New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Hi again, There are 4 of us boarding HAL in FLL.....we are told that transfers from the airport to the port are $19.00 per person.....should we pay for the transfers or find a shuttle or taxi instead? We will be arriving around noon for a 4 o'clock sailing....thoughts?

The airport in Fort Lauderdale is very close to the port--you will save a LOT

using a cab, aside from avoiding the boring wait for the bus to fill.

If your Carnival cruise in Feb is your first on a Carnival Corp. cruise line, you will be credited with being a "One Star Mariner" when you take your first cruise on Holland America. Sailing on HAL automatically enrolls you in their Mariner loyalty program.

Your husband will also be considered a "One Star Mariner" because he is sailing in a stateroom with you (all in the same stateroom have the same benefits as the highest Mariner Society occupant). His room card will also have a "One Star Mariner" star annotated on his room card.

The only advantage to being a "One Star Mariner" is that you and your husband will be permitted to attend the Mariner Society Embarkation Luncheon in the Main Dining Room. The waiter service in the opinion of many is that a sit-down lunch is preferable to the often chaos in the Lido Restaurant (buffet).

The Mariner Society loyalty program gives you credit for each day cruised (double if you are in a Neptune Suite category) and credit for one day for each increment of $300 in onboard spending plus HAL excursion spending. You can read more on the Holland America website.

As you increase in star rating, you get discounts on minibar, laundry, Specialty Restaurants, etc.

When did Carnival Corp change their policy? In the past you got NO credit for sailing on other Carnival brands, and you were enrolled in the appropriate frequent guest program AFTER your first cruise.

Edited by leonardofan

When did Carnival Corp change their policy? In the past you got NO credit for sailing on other Carnival brands, and you were enrolled in the appropriate frequent guest program AFTER your first cruise.

My guess would be in 2009. But the only advantage is being able to attend the Mariner Society Events (Embarkation Day Lunch) and the Mariner's Brunch near the end of the cruise.

Your stateroom card will have a single star indicating that you are a "One Star" Mariner before you board.

Edited by Crew News

Giving one * Mariner status based on cruising a sister line really doesn't get you much on HAL. It may get you in to the embarkation lunch in the dining room, and should get you an invitation to the Mariners' Brunch and the delft tile.

It does NOT give you credit for any days of sailing, which is what subsequent star levels are based on.

So, it makes you a 1* Mariner with zero days of credit.

First time cruising with HAL. So far I plan to book my specialty restaurants and excursions prior to the cruise. Is there anything else I should be booking ahead of time?

The shipboard cabana, if your ship has one and you're interested in having one.

First time cruising with HAL. So far I plan to book my specialty restaurants and excursions prior to the cruise. Is there anything else I should be booking ahead of time?

I would book spa treatments and wine packages in advance as well.

I would book spa treatments and wine packages in advance as well.

sorry to differ, but we NEVER book our wine packages early anymore. We used to years ago and learned the hard way.

What is listed on the website may not be available on all the ships and there may be alternatives. This could be good or bad.

It only takes a minute to order a wine package on board, so why not make sure there is something there you like so you can select the right one for you?

There is a spot to book on board or you can simply do it in the Main dining room. Easy Peasy and that way your waiter gets the credit to share :)

sorry to differ, but we NEVER book our wine packages early anymore. We used to years ago and learned the hard way.

What is listed on the website may not be available on all the ships and there may be alternatives. This could be good or bad.

It only takes a minute to order a wine package on board, so why not make sure there is something there you like so you can select the right one for you?

There is a spot to book on board or you can simply do it in the Main dining room. Easy Peasy and that way your waiter gets the credit to share :)

I agree. If cruisers want to have the expense covered in advance buy enough OBCs to cover the cost of the wine package. Once onboard you can see what is being offered, and then decide yes or no. If you decide against a wine package the OBCs can be used for some of the other expenses.

I agree. If cruisers want to have the expense covered in advance buy enough OBCs to cover the cost of the wine package. Once onboard you can see what is being offered, and then decide yes or no. If you decide against a wine package the OBCs can be used for some of the other expenses.

I had a look at the wine packages that are available for my cruise. Would there be more selection if you purchase onboard? It seems very limited.

I had a look at the wine packages that are available for my cruise. Would there be more selection if you purchase onboard? It seems very limited.

not necessarily more selection but different. Depending upon the type of wine you like will decide the package.

You may also elect to just do wine by the bottle if you like or bring your own on and pay corkage. We bring some on but find it easiest to the packages in the MDR. they have a red that DH really likes in the Admiral package and I like the whites in the Navigator. If they have a white that I like we compromise otherwise we may well order both packages if necessary.

We take longer cruises so it's no issue

Hi! This is my first post to this - or any- online forum. Have been on 8 cruises in the last 5 years - 4 each on Norwegian and Carnival. Am considering a cruise on HAL next spring. However it's 21 days and I would hate to discover after 5 days that I don't like the ship (the Westerndam) or the experiences on it. My main concern is if there is enough "quality" entertainment in the evenings. HAL website doesn't give that much info about what is available. How good are the production shows in the theaters? What about entertainment in other venues (like dueling pianos, or even a piano bar). Of lesser concern is dress code(s) in dining room (we like set time meals in main dining room - enjoy interaction with same wait staff over the course of the cruise). Any help/suggestions these or other important info I should know, would be great. Thanks!

Hi! This is my first post to this - or any- online forum. Have been on 8 cruises in the last 5 years - 4 each on Norwegian and Carnival. Am considering a cruise on HAL next spring. However it's 21 days and I would hate to discover after 5 days that I don't like the ship (the Westerndam) or the experiences on it. My main concern is if there is enough "quality" entertainment in the evenings. HAL website doesn't give that much info about what is available. How good are the production shows in the theaters? What about entertainment in other venues (like dueling pianos, or even a piano bar). Of lesser concern is dress code(s) in dining room (we like set time meals in main dining room - enjoy interaction with same wait staff over the course of the cruise). Any help/suggestions these or other important info I should know, would be great. Thanks!

We just got off the Westerdam on May 1st after 20 days and have booked her again next year for 33 days, so hopefully that tells you something about the ship :) Seriously, we found the crew very happy, the Pinnacle Grill good (specialty restaurant) and the meals quite edible.

There is indeed a piano bar on the Westerdam. There is also the Adagio (violin and piano) that play nightly.

We had the BB King Blues Band on our cruise and they had quite the following and were very popular.

As to shows in the Show Lounge, they may not be as "big" as what you are used to. HAL is not known for it's entertainment in the main show lounge. Some of it was quite decent though. The last time I was on NCL the shows were quite Las Vegas style (glitzy) sometimes. HAL's are not like that.

There is lots going on in the evening though and we usually found something to listen to or watch and never seemed to get bored.

We do fixed dining too and like to have the same waiters. Smart casual nights are very easy to dress for. Formal nights can be too. It can be as simple as a sports jacket & tie or a suit or even a tux for the men. Ladies are fine in a cocktail dress, nice pant suit or shiny top and pants or skirt. Some still wear long dresses so there is a good mix and I don't think anyone feels out of place.

Hope this helps a bit :)

I can back up what Kazu has told you (we were on the same repositioning Westerdam cruise). I loved the ship and the crew, and there was no lack of entertainment on that cruise. We tended to do the Piano Bar most nights - lots of fun - and HAL had some real class acts in the main showroom too.

We did late dining, and our servers were great. I did have a problem with lack of hot water in my cabin, but it got fixed eventually.

I don't know how the ship would compare with NCL or Carnival; you will find an older crowd for sure - because of the longer cruise. But we also had younger couples including from the UK and Australia, and several children onboard, who thoroughly enjoyed it. Happy Hour was in the Crows Nest and the Ocean bar at 4 - 5 pm. We made new friends on this cruise, too, quite apart from our roll call -probably because you get to know each other quite well over 20 days.

Does anyone know if Summer Cup / Pimms is allowed on board? As it doesn't seem to be on sale in the bar

Almost all bars will have Pimm's No1. Now here is the part to make sure of. When you order A Pimm's Cup most of the bartenders think you mean the Gin Cup that is on the menu. While the Gin Cup is not bad, it is exactly what I ordered. So I goto the bar directly to order the Pimm's and let them know I want a Pimm's not the Gin Cup and to let them know that I want a cucumber or any other fruit. Once I have an understanding established things get better. But some of the waiters for the Bars may not understand what I want then I let them know that FILL_IN_NAME knows the drink.

Almost all bars will have Pimm's No1. Now here is the part to make sure of. When you order A Pimm's Cup most of the bartenders think you mean the Gin Cup that is on the menu. While the Gin Cup is not bad, it is exactly what I ordered. So I goto the bar directly to order the Pimm's and let them know I want a Pimm's not the Gin Cup and to let them know that I want a cucumber or any other fruit. Once I have an understanding established things get better. But some of the waiters for the Bars may not understand what I want then I let them know that FILL_IN_NAME knows the drink.

I'm not familiar with these drinks, but as of this moment we will have the SBP and would love to try some different drinks.

Can you tell me what is in each of these or the differences?

Thanks so much.

I'm not familiar with these drinks, but as of this moment we will have the SBP and would love to try some different drinks.

Can you tell me what is in each of these or the differences?

Thanks so much.

Pimm's Cup is just Pimm's with lemon soda (seen Ginger Ale, Sprite, Sparkling Lemonade.) Garnish is what ever you want, but mainly cucumber and citrus wedge. I have also seen this with Lemon, Orange, Cherry, cucumber, pineapple. Served in a highball glass.

Gin Cup as served on HAL is Pims, Gin, and something else I forgot with a slice of cucumber floated on top in a margarita glass.

Both can be bought with the SBP. On my cruise last year I was in The Mix most of the time watching World Cup and drinking Pimm's Cup.

Pimm's Cup is just Pimm's with lemon soda (seen Ginger Ale, Sprite, Sparkling Lemonade.) Garnish is what ever you want, but mainly cucumber and citrus wedge. I have also seen this with Lemon, Orange, Cherry, cucumber, pineapple. Served in a highball glass.

Gin Cup as served on HAL is Pims, Gin, and something else I forgot with a slice of cucumber floated on top in a margarita glass.

Both can be bought with the SBP. On my cruise last year I was in The Mix most of the time watching World Cup and drinking Pimm's Cup.

Thank you, I will make a note to myself for the next cruise.

We will be on our second cruise in juli.

Three year ago we sailed on the norwegian epic.

Now we sail on the ms rotterdam.

We don't read a lot about the Rotterdam.

Who can give me some tips about the ship?

We have diner in the second seating on a table for 2.

Is it possible to eat on a table by the window?

We will be on our second cruise in juli.

Three year ago we sailed on the norwegian epic.

Now we sail on the ms rotterdam.

We don't read a lot about the Rotterdam.

Who can give me some tips about the ship?

We have diner in the second seating on a table for 2.

Is it possible to eat on a table by the window?

there are lots of tips on this thread. What are you looking for in the way of tips?

Great that you have a table for two. They are usually by the rail or at a window (sometimes). If you want to request a table for two by the window, you would be wise to ask your TA to put in a request or if you booked directly with HAL to contact them.

Embarkation Lunch Question

My SIL and nephew will be joining us as first time cruisers. Will they be able to come with us to the embarkation lunch?

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

In theory No but it's worth a try especially if the dining room is quiet.

A tip for HAL first timers. If you have a booking history with another line in the Carnival Group (e.g Cunard/ P&O etc) make sure that your TA advises HAL of that fact and they will give you immediate 1 star Mariner status on your first cruise which is sufficient for the embarkation lunch.

J.

Embarkation Lunch Question

My SIL and nephew will be joining us as first time cruisers. Will they be able to come with us to the embarkation lunch?

Many people have reported being allowed to bring their guests to the embarkation lunch. I would certainly go and show your key card and if asked to see theirs, just say they are with you.

Thank you. Should have mentioned that nephew is officially named on our booking (cheaper that way) and SIL is officially booked as single occupant, although they will be sharing a twin room.