New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Is there a site where you can find cabin information/recommendations/reviews for HAL ships - similar to seat guru for plane seats?

Well, it's not a seat guru site,but there is a site with a number of cabin pictures on it taken by people who have been on the ships with their comments,MDR layouts, pics, information like menus and other stuff.

Can't provide the link here but if you google Hal Cruiser Information you should find the site with the "facts".

We took our first HAL cruise to Mexican Riviera onboard Westerdam on Dec 3-Dec. 10, and we enjoyed it very much. We are considering taking the San Diego to Sydney cruise this coming September, but are having problems deciding on a cabin location aboard the Noordam. We would really prefer to save about $1200 by taking an aft cabin rather than a mid-ship cabin, but are concerned about how noisy these aft cabins are. Would appreciate any comments, particularly if anyone has experienced cabin 204 on Deck 9 (veranda).

I would like to make a correction to my post #1673; the trip we are contemplating from San Diego to Sydney would be aboard the Maasdam, not the Noordam.

Glad you corrected your post as the Noordam and Maasdam are two different classes of ship.

You may well experience some noise from above in that location.

Shrimpboat123 provided comments and pics on 206 which you may find helpful. Just google 206 - Maasdam (HAL Cruiser Information). It is right next door to your cabin.

You may experience some noise and vibration entering and leaving port as well. From the comments I saw I would say that the savings was worth it for them ;)

Okay, Newbie Dummy question here:

Why is it that we may not name The Site Which May Not Be Named (but which seems to rhyme with "AL-Hay acts-fay")?

see this thread which is one of the stickies:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2165032

also, discussion of board policies is against the rules.

Glad you corrected your post as the Noordam and Maasdam are two different classes of ship.

You may well experience some noise from above in that location.

Shrimpboat123 provided comments and pics on 206 which you may find helpful. Just google 206 - Maasdam (HAL Cruiser Information). It is right next door to your cabin.

You may experience some noise and vibration entering and leaving port as well. From the comments I saw I would say that the savings was worth it for them ;)

My thanks to Kazu for pointing me to Shrimpboat123's post and to the latter for the information and pics. People on the HAL board are very helpful, and that is very much appreciated.:)

I have read all of the posts. What great info and questions. I am taking my first HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam May 29. It departs at 10pm. I have not received any info from HAL about boarding time (I just booked a few days ago) I would like to arrive in Copenhagen the day we sail I really don't want to stay overnight in Copenhagen, the hotel prices are high, the room is very small and my work schedule is pretty tight. I have looked on the Cruise Critic boards and since they have changed the layout I cant find anything. As a matter of fact, I cant seem to connect with the roll call (I have posted and my posts are not being added to the roll call) This post may not work.

In San Juan we had a late departure time of 10pm, but I think I boarded early in the afternoon and toured the old Town after I checked in. So does anyone got an idea of the check in times from Copenhagen that would depart at 10pm.? Marilyn.

So does anyone got an idea of the check in times from Copenhagen that would depart at 10pm.? Marilyn.

Whenever I have had a late sailing, the check-in and embarkation times have always been as usual. That is, check-in begins around 11:00 AM, and boarding at 11:30.

In a port or two those times have been a half hour different, but still late morning in any case.

see this thread which is one of the stickies:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2165032

also, discussion of board policies is against the rules.

Thanks very much for your helpful reply and referrals. :)

I should apologize: I thought I had read the rules, but I guess I hadn't read them all carefully enough.

Thanks Ruth, do you have any idea what the latest time we can check in for a 10 pm departure?

I'm not Ruth, but when we left Venice we had an overnight there. Some people did board on the second day. There was a 2nd life boat drill held for them and they had to be on before that time.

I believe those cruisers contacted HAL to confirm arrangements and that would be your best bet IMO. If using a TA have them make the arrangement and whoever does it, get it in writing ;)

I'm not Ruth, but when we left Venice we had an overnight there. Some people did board on the second day. There was a 2nd life boat drill held for them and they had to be on before that time.

I believe those cruisers contacted HAL to confirm arrangements and that would be your best bet IMO. If using a TA have them make the arrangement and whoever does it, get it in writing ;)

Thanks for the info, wasn't Venice wonderful. I did a back to back tour but not an overnight, I did not get to see Venice at night. This cruise I'm tasking has two overnights, never done that.

Thanks for the info, wasn't Venice wonderful. I did a back to back tour but not an overnight, I did not get to see Venice at night. This cruise I'm tasking has two overnights, never done that.

Yes, we enjoyed Venice. Stayed a few days pre-cruise. Overnights really add to a cruise. Gives you a lot of freedom in excursions, experience and in some ports - night life. :)

A big thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread. I just finished reading all 85 pages (whew!) and you have answered the majority of my questions regarding HAL.

This isn't my first cruise, but it is my first HAL cruise. Someone previously mentioned about storing luggage under the beds. I've always used soft-sided luggage when travelling, but am pondering getting the hard-sided luggage. Does anyone know if a 24" hard-sided case would fit under the bed? I'm a pretty efficient packer, so the depth would be 12-15".

Thanks!

A big thank you to everyone who has posted their knowledge in this thread. I just finished all 85 pages (whew!) and you have answered the majority of my questions regarding HAL.

I've cruised a number of times before, but this will be my first HAL cruise. Someone mentioned in an earlier post about storing their luggage under the beds. I usually travel with traditional soft-sided luggage, but am thinking about getting some hard-sided luggage. Does anyone know if a 24" hard-side case would fit under the bed? I'm a pretty efficient packer, so the depth would only be 12-15".

Thanks!

A big thank you to everyone who has posted their knowledge in this thread. I just finished all 85 pages (whew!) and you have answered the majority of my questions regarding HAL.

I've cruised a number of times before, but this will be my first HAL cruise. Someone mentioned in an earlier post about storing their luggage under the beds. I usually travel with traditional soft-sided luggage, but am thinking about getting some hard-sided luggage. Does anyone know if a 24" hard-side case would fit under the bed? I'm a pretty efficient packer, so the depth would only be 12-15".

Thanks!

It will definitely fit under the bed. We usually fit two 29-inch hard-side suitcases under our bed.

Hi all,

What a great thread! I havent read the entire thing but we will be in room 8021 on the Eurodam leaving May 13 for Alaska. This will be our very first cruise! I notice that we are near the elevators, will we hear much noise from the elevator itself? Also, I notice that we are directly under the spa (which at first I thought might be great seeing as it wont be too noisy above us). However, does this mean we will not be able to take the elevator closest to our room up to the Lido deck? Thanks for any and all information!

Hi all,

What a great thread! I havent read the entire thing but we will be in room 8021 on the Eurodam leaving May 13 for Alaska. This will be our very first cruise! I notice that we are near the elevators, will we hear much noise from the elevator itself? Also, I notice that we are directly under the spa (which at first I thought might be great seeing as it wont be too noisy above us). However, does this mean we will not be able to take the elevator closest to our room up to the Lido deck? Thanks for any and all information!

I've often been near the elevators - no noise from them, if you are right near the opening to the elevator area, you might get people stopping to talk before they split up.

The elevators 'forward' at the spa area take you out to the Lido pool deck that should be a left hand turn from the elevators - to the right takes you to a dead-end inside the spa area.

The inside room was quite small, but we spent little time there. Yes, suitcases fit under the bed. The crow's nest is like other ships. The very small library adjoins the crow's nest. And I don't recall seeing board games.

The music venues are quite nice even though the BBKing was too loud for our taste. The Showroom at Sea is spectacular!

I would not hesitate to sail on it again, but my choice of ships is destination driven.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I booked a balcony guarantee on Koningsdam so I do not have my cabin number yet. Was your inside cabin a good size? Can suit cases fit under bed? Is the crow's nest like the ones on other ship I heard they don't have a library. Do they have board games? Thank you for your replies.

The regular balcony rooms only have a shower, no tub. I believe you have to go up to a signature suite to get a tub.