New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

I have a question about the muster drill. We board Thursday lunchtime but do not depart port until 11pm the following evening. When would the muster drill be held? On the Thursday or the next evening before we leave? Thanks for any replies.

When we did our overnight out of Venice, the muster drill was the day of boarding and there was a make up for those that hadn't boarded yet the next morning. It may vary by ship and itienerary though.

We have an overnight in Barcelona on Zuiderdam in June. We would really like to board the ship at midday, have some lunch and unpack if our cases arrive fairly quickly and then go into Barcelona for the afternoon and have dinner there.

Will it be OK for us to do the "catch up" muster drill the following day do you think? Is it likely to be later in the day, because I'm sure many pax will want to spend that day in Barcelona too.

We have an overnight in Barcelona on Zuiderdam in June. We would really like to board the ship at midday, have some lunch and unpack if our cases arrive fairly quickly and then go into Barcelona for the afternoon and have dinner there.

Will it be OK for us to do the "catch up" muster drill the following day do you think? Is it likely to be later in the day, because I'm sure many pax will want to spend that day in Barcelona too.

I am quite sure it will. There should be instructions when you board in the On Location. they might even wait until the next day. things change especially with requirements now. Just check your On Location (your daily guide) when you get on board. I'd spend the day in Barcelona too :) One of my favourite pre-cruise ports.

Thanks Kazu for your reply. I think it will be interesting to see how they manage it especially with such a late departure on the Friday.

On another note, a big Thank You to you and all of the other HAL posters who answer all of our newbie questions. It makes life and planning so much easier. Jen.

What is HSC?

Hotel Service Charge.

There's a charge of $11.50 or $12.00 per person, per day (depending on cabin category) added to your bill for every day of the cruise. This is goes into a pool from which the crew is allocated a gratuity.

I can't find anything on HAL's website about photography options for buying my formal pictures. What services and products do they offer on the ship?

You can buy pictures separately or you can buy a package.

I am really going by memory so don't hit me, but I think the "action pics" (the ones that are 4x6) are just under $20 and the portrait pics (the ones where you pose at the staircase, wherever and huge) are $40.

If it's a snap at the table then it's an "action pic".

I recall packages that were around $138 for all the 4 x 6's you wanted. If you are with a group this can be a decent deal as you can give pics to friends.

I think the formal pack was much higher (the portrait one) - maybe $269?

If you are going to buy say 4 pics, then you want to look at the package.

I know, I know, lots of people don't want pics, and often we don't but if you happen to be on a memorable sailing with a memorable roll call, then you just might. :)

The Princess line had RODI and I've been told that was good. I assume HAL would be too. I had used RODI water in mine on a 7 night and 10 night and had no problems with my BIPAP same as CPAP.

Edited by GoneJohnson

I can't find anything on HAL's website about photography options for buying my formal pictures. What services and products do they offer on the ship?

You can find a few photo packages if you look on the HAL site under your reservation. I think you will find them under "Indulgences". You can buy these packages before you sail, but I have no idea if the prices are different once you board.

Kazu, I am only sailing with my mom and she lives with me, so we only need to buy three pictures: one of me, one of her, and one of both of us. I don't know if I want the standard 4x6 or a bigger size. Buying pictures will be awesome.

I would buy them individually then. That's probably your best bet, especially if you get the 4 x 6.

Packages are only a good deal if you are going to pick up at least 6 pictures or have a lot of people in the pics and want copies for them. JMO.

I'll be sailing on the Zandaam this summer and I use a CPAP machine that requires distilled water. Does anyone know if distilled water is available on ship?

I have my TA contact the cruise line and request the amount I'll need specially for my cabin. Normally there. Other option is to buy what you need at embarking city and take on with you.

Anyone know?

I have not seen any indication that there is a limit to the number of bottles you order.

All though I'm guessing that if it looked like you were over-indulging they might stop your purchases.;)

Are you allowed to wonder around the ship with a cocktail in hand? Say you got a drink in the piano bar but wanted to go up to the Lido deck, or any open deck area, can you take your drink with you?

If you purchased the drink in a public lounge, you can wander to your heart's content.

I wouldn't bring a drink I made in my cabin out to the public areas, however. Liquor purchased for in-cabin consumption is expected to be consumed there.

If you purchased the drink in a public lounge, you can wander to your heart's content.

I wouldn't bring a drink I made in my cabin out to the public areas, however. Liquor purchased for in-cabin consumption is expected to be consumed there.

Thanks for the info. Wouldn't want to pull a faux pas on my first day ;)