New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Our cruise ends in Vancouver and it lists the Disembarkment time as 7am. What time do we absolutely Have to be up and ready and off the ship? We're planning on touring the city that day but I'll be exhausted by noon if I have to get up and be ready to go by 7am....we're debating on a red eye flight home or staying overnight in a hotel out by the airport and taking a 6 am flight. I have figured either way we'll do the luggage to the airport option. Thanks for all the hints and suggestions!

Edited by scrap47

Our cruise ends in Vancouver and it lists the Disembarkment time as 7am. What time do we absolutely Have to be up and ready and off the ship? We're planning on touring the city that day but I'll be exhausted by noon if I have to get up and be ready to go by 7am....we're debating on a red eye flight home or staying overnight in a hotel out by the airport and taking a 6 am flight. I have figured either way we'll do the luggage to the airport option. Thanks for all the hints and suggestions!

Breakfast is served earlier than normal that morning to allow those that want to leave early to do so.

They normally like to have the ship cleared by 9:30 a.m. (assuming all goes well) so you would probably have to get off by around 9:15 or 9:30. Not as early as it sounds ;)

A couple days before disembarkation they give you a time you will be getting off based on your flight time or request. I think the latest we time we had was 945.

With my experience they are never on time. Our disembarkation group has been called anywhere form 15 to 45 minutes later than what they told us. Not to worry that you will have to be off at 7. As Kazu said above they do start and end breakfast earlier on that day.

A couple days before disembarkation they give you a time you will be getting off based on your flight time or request. I think the latest we time we had was 945.

With my experience they are never on time. Our disembarkation group has been called anywhere form 15 to 45 minutes later than what they told us. Not to worry that you will have to be off at 7. As Kazu said above they do start and end breakfast earlier on that day.

And yet a couple of weeks ago on the NA we requested 9:15 - and our group was called at 8:30!

We have the Ultimate Drink Package for the first time on our upcoming NA cruise but not sure how its handled on board ship. Would appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

"Ultimate Drink Package" is a Royal Caribbean package. Are you on an RCI cruise, or do you have HAL's Signature Beverage Package? If the latter, drinks are charged to your acct then credited to your account (immediately). Nothing you need to do, the computer takes care of it.

Hi! I just spent several days reading this and other posts but have a few additional questions. I have booked a land and sea journey for next summer thru HAL. Wondering if there is an advantage to switching that to a local TA. We also booked a guaranteed veranda room - not sure if this was the right choice....my hubs is a smoker so we chose one towards the back of the boat as I read that was a respectful thing to do.

For the land portion, which is the majority of the trip, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for packing and such. We have decided not to take the meal plan since we love to eat local and I love doing research. I appreciate all the information I've gleaned from all you seasoned cruisers. This will be my our first cruise ever!

I'm new to HAl too, and now I'M confused. If you booked a "guaranteed" veranda, how exactly did you chose "one towards the back of the boat"? Usually with guarantee bookings, you do not get to pick a cabin, it's selected for you and assigned anytime between booking and arrival at the pier. Did you perhaps just choose a cabin category that has numerous cabins towards the aft?

I'm new to HAl too, and now I'M confused. If you booked a "guaranteed" veranda, how exactly did you chose "one towards the back of the boat"? Usually with guarantee bookings, you do not get to pick a cabin, it's selected for you and assigned anytime between booking and arrival at the pier. Did you perhaps just choose a cabin category that has numerous cabins towards the aft?

They booked a category stateroom that are only located towards the Aft of the ship.

As an example: On Eurodam the VB and VC category staterooms are only on the aft of the ship. She has booked a category that though she does not say on the aft is close to these and would not be located anywhere else. Hope that makes sense.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Only two cruises on Princess but soon this March on HAL a 21 day Panama Canal cruise. I was looking and asking for the same... it's there buried. Just in last 2 or 3 days there was talk or new posts in new to HAL and the 21 day a March 12th cruise thread.

Copied from HAL Site

Signature Beverage Package*

For our guests 21 years of age or older, we offer the convenience and value of paying one price per day for beverages enjoyed during the course of their cruise. Choose from:

A variety of wines, beers, spirits and cocktails (including non-alcoholic) from our many lounges, bars and restaurants

After-dinner coffee drinks from the Explorer’s Lounge; made-to-order espresso drinks from the Explorations Café

Refreshing sodas and beverages poolside

I found out it's for drinks under 8 bucks USA. A 15 day limit. I never read or found if per person or cabin. Person I assume. On the 21 day it was about 1,100 bucks 54-55 dollars a day.

Edited by GoneJohnson

My bad....I don't understand the terminology....(to me a "guaranteed" room would be the one I chose). So I do NOT have a guaranteed room, however we chose our specific stateroom.

Clear to me now. Thanks for setting me (and the record :) ) straight!

Have only sailed Princess in the past but we'll be on our first HAL (Amsterdam) in May 2016. Have read lots on here of various drink packages but no mention of a Coffee Card (package). It's usually available for around $31 . . . is a punch card for about 15 drinks . . . and applies to various kinds of specialty coffees (usually espresso-based) and ice cream. Also good for limitless "brewed" coffee (as opposed to the liquid concentrate variety from MDR or Lido/Horizon Buffets). Best on (Princess) ships that have an International Cafe but applies to other ships as well.

Does HAL have that (or some version of that)??

Also wondering about the availability of ice cream (soft serve, actually) on HAL? Princess ships (most?) have a booth/kiosk for soft serve cones and sundaes, usually on the pool deck somewhere, that are limitless and free and for pretty extended hours (though not 24/7). DH *loves* this. Does HAL have something similar?

Have only sailed Princess in the past but we'll be on our first HAL (Amsterdam) in May 2016. Have read lots on here of various drink packages but no mention of a Coffee Card (package). It's usually available for around $31 . . . is a punch card for about 15 drinks . . . and applies to various kinds of specialty coffees (usually espresso-based) and ice cream. Also good for limitless "brewed" coffee (as opposed to the liquid concentrate variety from MDR or Lido/Horizon Buffets). Best on (Princess) ships that have an International Cafe but applies to other ships as well.

Does HAL have that (or some version of that)??

First, all the included coffee is brewed, and decent. Let's get that out of the way.

Second, there is no specific "coffee card". The Signature Beverage Package includes the specialty coffees as one of the 15 drinks per day, but can be very expensive unless you are drinking a lot of alcoholic drinks, too.

There is a "beverage card" that can be used to purchase specialty coffees and other drinks. There is no financial advantage to this card, though. It's main benefit is that you make one purchase for the card, get the one receipt, and you don't have to keep further track of your purchases for the final bill.

Also wondering about the availability of ice cream (soft serve, actually) on HAL? Princess ships (most?) have a booth/kiosk for soft serve cones and sundaes, usually on the pool deck somewhere, that are limitless and free and for pretty extended hours (though not 24/7). DH *loves* this. Does HAL have something similar?

Ice cream, to include soft-serve, is available at the Dessert Station in the Lido Restaurant without charge. In addition regular ice cream (vanilla and chocolate) is available with often a special flavor(s) each day. Numerous sundae toppings are also available.

Here is the HAL Explorations Specialty Coffee Menu to give you an idea of prices:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Explorations-Cafe.pdf

Edited by Crew News

We're considering a TA on the Eurodam, it would be our first HAL cruise. Have cruised Celebrity and Princess a lot. Both lines usually have lectures once or twice a day on sea days. Does HAL?

Thanks

yes, HAL usually has lecturers on the Transatlantics. There are usually two different lecturers from what I have experienced and they are usually interesting. :)

Typically 2 on a TA. On our last, in 2012 when we were within 50 miles of the Titanic sinking on the 50th anniversary, there was a historian who lectured on that fateful cruise plus an astronomer who not only lectured each at-sea day but also held sessions on the Observation deck on clear nights. Loads of fun and educational...

We're considering a TA on the Eurodam, it would be our first HAL cruise. Have cruised Celebrity and Princess a lot. Both lines usually have lectures once or twice a day on sea days. Does HAL?

I've done many trans-Ats on HAL over the years, the last as recently as November '15 on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We have always had lecturers, usually two, and sometimes as many as three a day. Varied topics, and usually all very good to excellent presentations.

Typically 2 on a TA. On our last, in 2012 when we were within 50 miles of the Titanic sinking on the 50th anniversary, there was a historian who lectured on that fateful cruise plus an astronomer who not only lectured each at-sea day but also held sessions on the Observation deck on clear nights. Loads of fun and educational...

I meant, of course, the 100th anniversary. :(