New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

this sounds really cool..... I'm going to look for their company site

On your first cruise, I would recommend that you stick with excursions booked through HAL. Once you have your feet wet with cruising, you can be more adventurous.

Edited by Crew News

this sounds really cool..... I'm going to look for their company site

Harv & Marv are excellent tour operators, and very reliable. Also about half the price of the ship excursions.:D The good thing about the Alaska ports is that there are many tour vendors at the dock, and we've used many of them, having been to Alaska a number of times. One thing I would recommend, however, is to go read the Alaska forum - there is a fund of information on there, and cruisers who go every year and really know their stuff.

I understand there is no laundromat for self service laundry on the Noordam and there are options for the crew to handle it for me. Aside from that, if I choose to wash some things in the sink, is there a retractable clothes line in the tub area? Just trying to figure out if we wash it, how will it dry. :D We are in a signature suite. Thanks!

Hi Travel GG, We just came off the Noordam a few days ago. We just had a regular ocean view room and there was a retractable line in the shower. However, it was short and only held 3 small items at a time. It also took forever (days) to dry as there was no air movement in the bathroom. We also had things hanging from the towel rails. We had our 2kids with us and ended up hanging their bathers off the bunk bed ladder to dry overnight.

On the 3rd last day we ended up paying $20 for the all you can fit laundry bag. It is slightly smaller than a pillow case, but we managed to fit in it: 8pairs of hubby's boxer shorts, 2pairs of my long pants, 8 of hubby's t-shirts, 2 singlet tops, 5 blouses (mix of mine & kids), 1 business shirt, 2 kids dresses; and we could of probably squeezed in a couple of other things too.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

I have cruised a few times with HAL with only two or three ports which required tendering so my memory is fuzzy about procedures.

We are taking the Zaandam from Valpo to BA and have been asked by our tour operator (in Stanley/Falklands-trip to Volunteer Point) to try to be on the first tender, if possible.

How is tendering handled? Who has priority getting off, if any? I assume HAL excursions have first dibs. I'm just wondering if getting off early/first will be doable. Any advice or suggestions are most welcome!

Thanks much!

I have cruised a few times with HAL with only two or three ports which required tendering so my memory is fuzzy about procedures.

We are taking the Zaandam from Valpo to BA and have been asked by our tour operator (in Stanley/Falklands-trip to Volunteer Point) to try to be on the first tender, if possible.

How is tendering handled? Who has priority getting off, if any? I assume HAL excursions have first dibs. I'm just wondering if getting off early/first will be doable. Any advice or suggestions are most welcome!

Thanks much!

Priority is given to the ship's excursions and 4/5* Mariners, suites and Presidents' Club members also have some access (most times).

If it is just the two of you or a very small group you might be able to be put on the first or second tender.

It's a good idea to check HAL's shore excursions and see what time they start. Sometimes they don't start right away and the tenders are not bad. Other times they do start right away and you could have a wait.

On board, see if you can find out who is in charge of the tender tickets (sometimes it has been the Culinary staff before the new Culinary set up came into being) and speak to them nicely. They may also be able to help.

I wish you luck getting to the Falklands. It can be tough to tender there and sadly, we were not able to go when we did that itinerary.

We had one time in St. Malo, where despite pre-arranging tickets for our group (it was large) we had a wait due to issues with the port's tender. The captain did not feel it was safe and we were delayed substantially waiting for the new tenders and the rough seas to calm. When we got there - 1 and 1/2 hours late (at least), our guides were there waiting for us ;)

Complimentary hors d’oeuvres are served during evening hours in the lounges upon request. These are different than the Starters in the Main Dining Room. We love to go to the Crow’s Nest, listen to the music and have hors d’oeuvres before dinner. Complimentary cold appetizers and freshly-made snack bars are also available throughout the day in the Explorations Café. In the Daily Program, there’s usually a listing for A Little Something, offering the Pinnacle Grill's appetizer for that evening (while there’s a charge for the beverages offered, in my experience you can request only the appetizer, which is complimentary. I get them to go).

Does anyone know if HAL still offers complimentary hors d'oeures since it came out of dry dock? It is my understanding that several of the lounges have been re-designed and that music isn't even offered in the Crow's Nest anymore. Thanks!

Does anyone know if HAL still offers complimentary hors d'oeures since it came out of dry dock? It is my understanding that several of the lounges have been re-designed and that music isn't even offered in the Crow's Nest anymore. Thanks!

Not sure if I follow since it came out of dry dock, guessing you are talking about a specific ship?

But yes, hors d'oeuvres are still offered on board.

Usually at happy hour time.

Not sure if I follow since it came out of dry dock, guessing you are talking about a specific ship?

But yes, hors d'oeuvres are still offered on board.

Usually at happy hour time.

I forgot to say HAL Oosterdam but thanks for the reply!

Thanks Qwenby and bamagirldonna for the laundry info! It sounds like the $20 laundry bag is in our future. Since it is just my husband and myself, if we do it twice it would still be more economical than the $49 deal and would work well for us. Out of curiosity, was it $49 because it was $7 a day and you cruised for 7 days or did you have a longer cruise and $49 was the deal offered? Thanks again!

Thanks Qwenby and bamagirldonna for the laundry info! It sounds like the $20 laundry bag is in our future. Since it is just my husband and myself, if we do it twice it would still be more economical than the $49 deal and would work well for us. Out of curiosity, was it $49 because it was $7 a day and you cruised for 7 days or did you have a longer cruise and $49 was the deal offered? Thanks again!

The cost is $7/day for cruises in the Western Hemisphere. You can turn in your laundry the evening that you embark and it is usually back before noon the next day. You cannot turn in laundry on your last day. The daily laundry advantage is being able to pack for just 3-days and perhaps leaving one suitcase at home.

The cost is $7/day for cruises in the Western Hemisphere. You can turn in your laundry the evening that you embark and it is usually back before noon the next day. You cannot turn in laundry on your last day. The daily laundry advantage is being able to pack for just 3-days and perhaps leaving one suitcase at home.

Is the $7 a day laundry deal also available on a transpacific cruise that sails from the western hemisphere into the eastern hemisphere?

Is the $7 a day laundry deal also available on a transpacific cruise that sails from the western hemisphere into the eastern hemisphere?

The unlimited laundry package is available on every cruise. The price can vary a little, but the highest I have ever seen is $9/day times the number of days in the cruise.

If you're willing to pay $7, then $2 more is a drop in the bucket.

We're getting REALLY excited for our cruise! We will be on the Noordam. Does anyone know if they stock stevia packets on the ship or should I bring my own? We are attempting to pack as little as possible so I am hoping it will be available. :D

I don't believe they have Stevia on the ship. I've seen the PINK, BLUE, and Yellow sweetner packets. I do carry Stevia tablets when traveling as often on shore excursions I've been unable to obtain sweetners.

Edited by Btimmer

We're getting REALLY excited for our cruise! We will be on the Noordam. Does anyone know if they stock stevia packets on the ship or should I bring my own? We are attempting to pack as little as possible so I am hoping it will be available. :D

I take along one small (2 oz) Clear NuStevia from NuNaturals which lasts for weeks/months.

I LOVE this thread! I've read all 70+ pages but haven't seen this question. Is there a dress code in MDR the first night? I've done 5 Carnival cruises, but this is my first on Holland America. On Carnival there is a relaxed dress code on the first night, I suppose on the assumption that not everyone has their luggage yet. Does HAL have this? I'm planning the number of dinner outfits to pack! 😎

Denice

If you've booked this cabin don't walk - run to the phone to cLl your TA and them them you request a different cabin. Although the location was perfect for us, we went without a working toilet and then not a sustantial cleaning.

Just email me any questions. We dock in Ft Lauderdale. It's pamssanity at aol dot come. I'd gladly answer any questions. Nite all!

I LOVE this thread! I've read all 70+ pages but haven't seen this question. Is there a dress code in MDR the first night? I've done 5 Carnival cruises, but this is my first on Holland America. On Carnival there is a relaxed dress code on the first night, I suppose on the assumption that not everyone has their luggage yet. Does HAL have this? I'm planning the number of dinner outfits to pack! 😎

Denice

The dress code for the first night on almost all cruise lines, including HAL, is casual. Many, if not most, of your fellow passengers will wear the same clothes they wear to travel to the ship.

We sailed to the Bahamas a few years back on Carnival. Now we'll soon be off on the 18 day trip to Hawaii through Holland America! I've seen that Westerdam is now offering unlimited internet access in tiers. I'd like to know the exact cost of the low and medium tiers and what each includes but, as importantly, how I sign up & pay for that? Do I have to wait til we are onboard or is this something that my TA can handle for us before we sail? Or if we need to do it ourselves, how & where do I access that information? Thanks for any insight and I hope I'm posting this in the appropriate place. These pages contain invaluable information for us mostly "newbie" cruisers!

We sailed to the Bahamas a few years back on Carnival. Now we'll soon be off on the 18 day trip to Hawaii through Holland America! I've seen that Westerdam is now offering unlimited internet access in tiers. I'd like to know the exact cost of the low and medium tiers and what each includes but, as importantly, how I sign up & pay for that? Do I have to wait til we are onboard or is this something that my TA can handle for us before we sail? Or if we need to do it ourselves, how & where do I access that information? Thanks for any insight and I hope I'm posting this in the appropriate place. These pages contain invaluable information for us mostly "newbie" cruisers!

We have done the Westerdam twice with the unlimited package. I'm not sure what your pricing will be on an 18 day, but we were very happy with ours. There are three prices - one for social (cheapest), one for regular (medium) (email, internet, etc.) and on that is the highest (for skype). Generally speaking if you just want to keep track of things on email, internet and FB the medium more than does the trick. I had the highest temporarily and I do not think it is any faster than the medium, just permits you to skype, stream, whatever.

I suspect your cost for the medium package will be somewhere around $199 based on our last cruise. Granted, it was a 33 day cruise but it doesn't seem the cost vary that much by the length of time of the cruise on unlimited packages. Can't guarantee that of course ;)

You can't pre-order internet. You need to wait until you are on board.

It is very easy - just open up your device and you will get the options and can select and charge to your on board account. There will also be an advisory in your room of the costs if you want to examine it in advance.

Edited by kazu

Hello!

I think we still qualify as newbies. We will be sailing on just our 3rd cruise (and second on HAL) on board msWesterdam for a 12-night Mediterranean dream May 2017.

I noticed that there are a lot of links to menus and on location dailies for Alaska and Caribbean cruise. But does anyone have links or information on menus and on locations for a typical Mediterranean cruise on HAL? Or, are menus on HAL similar fleetwide regardless of itinerary?

Thank you. (Please bear with me. Other questions will be forthcoming as our cruise date nears)

Sent from my iPad using Forums