Tallinn(Muuga)

jgsatgka

We are sailing on the Silhouette in May, 2017 and are visiting Tallinn. The itinerary indicates docking at Muuga, which appears to be 1/2 hr. from Tallinn. Does Celebrity always use Muuga or is it too early to know precisely where she will dock.

For some reason they always say Muuga, but that dock is for container ships. The cruise lines always dock in the centre of Tallinn where there is a new purpose built dock for cruise ships. You could always contact the Tallin Tourist Information who are really helpful if you want to know for sure. That is what we did when we took the Baltic cruise and were unsure.

I loved Tallinn. Before I visited there I found a good online walking tour, written up by someone just for fun. It provides a good introduction of what you will see and how easy it is to get around. Unfortunately the direct link to it is no longer working, but someone has made a copy of the pages on a website so you can still read it and see the photographs.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/15654392/tallinn-walking-tour-by-jay-********-october-2010

Fantasy, your link doesn't seem to work. Rick Steves has a good walking tour of Tallinn in his guidebook, you can just photocopy the appropriate pages. I loved Tallinn! Not quite as touristy as the other ports. Linen prices were fabulous! I had to restrain myself from buying everything in the store.

Rick Steves has a good walking tour of Tallinn in his guidebook, you can just photocopy the appropriate pages.

That is exactly what we did last year and it worked perfectly! We had a wonderful day ... it's a beautiful little city.

Edited by Lady Chew

Here are links to a couple of Tallinn walking tours:

A Walking Tour of Tallinn | Rick Steves | Smithsonian

Tallinn Walking Tour - From Jay

Also a youtube video of Tallinn posted previously from Cornishpastyman

There you can find links (on right side) to other Tallinn videos as well.

If you don't like walking up hill, I would suggest taking a ride up to top of the hill and walking down.

But don't be surprised if this thread gets moved to another forum. ;)

Edited by varoo

Fantasy, your link doesn't seem to work. Rick Steves has a good walking tour of Tallinn in his guidebook, you can just photocopy the appropriate pages. I loved Tallinn! Not quite as touristy as the other ports. Linen prices were fabulous! I had to restrain myself from buying everything in the store.

Thanks for letting me know, and for the other recommendations. I'm not sure what was wrong as I copied it direct from the page I found. I suspect the person who wrote the tour has taken down his own website, as I could not link to that, but it's strange that site worked last night and not today. Such is the internet! (I have proofread a few books with chapters by different academics and professors. Nowadays these often refer to articles on the internet. I had to keep emailing the writers back and telling them that the link no longer worked and could they find another one. The internet is not permanent.)

EDITED TO ADD: I've tried and tried and it won't let me post a valid link. It keeps replacing a key word with asterisks. If you are interested in looking at it, copy the link below but then replace the asterisks with the word b-r-e-n-t-j-e-s, missing out all the dashes.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/15654392/tallinn-walking-tour-by-jay-********-october-2010

Edited by fantasy51

Thanks for letting me know, and for the other recommendations. I'm not sure what was wrong as I copied it direct from the page I found. I suspect the person who wrote the tour has taken down his own website, as I could not link to that, but it's strange that site worked last night and not today. Such is the internet! .........)

EDITED TO ADD: I've tried and tried and it won't let me post a valid link.........

It looks like you missed the direct link that I posted previously.

It is the 2nd link (of the 3 walking tour links) in post #10.

I just tried it again, and it is still working well -- no problem.

It just takes a little patience as the first page may be slow to load.

When it finishes loading, just click the link that says Click to read.

Then the next screen gives you a control panel up at the top.

You can use it to enlarge the page to full screen, or quit full screen mode, or change pages, change the print size, adjust the print clarity, flip forward or back, etc.

At least that is how it works for me (using a laptop computer).

Hope this helps.

It may work differently on different devices.

Good luck!

Edited by varoo

We took the ho ho from outside the terminal. It runs a shuttle into town where the regular runs start. From there we took the two routes. Both are worthwhile and give a much better idea of what makes this lovely city special apart from the historical centre.

The most efficient use of time is to take route one and on the return loop hop off at top of the old town and walk down to the bottom of the city walls which is where the Ho Ho interchange is situated, taking time to see the sights of course, Then take the other route.

The marching band through the main square was a lovely touch. We caught it while having a beer in one of the restaurants on the square. There are also two or three lovely viewpoints from the top of the old town. Enjoy!

It looks like you missed the direct link that I posted previously.

I did indeed miss that. Thank you so much. I saw the tour by 'Jay' but it is the surname that stays in my mind.

Now I am bemused by the fact that you can post a direct link but I can't. I tried about 4 times, continually re-editing, and each time it substituted asterisks for the surname. I couldn't even type the surname in the body of the text as it became asterisks. Very strange. Even stranger is that it did not happen for you. In the past I have always gone direct to their own website. I can no longer find that. The poster must have taken it down. That's a real pity as he had some good information. I went around Amsterdam some years ago using his ideas.