New to Cunard - 1st sailing on QM2 New England - Observations from a newbie so far

mtsublueraider

As you can see in my signature below we've done quite a bit of cruising for a young couple but all of it has been on RCI. We've decided to flip our habits on its head and cross of a bucket list item..... sailing on one of the Queens... and doing a New England trip. How are we doing so far?

To be frank, we could only afford an interior room but were excited to score one of the new interior cabins on deck 13. Does anyone happen to know a link to a picture to see the new rooms or have any thoughts on the location? We have always had a balcony on RCI but figure with that location we will be able to pop out the door and onto the sundeck to get outside.

As far as being new to the cruise line it's been a little confusing.... on RCI we would get a schedule that showed what time the ship departed port and what time it arrived in the next port. Does Cunard not do that? All I've been able to see is "early evening" or "morning" and things like that. Any help would be appreciated.

And, honestly, for a new customer it's not very clear on where to go in New York city. After a web search I think it's the Brooklyn cruise terminal. Can anyone confirm? You would think that would be pretty easy to see in your documents on the website. That, on top of not being able to make final payment via the website seems strange to me....

HOWEVER, we are excited about the elegance of the sailing. I know some have talked about the dress code but it's GOT to be better than RCI or other lines. Looking forward to experiencing the NEW QM2!

Welcome to Cunard. It will be different than RCI.

We may be on the same cruise on QM2 departing 9/27. I have printed out the schedule and it does not give exact timing for arrival or departures. I assume we will get that after we board.

They do give us the dress code for each evening. Unlike RCI, most passenger comply with the evening dress. You will find a quieter ship without the bellyflop contests. They also do not have bells and whistles such as Rock Climbing Walls, wave riders, water and ice skating shows, bumper cars or carousels.

You will have great lectures, a planetarium with several different shows, and entertainment that is more highbrow. You won't have any trouble finding a quiet place to relax or read.

Cunard leaves from Brooklyn. We stay overnight at the Brooklyn Marriott and have a very short cab ride in the morning.

Karen

Welcome to Cunard. It will be different than RCI.

We may be on the same cruise on QM2 departing 9/27. I have printed out the schedule and it does not give exact timing for arrival or departures. I assume we will get that after we board.

They do give us the dress code for each evening. Unlike RCI, most passenger comply with the evening dress. You will find a quieter ship without the bellyflop contests. They also do not have bells and whistles such as Rock Climbing Walls, wave riders, water and ice skating shows, bumper cars or carousels.

You will have great lectures, a planetarium with several different shows, and entertainment that is more highbrow. You won't have any trouble finding a quiet place to relax or read.

Cunard leaves from Brooklyn. We stay overnight at the Brooklyn Marriott and have a very short cab ride in the morning.

Karen

Thank you for the reply! And yes we are on the same sailing. Isn't that odd not to have the times? For someone who's used to doing our "own" excursions instead of booking through the ship that does make it hard to pre-book transportation or tours. Know what I mean?

I can't tell you how excited I am about the laid back and classy atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, when we're in the caribbean I don't mind the tropical theme and laid back style... but on board this ship... on this schedule.... at this time of the year.... this seems perfect!

Thanks for the confirmation about Red Hook. I think we're going to try the Conrad NYC to be close to One World Trade for the museum and observation deck tour. Really something we feel we should do to pay respect and remember. See you on board!

Read your post and had to tell you of our experience on the QM2 in May. My friend Bev and I booked a cruise from Southampton to New York in May and was using it as a way back from a TA that we had done from Houston to Southampton. We both have cruised a lot but never been on Cunard. We LOVED every minute of it. It was like stepping back in time when cruising was very special and elegant. We could not wait to sail on her again so we booked the Sept 27th cruise to Canada and back. Now we can't wait to see her after she has been in dry dock for a refit. We did dress for the theme nights and that was so special. Personally I think it will be hard to so back to a mass market cruise after being on one of the Queens. :D

Cunard's unwillingness to post scheduled arrival times is a bit maddening when it comes to trying to schedule independent excursions and acitivites. Often you can find more precise scheduled times on the websites of the respective port authorities. But you're correct, the times for all of the ports will be in the Daily Programme on embarkation day or the next day.

Cunard should mail you a printed set of documentation some time after the final payment date, or you can opt out of mailing and choose to download the same document (without minor personalization that appears in the mailed copy) a few weeks earlier. It will list available excursions and information such as how to get to the port as well as some pre-printed luggage tags but the book still only shows general timings for arrival and departure. You'll need to download and print your boarding documentation in either event.

Enjoy your New England cruise. Our first-ever cruise was a New York-Quebec City roundtrip in 2010.

Edited by Underwatr

Welcome to Cunard. I'm sure we all hope you'll be as comfortable aboard as we are.

As you've noticed, advance online information is not Cunard's strong suit. (To be frank, the website is an embarrassment) However, the experience aboard is delightful and almost impeccable. Some notes.

- Unlike many ships where most passengers spend most of their daytime hours on the pool/buffet/spa decks near the top of the ship, on the QM2, life is centered around decks 2&3 (a result of her design to accommodate crossings and non-tropical cruises) so you'll become very familiar with the elevators. (Luckily there are many)

- Yes. she docks in Red Hook, Brooklyn (a pretty desolate immediate neighborhood). You didn't ask about transportation, but let me put in my two cents. We travel to NY roughly annually - usually flying in and out. I've become a big fan of Dial7 (dial7.com or 212-777-7777) for fast and reliable private car service. We used them for pickup in Red Hook last month. There's a recent thread in this forum on this topic.

- Another tip - although we've cruised Cunard often through the years, last month's version of the menu in Britannia Restaurant menu had no "always available" items. I found out here that steak, salmon, and chicken breast can be requested from your waiter at dinner.

Read your post and had to tell you of our experience on the QM2 in May. My friend Bev and I booked a cruise from Southampton to New York in May and was using it as a way back from a TA that we had done from Houston to Southampton. We both have cruised a lot but never been on Cunard. We LOVED every minute of it. It was like stepping back in time when cruising was very special and elegant. We could not wait to sail on her again so we booked the Sept 27th cruise to Canada and back. Now we can't wait to see her after she has been in dry dock for a refit. We did dress for the theme nights and that was so special. Personally I think it will be hard to so back to a mass market cruise after being on one of the Queens. :D

Thank you so much for posting! Looks like we will be seeing you on board! We will not be on the sailing "back" from Canada but will be leaving from New York. Honestly, I've always admired the elegance of the ships but only now am learning about how formal it is.... and for us.... we CANT WAIT!

Cunard's unwillingness to post scheduled arrival times is a bit maddening when it comes to trying to schedule independent excursions and acitivites. Often you can find more precise scheduled times on the websites of the respective port authorities. But you're correct, the times for all of the ports will be in the Daily Programme on embarkation day or the next day.

Enjoy your New England cruise. Our first-ever cruise was a New York-Quebec City roundtrip in 2010.

Ha! I told them the exact same thing on the phone. I'm someone who books, or plans, my excursions on my own. Especially with most of the stops being in the United States I'm certainly comfortable getting around on my own.

If anyone is interested... here's what they gave me...

8a-4p Newport

9a-11p Boston

9a-5p Sydney

8am arrival in Quebec City (overnight stay)

Welcome to Cunard. I'm sure we all hope you'll be as comfortable aboard as we are.

As you've noticed, advance online information is not Cunard's strong suit. (To be frank, the website is an embarrassment) However, the experience aboard is delightful and almost impeccable. Some notes.

- Unlike many ships where most passengers spend most of their daytime hours on the pool/buffet/spa decks near the top of the ship, on the QM2, life is centered around decks 2&3 (a result of her design to accommodate crossings and non-tropical cruises) so you'll become very familiar with the elevators. (Luckily there are many)

- Yes. she docks in Red Hook, Brooklyn (a pretty desolate immediate neighborhood). You didn't ask about transportation, but let me put in my two cents. We travel to NY roughly annually - usually flying in and out. I've become a big fan of Dial7 (dial7.com or 212-777-7777) for fast and reliable private car service. We used them for pickup in Red Hook last month. There's a recent thread in this forum on this topic.

- Another tip - although we've cruised Cunard often through the years, last month's version of the menu in Britannia Restaurant menu had no "always available" items. I found out here that steak, salmon, and chicken breast can be requested from your waiter at dinner.

This is VERY helpful! Thank you for taking the time to post. I don't understand why the website won't let you access your profile and cruise to make final payment on the website. That seems like a fairly common thing to be able to do.

That's also really different about where people spend their time. I didn't know how busy the "sun deck" would be outside where our "new deck 13 cabins" have been installed. I'm hoping to use this interior cabin as a cheating alternative. (Because I can walk out of the cabin and nearly immediately be on deck)

I'll certainly look up the transfer options. Seeing out Uber ride fro LGA to our hotel could run in excess of $40! Where I come from I can rent a car for a day at those prices. Ha!

Thanks, as well, for the tips on the menu. My wife is expecting our second child so the chicken or fish standby may be a good option for her on a few nights.

I can already tell this is going to be a special trip.

...I'll certainly look up the transfer options. Seeing out Uber ride fro LGA to our hotel could run in excess of $40! Where I come from I can rent a car for a day at those prices. Ha!

...I can already tell this is going to be a special trip.

Rule #1 for NY travel. Try not to compare prices for anything to what it costs elsewhere. It's a route to useless madness. Compare with local alternatives. I don't know where your hotel is located, but $40 to midtown isn't bad (most quotes do not include bridge tools or tip) - especially with cruise luggage. FYI taxi fares from airports to Manhattan are fixed by law.

For what it's worth, Dial7 (and competitors like Carmel 666-666-6666) is price-competitive with cabs and Uber/Lyft - given the relative advantages and convenience of each.

...corollary to Rule #1 - If you come from a city like NY (or SF) - when travelling elsewhere, especially to cities you heard were expensive, prices seem reasonable at worst, and often - a bargain!

Edited by MarkBearSF

Rule #1 for NY travel. Try not to compare prices for anything to what it costs elsewhere. It's a route to useless madness. Compare with local alternatives. I don't know where your hotel is located, but $40 to midtown isn't bad (most quotes do not include bridge tools or tip) - especially with cruise luggage. FYI taxi fares from airports to Manhattan are fixed by law.

For what it's worth, Dial7 (and competitors like Carmel 666-666-6666) is price-competitive with cabs and Uber/Lyft - given the relative advantages and convenience of each.

...corollary to Rule #1 - If you come from a city like NY (or SF) - when travelling elsewhere, especially to cities you heard were expensive, prices seem reasonable at worst, and often - a bargain!

I love it.... a route to useless madness. Yeah, I think the best plan for us is to limit the times we need to travel by taxi. We'll go from airport to world trade center area... and then from hotel to cruise port. Just two cab rides. Just need to factor that into the budget. With luggage it's just best to hand over the credit card!

Welcome to Cunard and the experience of sailing on One of the Queens.

We have quite a number of sailings under our belt on the Queens and always look forward to returning.

You will see it a different style of sailing and dress onboard.

Features we love sailing with evening dress, set dining times and always the traditional and historical style.

Enjoy!

... We've decided to flip our habits on its head and cross of a bucket list item..... sailing on one of the Queens... and doing a New England trip. How are we doing so far?...

Good afternoon from me.

My wife and I did this itinerary a few years ago as part of a back to back Atlantic crossing.

The full itinerary can be found in the review I wrote on my cruise blog...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/03/21/queen-mary-2-grand-new-england-and-canadian-wonders-cruise/

There are plenty of pictures and of course there are new carpets now: but the basics remain.

You are in for a treat.

Good afternoon from me.

My wife and I did this itinerary a few years ago as part of a back to back Atlantic crossing.

The full itinerary can be found in the review I wrote on my cruise blog...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/03/21/queen-mary-2-grand-new-england-and-canadian-wonders-cruise/

There are plenty of pictures and of course there are new carpets now: but the basics remain.

You are in for a treat.

Perfect!! Thank you!

I did think of another, maybe silly, question but are any of the pool decks reserved for grills or higher staterooms? We know in a standard room we are limited on resturaunts but are any pools or lounges based on accommodation? Thanks! (Commodore club? Etc?)

Perfect!! Thank you! I did think of another, maybe silly, question but are any of the pool decks reserved for grills or higher staterooms? We know in a standard room we are limited on resturaunts but are any pools or lounges based on accommodation? Thanks! (Commodore club? Etc?)
Hi mtsublueraider,

On QM2 one small deck area is reserved for "Grill" passengers. It has a hot tub, but no pool. Here it is (on a wet day in the north Atlantic):

QM2 "Grills" open deck area Deck 11

All other deck space and all the pools are open to everyone.

95% (I would guess) of the public rooms and deck space on the ship is open to all. I've only ever sailed as a Britannia grade passenger; I have never once missed the other 5%. The Commodore Club is open to all.

The only areas that are reserved for "Grill" passengers are:

Two smallish restaurants,

(small compared to the impressive Britannia Restaurant that 85% of passengers can use: QM2 Britannia Restaurant (15) ),

One small lounge and bar,

One even smaller (interior) lounge (sans bar),

And the bit of open deck seen above.

That's it. The remainder of this cast Ocean Liner is open to all passengers.

I understand that, on some cruise ships, whole sections of the ship (incuding I think, pools and much more) is "out of bounds" to the remainder of passengers (an exclusive "ship within a ship"); not so with QM2.

As well as room service, Britannia grade passengers have many choices of venue for all three main meals, don't please think that you've "limited" choice.

There are photos of the interior of QM2 taken during a "tour" of the ship via the link below (plus a few of inside cabins). I hope they help.

Have a great time in September :)

Edited by pepperrn

Grills passengers have a small deck area aft on deck 11 exclusively for their use, plus a small concierge lounge on deck 9 and a lounge bar on deck 7 opposite the Queen's Grill Restaurant. Everywhere else is open to everyone.

Perfect!! Thank you!

I did think of another, maybe silly, question but are any of the pool decks reserved for grills or higher staterooms? We know in a standard room we are limited on resturaunts but are any pools or lounges based on accommodation? Thanks! (Commodore club? Etc?)

The Grills exclusive Deck 11 after an early morning rain shower...

28112268056_be8ce503b2_z.jpg

Hi mtsublueraider,

On QM2 one small deck area is reserved for "Grill" passengers. It has a hot tub, but no pool. Here it is (on a wet day in the north Atlantic):

QM2 "Grills" open deck area Deck 11

All other deck space and all the pools are open to everyone.

The Grills exclusive Deck 11 after an early morning rain shower...

28112268056_be8ce503b2_z.jpg

Good morning pepper.

I guess you and I are the early birds out on deck.

;);)

Not the only Early Birds Richard

Here is a pic of The remastered Grills Deck area before the deck staff have placed the steamer cushions out. Deck 11 also hosts a Brand New Shower head !

Note the Larger Dog Walk area Above which used to be a viewing area for all guests.

IMG_9841.jpg.72415a3a8634f36e95ccd693bc62124f.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg.33120542b50250aaf0b67fbc6bcbd099.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg.594dda1d49c1fc90ebf105f93397b4f7.jpg

Edited by Pennbank

Not the only Early Birds Richard

Here is a pic of The remastered Grills Deck area before the deck staff have placed the steamer cushions out. Deck 11 also hosts a Brand New Shower head !

Note the Larger Dog Walk area Above which used to be a viewing area for all guests.

I'm happy for dogs having use of that nice viewing area, but I'm wondering if that area will be open to humans when the kennel is not in operation (which would be any voyage other than a transatlantic)?

I'm happy for dogs having use of that nice viewing area, but I'm wondering if that area will be open to humans when the kennel is not in operation (which would be any voyage other than a transatlantic)?

I would not have thought so due to the layout and the implementation of the gates.

With the larger dog walk area I am sure that the smell of Dogs etc was wafting down. But may have been the smell of the fuel.

Edited by Pennbank

I don't see why not (but time will tell).

After all, the existing exercise area along the starboard side and the existing gates were all thrown open to all two-legged passengers when the "Deck 12 Suite" wasn't being used by four-legged guests. I can't see why that policy would change.

As one example, I can't quite see them keeping this whole area closed off for the near-four-month world cruise each year (or indeed, any cruise).

But, as I said, time will tell. I certainly hope it is always open, as before.