New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Upsells, followed by upgrades, come shortly before the guarantee assignments are made.

Thanks for this information. Waiting for my guarantee assignment for the 8/16 Oosterdam Northbound Alaska sailing. Since it makes sense business-wise, it's what I was expecting.

My translation, I can't count on the current availability of cabins to be a predictor of what I'll get for my Guarantee (booked Neptune SC guarantee, but as of now, only SAs are available), since they're more likely to be doing upsells/upgrades into those SA's, freeing up the currently unavailable SBs and SCs...

I'm spending way too much time on HAL's website seeing if my assignment has come in, and what's currently available!!!

I'm spending way too much time on HAL's website seeing if my assignment has come in, and what's currently available!!!

Understandable :) Let us know when you get your assignment okay? :)

Edited by qsuzi

Give it about another week. The peak time frame for assignments seems to be about 10 days prior to sailing. More or less. Give or take. Plus or minus. (it isn't an exact science ;))

Ruth, is that a special beverage in your hands or a disguise for chocolate? :D

In my avatar? I had to go look it up, as I have avatars turned off, and I couldn't remember which picture I have there.

It's a box of chocolate truffles that were gifted to me on a cruise.

I am new to HAL and am sailing on Maasdam next week. Just wondering if there is any advantage to purchasing a beverage card for beer and wine?

Thanks in advance.

John

welcome to HAL. hope you enjoy your cruise.

The advantage to the beverage card is not having to keep track of all of those little slips and the charges on your bill ;). They can be ordered on line before the cruise (up to 3 days before I believe) or on board. One charge instead of many. They do give you an updated balance on it so you always know where you are and, if you have a credit balance on it at the end, it is refunded back to your on board account.

Is being at the pier 90 minutes prior to departure time, the latest time allowed for those who have completed online check-in and printed their boarding pass? How long will they hold the ship if you call the "late arrival phone number" to advise them of late arrival?

Is being at the pier 90 minutes prior to departure time, the latest time allowed for those who have completed online check-in and printed their boarding pass? How long will they hold the ship if you call the "late arrival phone number" to advise them of late arrival?

hold the ship? have you read the threads? possibly if there is a big HAL group coming that booked their air with HAL. otherwise, it's not nice to wave on the dock as she sails away.

Recommend flying in at least the day before. Why not start the vacation early.

It was a general question only and seeing the ship being held while watching sail aways was part of why I asked the question. It was asking for information only - I have seen conflicting information on documents.

Edited by qsuzi

It was a general question only and seeing the ship being held while watching sail aways was part of why I asked the question. It was asking for information only - I have seen conflicting information on documents.

as I said, if they have a large group with a HAL booking, then yes, IF they can, they will wait. It doesn't always happen, but they will if they can. For individuals, not. If it happens that the ship is delayed in leaving (as I am sure you have seen in sail a ways), then if it works of course they will try to accommodate. General answer to general question.

I don't know where the conflicting info is in the documents, sorry. I just know to be on time and, at least on time for the life boat drill. Late people (even those accommodated) impose on the rest of the people on the ship which is unfair and the reason we fly in early.

as I said, if they have a large group with a HAL booking, then yes, IF they can, they will wait. It doesn't always happen, but they will if they can. For individuals, not. If it happens that the ship is delayed in leaving (as I am sure you have seen in sail a ways), then if it works of course they will try to accommodate. General answer to general question.

I don't know where the conflicting info is in the documents, sorry. I just know to be on time and, at least on time for the life boat drill. Late people (even those accommodated) impose on the rest of the people on the ship which is unfair and the reason we fly in early.

Maybe someone else knows if it is 2 hours or 90 minutes prior to disembarkation. No worries if that part of the question goes unanswered. We do not have priority boarding so we will either be at the port about 11am or 1pm.

Maybe someone else knows if it is 2 hours or 90 minutes prior to disembarkation. No worries if that part of the question goes unanswered. We do not have priority boarding so we will either be at the port about 11am or 1pm.

I can't remember, unfortunately, but there was a thread a few weeks ago on this very topic. Have a little search around and you will likely find it. It was very recent.

I can't remember, unfortunately, but there was a thread a few weeks ago on this very topic. Have a little search around and you will likely find it. It was very recent.

Thanks Lizzie. I found lots of threads on earliest embarkation time and embarkation time. No worries.

This from HAL'S FAQ's:

"New U.S. government security regulations require us to submit certain guest information to law enforcement authorities at least 60 minutes prior to departure. To meet this requirement, we must have the necessary information in our records at least 90 minutes before departure. If we do not have your information by this deadline, you will be unable to sail. Guests are encouraged to complete the Online Check-in process before leaving home. Guests who wait to check in at the terminal risk being unable to sail even if they arrive at the terminal before the vessel leaves. You will be responsible for all costs you incur to join the vessel at the next port."

If you have not pre-registered you must check-in at least 90 minutes prior departure. If you have already checked-in on the HAL website, you can show up 30 minutes prior to departure time.

Very early in this thread there are mentions that on some HA ships on some itineraries there is a policy that allows you to stuff a laundry bag full and have it laundered for $20. Later this month we are cruising the Mediterranean on the Zuiderdam. Is it likely that such a policy would apply on this cruise?

Very early in this thread there are mentions that on some HA ships on some itineraries there is a policy that allows you to stuff a laundry bag full and have it laundered for $20. Later this month we are cruising the Mediterranean on the Zuiderdam. Is it likely that such a policy would apply on this cruise?

All the HAL ships have this policy. However the $20.00 is an old price. Currently the Laundry packages are determined by the length of the cruise.

I believe the starting price for a 7 day cruise is $29.00 IIRC. Prices go up from there.

Joanie

All the HAL ships have this policy. However the $20.00 is an old price. Currently the Laundry packages are determined by the length of the cruise.

I believe the starting price for a 7 day cruise is $29.00 IIRC. Prices go up from there.

Joanie

I believe that price is for the Med cruises. Otherwise still $20 per bag, nothing to do with the length of the cruise.

Joanie

WOW!! I don't remember the prices that high on the med.

It was about $5 max more than on regular cruises,

But at the very least, the OP is prepared.

Edited by kazu