New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

If you do Any Time Dining aka Open Dining as opposed to fixed then you go the MDR any time you want. You might have a wait depending on the table size you want, but most ships give you a pager - you go where you want and are beeped when your table is ready.

Then that sounds like the option for us particularly since we will be taking excursions that will go past our dining time for three of the 7 days. Thank you so much for your answer!

Thank you to Herfnerd also for your answer.

AYW dining means you can eat at the time of your choosing in the MDR. It is similar to eating at a restaurant in that you will be seated at a table based on availability at the time you show up - if there is none, you will be given a buzzer that will notify you.

The benefit of set dining is that you will have the same table mates and wait staff every night - it can to be called by name and having them eventually know your preferences.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can also ask to make a reservation for each night at a time of your choosing, and also request the same table so you can get the same wait staff.

I like having the same wait staff each night, but having been on Anthem of the Seas for 2 cruises last year with their Dynamic Dining (now dead) having different servers each night, I found that it wasn't that bad.

My problem with the set dining times on HAL is that early is too early for us and late is too late. I'm hoping to be able to eat at around 6:30 and not have much of a wait and still be able to get the shows.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can also ask to make a reservation for each night at a time of your choosing, and also request the same table so you can get the same wait staff.

You are correct - up to 3-days

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My problem with the set dining times on HAL is that early is too early for us and late is too late. I'm hoping to be able to eat at around 6:30 and not have much of a wait and still be able to get the shows.

See I am just the opposite... I would prefer to eat dinner in the early afternoon between 2 - 4. Does anyone know the earliest time in the MDR to eat? Obviously it won't work when we are on excursions but when on ship I want to eat dinner as early as possible.

When you book a guarantee, might you be assigned a higher type of cabin - i.e., if you book an interior guarantee, might you be assigned an ocean-view cabin, or are you only eligible for upgrades to better interior cabins?

Yes, you can be assigned a cabin in a higher class (inside to outside, for example). The higher your guarantee category in the class, the better the chances of moving up to the next class.

If you guaranteed an NN, for example, you aren't as likely to be assigned an outside as someone who guaranteed an I-category.

I have been trying to decipher what As You Wish dining really means so if anyone can shed some light on the options I would greatly appreciate it.

As You Wish dining means any and all of the dining options on the ship. They range from the various specialty restaurants, such as Canaletto, Pinnacle, Tamarind, and the newer options on the Koningsdam, all the way to room service, either off the room service menu or the dining room menu.

They also include both the fixed and open seating options in the dining room, and the Lido.

See I am just the opposite... I would prefer to eat dinner in the early afternoon between 2 - 4. Does anyone know the earliest time in the MDR to eat? Obviously it won't work when we are on excursions but when on ship I want to eat dinner as early as possible.

Looks like the MDR opens for dinner at 5:15.

Gloria - HAL does NOT recommend that you keep meds in the fridge in your room as they do not guarantee the temperatures. A regular ocean view room does not have a fridge but you can rent one - but I recommend against that.

I also travel with temperature sensitive meds and always have them stored the medical facility as they monitor the temps of the fridges. I just put them into a zip bag, add my name and cabin number to the bag and they store them. Also do the same to the freezer packs and they will put those in the freezer for me so it is ready to go when it is time to disembark. The medical facility opens at 8 am on most days and stays open until about 6-7 each evening, with an hour break for lunch. Have asked the staff if they could open early one day as we had a 1st off tour to the pyramids and one of the nurses opened up at 7 for me to get my meds.

Please reconsider keeping your meds in the room fridge as we have had soda freeze in 1 fridge - it was a mess!

If it's really important that they be kept at a certain temp, then the medical facility is the way to go, but we were on a 15 day HAL cruise and I kept my insulin there as instructed. It was a major pain. At least 75% of the time we went to get it, they were closed, out on a call, etc. Other times they were open, but we had to sit and wait until someone was available to go get it. I fully understand that people with urgent medical needs take priority, but this was almost every time. Last but not least, we were waiting - quite a long time because the nurse was involved with a patient that had been brought in and then suddenly he coded. We left so give them room to work, but they had the medical facility closed for several hours and I wasn't able to get my insulin or eat. I went several times and was sent away. I finally had to get an officer involved to go retrieve it for me. I had them get all of it and I took my chances with the room fridge from then on.

Question with regards to ocean view vs balcony/suite. We are booked on the July 3, 14 night sailing from Seattle to Alaska. We booked an ocean view for a couple of reasons. One, price was half that of a balcony. Two, We felt the wrap around promenade provide enough viewing space.

Recently, I noticed other websites have our Cat C $300 cheaper. Our booking called for a non refundable deposit of $300 per person so we couldn't cancel and rebook. However, HAL offered to split the difference between the ocean view and a suite in half. Gross difference between ocean view and suite was $4000, they offered us a suite for $2000 more than our ocean view.

Can't decide if this is worth it. What do you all think?

I copied this post as a thread starter on the Disabled Cruisers board because it probably will be of interest to members who need to carry temperature controlled medications.

If it's really important that they be kept at a certain temp, then the medical facility is the way to go, but we were on a 15 day HAL cruise and I kept my insulin there as instructed. It was a major pain. At least 75% of the time we went to get it, they were closed, out on a call, etc. Other times they were open, but we had to sit and wait until someone was available to go get it. I fully understand that people with urgent medical needs take priority, but this was almost every time. Last but not least, we were waiting - quite a long time because the nurse was involved with a patient that had been brought in and then suddenly he coded. We left so give them room to work, but they had the medical facility closed for several hours and I wasn't able to get my insulin or eat. I went several times and was sent away. I finally had to get an officer involved to go retrieve it for me. I had them get all of it and I took my chances with the room fridge from then on.

Hello i have a few questions. Do HAL give discounts on port day for spa services? How much is thermal spa package on Koningsdam 13 day transatlantic cruise in April? How much are cooking classes on Koningsdam? Can you book them before you board?

The spa usually offers "deals" on port days on certain services. It varies by the day and the cruise. There are usually flyers delivered to the room, or in the case of the King and the interactive TV, the specials might be advertised there.

I believe the cooking classes are still $29. They can only be booked on board and can sell out quickly.

Hello Kazu.

Thank you for your reply.

Have you taken any of the cooking classes if so what are they like? Are they real cooking classes or demos?

They are "real" cooking classes in the sense of a cruise. How good or how much fun depends upon who is leading them. (How seriously you should take a cooking class on a cruise ship is another discussion all together ;) ).

However, normally on HAL after the cooking class you adjourn to the Pinnacle Grill for lunch and the lunch that you were working on is prepared by the staff for you to enjoy.

There are also demos. The demos are FREE, just go early to get a seat.

Oops, edited to say that America's Test Kitchen is slowly being added on board and replacing the culinary arts. I'm not sure how this will affect the actual cooking classes overall.

I believe the demos will remain in effect.

Question with regards to ocean view vs balcony/suite. We are booked on the July 3, 14 night sailing from Seattle to Alaska. We booked an ocean view for a couple of reasons. One, price was half that of a balcony. Two, We felt the wrap around promenade provide enough viewing space.

Recently, I noticed other websites have our Cat C $300 cheaper. Our booking called for a non refundable deposit of $300 per person so we couldn't cancel and rebook. However, HAL offered to split the difference between the ocean view and a suite in half. Gross difference between ocean view and suite was $4000, they offered us a suite for $2000 more than our ocean view.

Can't decide if this is worth it. What do you all think?

I would not pay extra for a balcony suite. Sometimes it is great sometimes it can be a disaster. Smokers and loud neighbors on the balcony can destroy your trip. Easier to just go up or down stairs to see the view.

I would not consider cruising without a balcony/verandah. I spend a great deal of time enjoying reading, eating, napping and watching the sea go by. Only once or twice in over 20 cruises has a neighbor been a bit disturbing. Another point is that I need to be able to walk outside for fresh air. It might even be a claustrophobic thing. My husband just accepts that the extra fare is part of the deal when we cruise.

I would not pay extra for a balcony suite. Sometimes it is great sometimes it can be a disaster. Smokers and loud neighbors on the balcony can destroy your trip. Easier to just go up or down stairs to see the view.

Is smoking allowed in all cabins and on all cabin balconies on HAL?

We took our first HAL cruise to Mexican Riviera onboard Westerdam on Dec 3-Dec. 10, and we enjoyed it very much. We are considering taking the San Diego to Sydney cruise this coming September, but are having problems deciding on a cabin location aboard the Noordam. We would really prefer to save about $1200 by taking an aft cabin rather than a mid-ship cabin, but are concerned about how noisy these aft cabins are. Would appreciate any comments, particularly if anyone has experienced cabin 204 on Deck 9 (veranda).

For 2 months last fall from Seattle to Sydney and around Australia, we were in an aft inside cabin on the Maasdam on the Main Deck (2nd to last cabin - #692), and really liked it. When the ship is underway, there was very little motion and it was quiet plus we were a cabin away from a private sort of balcony area. We've also sailed with midship and front of ship cabins, but we don't have strong preferences as to location as long as the cabin is dry (and we've had some damp ones from which we had to be moved).