Seriously curious CD question, not being sarcastic

cruzelover55

I have read on so many posts, about, this CD is wonderful, that one is awful, etc.. almost seems like some would book a cruise based on the CD. On my 12 or 13? cruises, I have never known the CD's name and don't remember really noticing, who they are, where they are, or even their job description. What am I missing by not paying attention? It's always fun to find something new to discover.

I have read on so many posts, about, this CD is wonderful, that one is awful, etc.. almost seems like some would book a cruise based on the CD. On my 12 or 13? cruises, I have never known the CD's name and don't remember really noticing, who they are, where they are, or even their job description. What am I missing by not paying attention? It's always fun to find something new to discover.

I could care less who the CD is on any ship as I make my own good times!

Edited by hapytobehr

I could care less who the CD is on any ship as I make my own good times!

So you do still care! :p:cool:

But seriously... I am with both of you on this. I have not paid much attention as to the cruise directors. The only reason I noticed who it was on the last cruise I was on (on the Miracle) was because I was watching the TV about a change in ports. Other than that, I don't recall seeing him again (or ever caring about who it was for that matter)

As a singer, I often get involved with the C.D., his entertainment staff, and the musicians aboard. For that reason, there really is quite a difference in my cruise, from one C.D. to the next. If the C.D. is a "dud", and doesn't mix well with the other folks aboard, it makes my cruise far less enjoyable, but on the other hand, if he/she enjoys his/her job, and really get involved with the folks aboard, it makes my cruise outstanding. ;)

"SKY"

I would never pick a ship based on a CD and never really paid much attention....but if you happen to be on a ship that has a really good one you really will take notice. Matt on the Breeze is a top notch CD, always out amongst the cruisers engaging with them, funny and just plain enjoyable, working at making sure his guests are having a terrific time. And the Breeze is a great ship

I remember our last one on the Magic in August 2014...his name was Calvin.

He ranged from annoying to irritating.

I would never pick a ship based on a CD and never really paid much attention....but if you happen to be on a ship that has a really good one you really will take notice. Matt on the Breeze is a top notch CD, always out amongst the cruisers engaging with them, funny and just plain enjoyable, working at making sure his guests are having a terrific time. And the Breeze is a great ship

Catching Matt in the gym on the Breeze sure added to my enjoyment....hubbahubba

There is one CD, Jen Baxter, who we would probably book a cruise SOLELY because she's the CD. We've sailed with her several times and we just absolutely love her. She is very, very British--a little loud, a little snarky, a little naughty but she (at least from our experience) genuinely cares about the passengers and will do everything in her power to make things right if something goes wrong.

We also really enjoy seeing crew members we've sailed with before. It's like running into old friends. When we cruised a couple summers ago where we had 2 cruises like a month apart, the dining staff seemed ecstatic to see us again. We walked into the dining room the first day to make sure we had the dining time we wanted and to ask the maitre' d a couple of questions. The waiter we'd had on the previous cruise (so this was on the July cruise..he'd waited on us during our June cruise) saw my son and practically ran down the aisle to give him a hug. "OH MISTAH (First name)!! SO GLAD TO SEE YA BACK 'GAIN!" It was really funny and sweet at the same time.

Of the first 11 cruises I took, I could not name a single CD we had. I do remember noting one that was a little annoying, but I don't remember his name either. BUT....cruise #12 changed everything......

Add me to the list of those that believe directors like Matt Mitcham make a huge difference to the cruise experience (never would have believed it)! Amazing director and the reason we booked #13. If I could afford to go to Europe next summer, I'd be with Matt Mitcham again. Guess I'll have to wait until the Vista goes Caribbean!! :p

So, just as I thought, I am not missing anything. From what I gather from the replies, if a CD does not do anything to catch my attention, then there is no reason to go out of my way to pay anymore attention than I ever have. If they are the people that do the talks before shows, lecture type things or whatever, I only notice if someone takes 2000 words to clue you in on something that could be said quicker. Or if they are trying to be funny and can't pull it off. But, I never give it a second thought. Don't know if it is a CD that m/c's the karaoke at Ocean Plaza, on some ships, but I have always enjoyed them. I have enjoyed every cruise I have been on, and have not had any issues, at least not serious ones that were a reason to complain about. And that's even including our 2012? I think, cruise, where my husband slipped at the water slide area. He (and the ship Dr. if you could call him a Dr.) did not realize how serious it was until he ended up having very expensive surgery and 3 months off work, because of it. We still enjoyed that cruise, just had to tone down activities as he was not feeling too agile. He didn't let me know how much pain he was in until we got home as did not want to spoil the cruise for me. Gee, I seem to be taking a lot of words myself, maybe I should apply for the job.:p Thanks for all responses. Happy cruising!

About all I can see is when they stuff up what venue they put someone n.

But perhaps they are more influence on the entertainers well being behind the scene (some entertainers can be delicate little things), Im another who doesn't get the fascination with who the cruise director is.

But I feel pretty much the same about who the Capt is (as long as he can sail the ship safely) or the Maitre'd.

So true! I saw a thread lately that someone was asking who the captain was on a particular ship. I did not read it as thought, Who cares? and why?

I've been on five cruises and I know all of my CD's names (it helps that I had the same one three times, but never mind) and all the assistant CD's. It's not because I thought they were all so great or wonderful or awful, but they do do a lot of things around the ship. I've found those ubiquitous announcements are mostly made by the CD. On my cruises at least, they've also done most of the safety drill. They also host the Welcome Aboard show as well as some other of the main theater shows. They also have general meet & greet duties around the ship during embarkation and disembarkation and other times. They also host some activities around the ship. They also do some of the planning for current and future cruises, and if there are delays or cancellations, they're responsible for keeping us entertained. I'm sure there are many other things, both big and little, that the cruise director is responsible for. Some ships have an entertainment director, which I have heard handles more of the behind-the-scenes stuff so the CD can do more of the fun stuff.

The CD's name is listed on page one of every newsletter, which makes it even easier for me to remember them. I find they're fairly easy to find if you want to, easy to remember if they're worthy, and easy to ignore if you don't care.

I've been on five cruises and I know all of my CD's names (it helps that I had the same one three times, but never mind) and all the assistant CD's. It's not because I thought they were all so great or wonderful or awful, but they do do a lot of things around the ship. I've found those ubiquitous announcements are mostly made by the CD. On my cruises at least, they've also done most of the safety drill. They also host the Welcome Aboard show as well as some other of the main theater shows. They also have general meet & greet duties around the ship during embarkation and disembarkation and other times. They also host some activities around the ship. They also do some of the planning for current and future cruises, and if there are delays or cancellations, they're responsible for keeping us entertained. I'm sure there are many other things, both big and little, that the cruise director is responsible for. Some ships have an entertainment director, which I have heard handles more of the behind-the-scenes stuff so the CD can do more of the fun stuff.

The CD's name is listed on page one of every newsletter, which makes it even easier for me to remember them. I find they're fairly easy to find if you want to, easy to remember if they're worthy, and easy to ignore if you don't care.

Great info! Thanks! Especially like the part about, ignore if you don't care! But, seriously, you have explained to me what they actually do. I will pay more attention on my next cruise to see if they are "worthy" of all the praise they sometimes get.:D

We just notice if the CD is really good (Butch) or really bad (Jen). But otherwise, most of the time, we don't notice, check, or care who the CD is.

There is one CD, Jen Baxter, who we would probably book a cruise SOLELY because she's the CD.

Uuuuugh! [emoji13] How ironic. That's the same Jen that I referenced above. I guess she does make an impression, just not the same one with everybody.

Edited by Tapi

I never paid attention to the CD until we had the best one EVER. Hello Clo from Royal Caribbean. Yes, I would book a cruise just to have Clo as the CD (itinerary dependent, of course). She was that fun.

Also, I would book a cruise knowing that John Heald would be on it.

If you've had an outstanding CD such as Matt mitcham, you would notice the difference. A CD doesn't make or break a cruise for us, but I do notice the difference between a good CD and one that is just "there".

Pat

Exactly my thought I had the Jamie Dee and she definitely added to the experience. My last cruise I am not even sure if we had one.. lol. It doesn't take away from my experience overall. Definitely wouldn't pick a ship just to follow a CD especially since their schedules can an do change.