What to put in your carry on?

Tishybabe

Single digit dance :):):D not long to go now.

First time cruise so a bit clueless.

I'm sure I read somewhere (might have been in our travel documentation) that you should take a carry on for the first day in case you don't get your luggage until late.

What would you put in it?swimsuits? What else?

Surely we will have our luggage available before the evening meal so that we can get showered and changed?

Thanks

Thanks for that. I think ill pack our swimsuits and valuables and hope for the best to get our suitcases on time otherwise I'll have to pack clothes, toiletries, shoes .... Might as well keep my suitcase.

I'm sure I read somewhere (might have been in our travel documentation) that you should take a carry on for the first day in case you don't get your luggage until late.

Surely we will have our luggage available before the evening meal so that we can get showered and changed?

Thanks

Yes, you should have your luggage before dinner. Dinner the first night is very casual anyway.

Know that you'll be walking around with 1500 of your new best friends until your cabin is ready at 1, so don't bring a huge carry-on with you (note--do as I say, not as I do :eek:). It can be a pain going to the Windjammer and walking around with a big bag; bring all the stuff Bob recommended, but keep your bag as small as you can.

Have fun!

We have one small carry on with medications, toiletries, swimsuit, cameras and other valuables. I come on the ship dressed in shorts, polo shirt, and sneakers. If my luggage arrive before dinner which on all our cruises it never has been for early dining, I would change into long pants, however I don't put long pants and shoes in my small carryon just to wear on that first night. On the cruises we have been on it just about anything goes other than swimwear and tank tops! :cool:

You could essentially get away with carrying only your purse (if you're female) as long as you didn't bring too many valuables with you. I wear my swimsuit under my sundress (which is pretty much how I stay dressed for the whole cruise) and carry medication, passports, money etc. If you have wine you may have a bag with that in it, but I don't bother to carry a whole bag and have never found myself traveling with many valuable things I couldnt do without or that wouldn't fit in my purse. My purse usually has a travel sized bag of face wash and a toothbrush in it at all times anyway, so if my bag got lost i guess Id be wearing the same thing all week but I'd be able to brush my teeth and buy stuff :)

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Valuables, I-pods, kindles, cameras, toiletries, extra undies :D, 1 extra set of clothes, medications, sound machine (for nap),hair dryer, 2 bottles of wine & stuff any left over space with $$$$ :eek:

We each have a small spinner carry-on, that store easily inside the big suitcases under the bed later on!

Edited by nomoreknothead

Meds, passport, cruise docs, quart size zip lock baggy that I put in carry-on for the plane. brush, iPad, cell phone, and a change of clothes. It all fits in the zipped personal-size carry-on for the plane.

For me, everything I'm bringing on the cruise. :)

Yep, you read that right! I have successfully packed for my 7/31 Alaska southbound cruise (it'll be 10 nights overall counting a red-eye home) in a small duffel-type carryon and my backpack.

Packing light for the win! :)

Please tell me you aren't a woman. I could use a carry on just for my shoes!! :eek:

Please tell me you aren't a woman. I could use a carry on just for my shoes!! :eek:

Definitely female. I pretty much live in running shoes or flip flops (I do have a very flat pair of sandals in the bag)...barefoot in my apartment.

And yes, I have a skirt with some tops and a couple of dressed to dress for dinner. Plus stuff for 4 races. :) I am a packing ninja!

Yep, you read that right! I have successfully packed for my 7/31 Alaska southbound cruise (it'll be 10 nights overall counting a red-eye home) in a small duffel-type carryon and my backpack.

You're my hero. I pack way too much and can never seem to cut it down.

That is amazing, considering the heaver clothing you might need. Good job.

I am somewhat of a light packer and but can't go that small for a week or more, especially since we like to dress a bit for dinner and formal night. We can do a 5 day cruise (or any trip) in a carry on and a tote each.

I would love to see your packing list to give me inspiration.

M

+1 for us. Small enough to carry everything in carry on for the plane, too.

We've done a couple of multiple week vacations doing that, and will do so in Sept when we travel to Europe for just over 2 weeks.

Two carry on sized bags + 2 small backpacks at our feet, and that's it.

If you can carry on the plane, doing it for the ship is easy.

Thanks

For a warm weather cruise, we use a beach bag as a carry on. I have a swimsuit and cover up, a limited amount make up/toiletries ( like lipstick, blush, mascara, toothbrush, hairbrush), meds, jewelry ipad mini and phone and a bottle of wine. (I pack all the chargers in the checked suitcase) I use a small shoulder type travel purse rather than the large daytime purse I normally carry around . It can also fit in the beach bag.

We have late dinner and except for a few times that my bag had been sent to security, we've generally had the bag in time for dinner. We seem to get them in the 3-5 PM range, and sometimes earlier. I board in capri's and a top that I could wear to dinner if my luggage did not arrive. We generally shower prior to dinner and that is why I have the limited toiletries with me.

ENJOY

M

That is amazing, considering the heaver clothing you might need. Good job.

I am somewhat of a light packer and but can't go that small for a week or more, especially since we like to dress a bit for dinner and formal night. We can do a 5 day cruise (or any trip) in a carry on and a tote each.

I would love to see your packing list to give me inspiration.

M

Fortunately the temperatures are looking pretty good - mid to upper 50s at night when I'll be onboard anyway, and upper 60s and even into the 70s some days. For someone like me who lives for cooler weather and needs it to be COLD (like well down in the low 40s) before I switch from a hoodie to a coat, it's ideal. I'll have the hoodie folded up on the plane in case I want it there, and have it ready if necessary when I deplane in Anchorage. :)

We've done a couple of multiple week vacations doing that, and will do so in Sept when we travel to Europe for just over 2 weeks.

Again impressed! Not to start a dress code thread, but what do you do about (cruise) formal nights. Can you travel that light and still bring a sport jacket? Ladies have the option of travel knits that take up no room and can be mixed and matched.

Thanks,

M

Yep. My main inspiration was not wanting to pay the bag fee on the airline to check it. Amazing what saving some money can to to inspire you to so small!

Though I actually began mentally planning it a couple of weeks ago when there was a possible strike planned by hired baggage handlers and some other people working with - of course - the airline I'm on. Thankfully they resolved the differences, but I figured I wanted to be prepared to do one carry-on and backpack just in case. My one qualm - hair product - was solved by some dear friends introducing me to Lush shampoo bars and conditioner bars! No mystery gel for me!!

You're my hero. I pack way too much and can never seem to cut it down.

I couldn't do it either. If I could just pack swimsuits and sun dresses I could easily pack a carry on, but my toiletries bag and the extra shoes for dinner and formal night (oh and work out shoes and water shoes and snorkel/scuba fins), well, those take up the majority of my large suitcase :( My toiletries bag has all my shampoo, conditioner, body wash, day and nighttime face creams, hair gels, mousses and oils, combs, brushes, medicines, make up and make up brushes, etc etc. It takes up half a carry on bag. I prefer to be able to walk around in flip flops and a swimsuit all week, but because of the requirements for dressing for dinner, I have to bring all this stuff to look presentable enough to be allowed to eat, haha. I tried to convince my daughter that we should eat in the buffet for dinner this time around, or minimally skip formal night, but she refused (formal night is her favorite, go figure). So I'm doing it for the children :)

Thanks

Sometimes you get your luggage before your dinner, sometimes you don't. I always put my makeup bag, so I can touch up before dinner if I don't get my luggage, a swimsuit and if you want a change of clothes. Medication is always important as well. Of course, if you need your chargers for your electronic devices I would have those. I never would suggest you to check your electronics of any kind.

Again impressed! Not to start a dress code thread, but what do you do about (cruise) formal nights. Can you travel that light and still bring a sport jacket? Ladies have the option of travel knits that take up no room and can be mixed and matched.

Thanks,

M

I have a suit- jacket, pants, and shirt (multiple ties), and my wife has a dress for each formal night. She's got some great dresses that pack up tight.

It's not easy, but easily worth it.

Even though we will be gone for more than two weeks, I'll probably pack for just one and do some cleaning. Even with that, I'm sure we won't use everything.

That's the real key- when you unpack, note what you didn't use. Combine that with things that can easily be cleaned, and/or used in multiple ways- and before you know it, all of your clothing fit into two carry ons.

(on that note, I'd really like to have a custom bag made. Very similar to the tiny garment bag we use, but turned 90 deg)

I have 2 small carry ons. The larger one goes under the seat in front of me and the smaller one goes in the overhead bin.

I have my Baggie of 3oz liquids, medications, jewellery, money, cruise docs, camera, iPad, iPhone, makeup, electric curling brush, small Bluetooth speaker, passports, chargers for the electronics, electric toothbrush etc. I also include a clean shirt and underwear in case we are delayed somewhere overnight.

I put everything else in our checked baggage and cross my fingers.

There is no question of packing any amount of clothing in the carry ons because they are full of "stuff". We always have received our luggage and been unpacked prior to lifeboat drill. I always take a trip down to the elevator lobby on our floor where they are piling the luggage and usually find one of our bags which I haul back to the room myself to get a head start.

Going on our 32nd Cruise next month. We each bring a wheeled carry on that I bring aboard. There are 2 kinds of luggage: Checked & Lost! Re: sound machine. Used to bring 1 but there is an app. on our tablet call "pink noise". We keep it running all night. Sleep like babies!