New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Thanks for the responses. Glad to hear honor is still a factor someplaces. ;)

So when we leave a tip in Pinnacle, the wait person must look us up to see if they can keep it or share I guess.

Not sure how it's handled in the Pinnacle, it may be totally different since it's a Specialty Restaurant, I think they pool their tips among the Pinnacle crew, we always tip the table steward and our wine steward when we eat there.

What is the difference between the lunch menu and dinner menu in the PG? We decided to try it this cruise - and may have to do it twice if there is substantial difference in menu.

Thanks to all of you veteran cruisers - you have helped so much as we prepare for this cruise.

There is a big difference between lunch and dinner offerings in the PG. I will see if I can find a post where KK has listed the menu offerings. Give me some time :)

We try to always do a lunch in the PG. It is so good, my DH (Mr. Frugal) requests that we spend the money for lunch :)

What is the difference between the lunch menu and dinner menu in the PG? We decided to try it this cruise - and may have to do it twice if there is substantial difference in menu.

Thanks to all of you veteran cruisers - you have helped so much as we prepare for this cruise.

Try http://www.rogerjett-photography.com

Edited by mllewis48

Thanks. I think the menus from PG lunch and dinner are the only thing missing from the photo site. Looking forward to seeing them.

Not sure which photo site you are watching but here are links for the menus that are on my site scanned in my last few days onboard:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/PG-Dinner.pdf

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Pinnacle-Grill16.pdf

Not sure which photo site you are watching but here are links for the menus that are on my site scanned in my last few days onboard:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/PG-Dinner.pdf

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Pinnacle-Grill16.pdf

Thank you again. Your photos of everything on the ship are so informative. Now I can't wait to try BOTH lunch and dinner at the PG! 11 days and counting....

I'm a Princess cruiser who is tying HAL for the first time. I'm very excited to try something new, but have lots of questions. I've been reading the HAL board for a couple of years, and have skimmed through this entire long thread. I've learned a lot but still have some questions. Forgive me if these things have been covered.

Embarkation day lunch: I understand that everyone can go to lunch in the MDR now. I have always done so on Princess, and it's one of the best menus all week. I've looked over the HAL menu and it doesn't seem all that exciting. Is it still worth it to go to the MDR for a relaxed, sit-down meal, rather than fighting the mess in the buffet on embarkation day? Anything on the menu particularly good?

Signature Beverage Package: We have the SBP as part of the Explore4 promotion. I noticed that there are after dinner drinks served in souvenir glasses on the dinner menus. Are these included with the SBP and do you still get the glass?

Appetizer portions of mains: On Princess, I sometimes order an appetizer portion of a main dish (fettuccine alfredo!) if I don't like any of the appetizers on the menu. I was looking over some HAL dinner menus and on one night, I don't like any of the appetizers, but there is a risotto as a vegetarian main dish that sounds delicious. Can I order a smaller portion of it as my appetizer?

Buffet: It seems that the buffet on HAL is very different than on Princess. I'm used to one small area, where you can look around at all that's available, then choose a little of this and a little of that, all on one big plate, or sometimes opt for a small bowl for soup, salad, fruit, etc. that can easily be carried on one end of the large plate. It looks like the HAL buffet is more spread out, in stations, where you have to wander around finding what you want. It also sounds like you have to go back and forth getting things from different areas, rather than just piling everything you want onto one plate. Is this really as hectic and inconvenient as it sounds? Can anyone who has been on both Princess and HAL give me tips on how to adapt?

Thanks in advance to all the helpful posters here!

I'm a Princess cruiser who is tying HAL for the first time. I'm very excited to try something new, but have lots of questions. I've been reading the HAL board for a couple of years, and have skimmed through this entire long thread. I've learned a lot but still have some questions. Forgive me if these things have been covered.

Embarkation day lunch: I understand that everyone can go to lunch in the MDR now. I have always done so on Princess, and it's one of the best menus all week. I've looked over the HAL menu and it doesn't seem all that exciting. Is it still worth it to go to the MDR for a relaxed, sit-down meal, rather than fighting the mess in the buffet on embarkation day? Anything on the menu particularly good?

Signature Beverage Package: We have the SBP as part of the Explore4 promotion. I noticed that there are after dinner drinks served in souvenir glasses on the dinner menus. Are these included with the SBP and do you still get the glass?

Appetizer portions of mains: On Princess, I sometimes order an appetizer portion of a main dish (fettuccine alfredo!) if I don't like any of the appetizers on the menu. I was looking over some HAL dinner menus and on one night, I don't like any of the appetizers, but there is a risotto as a vegetarian main dish that sounds delicious. Can I order a smaller portion of it as my appetizer?

Buffet: It seems that the buffet on HAL is very different than on Princess. I'm used to one small area, where you can look around at all that's available, then choose a little of this and a little of that, all on one big plate, or sometimes opt for a small bowl for soup, salad, fruit, etc. that can easily be carried on one end of the large plate. It looks like the HAL buffet is more spread out, in stations, where you have to wander around finding what you want. It also sounds like you have to go back and forth getting things from different areas, rather than just piling everything you want onto one plate. Is this really as hectic and inconvenient as it sounds? Can anyone who has been on both Princess and HAL give me tips on how to adapt?

Thanks in advance to all the helpful posters here!

The Embarkation lunch in the MDR does not excite me but it is all good and in a relaxed atmsphere. There are other choices like the Dive-In, Taco Bar.

SBP can include the glass if the total is less than $8.

You can order any size of everything on the menu as well as multiples of each category.

Here is the layout of the Lido Marketplace showing the two Entree stations,four salad stations, two Dessert Stations, and the Pasta Station. Indeed, appetizers are often separate from the Entree stations but not always.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/NA16-MN-04.pdf

Edited by Crew News

Thanks! I've perused nearly ever page of your site and it has been very helpful!

One more question that I thought of today. I know that in the past, all rooms had DVD players, but I've read that they are being replaced by interactive TV systems. Do you (or anyone else) know whether the Westerdam still has DVD players or the new system? We do like to chill with a movie occasionally, so I'm wondering if I should bring DVDs or not.

Thanks! I've perused nearly ever page of your site and it has been very helpful!

One more question that I thought of today. I know that in the past, all rooms had DVD players, but I've read that they are being replaced by interactive TV systems. Do you (or anyone else) know whether the Westerdam still has DVD players or the new system? We do like to chill with a movie occasionally, so I'm wondering if I should bring DVDs or not.

I can only address the Nieuw Amsterdam that does not have a DVD player and I cannot find any connections on the wall-mounted TVs.

What a great way to get a lot of information. We have cruised other lines, but never HAL. We will be doing a 24 day trip soon on Zuiderdam to the Baltics and British Isles and have a few questions we would love answered.

1. Are the pools heated?

2. We are doing the anytime dining, but do we need to make a daily reservation with a specified time still?

3. Can we get a table just for the two of us at anytime dining?

4. If we purchase the soda card where you pay $25 and get $50 worth is it only for fountain drinks or can I use it to buy a can of soda?

5. Is there a service fee attached to this price of the card or do I get charged with each soda purchased?

6. It sounds like I can purchase this card from a beverage person who sells them on day one of the cruise, but can I also purchase this at any bar, or as I check in and is it attached to my room key or a separate card?

7 We have been given some money toward a future cruise due to the price reduction after final payment. I was told that I will not see that in my mariner number until after I book the next trip. Is that correct?

Thanks so much for any response to these questions.

cruise fan 1

We are booked on Zuiderdam transatlantic April 2017 and I want to be sure that this ship has a walking promenade which circles the ship without stairs or interruptions. We enjoy that aspect of HAL so much. The deck plan appears to show a promenade which walks right around the upper floor of the main dining room, something I find rather odd. Anyone have some details for me? Thanks.

We are booked on Zuiderdam transatlantic April 2017 and I want to be sure that this ship has a walking promenade which circles the ship without stairs or interruptions. We enjoy that aspect of HAL so much. The deck plan appears to show a promenade which walks right around the upper floor of the main dining room, something I find rather odd. Anyone have some details for me? Thanks.

Deck 3 which is the same level as the DR Upper Level is the Promenade walk around.

Happy walking, I think 4 laps = 1 mile.

What a great way to get a lot of information. We have cruised other lines, but never HAL. We will be doing a 24 day trip soon on Zuiderdam to the Baltics and British Isles and have a few questions we would love answered.

1. Are the pools heated?

2. We are doing the anytime dining, but do we need to make a daily reservation with a specified time still?

3. Can we get a table just for the two of us at anytime dining?

4. If we purchase the soda card where you pay $25 and get $50 worth is it only for fountain drinks or can I use it to buy a can of soda?

5. Is there a service fee attached to this price of the card or do I get charged with each soda purchased?

6. It sounds like I can purchase this card from a beverage person who sells them on day one of the cruise, but can I also purchase this at any bar, or as I check in and is it attached to my room key or a separate card?

7 We have been given some money toward a future cruise due to the price reduction after final payment. I was told that I will not see that in my mariner number until after I book the next trip. Is that correct?

Thanks so much for any response to these questions.

cruise fan 1

Since you have sailed on other ships under the Carnival umbrella, you should have a mariner number even before boarding a HAL ship. You can call them and get a number after giving them your sailing history. You will only be 1* so not a lot of perks, but you still get the recognition of being part of the family.