New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

The first number of your cabin is the deck number.

That cabin balcony faces directly into the wind a it juts out from the other cabins aft of it. You will be facing 20 knot winds when the ship is moving so you will probably not be using it during that time.

If you need a handicapped cabin, my choice would be 4051 or 4054 which is somewhat shielded from the wind while the ship is moving, allowing you to have meals on the verandah while the ship is moving.

I've sailed in the first cabin that juts out on Carnival Legend. The balcony sounded like a hurricane--the noise was horrible!

More input please.

Does anyone else have an opinion about the wind in cabin VF5140 on Ms Westerdam for sailing the Panama canal March 2016. I've not experienced any trouble on two Mexican Rivera cruises I was on a midship balcony.

A breeze would feel nice if it's 85-90 F temperatures. But yes I'd enjoy eating there too and don't need 20 knot wind constant. Are winds stronger on the east side? Above South America?

I'd hate to spend the money on a deck I can't use.

It's very loud and no where near a breeze--more like a hurricane as just posted.

It's very loud and no where near a breeze--more like a hurricane as just posted.
Thank you, I have switched to room 5001. Still breezy but a nice view and room I need for myself and 2 others. The other cabins would not sleep three. Edited by GoneJohnson

I'll be sailing on the Zandaam this summer and I use a CPAP machine that requires distilled water. Does anyone know if distilled water is available on ship?

I used my CPAP machine on our Maasdam cruise in May. I purchased the distilled water beforehand and it was in my room when I arrived. The price was $4.00 but it was better than carrying it on board. I did need an extension cord and a power strip because the only plug was on the dresser.

Edited by EmeraldNC

Hi,

We'll be on a 24 day Mediterranean cruise next month and are wondering:

are the sauna/ steam rooms on the Nieuw Amsterdam free or are they only for people who've paid for the whole spa package.

Thanks

Sorry to be so naive, but should I ask my travel agent to arrange for the distilled water to be on board or get on touch directly with HAL?

I would have my TA do it for me. It's all part of their job.

I use a CPAP, and never bother with distilled water on the ship. I simply use water from the tap; it's pretty pure all by itself. So long as you wash the humidifier once in a while, there's no real harm done.

When I first starting posting on the HAL board the following regulars made this a welcoming, positive, and informative place. While there are some names that came later, this is a shout out and thank you for such a welcoming start to:

Krazy Kruisers

Sail7Seas

POA

Summersigh

PathfinderESS

Dave OKC

Crew News

Kazu

Thanks for guiding me, informing me, and humoring me. :D

P.S. Note to Susan: Use the HAL Dummies thread when appropriate, use the search feature more often,,learn how to use the list feature, and learn where to post thank you's.

Edited by qsuzi

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/Onboard_Gifts.pdf

Here is a link for Indulgences and Gifts.

Looks like getting 3 of the Activity photos(10X7) is $40.95.

I feel really thick about this. I've read this thread and can't tell if 3 means three different photos or three copies of the same. And if they are different, do they have a photographer wandering the ship taking candids you can then pick from? Or are they only doing this at the dinners? Also, do you get a chance to perk up after the boarding business before the embarkation photo is taken? Or do you get snapped looking red faced and droopy haired?

I feel really thick about this. I've read this thread and can't tell if 3 means three different photos or three copies of the same. And if they are different, do they have a photographer wandering the ship taking candids you can then pick from? Or are they only doing this at the dinners? Also, do you get a chance to perk up after the boarding business before the embarkation photo is taken? Or do you get snapped looking red faced and droopy haired?

three photos are different ones or copies if you so choose.

Yes, the photographer is wandering around and they take pics at the embarkation ports if you are so inclined to have pics taken. If you have a group, do it.

They also do the formal dinners.

the embarkation photo is taken when you board, so, if you haven't had a chance to "perk up", skip the photo or have it taken. If you don't like it, you don't have to get it.

I didn't see this package on our last cruise - our package was just under $140 for unlimited pics. That meant if you had friends, we could snap every pic up and give them to them.

I have cruised a lot and we don't normally buy a lot of pics but we did this time with the package. The captain's dinner did not include a free pic so we wanted that and then we wanted one for our roll call who was invited so it quickly added up and made sense.

It was quite fun actually. We haven't bought embarkation, ports pics in ages and we certainly got our money's worth :) '_

That's very helpful! Thanks! I'd like the pics because this is our first cruise together (I went 20 years ago when she was not even a twinkle and she went years ago with her dad). I think pics would be a fun memory keeper!

We have had numerous cruises and I can tell you this was fun. It was the spirit on the ship, the roll call, just everything.

If it were my first cruise together, I would definitely do it and not struggle on which one to get and get dinged the $20 for each one.

You don't have to decide on day one. You can pick up a couple and then change your mind when you see what the packages are on board.

and that gives you time to see how good the photographers and the pics are.

They will refund your other purchases.

Have fun and do save those memories however you like to do it best.

and have a great cruise :)

Room service is free but we always give a few dollars tip dhepending on what the steward delivers.. Obviously for a a full meal we give more.. BTW they are always prompt, or even a bit early so if you want to give them a few dollars, put it in your pocket as they deliver & rush out to do other deliveries..

Do staff expect cash tips in dollars?

We weren't going to take any cash on board with us but this has made me reconsider

Do staff expect cash tips in dollars?

We weren't going to take any cash on board with us but this has made me reconsider

If you wish to give some extra thanks by the way of tips, then $$ is the only way to do it. cash, that is.

The only other option is to increase the HSC but then it is divided among all.

Many of us do tip but it is NOT mandatory NOR expected. Your HSC technically covers everything.

If you purchased the drink in a public lounge, you can wander to your heart's content.

I wouldn't bring a drink I made in my cabin out to the public areas, however. Liquor purchased for in-cabin consumption is expected to be consumed there.

Thank you for that information.

Does anyone know if Summer Cup / Pimms is allowed on board? As it doesn't seem to be on sale in the bar

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that a beer? I'm guessing?

Unless it's wine, it's not allowed. only thing you can bring on is wine, sodas, water, etc. (non alcoholic other than wine). First wine is free after that is corkage.

Summer cups such as Pimms is what we Brits drink in the summer - you mix it with lemonade and slices of fruit and cucumber. But I guess as it has alcohol in we'd not be allowed (I hadn't considered the disadvantage of a limited bar before booking a cruise - won't be summer without Pimms!)

Summer cups such as Pimms is what we Brits drink in the summer - you mix it with lemonade and slices of fruit and cucumber. But I guess as it has alcohol in we'd not be allowed (I hadn't considered the disadvantage of a limited bar before booking a cruise - won't be summer without Pimms!)

There is lemonade and fruit on the ship if that helps at all. and you can bring lemonade on board in your carry on currently.

HAL has liquor you can order for the cabin. Wonder if anything would be close for you? Pardon my faux pas on lack of knowledge on the summer cups:o

Edited by kazu

I'm not sure how to add the summer cup into your pimms but the closest North American soda we have to your lemonade is sprite. If that's too sweet, use champagne... But your diy Pimms no. 1 would be one part gin, one part (sweet) vermouth and 1/2 part curaçao.

If you check the third page on CrewNews bar menu, you will see HAL has a Gin Cup. Maybe something that would work for you.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Bar-Menu1.pdf

Just wanted know if the difference between SS, SY & SZ signature suites is basically the location. Are they pretty well all the same size? Looking at booking one on the upper verandah deck 6 mid-ship. Would that be a good location or one on a higher deck? Also does the price increase if you go to higher deck?

Any feedback regarding signature suites on this ship would be appreciated as this is our first HAL experience.

Thanks.

Just wanted know if the difference between SS, SY & SZ signature suites is basically the location. Are they pretty well all the same size? Looking at booking one on the upper verandah deck 6 mid-ship. Would that be a good location or one on a higher deck? Also does the price increase if you go to higher deck?

Any feedback regarding signature suites on this ship would be appreciated as this is our first HAL experience.

Thanks.

You surmised correctly. The main difference is location. I have noticed that a couple of the SY's may be a smidge smaller (and I do mean smidge), but the size is about the same.

Are you going on a Vista ship? Sounds like it with deck 6. Deck 6 midship is what we book on them and to me, it is a great location.

The Signature Suites are the best buy on HAL (assuming you don't mind spending $) when you look at the size of the room, etc.