New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

I've really enjoyed this board as my wife and I prepare for our first cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska. I've got some questions regarding Onboard Credits.

1. How do I purchase the OBCs? Is there a spot on the HAL website? Or, do I let my PCC know? Can I purchase the OBC at any time before sailing?

2. Can the OBC be used for everything on board? Dinners at the PG and Tamarind? Wine and alcohol purchases? Tips? HSC charges? Excursions?

3. Is there a limit of how much OBC I can purchase?

4. If I don't buy a Signature Beverage Package, do I get receipts for every drink I buy? And then, will these (plus tips) be deducted from the OBC?

5. Can I check at the main desk while cruising to stay updated on my OBC account?

6. I I don't use up the OBC total, is the difference refunded to me upon disembarkation?

Thanks for the help.

In addition to what Kazu said.

1. You need to purchase any OBC you wish at least a week prior to the cruise. You may be able to purchase it within that last week by calling rather than using the website.

5. On many ships now you can use your laptop, tablet or phone to check your balance.

6. If you have a credit or debit card registered the balance can be refunded to the card. If you don't, you can get a cash refund starting around 10pm the night prior to disembarking. At that point your card will be turned off for charging.

1. You need to purchase any OBC you wish at least a week prior to the cruise. You may be able to purchase it within that last week by calling rather than using the website.

5. On many ships now you can use your laptop, tablet or phone to check your balance.

6. If you have a credit or debit card registered the balance can be refunded to the card. If you don't, you can get a cash refund starting around 10pm the night prior to disembarking. At that point your card will be turned off for charging.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam, you can do #5 from your personal electronics. I was on her about 3 weeks ago.

What sort of closet space or drawers will be in a VE cabin with veranda on Eurodam? I have heard that there is a decent amount of space but I'm not sure what I'll be working with. I like to unpack pretty early on and get things put away. Should I bring some sort of organization and if so what? Packing cubes maybe?

So thankful for this thread!!

1. You can purchase OBC over the phone by calling Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576. I was told last week that you can actually purchase OBC while you're on the ship, they will make sure it gets to you. They recommend doing it 3 days before sailing because that is when the data is loaded.

6. If you are going to have a balance remaining and get rewards for using your credit card that you gave them at check-in, make sure you give them a debit card, make sure that you change it to a debit card before the end of the cruise, or get the balance in cash, as you suggested. Otherwise, when the balance gets refunded to your credit card, you will receive negative rewards.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam, you can do #5 from your personal electronics. I was on her about 3 weeks ago.

We were on the Veendam in January 2017 and HAL has an app for your phone that will give you a list of what's going on around the ship with the ability to mark the ones you're interested in for your itinerary, shore excursions you are booked on (if booked through HAL), current balance of what you've spent on board, and a tracking of Internet time you've used. I'm sure there was more, but we found this app very helpful.

Taking our first HAL cruise on the Oosterdam to Alaska in May - planning to embark as early as possible to take full advantage of the time to acquaint ourselves with the ship. I seem to remember reading that lunch would be served in the main dining room for repeat HAL cruisers (Mariners?). I later read that this is now available for all. Can anyone clarify this? I'm hoping to avoid the buffet circus :)

Taking our first HAL cruise on the Oosterdam to Alaska in May - planning to embark as early as possible to take full advantage of the time to acquaint ourselves with the ship. I seem to remember reading that lunch would be served in the main dining room for repeat HAL cruisers (Mariners?). I later read that this is now available for all. Can anyone clarify this? I'm hoping to avoid the buffet circus :)

Yes, the main dining room is open to all, and lunch is generally served from noon until 1:30. They don't really publicize that the main dining room is open, preferring to funnel everyone through the Lido buffet. Sometimes HAL may be doing a lunch in the main dining room for travel agents, or a lunch for a philanthropic cause, and then indeed the dining room is off-limits to passengers. You can also try the Dive-In on the Lido deck. It has hamburgers, hot dogs, and a taco bar.

I'm hoping to avoid the buffet circus :)

Keep in mind that now that cabins are available as soon as you board, the buffet isn't the "circus" it used to be. Passengers eat, then head out to tour the ship, unpack, or take care of other business. They no longer sit there, taking up seats, while waiting.

If you wait a little while, it can seem almost empty!

This is such a great thread and I am so thankful for it as we have never been cruising before...

What sort of storage (closet space/drawers etc) will be in a VE cabin with veranda on Eurodam? Is there any pictures maybe anywhere? I have heard that there is a decent amount of space but I'm not sure what I'll be working with. I like to unpack pretty early on and get things put away. Should I bring some sort of organization and if so what? Packing cubes maybe?

Thanks to all!

This is such a great thread and I am so thankful for it as we have never been cruising before...

What sort of storage (closet space/drawers etc) will be in a VE cabin with veranda on Eurodam? Is there any pictures maybe anywhere? I have heard that there is a decent amount of space but I'm not sure what I'll be working with. I like to unpack pretty early on and get things put away. Should I bring some sort of organization and if so what? Packing cubes maybe?

Thanks to all!

Verandah cabin category storage is usually the same (except some aft cabins maybe). If you google 4160 - Eurodam | HAL Cruiser information, you will find some good pics to give you an idea of storage. There are also other pics on that site showing storage.

I always take packing cubes. I find them very handy for hotel stays and for the shelves on the ship.

We will be on oosterdam next Fall departing out of San Diego for Mexico. HAL advised our T.A. we should board at one pm. Is this strictly enforced or just an estimate? We are in an SS on deck six, only Mariner two. On our Alaska cruise last July, we were on board by 11:30. Prefer the MDR lunch rather than the Lido.

Verandah cabin category storage is usually the same (except some aft cabins maybe). If you google 4160 - Eurodam | HAL Cruiser information, you will find some good pics to give you an idea of storage. There are also other pics on that site showing storage.

I always take packing cubes. I find them very handy for hotel stays and for the shelves on the ship.

Thank you so much Kazu! I had looked on the "unmentionable" site but had missed that one. That is definitely helpful.

One other question... I understand we will definitely have our HSC at the end of our trip and I am budgeting for this. We have the Explore 4 package, will we have an additional service charge on top of this as well for our drinks?

Also, are the cabin stewards able to accept gift cards as an extra gift or tip?

We will be on oosterdam next Fall departing out of San Diego for Mexico. HAL advised our T.A. we should board at one pm. Is this strictly enforced or just an estimate? We are in an SS on deck six, only Mariner two. On our Alaska cruise last July, we were on board by 11:30. Prefer the MDR lunch rather than the Lido.

In our experience, San Diego has boarding issues so don't count on boarding before noon at the earliest.

FWIW San Diego luggage x-ray screening identifies ALL extension cords of any type as prohibited and your luggage goes to the HAL "naughty room" where you will be asked to open the luggage so the cords can be confiscated until the day before you disembark. Extension cords in your carry-on luggage are OK. They must be OK for use on your last night?

Keep in mind that now that cabins are available as soon as you board.
Is that true even if we board as soon as they start allowing non-priority people on?

It would certainly be nice to be able to dump our stuff in the cabin before heading to lunch!

Is that true even if we board as soon as they start allowing non-priority people on?

It would certainly be nice to be able to dump our stuff in the cabin before heading to lunch!

Unless something extraordinary happens, cabins are ready at 11:30, which is when boarding begins.

I like to go to my cabin, unpack my carry-ons, read through the paperwork that's always there, check my shore excursion tickets and reservations, then head out. I can have lunch and take care of whatever needs attention on one trip, then return to start unpacking the large suitcase (frequently it's been delivered by then).

I like to have all of that done, and the empty suitcase put away, by the time muster is called.

Some time before that = time when the captain and the harbormaster and whoever else mess around with paperwork until the ship is cleared.

Just a heads up, the captain and any harbormaster are not involved in 'clearing the ship' upon arrival in a port, any port. On the ship's side, the job is done by the Crew Officer (crew purser) and Purser on the "S" and "R"-class ships and on Prinsendam, and by the PPO (Port Paper Officer) on the Vistas, Signatures and Pinnacle(s).

On the port side, it can involve a myriad of officials depending on which country one finds one self in , i.e. Customs, Immigration, (CBP in the U.S., CBSA in Canada), Coast Guard, Police, Public Health Dept, pest control/fumigator, etc. It can be as few as two officials and as many as ten plus

We'll be on Oosterdam to AK in May. Apologize if this is a silly question, but what are ship temperatures like, and are cabin temps adjustable? Do you find that you need sweaters inside the ship?

We'll be on Oosterdam to AK in May. Apologize if this is a silly question, but what are ship temperatures like, and are cabin temps adjustable? Do you find that you need sweaters inside the ship?

There is NO such thing as a silly question ;)

Cabin temps are indeed adjustable.

The ships' public areas can be cool in some spots. Depends upon the number of people in the room, etc., but some find them cool. You may need a sweater or shawl for some of those areas just to be safe.

1, Yes, you can purchase OBC on the HAL website. Log in and choose purchase by your reservation and then gifts/indulgences.

2 & 3. Yes, OBC can be used for everything. Charges on board are put to your on board account and any OBC you have. There is no limit that I am aware of to the amount you purchase.

4. Yes,, you will get a receipt for every drink you buy and they and the tips will be deducted from your OBC.

5. Yes you can. You can also print off your statement at the self serve machine. Note - The OBC will appear at the beginning of your statement. Then all charges will be applied so you will see a declining credit balance.

6. As long as you have purchased the OBC, any OBC not used will be refunded to you.

Lastly, be sure to bring the proof of purchase (email confirmation) of your obc. Once you have seen it on your statement, you can put the confirmation in recycling.

We've just booked our first ocean cruise (Alaska in August) yesterday and trying to learn as much as possible over the next 5 months. Why would one purchase obc's rather than just have any purchases applied to your account and settle up the last night? Or is it a budgeting issue trying not to overspend?

We've just booked our first ocean cruise (Alaska in August) yesterday and trying to learn as much as possible over the next 5 months. Why would one purchase obc's rather than just have any purchases applied to your account and settle up the last night? Or is it a budgeting issue trying not to overspend?

I can only think of one reason and that would be if you're trying to meet a pending spend requirement in order to receive a sign-up bonus for a new credit card.

I'd like to know what other reason there could possibly be.

As a person who does it, there a couple of reasons.

First of all, we live in Canada and I don't want to be subject to the exchange rate at one moment in time. It has been worth it for me (especially with the way interest rates are) to buy in advance and I have saved a lot of money doing it if the Canadian dollar is going south compared to the U.S. $.

The second reason (for us) is to avoid sticker shock at the end. We usually spend a fair bit of dollars on board and don't begrudge it for a moment, but rather than have a big bill at the end, I prefer to choose when to buy my U.S. $ and know that when we get off while the charges will be hefty, the bill will not be that large. (I know we will still have a bill when we get off ;) )

It's similar to buying a beverage card. If I buy them on line, our names on it in case of losing it. And again, we buy when the rate "appears" favourable (although the exchange rate stinks, frankly). If you buy it on board, your names are not on it.

Why buy a beverage card? Because I don't want 10 million slips to reconcile and a 40 page bill to check. (we are on for 30 days so you would be surprised how much paper is generated ;) ).

Some people prefer to just pay the bill at the end. Others of us like to watch the exchange rates, or plan or just know that it is done.

Good points Jacqui, we're also Canadian and looks like $ is starting to tank again. Everytime we think of going to US our $ drops. Unfortunately for me purchasing anything in US funds is like playing the market - buy high, sell low.

Good points Jacqui, we're also Canadian and looks like $ is starting to tank again. Everytime we think of going to US our $ drops. Unfortunately for me purchasing anything in US funds is like playing the market - buy high, sell low.

LOL, I hear you on the buy high, sell low.

Just dollar cost average it. You can easily do a US $ account and transfer to it - a small bit at a time spread out over time so the cost "averages" out and take that with you too ;)

The obc and US $ I purchased earlier has really paid off. Interest rates can't match the difference in what it is now. Hoping it improves again before our final bill. ;)