New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

There is a page or link here at cruise critic I thought but do not see it. It was a tool you put info like cruise ship and trip date and it listed price drops. It's also possible it was else where.

Hopefully a more veteran cruiser knows where it is. I have wondered myself... then do I physically have to look each day? I bought from HAL so need to know when HAL drops a price. My cruise is next March 2016 a 21 day Panama Canal. I'm getting excited.

Under Deals pulldown is Price Drops. Then you can select to be notified by email of what you are interested in.

Has anybody taken a cruise in the Med with HAL which stops at Monaco on the Grand Prix weekend. I assume it is a render port anyway, and does the GP alter anything ?. I would think Monaco is closed for the weekend so normal sightseeing is out. Do HAL change anything to the itinerary to accommodate this event ?. Thanks in advance Alan

Has anybody taken a cruise in the Med with HAL which stops at Monaco on the Grand Prix weekend. I assume it is a render port anyway, and does the GP alter anything ?. I would think Monaco is closed for the weekend so normal sightseeing is out. Do HAL change anything to the itinerary to accommodate this event ?. Thanks in advance Alan

We have tendered in Monaco and we have also docked there. So, it is not necessarily a tender port. Depends upon the ships in port and there size.

There is lots to see on the Riviera besides Monaco - in fact a LOT more. Monaco is nice certainly but it is the tip of the iceberg so to speak.

Sorry haven't been there when the Grand Prix is on though.

Why buy the cards ahead of time and not just sign for your purchase?

I haven't traveled on HAL before. . .

Thanks, Pennie

you can certainly sign for it. Some of us like the convenience of not having a bunch of slips to check to the on board billing. It makes for easy accounting.

And those of us in other countries can save on exchange rate if we buy them early depending on which way the dollar is going ;)

Why buy the cards ahead of time and not just sign for your purchase?

I haven't traveled on HAL before. . .

Thanks, Pennie

It is a way of spreading out the expense and not having a huge bill at the end of the cruise. I buy mine ahead of time, and as Kazu said, it makes it so much easier when reconciling your onboard account to not have loads of bits of paper to deal with! I also purchase OBC ahead of the cruise, so that covers even more onboard spending. With our dollar going in the tank I'd rather do it now.

Hello!

Our profile: My wife and I are both 58-year old first time cruisers from the Philippines, hence new to cruise and new to HAL

Our cruise: 7N roundtrip Vancouver -Alaska on 20 September

New cruiser question: at embarkation at Canada Place - what currency should I tip in-port or pier baggage handlers - Canada dollars or US dollars?

New to HAL question: our express docs indicates that there will be 2 gala dinners -- does the Le Cirque dinner typically coincide with one of the formal gala night dinners? (the website states that Le Cirque in this particular cruise will be held on the 5th night).

Thanks

Hello!

Our profile: My wife and I are both 58-year old first time cruisers from the Philippines, hence new to cruise and new to HAL

Our cruise: 7N roundtrip Vancouver -Alaska on 20 September

New cruiser question: at embarkation at Canada Place - what currency should I tip in-port or pier baggage handlers - Canada dollars or US dollars?

New to HAL question: our express docs indicates that there will be 2 gala dinners -- does the Le Cirque dinner typically coincide with one of the formal gala night dinners? (the website states that Le Cirque in this particular cruise will be held on the 5th night).

Thanks

Since you are in Canada I would tip in Canadian dollars. They won't be unhappy with US$ though in view of the current exchange rates ;)

For Gala nights, your first night will be your first full sea day. I honestly can't figure out when a second Gala night would fit in if I am looking at the right itinerary (Oosterdam). I have a feeling there may only be one?

Le Cirque can be on a formal night - just as some PG dining nights are.

US$ is fine, no need to get Canadian for this one stop. Both currencies float back and forth across the border.

It looks like 2nd and 5th night would be your Gala nights (although the 2nd, that is the one on the 5th day, might be cancelled).

Thanks

Edited by dakrewser

We booked our upcoming cruise through a U.S. Travel agent but in $cdn. On our last cruise on RCCL we also booked in $cdn and were able to buy OBC prior to sailing at a very advantageous exchange rate compared to the bank rate. Just wondering if HAL has a similar deal going?

Hello Mackfam,

I'm sure others will be helpful in answering your question, however your question made me want to write re Holland America and sales in Europe.

I have tried to buy a HAL cruise from a number of American Agencies on line. I am consistently told that HAL do not allow this.

The point is that the dollar price shown where converted to say sterling is very much cheaper than the sterling price quoted when I turn to UK based agencies.

I know other Cruise Lines allow USA companies to sell cruises outside the US can anyone explain....let alone justify HAL's position.

I'd be interested to know if other UK based cruisers have been "victimised" this way.

Deeko

We booked our upcoming cruise through a U.S. Travel agent but in $cdn. On our last cruise on RCCL we also booked in $cdn and were able to buy OBC prior to sailing at a very advantageous exchange rate compared to the bank rate. Just wondering if HAL has a similar deal going?

You can buy OBC in advance from HAL but sadly there is no "special" exchange rate. It is processed at the ongoing rate by the credit card company.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and believe me, I wish that HAL had that ;)

I know other Cruise Lines allow USA companies to sell cruises outside the US can anyone explain....let alone justify HAL's position.

Its their company, they can do it any way they want. If enough people were to choose a different cruise line they might reconsider, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Hi:

I do have a TA. In the past, I have been the who has found the discounted price for our cruise, on 2 occasions (2 different travel agents). I actually found out about the second one (a Baltic cruise on RCI last June) via cruise critic Roll Call!

I just wondered if there was a special trick to following for price reductions for HAL.

Thank you for your replies.

QG

Try Google. Search for "cruise price drop alert". We can't name sites here. One that comes up is one by Cruise Critic, which I believe, was explained in another post. But there is another site that will, for a small price, send you an email when there is a price drop. It may seem a little "fishy" but it works and the savings, if there are price drops, outweigh the small cost of the service. This will work for other major cruise lines, as well.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Our cruise package comes with two complimentary dinners in the Pinnacle Grill. Our two teenagers will also be in the same cabin. It is my understanding that we don't pick our reservation date and time and that it is chosen for us. I assume that when they make the reservation for us, they will give us a reservation for four instead of just covering the two complimentary dinners. Am I correct in that assumption?

Our cruise package comes with two complimentary dinners in the Pinnacle Grill. Our two teenagers will also be in the same cabin. It is my understanding that we don't pick our reservation date and time and that it is chosen for us. I assume that when they make the reservation for us, they will give us a reservation for four instead of just covering the two complimentary dinners. Am I correct in that assumption?

Don't assume anything. Check with your travel agent who can inquire of HAL what's going on. But don't wait until you're on-board or it may be too late.

I agree. Don't bet the cruise budget that HAL will assume you all want to dine together that night, and give you a table for four---let alone make a reservation for two people who have not paid in advance.

If you can't get it organized in advance, then go to the Pinnacle when you board. Bring your reservation (if you received it), and have the others added to your party.

If you didn't get your reservation assignment, then ask. They will either have it in the system, or will add it then.

Don't assume anything. Check with your travel agent who can inquire of HAL what's going on. But don't wait until you're on-board or it may be too late.

I had already contacted HAL customer service directly and I talked to a very courteous agent, but the answer that I received was: "Well that is a great question, I am not 100% sure of the answer to that." He did give me another number to call, but I thought I would see if anyone here could help this HAL newbie out first. :)

I agree. Don't bet the cruise budget that HAL will assume you all want to dine together that night, and give you a table for four---let alone make a reservation for two people who have not paid in advance.

If you can't get it organized in advance, then go to the Pinnacle when you board. Bring your reservation (if you received it), and have the others added to your party.

If you didn't get your reservation assignment, then ask. They will either have it in the system, or will add it then.

From what I have seen of the terms, the reservation will be made for us and notification will be delivered to the stateroom the night before we are to dine. I had called HAL directly and asked them the same question and I was told that is was a great question and he wasn't sure of the answer. He gave me another 800 number to call and ask, but I thought maybe I could have the good folks here give me the answer. Thanks.

From what I have seen of the terms, the reservation will be made for us and notification will be delivered to the stateroom the night before we are to dine. I had called HAL directly and asked them the same question and I was told that is was a great question and he wasn't sure of the answer. He gave me another 800 number to call and ask, but I thought maybe I could have the good folks here give me the answer. Thanks.

Small word of advice. Check the reservation as soon as you are onboard and if the time is not one you like, head to the PG manager and see if it is possible to change it. It can happen but you need to move quickly IMO.

Even if you have to pay for two, it should still be a nice evening hopefully