Cigarette Question

LARGIN

Customs says you cannot bring more than 2 cartons of cigarettes into the U.S. without paying high duty.

Question.. Can you legally buy more than 2 cartons on the ship (I presume duty free) on an Alaska or Coastal closed loop cruise and take them off the ship at debarkation without incident?

Yes, we purchased four cartons in May of this year while on a closed loop Alaska cruise. Since there were four of us traveling together, I wasn't worried about customs, but DH was the one that paid for all four cartons.

You are only allowed one carton, per person, over 21, before you have to pay the duty.

Customs says you cannot bring more than 2 cartons of cigarettes into the U.S. without paying high duty.

Question.. Can you legally buy more than 2 cartons on the ship (I presume duty free) on an Alaska or Coastal closed loop cruise and take them off the ship at debarkation without incident?

If your closed loop cruise ends in Vancouver, you must go through Canadian customs at the cruise terminal before later going through USA customs at the airport (or border). Canadian import allowances will apply there.

If your closed loop cruise ends in Vancouver, you must go through Canadian customs at the cruise terminal before later going through USA customs at the airport (or border). Canadian import allowances will apply there.

On and off in San Francisco

The ship will sell you the cartons, even if it is more than the duty free quantity, In like manner, they will sell a jewelry onboard at $1,000, even if the duty free amount is only $800. It is just a risk if the CBP inspects and finds them in your luggage, and decides you have to pay duty for the excess allowable quantity.