Communicating with Family on Constellation?

Wonders10

Hi everyone,

My family and I (including our baby) will be traveling in a couple months on the Constellation. I've never had to think about getting in touch with someone on the ship since we were always together, but with the baby, I'm looking for a way to reach them and vice versa. So what can I do? Anything? Two-way radios? Cell phone with the special "at sea" package?

Also, would a baby monitor work in side by side cabins? So I could hear baby if I was in the cabin next door, not out and about on the ship. Not that stupid lol.

Thank you!

Two way radios will likely not work well and if the frequencies interfere with the ship personnel be shut down.

A baby monitor will work with side by side cabins - especially connecting cabins.

We simply use sticky post-it note on the door to say we were going someplace. Actually not hard to plan you day using the daily planner and with meals things are pretty well already planned except sea days. On port days you will be off the ship anyway. you certainly could get a cell plan for both of you but think that the need for that would be limited. Connie has only a few decks - mainly 4,5 and 10 with main public areas where one would hang out plus the lounge area forward on 12 so no hard to track someone down.

• 3 weeks later...

Use the cabin phone. And ask relatives to use the ship phone when the are around the ship and need to contact you. Prearranged time and places work well too. But if communication is required, I suggest using the ship's cabin or house (meaning ship) phones (usually on the wall in places like buffet, etc.) to call your cabin or theirs.

Just an additional idea. :rolleyes:

Edited by 1cruiselvr

we had 3 couples (cabins in same area) and we each had magnets with clips that we placed on the doors, tablet and pen attached. Worked really well to know when folks were out of their cabins and what venue they were headed to.

It's been talked about on here before, X always takes away any type of transmitter when boarding (ie FMS radio's, ham radio, etc).

We have used walkie talkies on the Constellation 2 times so far. They worked very well. Had no problem with X on my cruise last April.

The walkie Talkie idea may work, but they are noisy and you will be the most disliked person onboard every time they SQUAWK.....

Yes, definitely a bad idea to use walkie-talkies. I've witnessed a few people using them or trying to use them..."I can't hear you. How about now? What? Where are you?" as if nobody was around them.

In every case, passengers within earshot became annoyed and either moved away from the area or became confrontational. Seriously confrontational. :(

Apparently there are certain walkie-talkies that work well on ships. Higher power or some such. Do a search for walkie-talkies and you should find the brand recommended. In my personal experience on S-class ships, regular ones ended up being worthless as location coordination tools; M-class may be different. Note, too, that the balcony glass divider can be removed between adjoining cabins and you can prop open the sliding glass door to have an audible if on the balcony. Enjoy your cruise with your family and your baby!

Edited by JenZ

Apparently there are certain walkie-talkies that work well on ships. Higher power or some such. Do a search for walkie-talkies and you should find the brand recommended. In my personal experience on S-class ships, regular ones ended up being worthless as location coordination tools; M-class may be different. Note, too, that the balcony glass divider can be removed between adjoining cabins and you can prop open the sliding glass door to have an audible if on the balcony. Enjoy your cruise with your family and your baby!

Just be aware that if you are using walkie talkies which operate on a specific frequency that is allowed for walkie talkies in the US, they may not be allowed in the foreign country that you are visiting and you will be subject to whatever laws and penalties they have to enforce this.

Steve

Pack it in your checked/shoreside bags they won't take it. I've brought both a baby monitor and walkie talkies on a couple of X cruises and they worked fine. GMRS channels above 11 are fine and clear.

Another alternative is the Kids club and guest services loan out small ship radios that are receive only with a nominal deposit. You could get 2 of them then use any ship phone to call the 4 digit extension that is assigned to each phone. They are rechargeable and barely last a full day so need to be charged each night because they are so small. They have a lanyard to wear around your neck or just put in your pocket. They work just about anywhere on the ship and staff can call it to if they need to reach you if you're kids are being babysat or in kids club.

Pack it in your checked/shoreside bags they won't take it. I've brought both a baby monitor and walkie talkies on a couple of X cruises and they worked fine. GMRS channels above 11 are fine and clear.

Another alternative is the Kids club and guest services loan out small ship radios that are receive only with a nominal deposit. You could get 2 of them then use any ship phone to call the 4 digit extension that is assigned to each phone. They are rechargeable and barely last a full day so need to be charged each night because they are so small. They have a lanyard to wear around your neck or just put in your pocket. They work just about anywhere on the ship and staff can call it to if they need to reach you if you're kids are being babysat or in kids club.

Thank you, I did not know about these radios. If my walkie talkies don't work on the Silhouette, I will have to try this. I want to keep track of my children. but give them some degree of freedom.