New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Hi everyone, I want to thank you all for keeping this thread going. I've been on a few lines and have my first HAL cruise coming up next month on the Koningsdam next month. The help I've found here is wonderful and I appreciate the time and effort you take. Even when the same question comes up for the 100th time, you all are so kind and positive.

I have a few questions. I booked an Inside Spa room and I was given the list of amenities in the room. The HAL rep. I spoke to said there will be a discounted spa menu in the room but she had no idea about the discount on spa services and I've searched online to no avail. I'm not expecting much and wondered if anyone had an info about this. The spa room price was actually better than a regular inside room, maybe because I'm traveling solo.

Other question is about smoking. I read somewhere, not even sure where now...that smoking was permitted in some cabin areas on the port side of the ship. Can this be right? I'm concerned as a somewhat militant type ex-smoker from 35+ years ago :) I don't want to be near any smoking area, that's for sure. I'm hoping that info was old.

I was also told that any bring-on non alcoholic beverages must go through check in with you and not allowed to go through baggage. Is this the practice anyone has experienced? I'd love my bottled water, but not if I have to wheel 35-40 pounds of it through the check in process.

I can't answer the question about the spa discount possibilities. But we've enjoyed the heated thermal beds and special spa pool.

Re: smoking, effective 1/1/17, smoking on HAL ships was restricted to non-cabin areas. See this link for details: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7263

Re: bringing water on board, you can bring it on board, but it must in your carry on luggage. See this link for a discussion including a HAL response: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2319640

Enjoy the Koningsdam. It's a fine Dam ship. We were able to sail on her Christening Cruise last year.

Save

Hi everyone, I want to thank you all for keeping this thread going. I've been on a few lines and have my first HAL cruise coming up next month on the Koningsdam next month. The help I've found here is wonderful and I appreciate the time and effort you take. Even when the same question comes up for the 100th time, you all are so kind and positive.

I have a few questions. I booked an Inside Spa room and I was given the list of amenities in the room. The HAL rep. I spoke to said there will be a discounted spa menu in the room but she had no idea about the discount on spa services and I've searched online to no avail. I'm not expecting much and wondered if anyone had an info about this. The spa room price was actually better than a regular inside room, maybe because I'm traveling solo.

Other question is about smoking. I read somewhere, not even sure where now...that smoking was permitted in some cabin areas on the port side of the ship. Can this be right? I'm concerned as a somewhat militant type ex-smoker from 35+ years ago :) I don't want to be near any smoking area, that's for sure. I'm hoping that info was old.

I was also told that any bring-on non alcoholic beverages must go through check in with you and not allowed to go through baggage. Is this the practice anyone has experienced? I'd love my bottled water, but not if I have to wheel 35-40 pounds of it through the check in process.

Hello. I am sailing on the Koningsdam solo April 2. Which sailing are you on.I sailed in a spa cabin in October. Did not get any spa discount menu. When you go to the spa they will give you 20% off one service. You might want to buy the thermal spa package since you will very close to the spa. I also took my own water ,soda and juices with me and yes you have to carry it on yourself not in checked baggage. I put them in a soft bag with wheels it was not that bad. You can carry almost any kind of beverage. You can not carry liquor. You may carry one bottle of wine at no charge any more than that I think you have to pay a corkage fee.

I can't answer the question about the spa discount possibilities. But we've enjoyed the heated thermal beds and special spa pool.

Re: smoking, effective 1/1/17, smoking on HAL ships was restricted to non-cabin areas. See this link for details: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7263

Re: bringing water on board, you can bring it on board, but it must in your carry on luggage. See this link for a discussion including a HAL response: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2319640

Enjoy the Koningsdam. It's a fine Dam ship. We were able to sail on her Christening Cruise last year.

Thank you very much Tim. I'm glad there is no cabin or veranda smoking allowed. It's surprising to me that HAL made the restriction just about a month ago. I'm glad you enjoyed the Christening Cruise! Must have been very exciting!

Dorie

Hello. I am sailing on the Koningsdam solo April 2. Which sailing are you on.I sailed in a spa cabin in October. Did not get any spa discount menu. When you go to the spa they will give you 20% off one service. You might want to buy the thermal spa package since you will very close to the spa. I also took my own water ,soda and juices with me and yes you have to carry it on yourself not in checked baggage. I put them in a soft bag with wheels it was not that bad. You can carry almost any kind of beverage. You can not carry liquor. You may carry one bottle of wine at no charge any more than that I think you have to pay a corkage fee.

Hi Oakgrove Girl, I'm on the March 22 cruise so I'll be leaving when you are ready to board. I'll try to be sure they keep it nice for you! The HAL rep said there'd be a "menu of discounted spa services" but as I said I wasn't expecting much in the way of discounts. I do plan to book the thermal spa package as has been suggested by you and Tim and maybe a massage. I made myself a promise that this time I'd be less weighted down with luggage, etc. One suitcase, one rolling carry-on that will have a change of clothing and the electronic stuff. I will bring a bottle of wine with me, and I'm still deciding about the water. Maybe a 12 pack instead of a 24 pack. The idea of a beverage package is interesting too, but with a lot of port days I'm not sure I could even get close to breaking even with it. That's a lot of drinks :) Last couple of cruises the bev package was included and it's sooo nice not to have lots of little receipts. Decisions, decisions! Thanks for your response.

Dorie

We are leaving out of Seattle for our cruise and have gotten the transfer from plane to ship to be safe. Are there any stores(walgreens, cvs,) or something like that in walking distance to the pier where we board?

There is a Whole Foods about 1/4 mile from Pier 91. It's possible to walk it, but it's very much an industrial area with busy streets and not much provision for foot traffic. Personally, I'd want to take a cab.

My own silly question:

How amenable do the officers tend to be passenger requests? I'm planning to do a small special little thingo for my Mom on our cruise, and it would be thoroughly wonderful if I could get a junior officer to bring her a glass of orange juice (there's a whole story behind this).

Also, is there any appropriate thing I might use to bribe/reward/thank a junior officer for doing this? (Tips are out, fresh fruit and pastry are available on board in abundance, souvenirs of Seattle seems maybe kind of tacky, if I knew how to bottle up a few hours of sleep and hand it out to people I'd already be living on a cruise ship...)

Depending upon the timing you might be able to get the CD or Show Host to do something. I'd approach them early in the cruise to discuss possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks so much. Forgive my ignorance, but is this one of the sorts of thing a Cruise Director does?

Timing is flexible. Ideally, it would be at or around dinner on the 6th day of the 7-day cruise, about the time we're crossing our 2,000th sea mile; but anytime between the first couple of days and disembarkation would do.

I want to give Mom a certificate proclaiming her an "Well-Seasoned Salt" for having sailed 5000 nautical miles. Her earlier 3000 nm voyage was a TA in 1949 on a refugee ship, where the junior officers plied her with orange juice (hence the thing) because she was one of very few English-speaking single women onboard. Sailors call themselves "Old Salts" after having sailed 5000 miles, I'm going with "well-seasoned" because a) Mom was/will be a passenger both times and I don't want to infringe on a title meant for working sailors, and 2) Mom's 87 - she's doesn't need a certificate or proclamation to to tell her she's "old."

Thanks so much. Forgive my ignorance, but is this one of the sorts of thing a Cruise Director does?

The Cruise Director is the person to discuss this idea with IMO. If it is feasible for it to be done, they will make arrangements.

Forgive my ignorance, but is this one of the sorts of thing a Cruise Director does?

The reasons behind the idea are something many officers would find charming, fun, and would readily help pull off.

Personally, I would go to the Front Desk early in the cruise and see if you can speak to someone (Guest Relations Manager, possibly?) to get this set up. They could produce a certificate saying whatever you wanted, and present it---along with the orange juice---with a little flair!

I have a few questions, new to cruising and to HAL but getting excited for our Alaska cruise! (oosterdam) Again, what drinks are included with regular itinerary,i.e. no extra fees? Is it water, tea,coffee,iced tea,juice at breakfast? Also I had heard this somewhere,not trying to be rude but I want to know, if we're in MDR,and my DH wants two entrees,he can order whatever,right? Is it ok to order multiples of an item,if you intend to eat it? And.... are there enough towels provided in the room? What about pool areas? Do we need to bring any? And are there hairdryers provided in the cabins? ...thanks.....

All the drinks you mention are free anytime.

If you want two entrees, order them. The same with individual items.

There are large and small towels in the stateroom. You can request more from your stateroom attendant. More towels are available in the pool area. Don't bring any.

A Hair dryer is in the cabin.

We spent a wonderful two weeks on the Oosterdam a few years ago down under. And she's been ungraded since then. Enjoy your cruise in my birth state.

Your husband can order as many of anything and everything he wants in the Lido and the dining room; only the specialty restaurants have a limit of one entrée per person.

Do be sure he orders everything at once, however, to save the galley and the table steward extra work. The extras can be served on a separate plate.

There should be one of each type of towel per person, in the cabin. If you want more, just ask your cabin steward, and it will be supplied.

There are plenty of towels on a display at the pools. There are also towels placed on the loungers there.

If there are "beach days" on your cruise, towels will be left in your cabin. They must be returned or there is a charge for them.

Towels are also furnished in the spa.

Every cabin on every ship has a hair dryer provided. Depending on the length and thickness of your hair, it may or may not be sufficient for you.

The reasons behind the idea are something many officers would find charming, fun, and would readily help pull off.

Personally, I would go to the Front Desk early in the cruise and see if you can speak to someone (Guest Relations Manager, possibly?) to get this set up. They could produce a certificate saying whatever you wanted, and present it---along with the orange juice---with a little flair!

Thank you - I needed an outside perspective on this. I think my mom and her stories are fun and charming, but it's not always easy to know what other might think.

I will check with the Front Desk, and perhaps the Guest Relations Manager, to see who might be most suited and willing to help pull this off. :)

Hello. I have a question I could not find the answer in this thread. When you book a guarantee cabin when do they give you the cabin number?

You generally receive the cabin number under the guarantee arrangement about 10 days before sailing, but that can vary including receiving the cabin number at checkin at the dock. All that the guarantee does is to guarantee a certain class of cabin. You might, therefore, receive a higher class cabin at assignment time or even be offered a higher class cabin for an additional charge.

Generally we book guaranteed inside cabins as we really don't care where on the ship we are assigned. On our last cruise on the Maasdam, we were assigned an inside cabin next to the last at the stern and absolutely loved it. Very little motion and a nearby external door. For our next cruise, we chose a window cabin as we're bringing a granddaughter who's never cruised before and we didn't want to have her first experience cruising without a window.

I hope this helps.

. All that the guarantee does is to guarantee a certain class of cabin. You might, therefore, receive a higher class cabin at assignment time or even be offered a higher class cabin for an additional charge.

When you book a guarantee, might you be assigned a higher type of cabin - i.e., if you book an interior guarantee, might you be assigned an ocean-view cabin, or are you only eligible for upgrades to better interior cabins? The same for ocean-view, lanai or suite guarantees - Could you be upgraded from a lanai to a Vista Suite, etc. ?

When you book a guarantee, might you be assigned a higher type of cabin - i.e., if you book an interior guarantee, might you be assigned an ocean-view cabin, or are you only eligible for upgrades to better interior cabins? The same for ocean-view, lanai or suite guarantees - Could you be upgraded from a lanai to a Vista Suite, etc. ?

I'm guessing that theoretically you could be upgraded to an ocean view. But my experience has been that we're upgraded to a better class within the interior cabins. I think I remember that we were once assigned an obstructed view cabin on an internal guarantee. Keep in mind that when HAL is assigning cabins, I believe they will first attempt to up sell passengers before assigning the remainder of the cabins.

My recommendation is to guarantee the class of cabin you are comfortable with respect to price and features and then see what happens. For us, we're comfortable just about anywhere as we are virtually never in the stateroom except to sleep. So as long as it's neat, clean, and dry, we're good to go. And, yes, we have been moved from a leaking room, but it was still an interior room, albeit larger.

Edited by Btimmer

I have been trying to decipher what As You Wish dining really means so if anyone can shed some light on the options I would greatly appreciate it.

Does AYW dining mean that we would eat in the MDR just at a time that is more convenient for us? Or does that mean we would have to go to some other place to eat? If it means we could just go eat at anytime in the MDR why would it benefit us to get early dining that requires us to be at the MDR at a certain time? What am I missing? We are on the wait list for early dining but if we get it does that mean we must always eat at that time but then what happens if at port and still on an excursion? Would I let them know that we will not be dining at that time and would that mean we could get in at a different time?

I have been trying to decipher what As You Wish dining really means so if anyone can shed some light on the options I would greatly appreciate it.

Does AYW dining mean that we would eat in the MDR just at a time that is more convenient for us? Or does that mean we would have to go to some other place to eat? If it means we could just go eat at anytime in the MDR why would it benefit us to get early dining that requires us to be at the MDR at a certain time? What am I missing? We are on the wait list for early dining but if we get it does that mean we must always eat at that time but then what happens if at port and still on an excursion? Would I let them know that we will not be dining at that time and would that mean we could get in at a different time?

If you do Any Time Dining aka Open Dining as opposed to fixed then you go the MDR any time you want. You might have a wait depending on the table size you want, but most ships give you a pager - you go where you want and are beeped when your table is ready.

If you opt for our fixed dining time, that is your dining time. If you elect not to go at that time, you can go to the Lido to eat, order room service or one of the specialty dining restaraunts.

You can't do fixed and open. It's one or the other. In other words, you can't have your cake and eat it too ;).

there are pros and cons to both. And fans of both.

You do have the option to switch once from one option to the other if there is availability on the cruise. But it is subject to availability so easier to switch from fixed to the open IMO. But, to the best of my knowledge and experience, once you switch you can't go back.

AYW dining means you can eat at the time of your choosing in the MDR. It is similar to eating at a restaurant in that you will be seated at a table based on availability at the time you show up - if there is none, you will be given a buzzer that will notify you.

The benefit of set dining is that you will have the same table mates and wait staff every night - it can to be called by name and having them eventually know your preferences