New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

How funny to be midway through the cruise and find yourself on the "other side" for the first time.

LOL! I know what you mean. I usually sail Princess, and their Lido has 2 sides too. Usually I'd make my way down to the buffet on the starboard side, since there was a smoking section on the port side that I didn't want to pass. The few times that it seemed crowded on that side and we went to the other side, I felt totally discombobulated, because everything seemed backwards. :p

Here is a picture of the Strawberry Pavlova served in the HAL Pinnacle Grill for really stressful days:Make sure you stop by the Chocolate Seduction on Deck 3 just forward of the Shops for a chocolate fix. There are only a few tables so you just might bypass it unless you are looking for it.

This is a great tip!! Are there any other tips/hints that you seasoned HALers have to offer? We are on the Eurodam in a month, our first HAL since 2004.

Edited by azcruise

What do the numbers by some posters mean? # of posts?

In the post banner, (top right) you'll see "posts:" followed by a number - that's the poster's number of posts. Above that is another number (#1475, for example) that's the number of that particular post. Click on that number and it will bring up only that one post.

Sailing to Alaska (HAL, 7 days) on the last run of the season and I'm at a loss for what to pack. Obviously layers are the key, but exactly how heavy should I pack? One of our excursions involves a glacier hike ("Rain- and windproof outerwear, boots, and gloves are provided," says the website), so I have to assume I'll need more than a pullover. I don't want to be hauling more luggage than necessary while my gf & I putter around Seattle for a few days leading up to the cruise, so packing advice would be appreciated!

Sailing to Alaska (HAL, 7 days) on the last run of the season and I'm at a loss for what to pack. Obviously layers are the key, but exactly how heavy should I pack? One of our excursions involves a glacier hike ("Rain- and windproof outerwear, boots, and gloves are provided," says the website), so I have to assume I'll need more than a pullover. I don't want to be hauling more luggage than necessary while my gf & I putter around Seattle for a few days leading up to the cruise, so packing advice would be appreciated!

Layers and a waterproof coat with zip-out lining. That said, of our 7 Alaska cruises the one latest in the season was also the warmest and sunniest.

I understand that once on board HAL you have laundry options, What are they? and any idea how much?

Thanks!

On the Prinsendam, S-class (2 ships), and R-class (4 ships) you can do self-service laundry. On the Prinsendam there is no charge; on the other 6 ships the washer is $2.00, and dryer is $1.00. The machines take quarters, available at the Front Desk. Detergent is supplied; bring your own dryer sheets.

On all of the ships you can send laundry out. You can pay by the piece (if you have to ask, you can't afford it), send as much as you can stuff in a bag for $20. (higher in Europe), or purchase unlimited.

Unlimited is $7. per day, times the number of days in your cruise. Europe itineraries can be higher at $9. per day.

Edited by RuthC

On the Prinsendam, S-class (2 ships), and R-class (4 ships) you can do self-service laundry. On the Prinsendam there is no charge; on the other 6 ships the washer is $2.00, and dryer is $1.00. The machines take quarters, available at the Front Desk. Detergent is supplied; bring your own dryer sheets.

On all of the ships you can send laundry out. You can pay by the piece (if you have to ask, you can't afford it), send as much as you can stuff in a bag for $20. (higher in Europe), or purchase unlimited.

Unlimited is $7. per day, times the number of days in your cruise. Europe itineraries can be higher at $9. per day.

Thanks Ruth!

I usually try to pay down our bill a couple times during the cruise so we don't have a large amount at the end. Does HAL allow you to do that as well?

Thanks!

I booked through a TA and made several payments before the cruise. No problem.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I usually try to pay down our bill a couple times during the cruise so we don't have a large amount at the end. Does HAL allow you to do that as well?

Thanks!

I booked through a TA and made several payments before the cruise. No problem.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Sherbet - if you are asking about making payments to your onboard account on the cruise,that can be done as well.

DW and I have booked our first HAL cruise on the Westerdam after several cruises on both Princes and Royal Caribbean (and a few on Carnival). Most of our cabins have had safes which operated digitally with a four-digit code for opening and closing; a few have had safes which required a card with a magnetic strip to open and close the safe. Can anyone advise which type of safe is used on the Westerdam? I've really found this thread very helpful in learning some of the policies on HAL. Thanks to all those experienced HAL cruisers who contribute!

DW and I have booked our first HAL cruise on the Westerdam after several cruises on both Princes and Royal Caribbean (and a few on Carnival). Most of our cabins have had safes which operated digitally with a four-digit code for opening and closing; a few have had safes which required a card with a magnetic strip to open and close the safe. Can anyone advise which type of safe is used on the Westerdam? I've really found this thread very helpful in learning some of the policies on HAL. Thanks to all those experienced HAL cruisers who contribute!

It's the safe that uses the 4 digit code on the Westerdam.

Another question. Will our room be open so we can drop off our carryon before we go to lunch?

Except for unusual circumstances, cabins are open when boarding begins.

You can drop off your things and head out, or unpack your carry-ons, go through all your paperwork, and generally check it out before you are overwhelmed with all those boarding day tasks.

Is there a game room or card room? We are going with a couple who loves bridge and card games.

I don't know which ship you are on, but my memory is that all HAL ships except the Prinsendam have a card room. I know the Prinsendam used to have one, but I can't picture one right now.

Do be aware, however, that some cruises have bridge players on board, and the card room(s) are booked by the group.

However, if you're just looking for a table some place so a few people can play, there's always some place to deal.

Except for unusual circumstances, cabins are open when boarding begins.

You can drop off your things and head out, or unpack your carry-ons, go through all your paperwork, and generally check it out before you are overwhelmed with all those boarding day tasks.

Ruth, what boarding day tasks will we have? This is our first HAL cruise so all info is welcome and appreciated. We will be in a Neptune suite if that makes a difference. :D

Edited by JimAOk1945

Ruth, what boarding day tasks will we have? This is our first HAL cruise so all info is welcome and appreciated. We will be in a Neptune suite if that makes a difference. :D

Of course, that will vary from person to person, but ....

We all need to unpack. I like to unpack my carry-ons as soon as I board, to get it out of the way, and make room on the bed for my suitcase.

Other things to do may include:

confirming my specialty restaurant reservations; possibly adding people or confirming that everyone in my party is on the same reservation. making additional reservations as desired.

making salon/spa reservations.

reviewing my shore excursion bookings with the staff, to ensure that they are something I am capable of doing. booking/canceling/changing them as necessary.

eating lunch!

if it's a new ship for me, tour around to find where things are, in relation to each other, and the best routes to get where I want to be.

unpack as soon as my suitcase is delivered.

I like to have everything done and out of the way before muster, so that as soon as muster is over I can relax and start the good times.

Of course, that will vary from person to person, but ....

We all need to unpack. I like to unpack my carry-ons as soon as I board, to get it out of the way, and make room on the bed for my suitcase.

Other things to do may include:

confirming my specialty restaurant reservations; possibly adding people or confirming that everyone in my party is on the same reservation. making additional reservations as desired.

making salon/spa reservations.

reviewing my shore excursion bookings with the staff, to ensure that they are something I am capable of doing. booking/canceling/changing them as necessary.

eating lunch!

if it's a new ship for me, tour around to find where things are, in relation to each other, and the best routes to get where I want to be.

unpack as soon as my suitcase is delivered.

I like to have everything done and out of the way before muster, so that as soon as muster is over I can relax and start the good times.

Well said you have just described our routine! Of course we do schedule our culinary class, can't forget the food!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk