New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Hi! I just spent several days reading this and other posts but have a few additional questions. I have booked a land and sea journey for next summer thru HAL. Wondering if there is an advantage to switching that to a local TA. We also booked a guaranteed veranda room - not sure if this was the right choice....my hubs is a smoker so we chose one towards the back of the boat as I read that was a respectful thing to do.

For the land portion, which is the majority of the trip, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for packing and such. We have decided not to take the meal plan since we love to eat local and I love doing research. I appreciate all the information I've gleaned from all you seasoned cruisers. This will be my our first cruise ever!

My only suggestion would be to take comfortable waterproof shoes as some of the ground will be frozen or slushy. Also take layers. We took a long sleeved shirt and a vest...and that was warm enough for the land portions. We ate at the lodges we stayed in each evening and morning.

This came with our cruise fare .........

Is it possible to "convert" to OBC since we don't drink coffee or liquor ??

Thank You,

BettyNL

highly doubtful.

If you won't get your money's worth out of pop and water, then I would suggest you see if you can get pricing without the package.

there might be a price difference that would give you some savings.

I've sailed with HAL 4 times but can someone remind me/inform what the current "deposit" amount is for onboard spending. We prefer to bring cash instead of using a credit card (yes I'm aware of a risk carrying a large amount of cash around)

The hold is $60 per person, per day, for cruises up to 30 days (I think that's the number; I'm close, if not). For those longer cruises the hold is $30 per person per day.

What deposit hold are we speaking of?

There are two options:

When completing your embarkation procedure you have your credit card swiped to put a hold of $60 per person per day on your CC to cover any onboard expenses you may have. At the end of the cruise the hold is released and the actual amount of spending is actually charged to your credit card.

If you prefer not to use a crdit card, you must pay cash to the front desk equal to $60 per person per day. If at the end of the cruise you have not spent that amount it will be refunded to you.

There are two options:

When completing your embarkation procedure you have your credit card swiped to put a hold of $60 per person per day on your CC to cover any onboard expenses you may have. At the end of the cruise the hold is released and the actual amount of spending is actually charged to your credit card.

If you prefer not to use a crdit card, you must pay cash to the front desk equal to $60 per person per day. If at the end of the cruise you have not spent that amount it will be refunded to you.

Welcome to the difference between HAL and CCL. We usually do cash deposit but we do about $300 and then add if we need to. Not a huge fan of being forced to do the amount stated.

Our cruise will return to port on Jan 2 early am. But our flight doesn't leave until 8pm. I know we could do an excursion but what do we do with our luggage?

There are a couple of possibilities.

Depending on your airline and port, it could be taken to the airport and loaded on your flight without your need to be with it. Details here.

Or, if you take a ship's excursion and transfer to the airport then your luggage will be loaded on your bus and you will only need to claim it at the airport when you arrive there after the excursion.

If you are new to the Vista Class get your map and explore the ship.

You only need to explore the first three floors and the top two floors.

The crow nest and Internet cafe are on floor ten and you need to go to the forward elevator to get there or climb the forward stair case.

On floor nine is the spa, pools, and lido buffet.

One floor one, two and three are shops, bars, front desk, dining rooms and show rooms.

Once you get the lay of the land, the fun can begin.:D

What is the Vista Class? I'm gonna be on the Nieuw Amsterdam for the first time next June, so I don't know a whole lot about Holland America, I've sailed mostly with Rccl.

What is the Vista Class? I'm gonna be on the Nieuw Amsterdam for the first time next June, so I don't know a whole lot about Holland America, I've sailed mostly with Rccl.

Vista Class is a slightly smaller/passenger size group of ships in the HAL fleet.

We will be on the same NA cruise itinerary in May next year and I will be posting the daily activities (On Location) as well as all of the menus so stay tuned.

Here is my photographic tour of the Nieuw Amsterdam to give you an idea of what to expect on board:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/

Vista Class is a slightly smaller/passenger size group of ships in the HAL fleet.

We will be on the same NA cruise itinerary in May next year and I will be posting the daily activities (On Location) as well as all of the menus so stay tuned.

Here is my photographic tour of the Nieuw Amsterdam to give you an idea of what to expect on board:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/

Oh, I'm more than ready to go now!!:) Will be waitin!! Thanks for showin the photos.

Virginia

What time is happy hour. Thanks

It varies, but will be listed in your daily "On Location". On our recent cruise hour was 4-5 in the Crow's Nest for sure. I believe was also 5-6 (or, maybe 4-5) in the Ocean Bar. And some nights was repeated from 10-11 in either Crow's Nest or Northern Lights.

At what time do the bars start last call? If it differs by ship, I'll be on the Niuew Amsterdam.

The hours of all the bars (different ones have different hours) are posted in the On Location (daily paper) for each day.

At what time do the bars start last call? If it differs by ship, I'll be on the Niuew Amsterdam.

The hours of all the bars (different ones have different hours) are posted in the On Location (daily paper) for each day.

What kazu says and it also depends, in my belief, in itinerary, i.e.; Caribbean, Alaska, Pacific, Europe and others as to when they'd close/last call.

For a general idea of the On Location for

Alaska Noordam May 2015: http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/alaska-2015-noordam-on-location-daily-activities/

Eastern Caribbean Nieuw Amsterdam November 2014 and 2015 http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/eastern-caribbean-ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-locations-daily-activities-2014-15/

Hope these give you a basic idea.

Joanie

I've been reading a lot on CC about not drinking the ships water due to increased salinity. Most posters talk about bringing their own case of water or having some delivered. Is this really a problem? Does HAL have bottled water I can preorder by the case? Can I get bottled water on my signature drink package as one of my 15 drinks?

Thanks in advance

Christy

I've been reading a lot on CC about not drinking the ships water due to increased salinity. Most posters talk about bringing their own case of water or having some delivered. Is this really a problem? Does HAL have bottled water I can preorder by the case? Can I get bottled water on my signature drink package as one of my 15 drinks?

Thanks in advance

Christy

Yes, HAL does have bottled water. I don't think you can pre-order. Personally, I prefer the bottled water but perhaps because I come from an area where our tap water is pristine. The water the ship has a weird taste for me. Most people say they have no problem with it. I don't bring a case of water, I just purchase some in ports, or on the ship as I need it.

Thanks in advance

Christy

Per HAL Website: Our Signature Beverage Package* offers the convenience and value of paying one price per day for beverages enjoyed during the course of your cruise. A variety of wines, beers, spirits and cocktails (including non-alcoholic) from our many lounges, bars and restaurants

After-dinner coffee drinks from the Explorer’s Lounge; made-to-order espresso drinks from the Explorations Café Refreshing sodas and beverages poolside.

While the website does not specifically list water we were able to get small or large bottled water at no charge as part of our 15 per day beverage limit.