Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Just slightly off topic...

If you haven't seen Nina Garcia's Emmy dress, check it out.

http://www.eonline.com/news/795746/emmys-2016-trend-alert-the-new-way-to-wear-florals-according-to-celebs

Not crazy about it. Maybe without that trim on the front that makes it look like suspenders or something. Print was so busy, although I thought it was pretty, it didn't need the trim. The style of the dress was old lady like. Someone didn't edit.:D

Edited by iheartbda

http://www.eonline.com/news/795746/emmys-2016-trend-alert-the-new-way-to-wear-florals-according-to-celebs

Nina looks absurd in that dress. She who would always put down a designer for something that looked too "junior" should take a gander into the mirror.

They could have shortened the season by eliminating two tonight. IMO, the loser had to rank up there as being one of the 10 worst looks ever.

Cornelius needs to quit rolling his eyes and running around talking about everyone else.

Edited by iheartbda

I agree with the loser. I didn't think the outfit that was second to the bottom was all that awful although it definitely was not for "all women". When it comes to it, however, I think that is a fairly unreasonable demand. The winning look would not look good on a range of sizes/ages.

I was amazed by the number of designs with midriffs showing. Even Heidi (with her model's body) remarked that most women can't/won't show their midriff.

I, too, would have been happy to see two losers tonight. And two winners, as well. All the judges -- well, except Heidi -- were so enthusiastic about the scuba dress with the orange sleeves -- why not let two designers win, since both that dress and the jumpsuit were so popular? (By "win" I mean have Just Fab produce the item.) But I guess two winners is not the "done thing." At least it hasn't been done very often.

And why was the Just Fab exec not one of the judges, I wonder? Seemed strange.

I thought the jump suit was cool, but the drop crotch, suede fanny strip, large underslung pockets and general shapelessness would not really flatter ANY figure, IMO. It didn't flatter the model's, that's for sure. She looked like Rosie the Riveter. I guess if there are a lot of farm workers or plumbers on Just Fab, they'll have the opportunity to be very stylish. :)

Did anyone pay attention in a previous episode to what country Laurence was said to be originally from? Love listening to both her French and her English!

It looks like a (slightly elevated) version of a bridesmaid dress my sister had to wear in the early 1970s!!

Just back from a fab cruise and now caught up.

Episode 1: I knew that guy was a goner. In his "Road to..." bit, everything on his rack looked like it was straight out of Ann Taylor (actually, my impression of Ann Taylor; I am NOT that "girl"). Too generic by far.

Episode 2: Poor Brik. Bless his heart (as we say in the South), but I'm with the judges on their decisions -- top and bottom. However, the cream colored outfit Jenni made I liked despite myself. I usually abhor drop crotch pants, but those were so dropped they looked good to me.

Nina's dress: I LOVE that embroidery on the sheer. It is a fabric I would pay big bucks for, but the dress is just overwrought IMO.

There does seem to be a higher level of competence with these designers than last season, thank goodness.

Did anyone else feel like Erin was getting a little upset about the mild criticism she received?

However, the cream colored outfit Jenni made I liked despite myself. I usually abhor drop crotch pants, but those were so dropped they looked good to me.

I was prepared to dislike them from her description and drawing, however I was pleasantly surprised when I saw her finished outfit. As the model was walking the runway you couldn't really tell they were drop crotch most of the time but were very flattering to the model (which a number of other garments were not). I also liked the jacket and the color.

A question just popped into my head. We see a number of designers using neoprene. Has anyone ever seen anything (other than for the water) made of neoprene in the stores? Or anyone wearing it? Is it fashionable now and I didn't get the memo?:D

A question just popped into my head. We see a number of designers using neoprene. Has anyone ever seen anything (other than for the water) made of neoprene in the stores? Or anyone wearing it? Is it fashionable now and I didn't get the memo?:D

I was wondering the same thing. I do remember having a dress back in high school that was some sort of thick knit with a backing that made it rather stiff, but it sure wasn't neoprene. I can't imagine wearing that if I'm not diving! But I did love that thick knit. It always looked very crisp and wasn't clingy.

If it is, don't worry about not getting the memo.:D I just don't see neoprene being fashionable in anything, only something for diving. The only way that dress draped was because of the sheer volume of it and lots of volume doesn't work for many. Also, neoprene has to be hot.

Oh wait, I DO have something in neoprene....a sometimes sleeve for my knee.:D

Can I just put it our there that I'm NOT a fan of jumpsuits and can't understand why everyone seems so enthralled with them?

Sure, they can look great and can be pretty comfy, assuming one is a twig and the fit is perfect (like that ever happens in real life), and assuming one never sits down (ouchy if they aren't quite roomy enough) or never takes a bathroom break. C'mon, if I've been drinking at all, I'm happy if I can keep my dress out of the toilet or my pants off the damp, potentially yucky floor :rolleyes:

I didn't care for them back in the day (when was it, the '70's, '80's?) when they were "in" and I'm not a fan now.

Can't say I loved any of the looks but I am OK with who they chose as the winner.

There were lots of looks that I thought were bad enough to be at the bottom. Some of them were just blah, a couple were ill fitting, and some didn't really do anything under the black light.

I was underwhelmed by the entire show.

The bones in Rik's ears look painful!:eek::eek::eek:

I agreed with the winner. I thought it actually hit the mark pretty well as far as transitioning under the black light AND it was well designed, ambitious and well made.

I thought the "hooker" outfit should have gone. Taste level in the toilet and it really didn't "do" anything from day light to black light. Neon to...nope, still neon - big deal. Although the other 2...meh as well.

I agreed with the winner. I thought it actually hit the mark pretty well as far as transitioning under the black light AND it was well designed, ambitious and well made.

I thought the "hooker" outfit should have gone. Taste level in the toilet and it really didn't "do" anything from day light to black light. Neon to...nope, still neon - big deal. Although the other 2...meh as well.

I loved the winning dress. I thought they sent home the right person-it was scary that she loved her dress. it was boring and pedestrian, certainly not runway ready. At least a few of the bottoms actually admitted their style wasn't good.:)

How could Roberi's dress not be in the top! It was beautiful in daylight and stunning in blacklight. All that movement. And he didn't have to mess with any arts and crafts. Do you think he realized those filaments in the raw edges would glow like they did when at Mood?

But, I have no problem with the winner, either. She had a vision and made it work just like she wanted. That's exceptional.

I wasn't a fan of the clear coat, though I can see why the judges were.

Would not be surprised to see that emoji look knocked off immediately -- for black light and reworked for daylight.

Roberi should have been in the top.

How could Roberi's dress not be in the top! It was beautiful in daylight and stunning in blacklight. All that movement. And he didn't have to mess with any arts and crafts. Do you think he realized those filaments in the raw edges would glow like they did when at Mood?

I agree 100%. I love Jenni, but that was not a top 3 outfit. Her drop crotch outfit from last week was amazing, and I am looking forward to seeing what else she can do.

Lisa

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But, I have no problem with the winner, either. She had a vision and made it work just like she wanted. That's exceptional.

I wasn't a fan of the clear coat, though I can see why the judges were.

Would not be surprised to see that emoji look knocked off immediately -- for black light and reworked for daylight.

Roberi's dress was my number 2. It was beautiful. I think he lucked out with how gorgeous it was in the blacklight.:)

Been a little busy recently so I am just catching up.

As for neoprene clothing -- I inadvertently ordered neoprene bras online once! They were the colors I wanted, looked cute and were a great price; the fabric content said "polyester and spandex" so I had no clue that it was actually scuba material. Boy were those bras hot! (temperature-hot, NOT sexy-hot!) and they were also extremely itchy. They went back pronto!

Neoprene is undoubtedly a great choice for PR designers because you just cut it and sew it. It does not require seam binding, facing, hemming, really any kind of tailoring -- because it does not fray, and it keeps its shape. I cannot imagine actually wearing it, but since when has Project Runway been about wearability? "Wearable" is usually like a curse word on the show! :rolleyes:

Boy, that blacklight challenge brought me straight back to high school, when our mixed chorus performed a family-friendly version of the musical "Hair," including blacklight.

I was hoping for much more than anybody produced for that challenge. Roberi's dress, I agree, was actually the most interesting and beautiful with the blacklight effect, but it was not something particularly unique, design-wise. However, the same could be said for the emoji dress, IMO, which was a very basic design, and even got a negative comment regarding the unfortunately-placed pleat in the middle of the skirt. The dress certainly transformed in the blacklight, but really...emoji's??? :confused::eek::mad:

How banal! :rolleyes:;):cool:

The winner was my favorite suit. Most of them had no clue how to sew stretchy bathing suit fabric. There were some very amateur looking outfits.

Any of the bottom three could have gone home but I was surprised by the first of the bottom three declared safe.

A denim beach cover up??? Really? Glad that idea was scrapped.

There were a number of suits with lots of wrap-around straps. You would need somebody to dress you in some of them.:eek:

Heidi's boots were a gorgeous color (I like green even if I don't wear it often) but the oversized, slouchy calf looked strange. When she was standing on the runway the boots looked out of proportion to her dress.

Team challenge next week. Sounds like they are going to tie it in to the new designer show (ala Shark Tank).

Any of the bottom three could have gone home but I was surprised by the first of the bottom three declared safe.

I agree with the winner (I think - I'm confused which one it was, now), disagree with the one sent home. I thought it should have been the one of the bottom 3 who was safe. That was a lose, lose, lose, in my opinion! (Though I didn't think the print was all that bad, but it definitely lost something by being cut into such small pieces.

~SMH~