New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Being new to cruising can ask a question on the thread? Wasn't sure where to ask it. I have the Explore 4 package for my Alaskan cruise this summer. There is no way I'm going to drink the allowable number of drinks each day. I see on the MDR menu there is an after dinner drink in a souvenir glass. Does anyone have a picture of this glass. Is it worth getting this each evening and saving the glass as a souvenir?

Yes, these are priced to be included in your SBP, however, on our last cruise they did not have the special desert shooters every evening.

I'm sorry if this has been covered before but, how do tips work on Holland? I've done two RCI cruises and always pay the $12 tip per day up front and then tip "extra" as warranted. I am considering the "12 Day Celtic Adventure" on Ms. Zuiderdam in 2017. Thanks for any info!

I'm sorry if this has been covered before but, how do tips work on Holland?

Holland America adds $12.50 per person, per day to your account ($13.50 for suites) as a Hotel Service Charge to be distributed to cabin and table staff, as well as certain behind the scenes staff. A 15% service charge is added to bar bills for the same purpose.

The HSC can be increased, decreased, or removed entirely. The bar service charge cannot be adjusted.

You may give extra cash to staff for exceptional service, should you choose to. They are allowed to keep all that extra cash, so long as you have not removed or reduced the daily HSC.

Holland America adds $12.50 per person, per day to your account ($13.50 for suites) as a Hotel Service Charge to be distributed to cabin and table staff, as well as certain behind the scenes staff. A 15% service charge is added to bar bills for the same purpose.

The HSC can be increased, decreased, or removed entirely. The bar service charge cannot be adjusted.

You may give extra cash to staff for exceptional service, should you choose to. They are allowed to keep all that extra cash, so long as you have not removed or reduced the daily HSC.

Thank you RuthC!

WOW I agree with your analogy totally but a couple days ago I referred to those folks that deliver Room Service as "behind the scenes" staff and got crucified. I classify them as Lido Staff?

I have always been told that the HSC is broken down 40% Cabin Stewards, 40% Dining Room Stewards and the final 20% goes to the "behind the scenes" folks. i.e. Lido Cooks, Deck Hands, Laundry, Room Service Folks, etc.

The entire discussion centered around extra tips for Room Service, which we believe is warranted, JMO

Don't want to open a can but when I saw your comment I could not resist.

Thx

WOW I agree with your analogy totally but a couple days ago I referred to those folks that deliver Room Service as "behind the scenes" staff and got crucified. I classify them as Lido Staff?

I have always been told that the HSC is broken down 40% Cabin Stewards, 40% Dining Room Stewards and the final 20% goes to the "behind the scenes" folks. i.e. Lido Cooks, Deck Hands, Laundry, Room Service Folks, etc.

The entire discussion centered around extra tips for Room Service, which we believe is warranted, JMO

Don't want to open a can but when I saw your comment I could not resist.

Thx

I think most people tip the room service delivery. We usually have a tray in the mornings, at I always put the tip money in the card holder inside the door the night before, so I can grab it quickly before they scoot out.

My husband and I will be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam, in November 2013. We decided to save a bit by booking an inside cabin, and using the extra money for shore excursions, etc. We have sailed once on HAL waaaaay back in 1997 and once on Carnival a couple of years ago. We'll be celebtrating my 50th birthday. :-) So a couple of questions:

1) Are bathrobes provided in all cabins, or only those above a certain grade of stateroom? If they are provided, does anyone know if it is possible to request a larger size than the standard?

2) Regarding earning extra mariner days with on board purchases, if I purcase OBC ahead of time, are purchases made with that credit still counted toward this?

3) I saw mention earlier in this thread about Carnival stockholders getting some OBC. Is this still true?

Thanks for all your help. This thread is really great!

My husband and I will be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam, in November 2013. We decided to save a bit by booking an inside cabin, and using the extra money for shore excursions, etc. We have sailed once on HAL waaaaay back in 1997 and once on Carnival a couple of years ago. We'll be celebtrating my 50th birthday. :-) So a couple of questions:

1) Are bathrobes provided in all cabins, or only those above a certain grade of stateroom? If they are provided, does anyone know if it is possible to request a larger size than the standard?

2) Regarding earning extra mariner days with on board purchases, if I purcase OBC ahead of time, are purchases made with that credit still counted toward this?

3) I saw mention earlier in this thread about Carnival stockholders getting some OBC. Is this still true?

Thanks for all your help. This thread is really great!

Yes, to all three questions. I think you can get a larger bathrobe but am not sure. Just ask your cabin steward. Bathrobes are available in ALL cabins.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

The on board credit is available if you own 100 or more shares of Carnival Corporation stock. Details can be found here: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit.

I was advised by our travel agent that you need to provide proof about 90 days prior to the cruise.

In addition, if you pay for your cruise using an AMEX Platinum card, you can get additional shipboard credit and chocolate covered strawberries delivered to your stateroom. You either have to book via AMEX travel or through a participating travel agent. Fortunately, the guy that we use to book cruises participates.

I was advised by our travel agent that you need to provide proof about 90 days prior to the cruise.

That timing is more than generous, unless your TA wants a lot of time to be sure to send in the request. Holland America wants about 2 weeks, but can probably do everything that needs to be done in less time than that.

Don't let the 90 days quoted above keep you from making the purchase, and submitting the request, if you are sailing in less time than that.

Hi.

I am not new to cruising, though it has been a few years, and not new to solo travel. I am, however, new to HAL. I anticipate a stressful next 8 months at work, so looking to book a rest and rejuvenating cruise early December on Nieuw Amsterdam. HAL seems to fit my needs for the understated, smaller size and great service - but.... I love eating dinner in the MDR, but have read that it can lengthen to 2 hours for open dining. As much as I am a seasoned solo diner, I can't see myself enjoying a 2 hour stretched out ordeal every night. Have other solo diners found that they serve you faster than this?

Hi.

I am not new to cruising, though it has been a few years, and not new to solo travel. I am, however, new to HAL. I anticipate a stressful next 8 months at work, so looking to book a rest and rejuvenating cruise early December on Nieuw Amsterdam. HAL seems to fit my needs for the understated, smaller size and great service - but.... I love eating dinner in the MDR, but have read that it can lengthen to 2 hours for open dining. As much as I am a seasoned solo diner, I can't see myself enjoying a 2 hour stretched out ordeal every night. Have other solo diners found that they serve you faster than this?

The time it takes to enjoy dinner has a lot to do with the size of your table, first and foremost, and the congeniality of your tablemates.

If you choose to dine alone, then you should expect to be out in an hour, perhaps less, depending on the number of courses you have.

But if you are at a table for 8, and some people have several courses, and folks get chatty, well---that can last for 2 hours or maybe more!

Overall, I would say that if you are at a table with others, then plan on about an hour and a half (or so) on average.

Hi.

Totally agree with Ruth on this - it all depends on your table size. What you might want to do is to join the Roll Call for your cruise, chat with the other cruisers then see if you can put together a small group (4 - 6) and all dine together, at least on some nights. Other nights you might find 1 or 2 other folks and enjoy the specialty dining opportunities.

Totally agree with Ruth on this - it all depends on your table size. What you might want to do is to join the Roll Call for your cruise, chat with the other cruisers then see if you can put together a small group (4 - 6) and all dine together, at least on some nights. Other nights you might find 1 or 2 other folks and enjoy the specialty dining opportunities.

(I hope I have figured out how to reply properly to your kind replies)

Thanks Ruth and Dave.....to be honest, this is meant to be a rest and recoup trip, so there may not be a lot of desire for table mates - at least not every night....but that might change. I realize that the more guests, the longer it can take and I an good with that idea. It was if eating alone that I didn't want 2 hours.

I was watching some YouTube of Nieuw Amsterdam and one couple often were seated on their own and it was 2 hours on a regular basis, and on a formal night it was 3 hours to be completed. That being said, they seemed to complain about a lot of things on NA so maybe I should have taken it with a grain of salt. I don't think it was a good cruise = guest mesh.

I will lurk the roll call and sign up when exact date confirmed.

I am a big TripAdvisor fan and know the value of these travel sites. I have used the ship reviews on CC on and off for a long time, but not use the boards. I have found this particular 'for Dummies' thread to be a fount of information. Thanks for those who get us Newbies up and running (or sailing, as the case may be):)

(I hope I have figured out how to reply properly to your kind replies)

Thanks Ruth and Dave.....to be honest, this is meant to be a rest and recoup trip, so there may not be a lot of desire for table mates - at least not every night....but that might change. I realize that the more guests, the longer it can take and I an good with that idea. It was if eating alone that I didn't want 2 hours.

I was watching some YouTube of Nieuw Amsterdam and one couple often were seated on their own and it was 2 hours on a regular basis, and on a formal night it was 3 hours to be completed. That being said, they seemed to complain about a lot of things on NA so maybe I should have taken it with a grain of salt. I don't think it was a good cruise = guest mesh.

I will lurk the roll call and sign up when exact date confirmed.

I am a big TripAdvisor fan and know the value of these travel sites. I have used the ship reviews on CC on and off for a long time, but not use the boards. I have found this particular 'for Dummies' thread to be a fount of information. Thanks for those who get us Newbies up and running (or sailing, as the case may be):)

We sailed on the NA last fall and ate Open Seating with a table for 6 when the dining room opened at 5:30pm. Typically we would barely make the 8pm show when we did that. That led to us eating in the LIDO for dinner more than we had ever done on prior cruises. After that cruise we boarded the Eurodam for a week in the Caribbean, and the service was much faster. Then this winter on the Zaandam, we ate dinner frequently in the LIDO to conserve time to make the 8pm show. But we would still eat in the MDR as we like the social aspect of dining as well. We're sailing soon on the Christening Cruise of the Koningsdam and are looking forward to its dining experience and timing.

For a table for two, I think an hour or hour and 1/4 should be enough time unless you wanted to slow it down.

For a table for two, I think an hour or hour and 1/4 should be enough time unless you wanted to slow it down.

I agree for tables of two. On the first MDR cruise night, I make it clear to the early fixed-dining waiters that I want to be out within one hour and they have only failed once in several years. It also helps to let the Dining Room Manager and Assistants know how much you appreciate the swift service.

I agree for tables of two. On the first MDR cruise night, I make it clear to the early fixed-dining waiters that I want to be out within one hour and they have only failed once in several years. It also helps to let the Dining Room Manager and Assistants know how much you appreciate the swift service.

And I am just the opposite. I am a Gemini and sometimes (not usually) my evil twin comes out. I go to the MDR to relax, have a pre-dinner cocktail, chat, watch fellow cruisers around me and of course hear some of the strangest conversations around me which i will laugh at later on in the evening.

A nice dinner has a beginning and an end with several middle sections. And I will let my waiter know not to rush me and my table mates. If I am eating my soup/appetizer and suddenly the entree shows up, I will send it back to the kitchen. And if that same meal comes back cold, it goes back again!

Now if there is an event going on and I am in a hurry to eat dinner, I will go to the Lido Market.

And I am just the opposite. I am a Gemini and sometimes (not usually) my evil twin comes out. I go to the MDR to relax, have a pre-dinner cocktail, chat, watch fellow cruisers around me and of course hear some of the strangest conversations around me which i will laugh at later on in the evening.

A nice dinner has a beginning and an end with several middle sections. And I will let my waiter know not to rush me and my table mates. If I am eating my soup/appetizer and suddenly the entree shows up, I will send it back to the kitchen. And if that same meal comes back cold, it goes back again!

Now if there is an event going on and I am in a hurry to eat dinner, I will go to the Lido Market.

That's a very good way of looking at it. What we like about 2-tops is we can easily have friendly conversations with those around us, also at 2-tops, or if not in the mood, just have a quiet dinner. On our last two cruises we made friends and exchanged email addresses with people on other tables, and we stay in touch. So for us, it's the best of both worlds.

Every cruise line has its own standards, styles, techniques, idiosyncrasies, traditions and other characteristics that are unique. It has been suggested that we set up a sticky thread for folks who are new to Holland America but not necessarily new cruisers. Contributions by folks who have sailed on other lines as well as on HAL would be appreciated.

This thread is not intended to replace individual threads discussing specific issues. Rather it is intended to point out things that might be helpful to those who are cruising on Holland America for the first time.

My favorite user manuals for computers and associated software are the "Dummies" series, so that's the title I chose for this thread.

By the way, thus is not intended to replace the HAL Facts thread which has a different purpose.

Here's a thread on the First Time Cruisers board that may give you some ideas...but make sure your posts are specific to HAL. "I wish I knew before..."

There are only 18 members on the May 30 Eurodam Roll call. Is this ususal for HAL? I am used to higher numbers on NCL. ANYTHING HAL or travelers can do to get the word out? Thanks. It iis impacting attempts to share tours.

There are only 18 members on the May 30 Eurodam Roll call. Is this ususal for HAL? I am used to higher numbers on NCL. ANYTHING HAL or travelers can do to get the word out? Thanks. It iis impacting attempts to share tours.

The participation in roll calls varies for reasons that no one can identify. There really is no way to increase participation in a roll call except to wait as folks book the cruise and join the roll call thread.

I've seen little 4-day cruises with lsrge numbers of participants and roll calls as large as 100 pages and big 15 day tranaAtlantics with just 3 or 4 pages.

Generally speaking the size of a roll call is not a function of cruise lines but just the luck of the draw.

The participation in roll calls varies for reasons that no one can identify. There really is no way to increase participation in a roll call except to wait as folks book the cruise and join the roll call thread.

I've seen little 4-day cruises with lsrge numbers of participants and roll calls as large as 100 pages and big 15 day tranaAtlantics with just 3 or 4 pages.

Generally speaking the size of a roll call is not a function of cruise lines but just the luck of the draw.

Truthfully, I expected you to suggest it might be a function of computer literacy. And the average age of the cruisers. 🤔 Thanks. ⛴🛥️🛳

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that people generally dont know about cruise critic and roll calls. I never did until we booked our first cruise and I had time to trawl the net and I found cruise critic that way. If I hadnt been researching I would never have found it. Also a lot of people leave everything to their agents and never think there is anything beyond the brochure etc that they receive.

Just my opinion

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk