Royal Princess to move to California?

cruzrbachoua

We can sympathize with you on that one Bob. We have delayed cruising for the past 6 months due to Spook's age (Yellow Lab). We did not want to leave him. We did lose him last month at the age of 13 1/2. Still trying to put the pieces back together...

Sorry for your loss. Misha turned 13 back December and Holli watches him like a hawk. I'm hoping he'll still be around when that 2019 sailing comes around so that we have to consider our options.....

Bob

I agree completely with the wasted stopover in FLL with the current 7 day B2B "14 day" Itinerary. I loved that 14 day circle the Caribbean. We did a B2B2B on the Ruby a couple of years ago - 2 easterns and a western - but that wasted 2 days in FLL really turned me off. Won't be doing that again.

It's the biggest waste of time for me and the worst part is that you have to pay for the privilege.:mad: There's nothing for me in Ft Lauderdale that I haven't seen before & that's where we usually do out turn-a -round.

cruzrbachoua...I found this PDF online for the 2018/2019 AUS/NZ cruises that are scheduled to be released today at 4:00 PM DST unless something has changed since Princess gave that release time.

https://book.princess.com/xls/onesource/pc/PC_2018_2019_AustraliaSailingScheduleWithFaresAmenities.xls?cid=brand_email_info_internal_programrelease_destnews_se7sp007_170415_australia,newzealand,southpacific

I'm checking the website every half hour or so in case that very thing happens.....:):):)

Bob

cruzrbachoua...I found this PDF online for the 2018/2019 AUS/NZ cruises that are scheduled to be released today at 4:00 PM DST unless something has changed since Princess gave that release time.

https://book.princess.com/xls/onesource/pc/PC_2018_2019_AustraliaSailingScheduleWithFaresAmenities.xls?cid=brand_email_info_internal_programrelease_destnews_se7sp007_170415_australia,newzealand,southpacific

Sweet thanks...that is the excel file I am used to seeing before a release. Now if only there were that other one that is supposed to be released for the rest of the fleet...CC says 4/27 others have stated that their TAs state 5/18....if you happen upon that one I would be ever so grateful!

So does anybody have a link to share with some of the 2018-19 itineraries? We are allowed to shared this type of info on Cruise Critic, we just can't talk about specific travel agencies and their web sites.

Unfortunately both of my sources are a competing website and a TA website. Can't link to either one...sorry...

It may have to do with how many in-transit passengers there are. In San Pedro, I've had to get off the ship when doing back to backs (lots of people/short cruises). In Alaska (Whittier), we were waiting in the Crown Grill before given the all clear. Walked in a circle...scanned out/scanned in.

Every port has different rules depending on the CBP rules for that day and that port. Typically though, if you stay onboard they will give you instructions on where and when to meet with your new card the night before. You will get dinged off and dinged back in sometimes in the port, sometimes on the ship.

If you get off the ship you will tag out with your old card, go off and do things, then come back on with the herd, or after the rush, and simply tag back in with your new card and your 'In Transit" piece of paper.

With UBER there are a lot of alternative low cost options in FLL now. There are also a couple of pretty good restaurants, including a GREAT Thai place, within walking distance. Your cruise card, passport and In Transit card will get you through the port gates on foot or in a car.

Every port has different rules depending on the CBP rules for that day and that port. Typically though, if you stay onboard they will give you instructions on where and when to meet with your new card the night before. You will get dinged off and dinged back in sometimes in the port, sometimes on the ship.

If you get off the ship you will tag out with your old card, go off and do things, then come back on with the herd, or after the rush, and simply tag back in with your new card and your 'In Transit" piece of paper.

With UBER there are a lot of alternative low cost options in FLL now. There are also a couple of pretty good restaurants, including a GREAT Thai place, within walking distance. Your cruise card, passport and In Transit card will get you through the port gates on foot or in a car.

The funny thing is that the 2 stories I had were for the same port same cruise line. We don't plan on doing anything but enjoying the empty ship.....it will be a rare moment to see it so peaceful and empty. Also we will be on a medallion sailing so will see if we get 2 medallions or just the one. If we have to get off we plan to do as they ask, and once all is clear we plan on boarding right away and not waiting for the masses. Will just bring a book or something to kill the possible 30 or so minutes we will have to spend in the terminal, but we will be with friends so we probably will walk off with nothing but necessary ids and such and then chit chat til they say ok you can go back now. :cool:

Itineraries are up and available for booking. Site is very slow however, fyi.....:):):)

Bob

Thanks for the information...the September 2018 & April 2019 transpacific cruises are listed under South Pacific.

And as I figured there's nothing for the Royal's rumored deployment to the West Coast...although unlike me, that wouldn't be good news for you. ;)

The AUS/NZ 2108/2019 itineraries on the Majestic are now available but are not for me.

Edited by Astro Flyer

UPDATE: Snagged me a cabin on the Golden (Sydney to Los Angeles). Now all I have to do is convince my DW to sail.....:):):)
We booked the other way from LA to Sydney in September of 2018. Booked a Window Suite and the price was almost $1000 less than a Club Class minisuite. Hope things work out and we can make the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We booked the other way from LA to Sydney in September of 2018. Booked a Window Suite and the price was almost $1000 less than a Club Class minisuite. Hope things work out and we can make the cruise.

Hope you are able to cruise as well. Right now I have two other Fall 2018 options that I will cancel if we are able to make our Spring 2019 sailing. We also have that April 2018 12 R/T Alaska we may have to cancel due to Holli's some time this summer shoulder surgery. This 2019 cruise will be my last "Big Spender" cruise as I will have recently retired and will no longer have overtime to help defray the cost......:):):)

Bob

Wish they'd broken up those transpacifics a bit more. Disembarking/embarking in Honolulu would have been great to cut down on time and not violate the PVSA if you stayed on to Vancouver or did Honolulu to Sydney. They're just not meant for people working

The itineraries between Auckland & the West Coast would miss the great NZ ports & may not be best for North Americans. Although it'll probably be great for Kiwis to sail one-way through the South Pacific, French Polynesia & Hawaii en route to the West Coast and only have to fly home.

We did Sydney to LA in 2007 and 2010 it was a great cuise. And would love to do it again. We had five ports in the South Pacific on both of those cruises. In 2019 I can't believe they have taken out Bora Bora that was the best part of the cruise. So both the South Pacific and NZ have less ports of call on the Golden in 2019. Why would they drop so many ports anyone know?

We did Sydney to LA in 2007 and 2010 it was a great cuise. And would love to do it again. We had five ports in the South Pacific on both of those cruises. In 2019 I can't believe they have taken out Bora Bora that was the best part of the cruise. So both the South Pacific and NZ have less ports of call on the Golden in 2019. Why would they drop so many ports anyone know?

I noticed that too. Better itinerary on Celebrity which is broken up in Honolulu. Disappointing.

I've always eyed this itinerary but was never able to book it because I didn't want to be away from work for a month. I've never been to any of the Polynesian ports, so getting rid of Bora Bora for me wouldn't be a deal breaker.....:)

I noticed that too. Better itinerary on Celebrity which is broken up in Honolulu. Disappointing.

I had that itinerary, on X booked, for a very brief period of time. Kinda glad I canceled it though as X's suite prices IMHO are quite a bit more than on Princess.

Bob

I had that itinerary, on X booked, for a very brief period of time. Kinda glad I canceled it though as X's suite prices IMHO are quite a bit more than on Princess.

Bob

Yes, but you need to compare what you get. I agree suite prices are high but the perks are amazing. Balcony prices are very comparable.

Sorry what is a window suite? And how do you know which cabins those are as i don't recall seeing that on the deck plans?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Yes, but you need to compare what you get. I agree suite prices are high but the perks are amazing. Balcony prices are very comparable.

You are 100% correct as I agree that X's suite perks are better than what Princess has to offer. I still have a 14 Day T/A booked on the Reflection for next Fall in a Royal Suite. The cost for the X cruise is very close in price to what I would pay for the Golden cruise that is basically twice as long in a Vista suite.....:):):)

Bob

Sorry what is a window suite? And how do you know which cabins those are as i don't recall seeing that on the deck plans?

Several years ago during an overhaul the Golden added several window suites on Fiesta (6) deck. They're a suite (S7) without a balcony & you get all of the suite benefits.

I don't know if other ships added any of them or not.

I've always eyed this itinerary but was never able to book it because I didn't want to be away from work for a month. I've never been to any of the Polynesian ports, so getting rid of Bora Bora for me wouldn't be a deal breaker.....:)

Bob

Different strokes, Bora Bora would be my reason to book that cruise. I'd only have to go back if it weren't on the cruise as it's bucket list. I wouldnt do that area without it.

As for X, yeah you'd get more days on Princess. But as we said, those perks, premium drink package, lumiere, Michaels club. Pretty sweet perks.

Several years ago during an overhaul the Golden added several window suites on Fiesta (6) deck. They're a suite (S7) without a balcony & you get all of the suite benefits.

I don't know if other ships added any of them or not.

Window suites are only on the Caribbean, Golden and Grand. There are only seven on each ship on Fiesta deck. They are twice the size of an oceanview cabin with two windows. F301 is significantly smaller and F315 is an accessible cabin. F303 through F311 are identical cabins.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Different strokes, Bora Bora would be my reason to book that cruise. I'd only have to go back if it weren't on the cruise as it's bucket list. I wouldnt do that area without it.

As for X, yeah you'd get more days on Princess. But as we said, those perks, premium drink package, lumiere, Michaels club. Pretty sweet perks.

Very sweet perks indeed. In fact, If we do not sail on the Golden I most likely will keep the Reflection T/A.....:):):)

Bob