New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Does anyone know if the TVs in the cabins (Neptune Suite on Oosterdam, in case it matters) have HDMI ports on them? We want to be able to hook up our laptop, and watch some movies we have stored there.

(13 days to go!!!)

Both of our aft cabins (Neptune Sui9tes) on the Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam had HDMI connections on the back of the TVs. I checked just in case someone would ever ask the question here on CC.

On a typical Alaskan cruise, what do the men and boy children wear to the dining rooms when it is not formal night? My 10 year old son mainly has jeans and nice long plaid shorts....What can he get away with? Thanks! :)

On a typical Alaskan cruise, what do the men and boy children wear to the dining rooms when it is not formal night? My 10 year old son mainly has jeans and nice long plaid shorts....What can he get away with? Thanks! :)

for non formal night your son will be fine in his jeans as long as they are not "distressed" . typically in the Main dining room, shorts are not permitted in the evening. You can, however, wear shorts to eat in the Lido.

Just have him put on his jeans or long pants and he will be fine ;)

$25 per bag in Europe in April, 2015.

thanks, glad to know I wasn't wrong. That is exactly the $5 more that I was referring to and saw on our last Med. Glad it hasn't gone up :)

Our upcoming HAL cruise includes the free Signature Beverage Package for the first two guests in the stateroom. I read in the terms that there is a 15 drink limit per day, is this limit per person or is the limit per stateroom?

Edited by UM-Fan

Our upcoming HAL cruise includes the free Signature Beverage Package for the first two guests in the stateroom. I read in the terms that there is a 15 drink limit per day, is this limit per person or is the limit per stateroom?

Limit is per person.;) Enjoy!:)

Do many people actually dress for formal nights? We had less than half the people we saw on my last(first) cruise in real formalwear either night. Most were in jeans and polos/sundresses and we felt kind of out of place in our gowns. I love to dress up since I wear a tactical uniform for work and don't get to look like a girl. I know people say to wear what you want and I certainly will, I'm just curious if HAL is better about getting that more glamorous feel for formal nights overall.

I've seen post after post here complaining about the dress codes and it's kinda sad to me. I know it makes packing take more time and creativity but where else do we get a chance to look like a million bucks and be pampered like that?

Does anyone happen to know how big the "fill a bag" laundry service bag is? My mother, after talking to someone who went on a recent HAL cruise, is telling me that it only fits the size of a single pair of jeans -- which makes me wonder if I'd be better off paying for the daily service ....

Does anyone happen to know how big the "fill a bag" laundry service bag is? My mother, after talking to someone who went on a recent HAL cruise, is telling me that it only fits the size of a single pair of jeans -- which makes me wonder if I'd be better off paying for the daily service ....

Single pair of jeans? Perhaps if they are an enormous pair, not rolled tight.

The bag is cloth, so will not tear when stuffed. It's about 12" x 18" (or so; I haven't measured it. maybe 15" x20"?), and holds a lot of laundry.

Roll the pieces tightly and tuck them into the far corners. That bag can end up weighing so much that it's hard to lift on the bed!

Single pair of jeans? Perhaps if they are an enormous pair, not rolled tight.

The bag is cloth, so will not tear when stuffed. It's about 12" x 18" (or so; I haven't measured it. maybe 15" x20"?), and holds a lot of laundry.

Roll the pieces tightly and tuck them into the far corners. That bag can end up weighing so much that it's hard to lift on the bed!

Great description and advice. Thanks Ruth.

I can assure you that the bag will fit much more than a single pair of jeans. Of course, if they are enormous and a very heavy denim, that might be different;). You would be amazed how much you can get into that bag.

Forgive me if this question has been answered, but sailing on my HAL cruise and have just read 34 pages of these tips and now can't recall what was said about mini fridges in inside cabins. Have sailed NCL and Celebrity previously and all ships had fridges. My husband has medications that require refrigeration. Thanks!

Forgive me if this question has been answered, but sailing on my HAL cruise and have just read 34 pages of these tips and now can't recall what was said about mini fridges in inside cabins. Have sailed NCL and Celebrity previously and all ships had fridges. My husband has medications that require refrigeration. Thanks!

Whether or not there is a fridge in the cabin depends on the ship.

The Prinsendam, Vista class, and Signature class ships have a fridge in every cabin.

The S- and R-class ships have a fridge in every cabin with a balcony. The inside and outside cabins on those ships can rent one for $2.00 per day.

There are two considerations here. The fridge is really a cooler, not a refrigerator with a compressor. It may not get cool enough for medicines.

If you need to rent a fridge, then there is a problem with finding a place to put it comfortably.

Am sailing on the Westerdam - I believe that's a Vista ship. So there will be a fridge in an inside cabin?

There will be a minibar and the Westerdam is a Vista ship.

The minibar is not as cold as a normal home refrigerator. Instead of 38-40 degrees for a refrigerator, it is more like 45-48 which is enough to keep a soda at a nice temp.

Edited by Crew News

We are booked on the Westerdam for Dec. in a category G Upper Promenade ocean view stateroom. Does anyone know where there are photos of this type room? I remember Joanie had a thread for this type inquiry but I haven't been able to locate it or any other. :confused:

We are booked on the Westerdam for Dec. in a category G Upper Promenade ocean view stateroom. Does anyone know where there are photos of this type room? I remember Joanie had a thread for this type inquiry but I haven't been able to locate it or any other. :confused:

Holland America shows pictures of each of the cabin types on its website.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Westerdam?WT.ac=pnav_Onboard_shipdetail_WE

Here's a link to the Upper Prom deck plan where you can see a virtual 360 view of a Cat G stateroom.

Upper Promenade Deck Plan - Westerdam

Large partial sea views

Edited by Host Walt

Holland America shows pictures of each of the cabin types on its website.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Westerdam?WT.ac=pnav_Onboard_shipdetail_WE

Here's a link to the Upper Prom deck plan where you can see a virtual 360 view of a Cat G stateroom.

Upper Promenade Deck Plan - Westerdam

Large partial sea views

Thank you Walt. I have looked at those sites, but was looking for an actual photo that would disclose the view from that category of partially obstructed. At one point Joanie had that type thread, but I see she no longer does.

Thank you Walt. I have looked at those sites, but was looking for an actual photo that would disclose the view from that category of partially obstructed. At one point Joanie had that type thread, but I see she no longer does.

Try a Google search for HAL cabin pictures. There are sites with pictures of what you want.