Galápagos Trip Sickness Prevention Tips

Mylisa

Going on the Silver Galápagos in 4 weeks (so excited, I'm already packing) and I wanted to know if anyone has any advice about sickness precautions.

Is it ok to drink the water at the Marriott in Quito? Ice? What about in the city during our tour? Any problems at all?

What about the water on the ship?

Any other comments, suggestions, tips are appreciated.

Going on the Silver Galápagos in 4 weeks (so excited, I'm already packing) and I wanted to know if anyone has any advice about sickness precautions.

Is it ok to drink the water at the Marriott in Quito? Ice? What about in the city during our tour? Any problems at all?

What about the water on the ship?

Any other comments, suggestions, tips are appreciated.

While I haven't been on this particular cruise, I have been to Latin and South America many times.

First, you most likely will have bottled water provided in the hotel room as well as during any Silversea operated transfers/shore trips.

Second, while the conditions vary from country to country, reasonable precautions include drinking only bottled water (and brushing teeth with it as well) or sodas or beer. Personally, I opt for the latter. Since it is pasteurized (virtually everywhere), it is invariably safe. You will usually see warnings about not eating any fresh vegetables or fruit since it may have been contaminated and/or not washed properly. We have mostly disregarded that advice when eating in major hotel restaurants without problems though, as always, YMMV.

Third, ship water is usually safe since it is almost always a product of reverse osmosis of sea water. Again, mostly because of a preference for sparkling water, you can opt for that on-board. All water served is likely to come out of bottles. Mostly it is a question of using the tap water in the cabin for tooth brushing. Always have without consequences.

Lastly, a tip received long ago from a military medic is to carry chewable Pepto-Bismal whenever traveling...and certainly if beyond the US, Canada and Europe. It can be taken before exposure to food and provides a bit of a barrier to the bad stuff. Equally, it is a good first-line resort after the fact for problems at the other end. Unlike Imodium, it won't shut you down for the next week which can prove to be almost as bad a problem. Also, the P-B is good for mild nausea like too much to drink followed by heavy sea motion.

Edited by Portolan

The other item to consider is the possibility of altitude sickness. You need to discuss this with your physician depending on your health, any history with past altitude sickness -- you should decide whether to take any physician recommended medication ahead of your journey.

My DW had no issues - but I had issues in Quito.

They will give you bottled water in your room at the hotel.

We had no issues with seasickness at all on celebrity Xpedition. I thought the seas were very calm. Not saying a storm couldn't come up, but we had no issues.

It's a wonderful and exciting trip, and I'd love to do it again. We were on the Silver Galapagos this past April. We also did the Machu Picchu Grande Explorer pre-cruise.

I agree with all the suggestions in regard to water (drink bottled and also brush your teeth with it) and also ice (no ice on land, ok on the ship).

I think you have to be mindful that Quito has a very high elevation. Remember the elevation of the city of Quito is higher than the airport.

Elevation in feet:

Machu Picchu --7972

Quito airport -- 8700

City of Quito -- 9350

Cusco -- 11,152

We had a very grueling schedule pre-cruise, with lots of early morning flights, and a rapid increase in elevation. It's hard to tell what I became ill from--the inhumane schedule, exhaustion, or the rapid increase in elevation. I did have pills with me for altitude sickness, but you are supposed to take them before you ascend. We went from sea level (Lima) to Cusco, then descended into the Sacred Valley for Machu Picchu. We asked for and paid the supplement for an oxygenated room in MP and in Cusco. From MP, we went to Cusco. I was fine in MP and Cusco, until about 4am and woke up feeling ill. We met in the lobby at 5:30am for our flight and flew to Quito. The Cusco airport is a blur to me...I was better at Quito airport, but then we went into the city to stay overnight, and that entire evening I did not feel well at all. I felt better at Quito airport, and then much better once we descended in elevation.

FYI: I have never had altitude sickness. I am in very good physical and cardiovascular condition. According to my doctor, altitude sickness has nothing to do with your level physical fitness or age (it actually improves with age). I had the meds, but I didn't take them. My travel companions, on the other hand, are typically is sensitive to altitude and seasickness. They did not become ill at all. But then we realized they were chewing on coco candies the entire time in Cusco and even in Quito. It seemed to work!

I'm not sure if the Marriot offers oxygenated rooms, but if so you might want to consider paying the extra charge. Ask Silversea.

In regard to Quito, it didn't make much of a difference how I felt in Quito because our guides told us not to stray too far from the hotel in Quito, especially at night. And the dinner that evening for the group was held in the hotel.

I would also definitely bring bug repellent. It was surprising how many people had it but didn't use it (left it in the van at the turtle sanctuary for example) and got eaten alive. There was also one beach we stopped at (red sand) that was filled with mosquitos. Most of the hikes were fine.

You will need tons of sunscreen. The sun, even if it is not very hot, is brutal. You will notice many of the guides wearing long sleeved shirts and pants. And definitely stay VERY hydrated.

Happy to answer any questions. :)

Herman, what was the altitude and sea sickness medicine that you had with you.

I've only had altitude sickness once at or around 10,000 feet. I have been out to Colorado numerous times to Beaver Creek and Denver with no problem at all. But when I went to Albuquerque to ski, I went face down in the snow while getting out of the car at the top of the mountain after flying from near sea level the same day. So not sure what's gonna happen.

I'd rather try to be proactive if possible.

We are staying at the Marriott. Do you know if they replenish the water in the room?

What bug spray did you use as well.

Thanks for your help!

At the Marriott, we had to call down to get extra water. They gave us only one bottle per person per day, I think, but that has been a few years ago.

As far as altitude sickness, the medication is acetazolamide (aka Diamox). It is a diuretic, so take it in the morning. You need to start taking it a couple of days in advance. It does make sodas and beer taste weird.

I've been following this thread as we are going on this trip next week. I'm not anticipating sea sickness as I've only suffered from it on VERY rough seas. I am a bit concerned about altitude sickness but I guess I won't know until I get there as everyone appears to react differently. We arrive in Quito at midnight, have one day at the Marriott then fly to Galápagos the following day. We plan to just relax at the hotel and take it easy. If we do feel up to it we'll have a walk around the city but don't want to make ourselves ill before the main part of the holiday.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

I've been following this thread as we are going on this trip next week. I'm not anticipating sea sickness as I've only suffered from it on VERY rough seas. I am a bit concerned about altitude sickness but I guess I won't know until I get there as everyone appears to react differently. We arrive in Quito at midnight, have one day at the Marriott then fly to Galápagos the following day. We plan to just relax at the hotel and take it easy. If we do feel up to it we'll have a walk around the city but don't want to make ourselves ill before the main part of the holiday.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

If you're on SilverSeas then I think they take you on a tour of Quito the next day.

I stopped by the pharmacy yesterday and spoke to the pharmacist. She told me that the medicine adjusts the amount of hydrogen in your blood. Think deep sea diving and the bends in reverse. It's about the hydrogen/oxygen ratio in your blood.

For the medicine to be effective you have to take it a day or 2 in advance.

I think I'm gonna try it even though I've only had a problem once. Apparently no adverse effects from it.

Going to the doctor today for the prescription.

Have loads of fun and post about your trip when you get back.

I stopped by the pharmacy yesterday and spoke to the pharmacist. She told me that the medicine adjusts the amount of hydrogen in your blood. Think deep sea diving and the bends in reverse. It's about the hydrogen/oxygen ratio in your blood.

Nitrogen causes the bends. There is no free hydrogen in the atmosphere.

We stayed at the Quito Marriott 5 years ago and there was a sign in the bathroom to not drink the tap water. The hotel provided 1 bottle per person per day and we had to purchase extra. We were on Celebrity and they provided water bottles on the bus when we were touring and we took extra ones to our room (we drink a lot of water). Someone in our group did ask for oxygen so it must be provided. We drank the coca tea but had no issues.

Bottom line.

Diamox works for most people for altitude sickness.

You must start it several days before you ascend.

It is not without side effects.

Carbonated beverages taste horrible.

You can have sensitivity to it if you have allergies to sulfa drugs.

It may cause other weird symptoms.

As with any drug it's a balancing analysis.

So consult your doctor, ARNP or PA.

I got my prescription filled today and am going to try it to be on the safe side but I can always discontinue it if I experience adverse side effects. Besides I'll only be on it a few days.

Doctor and pharmacist both said that the side effects, if any are far better than getting altitude sickness. They also checked it against my other meds and said there should be no conflict. We'll see. Hoping for the best.

Edited by Mylisa

Agree with your doc and pharmacist.

Glad you explored the risk benefit analysis.

I do get altitude sickness.

Diamox works for me. The alternative is just debilitating.

You will just have to wait for that Dom or agua con gaz until you are off of it.

You may have a little zizz feeling in your head while on it.

Also avoid alcohol and remember to hydrate.

Have a terrific time.

We will all wait to hear from you.Bon voyage.

Agree with Spinnaker. I had never had altitude sickness before and it was just debilitating. I felt like I was drugged and could barely move. I could barely hold my head up that evening in Quito.

By the way, how long are you in Quito for? I did not get sick until day 4 in the wee hours in Cusco.

We arrive at 11:00 at night then straight to the hotel and bed. We tour Quito the next day, sleep there and leave early the next day.

I presume that those ar alcoholic beverages, Spinnaker as I don't recognize the names.

Oh and what does zzzzz feel like. I hope not too bad?

I was on a small ship for 7 nights and we had very rough seas going around Isabella and then from Floreana to Santa Cruz.

I wore sea bands, took meclizine, ginger root and ginger candy, although I did not throw up I was in my cabin for over 5 hours hanging in there while the boat rocked side to side and up and down.

Diamox or not -- I still had altitude sickness in Quito. Started 2 days prior and landed, went thru customs and passport (30 minutes) and felt the initial effects by time I got to the taxi.

For sea sickness you can try "Transderm Scop" (scopolamine). Works great. Never been sea sick with the patch and we have done 6 Drake crossings -- one where we (both) were one of two couples having dinner in the MDR of the ship everyone else was sick and so was over 1/2 the crew. Just remember to use it before you think you will need it. It lasts for 3 days so we usually put in on 24 hours before we get underway in an area where we may have high seas.

For sea sickness you can try "Transderm Scop" (scopolamine). Works great. Never been sea sick with the patch and we have done 6 Drake crossings -- one where we (both) were one of two couples having dinner in the MDR of the ship everyone else was sick and so was over 1/2 the crew. Just remember to use it before you think you will need it. It lasts for 3 days so we usually put in on 24 hours before we get underway in an area where we may have high seas.

Everyone reacts differently to the patch. I put mine on the night before our Galapagos cruise and in the morning I felt nauseous and woozy and took it off right away.

Another passenger had been using the patch and ended up with blurry vision( not great when you are snorkeling)

So I would try it before buying too many patches like I did :rolleyes:

The patch dilates my eyes but works wonderfully. I've even cut them in 1/2 and still had the dilated eyes. I've also used meclizine with good success but I haven't used it in a while. I'm gonna try the meclizine this trip but take some patches with me just in case.

I'm also gonna use the altitude sickness pill and hope for the best. I'm going to try to remind myself to move slowly and drink lots of water. We get in late and go straight to the hotel and right off to bed. Hopefully a good nights sleep will help my body adjust more easily.