New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Can anyone tell me if you know... If you book a shellac manicure will they charge you for taking off/same?

Yes, there is an additional charge for removal of shellac, but I don't recall how much it was. It could have been in the neighborhood of $15-$20 additional, but I won't swear to it.

I went in with bare nails, and had the shellac manicure for $45. Two and a half weeks later I had another, but had the additional charge, then again the same after another 2 1/2 weeks.

Manicures now do add a service charge on to the bill automatically. There was a time when they didn't, so be aware of that before you make a decision on adding more.

I here you on how many days to cruise depending on distance going and coming. Being from California I would only do 7 days going to Mexico (no thankyou) a west coast cruise or Alaskan. That is it! 2 weeks is worth it for us to travel to and fro!

How about a cruise to Hawaii, Tahiti, Polynesian islands

Yes, there is an additional charge for removal of shellac, but I don't recall how much it was. It could have been in the neighborhood of $15-$20 additional, but I won't swear to it.

I went in with bare nails, and had the shellac manicure for $45. Two and a half weeks later I had another, but had the additional charge, then again the same after another 2 1/2 weeks.

Manicures now do add a service charge on to the bill automatically. There was a time when they didn't, so be aware of that before you make a decision on adding more.

Thank you Ruth C for answering me so fast. I ran into this on another cruise and I was shocked,,, so now I know and I will be prepared, and I didn't know they add service charge, that is good to know too. I will need to have them/nails done at least once. Did you find the service good?

Thanks again,

Cyndi

I found the manicure on my last cruise exceptionally good. I have had them on several other ships, and have always been pleased.

I love that the shellac seems to last and last, without chipping, for a good long time. My last cruise was 39 days, and I had three manicures---one near the beginning, one in the last couple of days, and one about in the middle. The training of the people who give the manicures is very, very good.

We are taking a Med cruise on Eurodam in May, 2 questions if I may since we are not keen on organised tours and gift stops. Firstly, in Naples does the ship still dock in what is virtually the centre of town? if so what station on the metro is for Herculaneum ? Secondly from Citaveccia/Rome does one have to travel into Rome on the Metro and then out again to get to Ostia or is their a quicker and more direct way ? Thanks in advance Alan

We are taking a Med cruise on Eurodam in May, 2 questions if I may since we are not keen on organised tours and gift stops. Firstly, in Naples does the ship still dock in what is virtually the centre of town? if so what station on the metro is for Herculaneum ? Secondly from Citaveccia/Rome does one have to travel into Rome on the Metro and then out again to get to Ostia or is their a quicker and more direct way ? Thanks in advance Alan

You'll probably get better (or at least more) answers if you post to the Rome and Naples ports of call forums.

We will also be going in the Med Tapestry cruise on the Eurodam in July. I've been searching for reviews and tips, but the "search" function is clogged with roll calls and listings of people who are on the list to go (which is a great thing), but makes it hard to find what I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We will also be going in the Med Tapestry cruise on the Eurodam in July. I've been searching for reviews and tips, but the "search" function is clogged with roll calls and listings of people who are on the list to go (which is a great thing), but makes it hard to find what I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I find the search function often does not work for me. But I suggest you do what Dakrewser mentioned above, and go to the Ports of Call forum. If there is not a roll call for your cruise, there is a likely another Med Tapestry roll call that you can read and get info from.

Thinking about booking on the Niew Amsterdam. Has anyone been in a category HH on this ship? Is there any view at all? How is the noise from below?

Any recommendations of HH cabins? There is one ocean view cabin 1111, anyone know how that is, on Main deck.

Thanks

Geri

Edited by retiring to cruise

I have been on only two Princess crusies 17 days total. I found the noise people expect for "us novices" was not there. They are quiet no loud motors but I was forward much more. I've read hundreds of pages it's things like a restruant or bar or bar with music above you or below you... other ships services, busy hallways, loud people at night are all louder/worse than I ever thought the ship was.

Someone here will know that ship and maybe reccommend a better area or deck on that ship for noise.

Good luck, have fun

A newbie here also having a bit of trouble with the search function, so please do not get mad at me for asking...but looking for RECENT thoughts regarding tipping policy/practices on Eurodam. Specifically:

-Do you add on to the included grat per day? Who exactly gets it?

-Do you tip bartenders or do they receive the included grat?

Hubby and I both worked in the service industry for a long, long time so definitely not looking to be cheap here - if anything we tend to overtip even on service that is average or subpar. However, with more and more places including automatic service charges, etc. we also want to be sure we are not overpaying when unnecessary. Opinions seem to widely range on this and just looking for some current thoughts prior to our April sailing. Thanks in advance!

Edited by emcollins3

A newbie here also having a bit of trouble with the search function, so please do not get mad at me for asking...but looking for RECENT thoughts regarding tipping policy/practices on Eurodam. Specifically:

-Do you add on to the included grat per day? Who exactly gets it?

-Do you tip bartenders or do they receive the included grat?

Hubby and I both worked in the service industry for a long, long time so definitely not looking to be cheap here - if anything we tend to overtip even on service that is average or subpar. However, with more and more places including automatic service charges, etc. we also want to be sure we are not overpaying when unnecessary. Opinions seem to widely range on this and just looking for some current thoughts prior to our April sailing. Thanks in advance!

As you will eventually find out these ?'s have been beaten to death but I'll offer our view:

1. We leave daily gratuity, whatever it may be as it varies.

2. We usually tip extra to our DR Stewards and Cabin Stewards

3. We tip extra to special Bar Staff based on frequented areas, i.e. Ocean Bar or Crows Nest

Finally if you leave the daily gratuity any tips given above that are kept by those you give to. If not they go into a pool.

Good luck and Happy Cruising

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you will eventually find out these ?'s have been beaten to death but I'll offer our view:

1. We leave daily gratuity, whatever it may be as it varies.

2. We usually tip extra to our DR Stewards and Cabin Stewards

3. We tip extra to special Bar Staff based on frequented areas, i.e. Ocean Bar or Crows Nest

Finally if you leave the daily gratuity any tips given above that are kept by those you give to. If not they go into a pool.

Good luck and Happy Cruising

Thank you! Yes, I know this is an oft discussed topic but the search feature was giving me issues and I wanted a bit more current feedback in case there have been changes in the New Year with policy, etc.

How much extra do you typically tip your DR and cabin stewards?

Thank you! Yes, I know this is an oft discussed topic but the search feature was giving me issues and I wanted a bit more current feedback in case there have been changes in the New Year with policy, etc.

How much extra do you typically tip your DR and cabin stewards?

Usually around $20 to $25 each, they all work so hard and we try to develop a good relationship! Never had a bad experience just a few bumps now and then.

Usually around $20 to $25 each, they all work so hard and we try to develop a good relationship! Never had a bad experience just a few bumps now and then.

Thank you - very helpful! I know they all work so hard and just want to be sure we are not unintentionally short changing anyone! : )

• 2 weeks later...

We are considering booking HAL for first time, cruise to/from Amsterdam. We are from Denmark so will arrive and depart the same dates as its only 1.5 hours flight to AMS. How long does it take to get from AMS to Passenger Terminal Amsterdam? Is it best to book transport from airport via HAL (what is that -- shuttle?) or take a taxi? Thanks for your help!

We are considering booking HAL for first time, cruise to/from Amsterdam. We are from Denmark so will arrive and depart the same dates as its only 1.5 hours flight to AMS. How long does it take to get from AMS to Passenger Terminal Amsterdam? Is it best to book transport from airport via HAL (what is that -- shuttle?) or take a taxi? Thanks for your help!

You might want to post this question in the main part of the forum, where I am sure there are many who have flown into/out of Amsterdam.

Seems to me that HAL charges approx €30 per person for their bus. A taxi, as I remember is around 45-50. But you might just as easily take the train, as the passenger terminal is just about 2 blocks from the Central Station.

We got on the Veendam out of Tampa sailing tomorrow as a last minute getaway. As of yesterday! Have completedthe pre boarding check in on my IPAD. And it shows completed. BUT. there's no where to click on express docs or boarding pass. Any help would be greatly appreciated. No answers on any calls to HAL. 😱😱😱😱worrying my boyfriend to death. And it's his first cruise. 😓

Thanks!!

Thank you so much for responding. Yes, entered booking number. It does give option of luggage tags. But not boarding pass. We called Expedia who were delightfully helpful. Said we'd be "ok". Basically HAL shuts down Friday afternoon. And they've given their manifest to customs. So maybe just can't print boarding passes this late. But assured us we'd be on the boat.

I had the same problem today and I did an online chat with a rep. It wasn't taking all my credit card info for some reason, it just took the card number. I got to the end and thought I was done, but wouldn't let me continue. He walked me through it and it worked.

Thank you so much for responding. Yes, entered booking number. It does give option of luggage tags. But not boarding pass. We called Expedia who were delightfully helpful. Said we'd be "ok". Basically HAL shuts down Friday afternoon. And they've given their manifest to customs. So maybe just can't print boarding passes this late. But assured us we'd be on the boat.

Usually at the check in they do not require the boarding passes but may be needed to enter the building at the port, at least in FLL they require them.