New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Thanks for your information Kazu and yes you did understand my question. It was Michael at HAL and he said it applied to tender ports and port of disembarkation. He confirmed this information to me again when I pointed out we were 30 minutes early to disembark and we didn't see anyone disembark prior to those of us doing self assist. I thought his information was wrong and he has it confused with just tender ports.

Do you get a priority number when you embark? Say we arrive 30 minutes after those first there and they got the best embarkation letter/number. Would we also get that letter/number if we are in a Neptune Suite? I don't think San Diego has a special lounge/room for those who are Neptune/Pinnacle.

Normally they give you a tag with an S on it, or something similar at the embarkation port. I haven't embarked at San Diego (yet ;)). The S's go on right after the HC people that need wheel chair assistance. Assuming San Diego has a suite lineup, they should take care of you and guide you. You don't need to be first there - as long as embarkation hasn't started, you should still get your priority.

I have been in ports where there wasn't special embarkation so I don't know if San Diego could be one of those or not - hopefully not. My experience for the non- special embarkation was in Europe, but it was a quick boarding so no biggie IMO.

What hours are the Neptune Lounge open?

depends upon the cruise. There will be a letter in your room letting you know the hours.

Around 7:00 am to 8:00 pm depending upon if the ship is in port or at sea. (usually 1/2 hour later if at sea if memory serves).

Don't beat me up if yours doesn't open until 7:30 a.m. LOL.

depends upon the cruise. There will be a letter in your room letting you know the hours.

Around 7:00 am to 8:00 pm depending upon if the ship is in port or at sea. (usually 1/2 hour later if at sea if memory serves).

Don't beat me up if yours doesn't open until 7:30 a.m. LOL.

Thanks for the information. No worries about beating you up. I can't reach you :D Think we are going to upgrade but take a cabin that means a good walk to the Neptune (forced exercise).

Edited by qsuzi

Thanks for the information. No worries about beating you up. I can't reach you :D Think we are going to upgrade but take a cabin that means a good walk to the Neptune (forced exercise).

good for you. sounds like an aft cabin. enjoy :)

you can still bring the lattes/expressos/cappuccinos back to your cabin. If you are worried, use the tray under your wine bucket if need be :)

good luck and have a great cruise :)

good for you. sounds like an aft cabin. enjoy :)

you can still bring the lattes/expressos/cappuccinos back to your cabin. If you are worried, use the tray under your wine bucket if need be :)

good luck and have a great cruise :)

Thanks so much for the good wishes and great idea about using the tray under the wine bucket. We are thinking about booking cabin 7093 on the Westerdam. We will also use the in suite coffee and espresso machine (available beginning January 2016).

Thanks so much for the good wishes and great idea about using the tray under the wine bucket. We are thinking about booking cabin 7093 on the Westerdam. We will also use the in suite coffee and espresso machine (available beginning January 2016).

wonder if the coffee in those will be as good as in the Pinnacle Grill and Neptune Lounge? You'll have to compare and let us know :)

Seeking information on square footage of a Neptune Suite (Westerdam) - I am getting conflicting information. The HAL site says it is "approximately 500–712 sq. ft. including verandah", HAL chat/customer service said it is 395 sq ft cabin plus 60 sq foot balcony, a paid Deckplan site I use says it is 380 sq ft cabin plus 136 sq ft balcony.

wonder if the coffee in those will be as good as in the Pinnacle Grill and Neptune Lounge? You'll have to compare and let us know :)

Thanks again for your well wishes Kazu. I just love the coffee in the Pinnacle Grill and will be visiting the Neptune Lounge from time to time and the longer walk to the Crow's Nest. I love walking the ship early in the mornings with my first stop at the Crow's Nest.

I was checking out your next two cruises and they look great. You provide such excellent resources and coordination etc to those on your roll calls. Kudo's to you.

Seeking information on square footage of a Neptune Suite (Westerdam) - I am getting conflicting information. The HAL site says it is "approximately 500–712 sq. ft. including verandah", HAL chat/customer service said it is 395 sq ft cabin plus 60 sq foot balcony, a paid Deckplan site I use says it is 380 sq ft cabin plus 136 sq ft balcony.

if you google 7093-westerdam-s, I think you will find a site with loads of pictures of the S cabins in the vista category;)

I think that is the cabin that you were thinking of?

Size of the NS cabins vary depending upon the category and if they are aft, hump or wherever. 7093 is at the "hump" and we actually had that type of cabin on the Oosterdam (SB). Technically the room is smaller than an SA and you will notice that the couch is a bit smaller, but the room was so well laid out it seemed larger to us. Friends in an SA really liked it. Assuming you have that cabin, the verandah is larger than the traditional S veranda. It is longer. The wind might get you on one end but it is so long that you can usually find a spot.

that veranda probably is around 135 - not as wide in spots but very long and a chance for great views if the winds co-operate.

Thanks again for your well wishes Kazu. I just love the coffee in the Pinnacle Grill and will be visiting the Neptune Lounge from time to time and the longer walk to the Crow's Nest. I love walking the ship early in the mornings with my first stop at the Crow's Nest.

I was checking out your next two cruises and they look great. You provide such excellent resources and coordination etc to those on your roll calls. Kudo's to you.

thank you for the kind words.

if you google 7093-westerdam-s, I think you will find a site with loads of pictures of the S cabins in the vista category;)

I think that is the cabin that you were thinking of?

Size of the NS cabins vary depending upon the category and if they are aft, hump or wherever. 7093 is at the "hump" and we actually had that type of cabin on the Oosterdam (SB). Technically the room is smaller than an SA and you will notice that the couch is a bit smaller, but the room was so well laid out it seemed larger to us. Friends in an SA really liked it. Assuming you have that cabin, the verandah is larger than the traditional S veranda. It is longer. The wind might get you on one end but it is so long that you can usually find a spot. that veranda probably is around 135 - not as wide in spots but very long and a chance for great views if the winds co-operate.

Yes it is 7093 and we have looked at various resources that have pictures. We were in 8099 on the Westerdam last cruise and it looks like it is basically the same (we loved the cabin but at times it was windy). It looks like the Neptunes have an additional closet (and are wider?) so maybe 80 sq ft bigger? Do you think the balcony sizes of these two cabins are about the same?

I am confused by your reference to the "vista category" in relationship to 7093 a Neptune Suite.

Edited by qsuzi

Yes it is 7093 and we have looked at various resources that have pictures. We were in 8099 on the Westerdam last cruise and it looks like it is basically the same (we loved the cabin but at times it was windy). It looks like the Neptunes have an additional closet (and are wider?) so maybe 80 sq ft bigger? Do you think the balcony sizes of these two cabins are about the same?

I am confused by your reference to the "vista category" in relationship to 7093 a Neptune Suite.

Vista is the class of the ship - Westerdam, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Noordam.

I think you lose one closet in that room but I am going by memory, but we had plenty of space and suggest you look at the pics I referenced.

The balconies (if I understood your question) are about double the size of a a standard veranda.

hopefully someone else can help you out more.

Hello

we've cruised a bit before but this will be our first time on HAL. We are due on Rotterdam out of Rome in 3 weeks time.

Are the electrical sockets in the cabin N. American, European (Northern or Southern), British or a mixture? We have an inside guaranteed cabin - probably next to the brig!

Is it advisable to bring a small extension lead (I believe it's called a power bar across the pond!) to recharge the camera, tablet, phone, blue-tooth speaker etc.?

Being Irish I am partial to a cup of tea in the morning so we take our PG Tips with us. Is there a kettle in the stateroom or do we bring a travel kettle? How readily available is fresh milk? I don't mind a stroll to collect it

Thanks in anticipation for your help

Steve and Sharon

Hello

we've cruised a bit before but this will be our first time on HAL. We are due on Rotterdam out of Rome in 3 weeks time.

Are the electrical sockets in the cabin N. American, European (Northern or Southern), British or a mixture? We have an inside guaranteed cabin - probably next to the brig!

Is it advisable to bring a small extension lead (I believe it's called a power bar across the pond!) to recharge the camera, tablet, phone, blue-tooth speaker etc.?

Being Irish I am partial to a cup of tea in the morning so we take our PG Tips with us. Is there a kettle in the stateroom or do we bring a travel kettle? How readily available is fresh milk? I don't mind a stroll to collect it

Steve and Sharon

I doubt you are close to the brig :)

Seriously, there are two outlets beside each other. One is N American and the other euro. (standard euro adapter works with it)

You can request a power bar on board. You can't bring one that has surge protection because of the risk to the ship.

Now, for the bad news - no kettle in the cabins and no kettle allowed in the cabins as they are considered a fire hazard. Now for the good news, the Lido has hot water (and coffee) 24/7 so you could bring an insulated mug and make tea with the hot water. There is fresh milk in the Lido (in the little cartons) for breakfast, lunch & dinner so you can grab one of those for your tea.

hope this helps a bit.

Hello

Steve and Sharon

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to Holland America Line.

Plugs are two-pin as found in Germany. Extension cords, normally with a meter or so of cord and a end with several outlets (without a surge protector) are acceptable. I would recommend you purchase a 220-volt adapter that will allow several USB devices to plug-in.

No kettles and you may not bring your own. Room Service will bring you tea (pot, cup, and tea bag) and fresh milk (make sure you ask for milk) whenever you want it delivered (free 24/7). Many don't like the tea so you might want to bring your own tea bags. Milk, hot water, and tea is available in the Lido 24/7.

We bring a thermos and fill it with hot water before retiring and it is still hot enough for making tea in the AM when your feet touch the floor.

Edited by Crew News

Hello

Steve and Sharon

Excellent idea, to bring your own tea bags, because the brand HAL is using lately pretty much makes warm tinted water. However, they were able to find me some PG Tips when I asked for real tea bags.:D Kazu has already responded to the plugs issue, and while some other cruise lines have kettles and coffee makers in the cabins, HAL does not. Though is has been rumoured that suites, in future, will have a coffee maker in the suite.

Though is has been rumoured that suites, in future, will have a coffee maker in the suite.

Source:HAL Website

Suite amenities include:

NEW: In-suite coffee and espresso machine*

NEW: Bose® SoundDock®*

NEW: Expanded line of Elemis bath amenities*

NEW: Complimentary mimosas with in-suite breakfast*

NEW: Premium duvet, and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers*

Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise

Premium duvet, oversize bath towels and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers

Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night

Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request

Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise

Cocktail party with ship officers

Priority boarding for tender ports of call

Special disembarkation service

Priority dining and seating requests

Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only

High tea service in suite on request

A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length

A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

* Available in January 2016

I doubt you are close to the brig :)

Seriously, there are two outlets beside each other. One is N American and the other euro. (standard euro adapter works with it)

You can request a power bar on board. You can't bring one that has surge protection because of the risk to the ship.

So can I bring a plain extension cord or multi plug as long as it's not a surge protector? Should I buy an adaptor?

Yes, I always bring need and used an extension cord for my medical equipment on both my Princess cruises and no one said a thing.

Are plain extension cords with multiple outlets okay on HAL? I assume. More about clutter than power use.

Yes they are. What is not allowed is the kind with surge protector.

Okay we are set to arrive at 1030 in Fll. I paid for the transfer and luggage handling. What is the timeline of events once we get to Fll ? What do we do when and what do I need to know to be prepared?

Assuming that you mean arriving on the day of the cruise:

1. A HAL representative, waving a HAL sign, will be in the Baggage Claim area meeting incoming flights.

2. When you see him/her, let them know that you are there and they will point you to where to meet the bus that will take you to the Port Everglades Terminal

3. Put the HAL luggage tags on the suitcases that you will not be carrying on to the ship.

4. Drop off all luggage (both to check and carry-on)at the bus and board the bus. Keep your passport in case Port Security needs to check it. Keep an eye on your luggage to make sure it is loaded.

5. At the HAL terminal, gather your carry-on items and proceed into the terminal. Porters will take possession of the luggage to be delivered to your room.

6. HAL reps will give you a health certificate to complete and guide you through Security screening and to the check in counters.

7. You will have your picture taken, issued stateroom card, and then given a boarding sequence number.

8. When your number is called, you will pointed to the gangway for boarding.

9. Stateroom card will be scanned at the top of the gangway by Ship Security.

10. After scanning, you will pointed to several banks of elevators to take to your floor.

11. Proceed to your stateroom and drop off carry-on luggage.

12. Check that pink envelopes containing your shore excursion tickets are in the room (desk or bed). Review On Location to see daily activities

13. Lunch on Deck 9 Lido Restaurant, Main Dining Room (Deck 2 0r 3 if open), or Dive-In by the indoor pool on Deck 9.

14. After lunch unpack you luggage when it arrives.

15. Wander the ship.

16. Make dinner reservations at Specialty restaurants. if desired.

17. Muster/Safety drill about 45 minutes before departure.

18. After drill, grab a good spot to watch sail away. Note that webcams will be photographing those on the port (left) side of the ship. We bring a state flag to wave to the camera.

19. Put laundry in bag, if desired, and leave on bed before going to dinner.

20. Dinner

21. Optional rest of evening.

22. Review On Location for the next day activities.

23. Complete Room Service card and hang on door.

24. Bedtime.

I hope this is what you wanted to know. Of course you have lots of options too numerous to cover here.

Edited by Crew News