New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Hi from Europe! New to HAL. Since the dollar/euro course is not to our advantage at the moment, we would like to pay our onboard bill in cash if we have enough dollars saved up to do so. My question: is it possible on HAL to register a credit card, but then pay most of the bill in cash before the end of the cruise?

Thanks!

Hi from Europe! New to HAL. Since the dollar/euro course is not to our advantage at the moment, we would like to pay our onboard bill in cash if we have enough dollars saved up to do so. My question: is it possible on HAL to register a credit card, but then pay most of the bill in cash before the end of the cruise?

Thanks!

Yes you can do that. They do not charge your CC until the end of the cruise so you can pay in cash before they do it. I suggest you get a print-out of your onboard account every few days to keep on top of it.

Yes you can do that. They do not charge your CC until the end of the cruise so you can pay in cash before they do it. I suggest you get a print-out of your onboard account every few days to keep on top of it.

Thanks - that was what we had hoped!!

I don't drink wine but friends of mine always put theirs in their checked suitcase as they don't carry anything on and have never had a problem. They also put three in as they know I won't bring one.

hmmm - HAL changed their rules and it is supposed to be carry on. The rules are very explicit on the website.

While one might "get by" o.k., I wouldn't take the risk and be called to the "naughty room".

We carry ours on and we normally have more than one bottle ;) we pay the corkage.

Edited by kazu

hmmm - HAL changed their rules and it is supposed to be carry on. The rules are very explicit on the website.

While one might "get by" o.k., I wouldn't take the risk and be called to the "naughty room".

We carry ours on and we normally have more than one bottle ;) we pay the corkage.

I'm not sure they know that. I will let them know that's the policy. Thank you for the information.

I'm not sure they know that. I will let them know that's the policy. Thank you for the information.

you are more than welcome. You did used to be able to check in wine not that long ago, but the rules have changed - along with the corkage fees.

Can we find out when our reservation is scheduled in the pinnacle restaurant before we board.

Is this a "free" reservation with the Explore4 (or similar package)? If so, the answer is no - you have to wait until you are on board and then you can see if you can change it.

If you are reserving on line, you choose the time.

Looking forward to our first HAL cruise on the Oosterdam in March. Tried searching but can’t find the information I’m looking for.

We are assuming there is a liquor store onboard where you can buy duty-free to take off the ship at the end of the cruise (like all the other lines we have sailed). Does anyone have a copy of the order form? We are interested in Bourbon, Irish whiskey, Crown Royal, and vodka.

Any insight into the brands of Bourbon, Irish and vodka they might carry is appreciated.

Thank you! :)

Looking forward to our first HAL cruise on the Oosterdam in March. Tried searching but can’t find the information I’m looking for.

We are assuming there is a liquor store onboard where you can buy duty-free to take off the ship at the end of the cruise (like all the other lines we have sailed). Does anyone have a copy of the order form? We are interested in Bourbon, Irish whiskey, Crown Royal, and vodka.

Any insight into the brands of Bourbon, Irish and vodka they might carry is appreciated.

Thank you! :)

there is indeed a liquor store on board. You simply go, place your order and the bottles are delivered to you on the last night of the cruise to take of the ship.

I don't recall seeing a list in the cabin.

There were several varieties available on the ships we were on but the inventory probably varies by ship (due to size) and possibly even the cruise.

I recall seeing a Russian vodka & Grey Goose there though if that is of some help along with some top brands of scotch/whiskey.

first time HAL cruiser with a couple of questions:

1. We've mainly sailed on Crystal before - what should we expect to be the main differences (we know about the drinks not being included).

2. I believe that suites are being upgraded? Does anyone know if the Noordam will have been done by October 2016?

3. Is it worth hiring a retreat cabana? [We like our peace & quiet]

4. If you order tea or coffee on room service, will you be charged for it?

Thanks so much!

1. We've mainly sailed on Crystal before - what should we expect to be the main differences (we know about the drinks not being included).

2. I believe that suites are being upgraded? Does anyone know if the Noordam will have been done by October 2016?

Thanks so much!

Haven't sailed Crystal, but considering it is luxury, I think you will see differences in the food and possibly some service elements. We like HAL's crew but they won't have the crew to passenger ratio that Crystal would.

those that get the retreat cabanas really like them and report the service there good so it might be worth it to you to get one. I'll let someone else chime in on that one more.

No charge for tea and coffee (regular coffee) in the dining rooms, lido or for room service. No charge for food room service items either.

Thanks so much!

The retreat cabanas are great. I always book one when I'm travelling on a ship with them. Be sure to book one early if you are interested. On some itineraries they tend to get booked early.

Neptune and Pinnacle suites get complimentary laundry service. If you are not in one of those, the unlimited laundry is a good deal IMHO. $7/day/cabin in North America for each day of the cruise. So for a 7 day cruise $49, a 10 day cruise $70.... There is also "stuff a bag" where you can send out a bag of laundry for $20 (N. America, not sure about the cost in other areas).

I was told by HAL that the "bag" for $20. is not ironed, just washed and folded. My rollcall said that it's the same bag that free laundry users use, so she thinks that the "bag" is ironed. If it's not ironed, it has limited use. Does anyone know if the bag is ironed? Thank you for any information!!

I was told by HAL that the "bag" for $20. is not ironed, just washed and folded. My rollcall said that it's the same bag that free laundry users use, so she thinks that the "bag" is ironed. If it's not ironed, it has limited use. Does anyone know if the bag is ironed? Thank you for any information!!

Last time I did the laundry by the bag it was $20, but it could well have gone up by now. Believe me, it's a good deal - you can stuff SO much in those bags. Officially, it does not include ironing, but everything comes back either on hangers or folded in a basket. My DH's dress shirts were fine, and if they were not ironed they sure were wrinkle-free.:)