Renting a car in Ft Lauderdale after cruise

Gracie115

Thinking about renting a car to get home after our TA on Equinox this fall and wondering how difficult it would be to get to an Avis rental car agency in Fort Lauderdale to do this. Thanks for any help you can provide.

We have done two TAs that required us renting a car to drive from FLL and Miami to St. Simons Island, GA on returning from a cruise or flight.

It was a one way rental and far cheaper than paying for two one way airplane tickets.

Only thing, driving 420 miles on the day after a transatlantic flight was not a great ides. I did get tired the last 70 miles or so.

I think we used Hertz on one occasion and Budget on another.

Thinking about renting a car to get home after our TA on Equinox this fall and wondering how difficult it would be to get to an Avis rental car agency in Fort Lauderdale to do this. Thanks for any help you can provide.

There is an Avis shuttle that runs to an offsite rental location on 17th St. We've used it a couple times and found it very convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is an Avis shuttle that runs to an offsite rental location on 17th St. We've used it a couple times and found it very convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So the shuttle is there at the port then when we disembark? We are only driving a little over 100 miles so not that long but this looks to be the most economical way to get home.....as long as it's not difficult to get to Avis

Perhaps it's my bad luck, but I've never had good luck with rental car shuttles at the cruise ports. It always seems like I am ready to go before the shuttles start operating or there is a large crowd waiting for the shuttles. At FLL I would just get a cab and go to the 17th Street location for Avis or Budget or If I needed a better selection of cars go back to the airport for any of the car companies. It's only about $15 cab fare to the airport and even less to the 17Th Street location and there is no waiting.

Good Luck

Edited by bigbeergut

I've done this in Ft. Lauderdale and it's easy. One-way rentals in Florida are very reasonable, unlike in other states where they charge something equivalent to buying the car. :eek: There is a rental car shuttle bus--you just have to make sure you're in the right place for it. There are signs.

Perhaps it's my bad luck, but I've never had good luck with rental car shuttles at the cruise ports. It always seems like I am ready to go before the shuttles start operating or there is a large crowd waiting for the shuttles. At FLL I would just get a cab and go to the 17th Street location for Avis or Budget or If I needed a better selection of cars go back to the airport for any of the car companies. It's only about $15 cab fare to the airport and even less to the 17Th Street location and there is no waiting.

Good Luck

Unfortunately the 17th Street location has no cars available so we have to go back to the airport. Does anyone know if the cars are at the airport or will we have to shuttle to someplace offsite?

I have a car reserved from the airport for a one way to Melbourne trip after our cruise (HI Gracie!!)

I had to check several different agencies but finally found a Standard SUV for $67.80 all in from FLL to the Melbourne airport where mom lives. The SUV was cheaper than their economy car - probably needed to just move some inventory around I guess but I am not complaining!

If you don't find anything, we may be able to share - I just need to check with mom. We are renting the car, then she is dropping me off at the Tri-Rail so I can get to MIA to catch my flight home. Then mom is driving home to Melbourne.

Update: This is with Enterprise car rental from the fort lauderdale airport - I also tried to find something not at the airport but couldn't

Edited by Lisah101

I have a car reserved from the airport for a one way to Melbourne trip after our cruise (HI Gracie!!)

I had to check several different agencies but finally found a Standard SUV for $67.80 all in from FLL to the Melbourne airport where mom lives. The SUV was cheaper than their economy car - probably needed to just move some inventory around I guess but I am not complaining!

If you don't find anything, we may be able to share - I just need to check with mom. We are renting the car, then she is dropping me off at the Tri-Rail so I can get to MIA to catch my flight home. Then mom is driving home to Melbourne.

Update: This is with Enterprise car rental from the fort lauderdale airport - I also tried to find something not at the airport but couldn't

Thanks Lisa, I do have one reserved now from Avis for about the same money. Thanks for offering to share, we may stop and visit friends in Boca on the way north so that probably wouldn't work. But I appreciate the offer.

Can't wait for this trip.

If you take a cab from the cruise terminal to the airport, have the taxi driver drop you off in the car rental terminal. Follow the airport signs to "rental car returns", it takes the cab into the garage and he/ she can stop next to whichever company you rent from. Works really well if you are Hertz Gold, or National Express, or Avis whatever.

Edited by eddiethekub

If you take a cab from the cruise terminal to the airport, have the taxi driver drop you off in the car rental terminal. Follow the airport signs to "rental car returns", it takes the cab into the garage and he/ she can stop next to whichever company you rent from. Works really well if you are Hertz Gold, or National Express, or Avis whatever.

Thanks! That's exactly what the Avis agent I spoke to at FLL said yesterday!:)

We have often turned our Avis rental in at the hotel near the port and taken the shuttle to the ship. Every time we dropped a car off there is a line of customers waiting for "their" car. The three or four person crew is cleaning and turning cars as quickly as possible. The airport location is what you would expect at a large airport on Saturday or Sunday morning. Lots of vehicles available and few (if any) lines.

Unfortunately the 17th Street location has no cars available so we have to go back to the airport. Does anyone know if the cars are at the airport or will we have to shuttle to someplace offsite?

Avis, Hertz and a couple of other car rental agencies have there cars located in the parking garage at the airport. You should get out at the terminal for Southwest airlines. You will need to go into the terminal and take the walkway over to the parking garage.

We have done this a few times and it's very easy.

I've never used the back-door approach of driving into the parking garage to get dropped-off. I'm not aware of any drop-off area and there probably are not any signs directing you to the service counters or car pick-up areas. This might be good for a veteran of the area but for a first time person, I would probably suggest coming in the front door from the terminal.

Good Luck

Edited by bigbeergut

We've used Budget a number of times for pick-up at FLL and return to the port and pick-up at the port and return to the airport. I realize that what you are asking is completely different because the airport is not involved. However, there are a few things I've learned:

While Budget offers a shuttle, if there are a lot of ships in port, you can wait a long time for that van to get to you. One time, when a lot of us were waiting for a very long time, I went over to a security guard and explained the situation to him. He radioed to the gate and told them to have the next Budget shuttle come all the way back to our terminal. Before long, we were all on our way to the Budget office.

The selection of cars is probably better at the airport. We've always gotten great cars at the airport but it seems like the cars we pick up at the port are a little less to our liking.

If you have an account with the car rental agency, getting dropped at the rental return area is a great idea. If not, you'll be directed to go into the airport. It's not a big deal, but just be aware.

If you have an account with the car rental agency, getting dropped at the rental return area is a great idea. If not, you'll be directed to go into the airport. It's not a big deal, but just be aware.

Not sure what you mean by this. We do have a reservation with Avis and when I called they stated we should go to the "rental return" area of the airport, nothing about going inside the airport itself. Would you clarify what you meant?

Not sure what you mean by this. We do have a reservation with Avis and when I called they stated we should go to the "rental return" area of the airport, nothing about going inside the airport itself. Would you clarify what you meant?

First, I have to apologize because I was typing off the top of my head and I misspoke when I said Budget, I'd used Thrifty. Anyway, the first time we had one reserved, we used a cab and were dropped at the car rental return. We went to the Thrifty window and were told that unless we were "Blue Chip" members (which anyone can be just by registering), we had to go into the airport to get our car. If we had been "Blue Chip" we could have just selected our car right there. As we've done it again, I've learned it's similar for most rental agencies. If you're one of their preferred customers (which you become just by registering even on your first reservation), you can use the outside kiosks. Otherwise, you must go inside. It's really not that big of a deal because there is an entrance right there. Certainly, follow the guidance given to you by Avis. Sorry for any confusion.

So the shuttle is there at the port then when we disembark? We are only driving a little over 100 miles so not that long but this looks to be the most economical way to get home.....as long as it's not difficult to get to Avis

Yes, they have a shuttle at the port, or at least they did last year when we got back from our Panama Canal cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks all for your replies!! We actually changed to Enterprise this evening when we realized how much better their rates are and we actually are in their "preferred club" so it should be very easy. Thanks for all the reassurance of how simple this is....will save us lots of $$$.....we can put those to a future cruise!!! :D