -- you can try to get them to give you the on board discount --- good luck -- but worth a try...

I'm in England.Our agent doesn't book enough at any one time for a group discount.my agent does give obc per booking too.our ' held' cabin is just literally held for a week.I initially asked my agent for a quote and to see what cabins were available and she held the cabin we are interested in.No payment made yet.

I will read the Conde Nast article. Thank you.

Does your TA offer group deals? Our TA gets us into "groups" which gives us additional OBC (above what Oceania offers), free gratuities and a post-cruise rebate check.

Also, check out this Conde Nast article for tips:

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2009-02-01/insider-tips-on-cruise-deals

1. get a agent who is in the connoisseur club of O's top-top agents..if not time to go shopping till you find one.. interview and lay out what you expect.. discounts, rebates etc.

2. book with that agent who can create groups and or add you to an existing group you will get all sorts of special deals from prepaid gratuities to Onboard credit

3. Develop a long term relation intent and show the agent he will have your loyal business if he produces for you in turn

4. Never book in a time sensitive deal like a show or special... having an agent will get you far more.

5.Book well ahead a year or so and empower your agent to act on deals he will get.. If you book direct you will never hear of them...like up sells. rebates, down sell.. all dorts of things

6. Be loyal to a specific line...dont be jumping all over looking for cheap deals to any ship that has a special....Loyality pays off for the line and they make it worth your while to be loyal...

Hawaiidan I have taken to heart what you are saying about getting an agent who is in the concierge's category with oceania. I have to tell you I have been extremely frustrated looking for one on the Internet. I have used of different keywords and every agency I have called, do not fulfill that status.

Happily the booking I have coming up in February, the agency we booked with did have a group. We were able to get additional OBC and prepaid gratuities. However I don't expect that to be the case necessarily for other cruises in the future. I did read the article, that you mentioned and did not come away with a particular agency name.

At this point I am hoping that my sister and girlfriend will find a reference on their cruise this coming November, or we will when we are actually on the ship.

The agent that I used all the time has retired. Agency was sold, and I do not like the new owners.

Vicki

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have taken to heart what you are saying about getting an agent who is in the concierge's category with oceania.

Vicki

Are you searching for concierge club or oceania connoisseur club?

Once onboard you can always ask your fellow shipmates if they are happy with their TA

Lyn

IMO, it is most important that you identify yourself as living in the U.K. as the consumer protection laws are very different than in the U.S. and Canada. There are many passengers from the U.K. that use TA's both there and in the U.S. and are able to get a percentage of their cruise fare back as well as getting on board credits on certain itineraries.

I recommend that you do some research and see which avenue will provide you with the best benefits. In general, Oceania is not cruise line where you can bargain prices. However, there are specials offered in the U.K. that are better than what is offered in North America.

Lht28 thank you for the correction it is Oceania connoisseur club that I am looking up not concierge's club. I actually have called a couple of agencies listed and they don't seem to have a clue lol

I would agree

some online TA's are just order takers

Keep looking you will find the right one someday ;)

Travelcat2 we live in the US. Just looking for agencies that might have group bookings.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Group bookings also come from the consolidator like Virtuoso, Ensemble and others where the Travel Agency is affiliated. I have a cruise booked with a group booking but my agent has no other passengers on the itinerary. It's through her consolidator.

IMO, it is most important that you identify yourself as living in the U.K. as the consumer protection laws are very different than in the U.S. and Canada. There are many passengers from the U.K. that use TA's both there and in the U.S. and are able to get a percentage of their cruise fare back as well as getting on board credits on certain itineraries.

I recommend that you do some research and see which avenue will provide you with the best benefits. In general, Oceania is not cruise line where you can bargain prices. However, there are specials offered in the U.K. that are better than what is offered in North America.

Thank you but I have tried many times to get a quote from a travel agent in the USA but I can't get past the zip code part as we have postcodes.I also tried to email,to no avail,all I get is more emails with really good offers on ( mainly cruise only).

I now have a decent list of 'questions' for the Oceania rep and a few cheaper quotes for Wednesday's show.I can see quite clearly now how to approach a new booking thanks to so many helpful people here on cruise critic.If we get the 2018 cruise booked,in the cabin we want,come and join us for dinner.

Many many thanks.

Jane from England..😀

Hawaiidan I have taken to heart what you are saying about getting an agent who is in the concierge's category with oceania. I have to tell you I have been extremely frustrated looking for one on the Internet. I have used of different keywords and every agency I have called, do not fulfill that status.

Happily the booking I have coming up in February, the agency we booked with did have a group. We were able to get additional OBC and prepaid gratuities. However I don't expect that to be the case necessarily for other cruises in the future. I did read the article, that you mentioned and did not come away with a particular agency name.

At this point I am hoping that my sister and girlfriend will find a reference on their cruise this coming November, or we will when we are actually on the ship.

The agent that I used all the time has retired. Agency was sold, and I do not like the new owners.

Vicki

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are a number of internet agencies that will give you at least 5% back in OBC or a check. Some maybe higher if they are putting together a group.

I do not know if you have checked O lists of recommended TA's

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/find-agent/

I am overseas know and have a foreign IP so I cannot see the US agents. But certainly worth a check..