Cruising with kids...room selection

Lila1975

How old are the kids? Would one bathroom be enough, or you need two for four people? Is there much difference in space in balcony and interior?

I would probably choose two adjacent interior.

We are traveling with 4 people, two kids. I can pay for one balcony room with all 4 of us, or get two interior rooms. Which would ya'll choose?

Any chance you can swing a balcony or an ocean view for the adults and an interior for the kids? With kids that age, two rooms would better

Any chance you can swing a balcony or an ocean view for the adults and an interior for the kids? With kids that age, two rooms would better

We have done that several times and it worked well. They were also across the hall from each other and with the extra bathroom it was the best of both worlds - economic way to avoid having all in one stateroom plus the benefit of a balcony and extra bathroom.

Depending on cruise line, there are also family staterooms that typically accommodate 4 - 6 that may be a consideration as well. While some may not provide a balcony or second bathroom, they are significantly larger than a standard stateroom and typically have a bunk room or other second bed area apart from the main sleeping area.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I concur. We will have a balcony room for me and my husband and an interior promenade room directly across the hall for our two boys. With the four of us in one room, bathroom space, and space in general, is very limited. If the cost of an ocean view and an interior is not much more than one, I would do two cabins, especially with a teen. Ours will probably end up sleeping in until noon anyway.

As I read the OP, the budget allows either a balcony or 2 interiors. The OP would not have posted the question otherwise. I travel solo and have only had a balcony once. The balcony cabin was the same space as an interior with the addition of another small outside space.

With 11 and 17 yr olds, I would go with the 2 interiors, hands down. Double the space, double the pleasure, and that little balcony can't compete with that.

IF you can swing it, I would also suggest a balcony with an interior across the hall for the kids. That way everyone can enjoy the balcony together when you want. Such as pulling into or out of port etc.

However, that's not always an option and if it's not, I would do 2 rooms. None of the rooms other than suites on cruise ships are very large, especially the bathrooms and I cannot imagine sharing the rooms with 4 people. I think it would be quite cramped. Especially in the area of storage space for clothing, luggage, and toiletries.

As I read the OP, the budget allows either a balcony or 2 interiors. The OP would not have posted the question otherwise. I travel solo and have only had a balcony once. The balcony cabin was the same space as an interior with the addition of another small outside space.

With 11 and 17 yr olds, I would go with the 2 interiors, hands down. Double the space, double the pleasure, and that little balcony can't compete with that.

That may have been the case in your one time experience but that may also be cruise line specific, and not necessarily accurate as a general statement. We have cruised frequently in balcony staterooms with inside staterooms for our children and would question that. Using RCI and Indpendence of the Seas as an example, their interior staterooms are 150 sq. ft. while their balcony staterooms are 184 - 199 sq. ft., which does not include a 65 sq.ft. balcony as a separate space. This is a fairly significant difference in size between the two categories with a rather generous outside space in addition.

I mention this to provide the OP with another factor to consider. Clearly the two interior staterooms provide a larger combined space and an additional bathroom but individually the interior staterooms may in fact - depending again on cruise line - be significantly smaller each than the balcony. The other question would be how important the balcony would be to them and if it isn't a real factor, then the interior rooms may be the better choice.

As to their budget and providing different alternative solutions, that was simply to offer other considerations that may not have been thought about. Prices can vary significantly and sometimes promotions offered can skew these other alternatives favorably.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

It might help to state the ship you're considering.

If you go with two separate cabins, make doubly sure that the cruise line knows to mark your booking "no upgrade" for both cabins. If you're dealing with a TA, make sure he or she is aware that this is a must to keep tabs on (sometimes a cruise line will make an upgrade and unless the customer is heard from, it's a done deal...and there's been families in this kind of position).

As bad as I want a balcony, I think you're right. I'm not sure of the space difference. I don't think it's much.

Oh, 17 and 11

If you really want the balcony cabin, see if you can find one with the most square feet. Our family of four did that last year and it was fine (after all, we're only in the room to sleep). The balcony is nice and does make the room feel bigger.

As far as showering, maybe one or two of you could use the showers at the gym or spa? I've never done this myself but I've read many posts where families split up and it's worked out well for them. I even read that those showers are a lot bigger than the ones in the cabin.

Everyone else has been advocating the two interior rooms but we cruised in a balcony room on the Carnival Splendor in June with 4, including 2 adults, and kids ages 18 and 10. I thought the space was fine, I really didn't feel cramped at all. I used the balcony quite a bit, including early every morning, and even late at night out there reading my book, so having two separate spaces wouldn't have made up that difference. We came and went at different times so there wasn't much competing for bathroom time. YMMV of course.

Thanks for everyone's help!! Even tho I couldn't afford it, I still did both. Moved down to 2nd floor cove balcony room, and put kids in cheapest upper/lower room right across the hall. My husband wanted to stay with just one interior room for all 4 of us, so he's grouchy bout it. I think he be happy I did this in the end tho!

We just booked a cruise for next June with RCCL on Liberty...the cost of all four of us in a balcony was almost the same as the balcony for us, with an adjacent interior for the kids (17&14). It was a no brainer!!!

We all squished into a balcony last time...it was 2011 so they were smaller, but I am SO EXCITED at the idea of having our own space. Our youngest asked in disbelief..."You mean I get my own bed? In my own room? Now that's a vacation!"

Edited by widallas

Thanks for everyone's help!! Even tho I couldn't afford it, I still did both. Moved down to 2nd floor cove balcony room, and put kids in cheapest upper/lower room right across the hall. My husband wanted to stay with just one interior room for all 4 of us, so he's grouchy bout it. I think he be happy I did this in the end tho!

You did the right thing.

Your husband will enjoy your balcony as well and the privacy for the 2 of you.

You did the right thing.

Your husband will enjoy your balcony as well and the privacy for the 2 of you.

I agree! We couldn't afford to do a separate vacation this year for just hubby and I, so having our own cabin across the hall from the kids (and utilizing the kids club, which they both love) is the next best thing ;)

Edited by my3guys