New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

We are considering booking HAL for the first time and have some questions about when and how to book. My TA is traveling, so I can't ask him right now.

Does HAL offer a veteran's discount or OBC?

If there is a price drop or added benefit after we book, can we get it?If the price drops before final payment, then yes, you can get the price drop. If HAL adds other benefits (ie., Explore4) it usually results in a different price and assuming you like the deal your booking can be change or re-booked.

Can I use Princess Future Cruise Credits on HAL? not that I know of

What are the benefits and restrictions of HAL Future Cruise Credits?

(We don't have any, but could possibly take a short cruise to acquire some before booking the long one we're considering)A lesser deposit and some OBC on your cruise.

We qualify for shareholder OBC. Are there other ways to get discounts, OBC, or other benefits? Usually, some TA's offer either OBC or discounts.

Is it better to book a long cruise as a whole, or B2B if that's available?Usually it's best to book the "long" cruise (also sometimes known as a Collectors' Cruise). While a B2B would let you use your CCL stock OBC twice, the price is usually better on the "long" cruise versus the B2B.Always worth checking though ;)

tried to answer some of your questions above in red. Hopefully others will chime in.

For the seasoned Holland America travelers, this is my first time on Holland America. We will be sailing on the Eurodam in Mar 2017. The difference between a SY (signature suite) cabin and SA (neptune suite) cabin is $1000 (there are 2 of us). Are the perks on the SA worth the difference? We are not heavy drinkers.

How about the advantage between a veranda cabin (Va, Vb, Vc) and a signature suite(SY, SZ)?

Is there a drink package that includes virgin coladas? THank You. I have learned so much on this thread. I'm working backwards and have 36 pages to go!

Hello, we are new to HAL and cruises period and leaving next week on the Eurodam. We are traveling with our two small children and my question is about available snacks: being typical preschoolers they like to graze on snacks during the day (granola bars, crackers, cheese,fruit, etc). Will there be a place for me to grab things for them easily, or should I pack things in my luggage? Are we allowed to bring food on board?

Thanks in advance for your replies

For the seasoned Holland America travelers, this is my first time on Holland America. We will be sailing on the Eurodam in Mar 2017. The difference between a SY (signature suite) cabin and SA (neptune suite) cabin is $1000 (there are 2 of us). Are the perks on the SA worth the difference? We are not heavy drinkers.

How about the advantage between a veranda cabin (Va, Vb, Vc) and a signature suite(SY, SZ)?

Is there a drink package that includes virgin coladas? THank You. I have learned so much on this thread. I'm working backwards and have 36 pages to go!

Difference between the SY and SA cabin is size as well as perks. Drinkis are not part of the perks. The SA cabin is larger than the SY. It also includes a bunch of perks like the Neptune Lounge (with concierges who take care of just about everything for you - no going to the front desk) with the snacks, coffee/tea machine, etc. Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill is another Neptune Suite perk that a lot of people like. Take a look at the perks listed and see if they appeal. If they don't entice, the SY cabin is a very nice size.

The advantage of the signature suite versus the veranda is size. The signature suite is much larger than the veranda as is the veranda. It's a very comfortable cabin IMO.

You can buy a beverage card for your virgin coladas if you are so inclined (to avoid a bunch of receipts). There is a cola package but I can't recall a virgin mocktail package. Do periodically check the HAL site for on board indulgences though as things can change in that area.

Hello, we are new to HAL and cruises period and leaving next week on the Eurodam. We are traveling with our two small children and my question is about available snacks: being typical preschoolers they like to graze on snacks during the day (granola bars, crackers, cheese,fruit, etc). Will there be a place for me to grab things for them easily, or should I pack things in my luggage? Are we allowed to bring food on board?

Thanks in advance for your replies

First of all, you can bring food on board no problem. (You just can't take it off the ship). Unless your children have a preference for certain snacks, you shouldn't need to bring it. There are granola bars at breakfast in the Lido, I believe and I would take a few to the room. At lunch, there are always crackers, cheese plates and fruit. These stay out until mid afternoon and you can certainly grab some of those as well for the room.

The Room Service menu usually has cheese and crackers on it as well so you can always do a room service order.

Don't forget to check out Club HAL for the children on board (depending on their ages). Young ones really enjoy it.

Difference between the SY and SA cabin is size as well as perks. Drinkis are not part of the perks. The SA cabin is larger than the SY. It also includes a bunch of perks like the Neptune Lounge (with concierges who take care of just about everything for you - no going to the front desk) with the snacks, coffee/tea machine, etc. Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill is another Neptune Suite perk that a lot of people like. Take a look at the perks listed and see if they appeal. If they don't entice, the SY cabin is a very nice size.

The advantage of the signature suite versus the veranda is size. The signature suite is much larger than the veranda as is the veranda. It's a very comfortable cabin IMO.

You can buy a beverage card for your virgin coladas if you are so inclined (to avoid a bunch of receipts). There is a cola package but I can't recall a virgin mocktail package. Do periodically check the HAL site for on board indulgences though as things can change in that area.

So it's mostly the cabin size that is the difference (besides the perks on an SA cabin). Many thanks for your detailed response. I know i will have more questions as the cruise date gets closer.

So it's mostly the cabin size that is the difference (besides the perks on an SA cabin). Many thanks for your detailed response. I know i will have more questions as the cruise date gets closer.

Yes, size & double sinks & separate shower in the Signature and Neptune Suites in that class of ship.

Hi All,

First off, I just want to say a massive thank you to all that have shared information and tips on travelling with HA. I've spent the last few weeks reading through all 70+pages; and it's been a wonderful insight.

The in-laws are seasoned cruisers, but we are newbies and are heading off to the South Pacific for the Xmas/NY cruise (on the Noordam??). I was hoping for some further information regarding CLUB HAL for my 2 girls aged 5 & 9.

Would love it if someone could answer the following questions for me please:

1. Is there are charge?

2. What do they do there?

3. Would the girls be separated into different age groups?

4. Does it only operate at certain times of the day?

5. What happens if they get hungry or thirsty whilst in the 'Club'? Do we need to 'pack' food or drink for them?

6. How do they contact the parents, if needed, whilst the kids are in attendance?

7. Side question: is it worth us packing other 'activities' for them to do at times when they are not in Club HAL ie colouring, board/card games, DVDs

Many thanks (in advance)

Me again......:o

I have a few other (general) questions for the brainstrust about our upcoming Xmas/NY Cruise.....

Is everything charged onboard as US$ or $AUD?

Is the 15% service tax charged on top of purchases, or is it included in the price?

Are kids charged at the same price as adults when dining in the speciality restaurants?

Ditto for shore excursions?

Is there a Hairdresser onboard? Does anyone know what they would charge for an up-do?

Are there other beauty services available on board other than the spa? ie for makeup, nails and waxing? Does anyone have information on pricing?

What country are the power outlets? Do we need to bring adaptors?

There are 7 of us in our party (5a2k), would it be worth a couple of us purchasing the SBP for our drinks? We are not heavy drinkers (although I might be by the end of the cruise - 1st holiday with the Mother In-law:eek:)

My kids will probably go through several bottles of water each a day. What would be the best way to purchase these? On a beverage package or individually?

Many thanks (again).:)

Hi All,

First off, I just want to say a massive thank you to all that have shared information and tips on travelling with HA. I've spent the last few weeks reading through all 70+pages; and it's been a wonderful insight.

The in-laws are seasoned cruisers, but we are newbies and are heading off to the South Pacific for the Xmas/NY cruise (on the Noordam??). I was hoping for some further information regarding CLUB HAL for my 2 girls aged 5 & 9.

Would love it if someone could answer the following questions for me please:

1. Is there are charge?

2. What do they do there?

3. Would the girls be separated into different age groups?

4. Does it only operate at certain times of the day?

5. What happens if they get hungry or thirsty whilst in the 'Club'? Do we need to 'pack' food or drink for them?

6. How do they contact the parents, if needed, whilst the kids are in attendance?

7. Side question: is it worth us packing other 'activities' for them to do at times when they are not in Club HAL ie colouring, board/card games, DVDs

Many thanks (in advance)

Welcome to HAL.

I can answer only some of your questions.

There is no charge unless you leave kids after 10:00 PM. The Club closes at meal times. Lunch is served on port days but the Club closes during meal hours while at sea so kids can eat with their parents. Many questions can be answered by the Club HAL staff when you register the kids on Embarkation Day.

Here is a link to my scanned HAL Club activities to give you an idea of what things are happening for kids.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/holland-america-lines-kids-activities-examples/

After reading many posts on this Forum and talking with other parents, most kids will be thrilled with Club HAL from opening to close every day.

Me again......:o

I have a few other (general) questions for the brainstrust about our upcoming Xmas/NY Cruise.....

Is everything charged onboard as US$ or $AUD?

Is the 15% service tax charged on top of purchases, or is it included in the price?

Are kids charged at the same price as adults when dining in the speciality restaurants?

Ditto for shore excursions?

Is there a Hairdresser onboard? Does anyone know what they would charge for an up-do?

Are there other beauty services available on board other than the spa? ie for makeup, nails and waxing? Does anyone have information on pricing?

What country are the power outlets? Do we need to bring adaptors?

There are 7 of us in our party (5a2k), would it be worth a couple of us purchasing the SBP for our drinks? We are not heavy drinkers (although I might be by the end of the cruise - 1st holiday with the Mother In-law:eek:)

My kids will probably go through several bottles of water each a day. What would be the best way to purchase these? On a beverage package or individually?

Many thanks (again).:)

Here are some of the answers to your questions.

Prices are in $US.

• Only beverages are charged the 15% surcharge. Of course coffee, tea, milk, breakfast juice, and non-bottled water are free.

• The water from the tap is excellent and you can refill bottles/containers to keep in your minibar to keep them chilled.

• The SPA has hairdressers but I don't know the prices.

• Power outlets are US and European (small round pins) so a few adapters would be appropriate.
  • SBP is for more than casual drinkers and cannot be shared.
  • You can bring your own soda and water on board with no surcharge.
  • There is no advantage to buying a beverage package for sodas except fewer printed receipts. Bring your own sodas and keep them in your minibar.

Here is a copy of my photo review of the Noordam to give you an idea of what to expect while on board:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-noordam-on-board-images/

Feel free to ask questions as CC is a friendly place to get answers.

Okay I have bought all of the recommended sea sickness 'stuff' but my question is this: How many passengers really need something to prevent sea sickness? Having never been on a cruise before I have no idea if I need it or not. I was raised on a lake, but don't think that is the same situation. I would rather not take anything, but I also don't want to spend my time on the ship being sick.:confused:

Okay I have bought all of the recommended sea sickness 'stuff' but my question is this: How many passengers really need something to prevent sea sickness? Having never been on a cruise before I have no idea if I need it or not. I was raised on a lake, but don't think that is the same situation. I would rather not take anything, but I also don't want to spend my time on the ship being sick.:confused:

Other than wearing sea bands once back in 1987, I've never needed anything. it really depends upon whether certain types of motion bother you on the cruise.

DH is a tad susceptible and takes ginger pills with him and buys the stuff HAL sells in the store that you put behind your ear (natural - no drugs). He only uses it if he needs it. Good to be prepared but great if you don't need it ;)

Okay I have bought all of the recommended sea sickness 'stuff' but my question is this: How many passengers really need something to prevent sea sickness? Having never been on a cruise before I have no idea if I need it or not.

Why not take a pill a couple of hours before sailing, then another at bedtime, and see how you feel in the morning? If you feel fine, then try the day without anything.

Or, if you have the wristbands, use those before sailing and all night, and see in the morning.

It's awful to need something and not have it in your system. Too late then.

I needed Bonine on my first cruise (desperately needed it!), and a few cruises thereafter, but only early in the cruises. Eventually I developed a decent set of sea legs, and have not needed anything in ages. You do learn how to ride the waves.

I agree with Ruth, the Bonine works great if you need it and it's always good to have something with you, just in case/ It also does not cause drowsiness. I've only gotten sick on our first cruise and have been fine on the following 30 or so. Have a great time.

I am susceptible to motion sickness and have been so since I was a child. Even so, I can usually get by without medication on large cruise ships and in calm waters. For small ships of 30,277 tons or less, I watch the wave/swell predictions and take dimenhydrinate at least 30 minutes before sailing into rough water. For me, that would be waves over two meters or swells that hit the ship broadside. If I take the smallest effective dose, it doesn't cause drowsiness. I've tried seabands, ginger, and the patch. None of those worked. I don't recommend taking seasickness meds unless you're pretty sure you're going to need them.

Edited by islandwoman

We disembark from the Zaandam at Valparaisa/Santiago on 31 January 2017.

Does the ship offer early transfer to the airport in Santiago as I have a 12:45pm flight to Buenos Aires? How do I pre-book this? If there is no transfers available I would like to pre book a private transfer before I embark.

We disembark from the Zaandam at Valparaisa/Santiago on 31 January 2017.

Does the ship offer early transfer to the airport in Santiago as I have a 12:45pm flight to Buenos Aires? How do I pre-book this? If there is no transfers available I would like to pre book a private transfer before I embark.

A 12:45 pm flight? If it were me I would either change my flight time or I would arrange a private transfer. You will get there a lot faster IMO.

The ship will offer a transfer to the airport, but it will be a set time and remember, that means you are going to be waiting for everyone to get accounted for, their luggage and all of them to get loaded. That takes a bit of time.

Usually you see the transfers when you are on board, but you could try calling shore excursions and see if they are aware of what time the transfers are expected to be.

If you arrange a private transfer you can either be the first off if you can manage self disembarkation and handle your own luggage or you can be in the first group off after the self disembarkation group is off.

Hope this helps a bit.

A 12:45 pm flight? If it were me I would either change my flight time or I would arrange a private transfer. You will get there a lot faster IMO.

The ship will offer a transfer to the airport, but it will be a set time and remember, that means you are going to be waiting for everyone to get accounted for, their luggage and all of them to get loaded. That takes a bit of time.

Usually you see the transfers when you are on board, but you could try calling shore excursions and see if they are aware of what time the transfers are expected to be.

If you arrange a private transfer you can either be the first off if you can manage self disembarkation and handle your own luggage or you can be in the first group off after the self disembarkation group is off.

Hope this helps a bit.

The above is excellent advice for Valparaiso. We used a private car to go the other direction in February and it was worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

First off - I have read every page on this thread and have learned a lot. Thank you to everyone that has shared their insights.

Two questions:

1/ I am sailing on the Koningsdam, VB11010. Does anyone know if the walls/ceiling are magnetic? We are hoping to be able to hang up a curtain as a room divider. Any advice on how to accomplish this would be appreciated. Or tips on what not to do!

2/ any thoughts on potential issues with the cabin that I should be aware of and try to plan for (eg wind, sea sickness)?

Thanks in advance.

Anne

Regarding seasickness...

If you're prone to any type of motion sickness, you may have issues. If you aren't, I'd still take along something to have on hand.

I've suffered from motion sickness my entire life. I loved cruising from the beginning but didn't like the constant queasy feeling (never missed a meal but felt miserable the entire time and avoided sea days).

When I discovered Cruise Critic, I read about Ginger Root (I think that was prior to cruise #6). Since I starting taking that, I'm virtually cured. I still take meclizine with me. I usually take 1/2 prior to sailing and see how it goes after that. And I always have it for those mini-bus, winding-road shore excursions! I just took my 28th cruise since 2001 and am booked on Zuiderdam 1/4 for 11 nights. It has made a huge difference in my cruise enjoyment.

I also try to book lower decks, mid-ship, which works for me since I'm often solo and need to keep costs down. But I had a spa balcony cabin on Splendor to Bermuda last year (high and foward) and had no problems during that cruise, so, yes, I consider that Ginger Root has pretty much cured me! :p

I actually had come here with a question and got sidetracked. :o

When I booked my cruise through my PCC, I requested late/main dining. I've decided I'd prefer open seating. I just sent him an email and got an auto-response that he's out until next Monday.

Since we're already under 1 month from sailing, it's quite possible that Open seating is not available, but I'd like to get my request in now, if possible.

On Carnival, I can log into my reservation and change my dining preference. I don't see that I can do that via HAL's website. Am I just missing it or is it not possible to change things like dining time (or bedding arrangements) online?