Am I crazy....

Roxxy4me

Am I crazy for taking our baby on a cruise? He will be turning one while on the cruise.

When originally thinking about booking, it sounds fabulous! But after reading this forum, I'm starting to panic a little! As first-time parents, we've never had to think about all the baby gear!

We would fly to the port a few days in advance. I hadn't intended to take his car seat, but now I have to. Luckily it clicks into his travel system so I'll have car seat and stroller, but I'm afraid it'll be too big to maneuver around the ship! Should we get a second smaller stroller?

Also, as first-timers, I have no idea what my child will be eating at one year old! Also, it appears the pools on the ship are out, so I'm questioning the entertainment.... *sigh* Am I just biting off more than we can chew?!

we sailed with our son when he was 10 months old. while definitely different than sailing just dh and i we still had a good time. you will be on their schedule and it is hard to do what you want or really be able to relax. we sailed out of Baltimore when we went so we didn't have to worry about bringing a carseat since we drove to port. We brought an umbrella stroller, but on our last cruise we sailed with our 18 month old daughter and 3 yr old son and brought a double stroller and were able to maneuver around the ship just fine.

when our son was younger he ate a lot of fruit and each night in the dining room we would get him a fruit plate, he would eat bread and then try whatever dh and i were having. take bananas from the buffet and boxes of cereal to have on hand for quick snacks. they're great to take off the ship with you while in port too.

if you have any specific questions about our experiences i'll be happy to answer them :)

My twins turned 13 months on their first cruise and it ended up the greatest week we'd had together up to that point. I always say that unless you have someone doing all your cooking and cleaning at home, a cruise will let you spend more quality time with your baby than you have before. You definitely need to pack well and end up bringing lots more than ever before on a vacation, but it's all worth it.

Food-wise, it's a great time for baby. You can get all the milk you need, you can bring powdered formula if you're not breastfeeding, and there are tons of choices for the baby to try at all meals (cereal, yogurt, eggs, oatmeal at breakfast; cooled soups, steamed veggies, pastas, mashed potatoes, soft meats, etc. etc at dinner.).

Bring the stroller your child is used to, as long as it's regular width (not a wide jogger). As long as it's no wider than a wheelchair, you shouldn't have a problem. I did always choose cabins as close to the elevator as possible, to avoid navigating those narrow hallways, but even when we didn't get one, it always worked out.

Best,

Mia

Things might have changed, but your child will most likely fit in an infant car seat by then - do they make convertible ones that clip into strollers? You might even be able to wean him off the bottle/formula by then if bottle feeding. I think my kids were pretty much off of baby food by then, and my youngest (twins) ate mostly finger food.

I'd get a balcony for sure, and pick an itinerary with ports that have baby friendly activities. Personally, I wouldn't have taken my kids on a cruise as babies, because cruising means relaxing to me, and it would be easier to be home with a baby (and all of our equipment, pool, parks, vehicle), and I was never a fan of taking babies to restaurants.

Of course you're not crazy! When you have kids, they go with you! It's called "being a family"!

A baby on a cruises is no different from taking baby anywhere else...You will just have to bring all the "baby stuff", as ship's don't have much, if any, pediatric things....

That is a great age to cruise with a child. We did 7MO and 13MO with our twins... the next cruise at 23 months was much more difficult because we had to constantly keep them safe and out from underfoot. You don't realize as an adult, but there are stairs, fountains, and all manner of dangerous things all over a cruise ship. And very few doors to keep the child in a given space.

Anyway, that's something to look forward to later! :p At 1YO, the child can't (quickly) get away and will generally be entertained by people watching, playing with the parents, etc. It's true that you don't get any time off, though you can trade off with the other parent, but it's still much better than having to cook, clean, etc.

That said, many people choose to leave the child with relatives. There is a strong camp on both sides of that debate, so you won't be alone if you decide to go that way.

I don't think you are because I did the same thing! My first child will be 10 months then. I know it will be different but I still think it will be fun. I am just using all the time before to research any tricks I can find to make it easier. Also I am going on a ship with a nursery for younger than 3 to give us a few hours to ourselves.

Thank you everyone for your support and information! We have decided to go ahead and book. We love our vacations and we hope our little one will learn to love them as well!

We will adjust our expectations and definitely will not be booking our usual Cozumel bar hop!! There might be a lot of baby gear to tote about, but I'm glad to know it's possible!

Let the list making begin!!!

what cruise are you looking at? have you considered sailing out of Baltimore on either Carnival or Royal? Might make things a little easier and you'll be able to bring things in the car instead of an airplane.

We choose not to cruise out of Baltimore. I'm really never impressed with the ports, and I hate so many sea days vs. ports. I also hate that their southern cruises stop at US ports. If I wanted to see Charleston or Orlando, I'd just drive/fly there! We prefer to cruise out of Florida because of that.

We've booked the NCL Jade in November from Tampa (a FL port we've never sailed from before).

We choose not to cruise out of Baltimore. I'm really never impressed with the ports, and I hate so many sea days vs. ports. I also hate that their southern cruises stop at US ports. If I wanted to see Charleston or Orlando, I'd just drive/fly there! We prefer to cruise out of Florida because of that.

We've booked the NCL Jade in November from Tampa (a FL port we've never sailed from before).

haha gotcha! yeah we always used to fly to florida to cruise, but after having the kids i just don't feel like lugging everything through the airport and dealing with two toddlers on a plane lol. the grand turk, half moon cay, freeport itinerary isn't too bad. but i agree the florida one stinks. considering going to bermuda next year out of baltimore. something different :)

haha gotcha! yeah we always used to fly to florida to cruise, but after having the kids i just don't feel like lugging everything through the airport and dealing with two toddlers on a plane lol. the grand turk, half moon cay, freeport itinerary isn't too bad. but i agree the florida one stinks. considering going to bermuda next year out of baltimore. something different :)

I do keep an eye on the cruises out of Baltimore. Every now and then they'll run an 8+ day cruise that has some new fun stops. I know Carnival is trying to spice up their itineraries, but right now there isn't much in November/December. We're booked the Sunday after Thanksgiving, so we're going down to Florida a few days early to take advantage of the holiday time off! Also, because NCL is running their 3rd/4th guest free promo, it's much cheaper to cruise on their line. Saving us almost the cost of our plane ticket!

Roxxy4me - you're definately not crazy as many others have stated. We've done a cruise with our little one at 8 months, 22 months, 2.5 yrs and recently at 3.5 yrs. In many ways the first one was the easiest because she slept so often and found everything she could get her hands on entertaining (an empty cup sometimes even a napkin). Here is my review of our first cruise when she was 8 months. Different ship from what you're considering but should have some helpful info for you. At least I hope it does.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1794896

Cruise on!

I will add a few thoughts. At 1 years old, kids are entertained by anything. Heck ants are as interesting to them as anything else. Go where you want and do the things you want to do (except the bar hops!) and just bring the kiddo along. If you have a baby carrier (Ergo or some other) bring that as well as the stroller for those times when you don't want to push the stroller about the halls. Also check out your cruise as they might have strollers to rent if you don't want to bring yours.

Don't worry about food, you'll find lots of choices, or if in doubt mash up something you know they love. If their diet isn't perfect or consists of a few more bananas than normal, it won't hurt them for a week.

It's a lot of gear to take, but most ships have laundry so check as you might be able to cut down on clothes by washing part way through.

Take along some painters tape to baby proof the cabin, It doesn't leave residue so it's perfect for taping up cords, over sockets or any number of other uses in baby proofing.

If there are things your little one is accustomed to sleeping with bring those, a favorite lovey or white noise.

Last advice. Try to keep them on a schedule close to the one you are using at home, it really will help. If naps and meals come at the same time as they normally do they are going to be happier.

Good luck!

We did it last year with a 4 yo and 14 mos old. You'll have a blast and everyone loves a baby on board. My advice- pick a hotel pre cruise near a grocery and buy diapers and wipes then so you don't have to pack on plane and can buy plenty. Also those pouches of baby food are awesome for travel- go anywhere and not much mess. And cause I'm also a pediatrician- pack children's Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl, hydrocortisone cream, some band aids and you will be all set. It really isn't crazy if you plan ahead!

Glad you decided to book. We cruised with our son at 11 months and 14 months and the 11 month was our favorite. He wasn't walking independently yet, was easily entertained and the crew doted on him. We brought a compact stroller with good recline and shade for naps. He actually slept through shows at night in the stroller so we also got to do things. We brought baby food pouches/containers, favorite snacks and disposable cutlery packs so we didn't have to worry about washing them. We did need bottle brush and small dish soap container. Bring all OTC meds and more diapers than you think you will need.

I am scouring this board for tips because we are planning to do the same thing! We are experienced cruisers, and travelers in general, but I'm about to book our first cruise with our daughter who will be 15 months when we sail (she's 13 months now). I can offer a few tips about traveling with a 1 year old in general, as we just spent a week at Disney World with her. And she's been on a few domestic plane trips with just me traveling alone with her. Can't wait to have my husband along with us for an extra set of hands at the airport! Although generally when traveling with an infant alone, fellow travelers and flight attendants were wonderful and helpful. Wish the same could be said for airport staff/ticket agents, but nobody's perfect ;)

-this wasn't an issue when we drove to Disney, but we plan to purchase diapers, wipes, snacks, etc. in the port city to cut down on what we need to pack. Will also plan to use onboard laundry services (9 day cruise but we'll be staying a few days pre and post as well).

-another poster mentioned this, but I wouldn't count on using your infant seat clipped into the stroller for a 1 year old. Yes, unless you have a very large child he/she should still meet the size requirements for the seat (ours was rated for up to 32" tall and 35lbs). However at about 9 months of age our daughter started throwing a tantrum every time we'd put her in her car seat because she hated the recline position. We bought a convertible seat and she's fine in it. I can't think of anyone I know personally that was still using the infant car seat at 1 year of age because of this reason. As our convertible seat weighs over 30lbs and was fairly expensive, we'll be buying a cheap, lightweight second seat for travel. The Cosco Scenera (?) is rated well for travel and about $45 at Walmart. You can gate check (or counter check) a stroller plus a car seat for no additional charge and it doesn't count against your baggage allowance. Even if you don't purchase a seat on the plane for your child.

-don't count on your child not being very mobile at that age. Every baby is different. Yes, many aren't walking at 12 months but many are, and they will often insist on using their new skill whenever possible ;). I never thought I would do this, but we bought one of those tiny backpacks (<$15) with a tether attached and it was a lifesaver.

-you shouldn't need to bring food for a 1 year old, besides a few portable snacks maybe. As long as the food is soft or cut into appropriate sized pieces, your baby can eat most things that you do. You will still need to consider breastfeeding or formula needs though at that age.

-at Disney the stroller was a must, and we may be bringing ours most likely to use on board the ship. However as another poster mentioned, I'm concerned about the width and it fitting through the cabin door unfolded. It's a fairly compact model, but I'll definitely measure it before we decide to bring it along or not. This may be the time to buy an umbrella stroller, but one that has recline for naps at least. Will try and update later with what we decide. Also invest in a good baby carrier that can be worn in different positions (bjorn one, ergo 360, kinderpack, etc). This is what we plan to use for most excursions so we won't be dragging around the stroller.

- most importantly (and this was very difficult for me since I'm a planner), remember that ultimately you're on the baby's schedule. Have a general plan for your day, but know that things will not always go as planned :)

Hopefully I'll have some more tips to share when we return from our trip in a few months!

• 1 month later...

Definitely not crazy! We took our twins to Mexico when they were 11 months, on a cruise to Greece and turkey at 21 months (with a few city stops in Rome and Paris afterward), and now they'll be going on a cruise this Christmas to the eastern Caribbean a few days after they turn 3. Mexico was a crap shoot and I honestly hated it and couldn't wait to come home. The cruise to Greece was unreal! We got a few comments before we left about how we're crazy and why bother because they won't remember any of it and blah blah but at the end of the day we love travelling, and even if they don't remember the trip, my husband and I will! We did our cruise with Carnival and they were amazing. Being a Mediterranean cruise there wearnt a lot of little kids on board but EVERYONE was great to ours. The dining staff would have their booster seats and fruit cup appetizers ready and waiting for us at dinner, the nursery was great whenever we took the twins there and the amount of people (staff and guests!) that would walk by and call them by name and say hello made them seem like celebrities lol. We've been home for 6 months now and my son especially still talks about the big boat and eating escargot (or cargo as he calls it lol).

Do it an enjoy it! Take a blow up pool to use on the pool deck (since your LO won't be allowed in the pool if he's not potty trained), bring a few familiar snacks from home (a trick I wished I knew before Mexico), bring a familiar sleeping prop (my twins use kidco peapods when we go camping or to a friends house over nap time and it's completely closed in so they can't see out..they take up very little scpace when packed and you're kid feels like they're at home). Food wise a 1 year old can eat everything you eat. By 10 months old our twins were sharing our dinners with us (obviously just much smaller pieces for them to gum up) but you should have no problem with food onboard. Have fun and enjoy the memories!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the previous posters. Yes, it's different, but start them young. :) We cruised with our daughter at 13 months, just after 2 (the worst because she wasn't quite potty trained), a month after 3, and will cruise a month after 4. She's also been all over the United States. She actually remembers more than I would expect her to remember. On her second cruise, she was double the age of when her first cruise took place and she asked a very specific question (regarding the helipad) about the 1st cruise. If she hears anything (radio, tv, general conversation) about US cities that she has been to she always has comments about how she's been there or things she has done there.

We always talk to her about the places she is going and show her YouTube videos, etc. That way she knows what to expect.

We did a fair amount for traveling when our son was a toddler and beyond. It was always a challenge, but travel was important to us as a value. We now have a 9-year-old who loves travel as much as we do and is great on trips. I am glad we took him along when he was little. That said, it's a personal decision and some parents choose not to hassle with major travel until the kids are older. Do what you want! Don't let anyone judge you and judge no one in return!