New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

new to HAL we have a cruise for may 2017 ,one of our perks was a beverage card. Here is the question, can you have the card turn into OBC?? The reason I only drink water or Crystal light, I ask my TA about it she said it was up to HAL lines. It's a 7 day cruise with a limit of 15 drinks per up to 8 dollars each,

Not sure about the OBC, but you might be able to have it removed and reduce the fare

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You should ask your TA to give you a price for your cruise without the Explore4 promo. That should save you some money.

You should ask your TA to give you a price for your cruise without the Explore4 promo. That should save you some money.

Minfit said that a "beverage card" was being given. That's not at all the same as Explore 4.

How much Is it for the hydro pool for a week?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It really depends onwhat ship you are on.

The Vstas, Signatures & Pinnacle are more than the S & R ships but of course, they don't have the same amenities;)

Minfit said that a "beverage card" was being given. That's not at all the same as Explore 4.

You're right. And if it was a gift, it's probably easier to get the cash refund. As part of the Explore4 promo, not so much.

On the Prinsendam, S-class (2 ships), and R-class (4 ships) you can do self-service laundry. On the Prinsendam there is no charge; on the other 6 ships the washer is $2.00, and dryer is $1.00. The machines take quarters, available at the Front Desk. Detergent is supplied; bring your own dryer sheets.

On all of the ships you can send laundry out. You can pay by the piece (if you have to ask, you can't afford it), send as much as you can stuff in a bag for $20. (higher in Europe), or purchase unlimited.

Unlimited is $7. per day, times the number of days in your cruise. Europe itineraries can be higher at $9. per day.

Thanks for this excellent information, Ruth! How great that HAL supplies detergent. I was wary about having to pack my own.

This will be my first cruise with HAL...leaving on the 25th of September.

We will be in a suite.

Can anyone point me to the suite benefits/perks? I can't seem to find them listed on the HAL site.

Thanks for your time.

One approach would be to go to the deck plans (see link below), pick your ship, find a deck with your category suite and then click on "Room Amenities" for that type of suite.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlans.action?ship=ko

Edited by Fouremco

How much Is it for the hydro pool for a week?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Usually it is $199 (when booked on board) for 2 people for a 7 night cruise. We have booked the thermal suite package (hydro pool, thermal ceramic loungers, etc.) each year since 2011 and that has always been the price. Of course, that doesn't mean that will always be the price moving forward. Worth every penny!

Hello,

I’m new here. I’ll be going on my 2nd (1st on HAL) cruise in Jan. 2018. (Yeah, I know. I booked way early, but I wanted to make sure we got our 1st choice cabin!)

I read through all 68 pages of this thread and got most of my newbie questions answered, but I have one question, which I don’t think was covered here.

I understand you get refund on Beverage Cards if you don't use it all up. Is that the case for dining packages (Evenings in the Pinnacle Package and Signature Dining Package) as well? If I buy the package and end up not using it (or using only partially), will I get a refund?

Thank you!

Crunchii

Hello,

I’m new here. I’ll be going on my 2nd (1st on HAL) cruise in Jan. 2018. (Yeah, I know. I booked way early, but I wanted to make sure we got our 1st choice cabin!)

I read through all 68 pages of this thread and got most of my newbie questions answered, but I have one question, which I don’t think was covered here.

I understand you get refund on Beverage Cards if you don't use it all up. Is that the case for dining packages (Evenings in the Pinnacle Package and Signature Dining Package) as well? If I buy the package and end up not using it (or using only partially), will I get a refund?

Thank you!

Crunchii

I don't think so as to the specialty dining packages. If the times don't suit, you can see if you can change them.

If you have paid and cancel in enough time you do get refunded. I'm notsure how it will work with Explore4. I suspect it will not be though based on a Canaletto gift we got and could not get a time that suited. We cancelled and never got a refund. (But we didn't pay).

We did buy a Cellar Master package once and did not get refunded when we did not go to the wine tasting. I think with the packages, it is a given that you have paid for it and if you don't do it, it's forfeited. Just our experience, but we have not done the Beverage Signature package.

Edited by kazu

sailorgirl,

We'll be on Westerdam, going through Panama Canal. Wish we could go on cruises more often too, but unfortunately my husband doesn't like to travel and it wasn't easy convincing him to go on this trip!

Jacqui,

Thank you for answering my question! We'll be eating at Pinnacle Grill twice for sure. Once on our anniversary (which we'll reserve and pay ahead of time) and another for the Explorer 4 freebie. I thought we'd get the "Evenings in the Pinnacle Package" and eat there a couple more times if we like it. If not, just get refund. But since it sounds like there won't be any refund, I guess we'll just settle for those 2 times or pay regular price.

Crunchii

sailorgirl,

We'll be on Westerdam, going through Panama Canal. Wish we could go on cruises more often too, but unfortunately my husband doesn't like to travel and it wasn't easy convincing him to go on this trip!

Jacqui,

Thank you for answering my question! We'll be eating at Pinnacle Grill twice for sure. Once on our anniversary (which we'll reserve and pay ahead of time) and another for the Explorer 4 freebie. I thought we'd get the "Evenings in the Pinnacle Package" and eat there a couple more times if we like it. If not, just get refund. But since it sounds like there won't be any refund, I guess we'll just settle for those 2 times or pay regular price.

Crunchii

Crunchii,

The Evenings in the Pinnacle might be refundable. I haven't done that package. I can only go by the other packages we have done and they were not refundable if we didn't go.

If no one else answers, I would call shipboard services and ask if it is. If they say it is, ask them to email you confirmation to bring with you.

Or, email them with the question and you will get an email reply back ;). You could also ask if you can buy it onboard.

(Just go to contact us and choose email). They do answer quite quickly - usually around 48-72 hours.

The issue (for me) with the package is that your dates and times are done once you are onboard. If the Pinnacle happens to be fairly booked you may have difficulty getting your preferred time slots. Thus, the $6 savings ;)

The indidvidual Pinnacle Grill dinners that you book are refundable if you cancel in sufficient time. (I believe it is 24 hours notice).

The issue (for me) with the package is that your dates and times are done once you are onboard. If the Pinnacle happens to be fairly booked you may have difficulty getting your preferred time slots. Thus, the $6 savings ;)

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I wanted to make sure it's refundable...

Thanks again, Jacqui! I'll try emailing HAL.

Is there somewhere I can go to view my on board credit? I do not see an account or anything on the HAL website. This is my very first cruise, and I was supposed to have received OBC with Expedia.

Thanks! This forum has been a wealth of information!!

Is there somewhere I can go to view my on board credit? I do not see an account or anything on the HAL website.

It should be listed on your confirmation. You won't see any on-board credit on the HAL website unless you booked via HAL.

Once on board the ship, when things settle down at the Front Desk, go and ask them to confirm your on-board credit. You can ask for a printout, if you like. I have found that if the Front Desk is reporting the amount correctly, I don't need a printout, but you may feel more comfortable getting one.

If the Front Desk isn't reporting the amount correctly, show them your copy of the confirmation, and have them get to the bottom of the problem (and solve it).

Does anyone have Global Entry and used it during disembarkation? How'd it go?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are in the process of getting GE and Port Everglades is the only cruise port mentioned that offers GE at disembarkation. Will try it in December. Our last cruise in December 2015 had a GE manned station and our porter took us to it but we did not have GE, he got chewed out by the agent but let us go through, very quick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mllewis48

We are going on the January 14th Eurodam Western Caribbean itinerary. I am assuming we can count on the MDR being closed in Half Moon Key? I can't recall from our last cruise there. I know it is typically closed all port days (or at least most port days). Thanks!

We are going on the January 14th Eurodam Western Caribbean itinerary. I am assuming we can count on the MDR being closed in Half Moon Key? I can't recall from our last cruise there. I know it is typically closed all port days (or at least most port days). Thanks!

Closed for lunch is our experience whenever in HMC.

We are about to Cruise with HAL for the first time on the Koningsdam (Sep 30th). My question is , whats the best method to use for online credit on board. If we do cash, then i have to get $$, so charges are incurred there, but i've heard people experience holds on their account limits after using a debit card for a while after returning home and that would be a concern Pros and cons please . :)

We are about to Cruise with HAL for the first time on the Koningsdam (Sep 30th). My question is , whats the best method to use for online credit on board. If we do cash, then i have to get $$, so charges are incurred there, but i've heard people experience holds on their account limits after using a debit card for a while after returning home and that would be a concern Pros and cons please . :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to the HAL board.

We use our credit card and find that works well.

If you use your debit card, yes, they will place a hold on it which could cramp your ability to use your account.

What some people do that want to pay cash is use their credit card when they register on line (on line check in), then take the cash and at check in for the ship, say they will pay by cash rather than credit card. And, give a substantial deposit.

The other thing you can do is use the credit card, but put cash payments on your on board account (get a receipt) so there is very little left owing on your credit card at the end of the cruise.

Hope this makes sense and is of some help.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to the HAL board.

We use our credit card and find that works well.

If you use your debit card, yes, they will place a hold on it which could cramp your ability to use your account.

What some people do that want to pay cash is use their credit card when they register on line (on line check in), then take the cash and at check in for the ship, say they will pay by cash rather than credit card. And, give a substantial deposit.

The other thing you can do is use the credit card, but put cash payments on your on board account (get a receipt) so there is very little left owing on your credit card at the end of the cruise.

Hope this makes sense and is of some help.

Thank you . That's very helpful.

Hi everyone! I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. What does Holland America call the 5:45 and 8:00 dining times? On most ships I've been on, the 8pm is the late seating. My mom requested late seating for our Holland America cruise in October, but we are listed at Main Seating. Is 5:45 early and 8:00 main on Holland America? Or is 5:45 main and 8:00 late?

Also, what happens when we are in port late and we possibly miss our dining time? Is everyone converted to open seating on those nights? We don't leave Rome until 9pm on our cruise and we have an 11 hour excursion, thus my concern.

Thanks so much!

Emily