New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

What Kazu said for all the rest, but I had a couple of experiences with this one last year.

* Does it benefit the crew if I purchase things like the SBC or a spa package on-board instead of in advance?

The first time I purchased the SBP onboard (Volendam, June 2014), the bartender I purchased from was very happy because they could earn time off (very valuable!) for selling this package.

On my next cruise I held off and purchased on the ship, thinking the person I purchased from would get time off or something else. Later when I asked a bartender, he said they didn't have such an incentive on that ship.

So it probably depends if that particular ship's beverage manager is running an incentive program for the bar staff at that particular time.

That being said...there was an issue purchasing it when I boarded one ship because the computers hadn't yet been reset for that sailing. Maasdam March 2015 I believe. Had same problem reserving shore excursions. It was a hassle. Therefore, I'll purchase the package in advance for my upcoming trip.

Also, I recently learned on here that there's no more SBC (Signature Beverage Card). Now you just give them your regular cabin key rather than a separate card like it used to be. Then they just make the adjustment to your account. So now it's SBP (Signature Beverage Package).

Hope my rambling helps!

Edited by cavecreekguy

We have had the same experience. Usually book with the PCC with a high degree of satisfaction. Had one very bad experience with a large travel agency.

Like anything else, listen and read everything you can before you sign.

Thanks for the reply. Am used to Celebrity where they do tend to offer discounts of 20-40% depending how busy reservations are. But of course their specialties are more expensive. Really looking forward to Pinnacle Grill and trying to decide how many time to visit over 14 nights!

Hi All;

We will be taking our first HAL cruise in August. Our booking entitles us to a free Pinnacle Grill dinner. It is my understanding that the date/time of the dinner will be decided by HAL, and there will be a notice with this information in our Stateroom when we board the ship.

Two questions re. Pinnacle:

Can the date time be changed? We have a number of excursions booked, and we will not be returning until late in the day on some of them.

Also, can we request a table for 2 or will that choice also be decided by HAL?

Looking forward to our first HAL cruise which will be on the Koningsdam. Past cruises mostly on Princess and Celebrity.

Any major difference between these three, or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanking you in advance!

Cambriah

You are correct that your Pinnacle reservation will be made for you. Of course you may see the Pinnacle Manager to see about changing the date/time if it is not to your liking. He will do everything possible to make whatever adjustments he can, but those may be limited by how many openings there are. Others will also have made reservations for themselves, as well as the included reservations booked.

If you like a later dining time, such as 8:30 or later, it will be easier to make adjustments.

Usually the Pinnacle doesn't even open until some time after normal sailing time. There should be time to clean up, change, and relax a bit before heading for that delicious meal.

Hi All;

We will be taking our first HAL cruise in August. Our booking entitles us to a free Pinnacle Grill dinner. It is my understanding that the date/time of the dinner will be decided by HAL, and there will be a notice with this information in our Stateroom when we board the ship.

Can the date time be changed? We have a number of excursions booked, and we will not be returning until late in the day on some of them.

Looking forward to our first HAL cruise which will be on the Koningsdam. Past cruises mostly on Princess and Celebrity.

Thanking you in advance!

Cambriah

The one time I had a meal in Pinnacle Grill included in my booking it was scheduled for the first night of the cruise. We wanted it on a different day and called the phone number for Pinnacle Grill reservations to change it. It wasn't a problem to change to the date and time we wanted. But as RuthC says, if the time you want is already fully booked, that could be a problem.

Hi All;

Thanking you in advance!

Cambriah

We just got off K, will write some more detailed thoughts in coming days but it was a similar ship to the celebrity cruise we went on. We had the same deal and changed our PG reservation as soon as we boarded. Table for 2 is no problem.

In the main dining room they try and get you to share but if you are happy to wait you can get table for 2 with no issues and we even got a window seat most nights.

Personally, pg was my least favourite of the specialty restaurants.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Are there any special "theme" nights that a new HAL cruiser should know about?

Not per se, but you should be aware of the so-called "gala" nights (2 per 7-day cruise) on which those who like to "dress up" are encouraged to do so.

Are there any special "theme" nights that a new HAL cruiser should know about?

It really depends upon the cruise, number of days and itinerary. Longer cruises seem to have more theme nights or lunches.

Nothing that you have to pack "special clothes" for but there can be tropical parties, Hawaiian parties, special Transatlantic celebrations, Crossing the Equator, Venetian Masque contest, Black & White Balls, etc. It all depends.

Edited by kazu

Every cruise line has its own standards, styles, techniques, idiosyncrasies, traditions and other characteristics that are unique. It has been suggested that we set up a sticky thread for folks who are new to Holland America but not necessarily new cruisers. Contributions by folks who have sailed on other lines as well as on HAL would be appreciated.

This thread is not intended to replace individual threads discussing specific issues. Rather it is intended to point out things that might be helpful to those who are cruising on Holland America for the first time.

My favorite user manuals for computers and associated software are the "Dummies" series, so that's the title I chose for this thread.

By the way, thus is not intended to replace the HAL Facts thread which has a different purpose.

Here's a thread on the First Time Cruisers board that may give you some ideas...but make sure your posts are specific to HAL. "I wish I knew before..."

Can't thank you enough! Great information, even though it'll be our second HA cruise. Leaving on the Oosterdam from Barcelona 9/4 for their 12-Day Mediterranean Rivieras cruise.

Hi everyone Lois and Ed from Skokie/Evanston, IL (Chicagoland), IL. We just booked our first HAL Cruise. Prior to this we have done a great many RCI Cruises (we are actually Diamond Plus), but were very disappointed in our last RCI cruise on the 15-day "The Brilliance of the Seas" from Harwich, UK to Boston, MA. They seem to be cutting corners trying to save money for the new big, BIG ships (i.e. "Harmony of the Seas:).

We booked the "Prinsendam" 56-day Miami to Miami going to the Mediterranean March 11th, 2017. This is a big jump; so what difference should we expect?

We had a lot of time on smaller ships i.e. "The Legend of the Seas" about 1,800 passengers and "Prinsendam" is about 800. There is a difference in size, but not as drastic as the "Harmony", "Allure", and/or the "Oasis."

We love the itinerary, but are a bit concerned about the difference in cruise companies and ships.

Prior to the Brilliance cruise we spent 50-days on the 180 day "Oceania World Cruise Insignia" (which we did enjoy a great deal). So we are no stranger to long cruises and upscale cruising.

Look forward to your replies!

Edited by NU/Fan
Qotation marks

We booked the "Prinsendam" 56-day Miami to Miami going to the Mediterranean March 11th, 2017. This is a big jump; so what difference should we expect?

Check your itinerary, as I doubt it is a Miami/Miami routing. I expect it would be Ft. Lauderdale/Ft. Lauderdale. Wouldn't want you to arrive at the wrong pier.

The Prinsendam is a beautiful old ship, with lovely appointments. She was built for Royal Viking, which was a luxury line, and she shows it. She was built for ocean cruising, and cuts through the water smoothly. Nice ride!

Because it's a smaller ship, the staff and crew get to know you, what you like and what you want, quickly. They were calling me by name the first morning, and knew my drink order the second evening!

Food and service tend to be better than the other Holland America ships, which is somewhat due to size, and somewhat due to the higher per diems charged for this ship.

NuFan - We are new HAL cruisers (two cruises and one booked), having been huge fans of Celebrity and then Oceania. One gets spoiled on Oceania as you well know. However, we found that the only plus for O would be the food, and we have not been disappointed with the food on HAL. Quite good. Service comparable. But what we have particularly enjoyed with HAL is their Neptune suite and the Neptune Lounge which goes with it. Don't need a butler with the wonderful services and amenities of this lounge. Not sure I'd go with lower categories simply because of that lounge. That's a long time to be on a ship so I understand how important a decision it is for you. Good luck!

NuFan - We are new HAL cruisers (two cruises and one booked), having been huge fans of Celebrity and then Oceania. One gets spoiled on Oceania as you well know. However, we found that the only plus for O would be the food, and we have not been disappointed with the food on HAL. Quite good. Service comparable. But what we have particularly enjoyed with HAL is their Neptune suite and the Neptune Lounge which goes with it. Don't need a butler with the wonderful services and amenities of this lounge. Not sure I'd go with lower categories simply because of that lounge. That's a long time to be on a ship so I understand how important a decision it is for you. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback. The lounge probably would not be that big of a deal for me. On this cruise the Neptune would be about $20,000, so I can and will live without. Unfortunately I had to quite drink. "I waiting for everyone to catch up."

Check your itinerary, as I doubt it is a Miami/Miami routing. I expect it would be Ft. Lauderdale/Ft. Lauderdale. Wouldn't want you to arrive at the wrong pier.

The Prinsendam is a beautiful old ship, with lovely appointments. She was built for Royal Viking, which was a luxury line, and she shows it. She was built for ocean cruising, and cuts through the water smoothly. Nice ride!

Because it's a smaller ship, the staff and crew get to know you, what you like and what you want, quickly. They were calling me by name the first morning, and knew my drink order the second evening!

Food and service tend to be better than the other Holland America ships, which is somewhat due to size, and somewhat due to the higher per diems charged for this ship.

Thanks for the feedback RuthC. Royal Star is no relationship to Royal Caribbean?

I know that it eight months away but your information is making us look more forward to it.

Thanks again!!

Yes you are correct it is FLL to FLL. I was booked on a Azamara cruise and it was Miami to Miami.

I stand corrected.

Royal Star is no relationship to Royal Caribbean?

There was a Royal Cruise Line, which is no longer in business. I never sailed them, but understand they were a lovely line. They had no relation to Royal Caribbean Cruise Line.

There was also a Royal Viking Line, which is also no longer in business. I did sail that line, which was a luxury line. The current Prinsendam was built for that line, and she still shows some of that luxury. That line, also, had no relation to Royal Caribbean. However, some of the people involved with Royal Viking are part of the new Viking Ocean Cruises.

Thanks for the feedback. The lounge probably would not be that big of a deal for me. On this cruise the Neptune would be about $20,000, so I can and will live without. Unfortunately I had to quite drink. "I waiting for everyone to catch up."

Oh, of course, on that long a cruise it would be so expensive. Most of our cruises are not much longer than 2 weeks. One of our favorite perks was being able to have breakfast in the Pinnacle every morning.

There was a Royal Cruise Line, which is no longer in business. I never sailed them, but understand they were a lovely line. They had no relation to Royal Caribbean Cruise Line.

There was also a Royal Viking Line, which is also no longer in business. I did sail that line, which was a luxury line. The current Prinsendam was built for that line, and she still shows some of that luxury. That line, also, had no relation to Royal Caribbean. However, some of the people involved with Royal Viking are part of the new Viking Ocean Cruises.

Thanks RuthC, I have no idea how or when I will need to have that knowledge, but I really enjoy that kind of information.

We only got into cruising in December, 2009 with our first cruise on "the Independence of the Seas."

It was the inaugural "Oasis of the Seas" cruise weekend. We came back to port the same day.

Needless to say we have done a lot since but have a lot of knowledge to catch up on.

Edited by NU/Fan
port for part