New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Hello!

I think we still qualify as newbies. We will be sailing on just our 3rd cruise (and second on HAL) on board msWesterdam for a 12-night Mediterranean dream May 2017.

I noticed that there are a lot of links to menus and on location dailies for Alaska and Caribbean cruise. But does anyone have links or information on menus and on locations for a typical Mediterranean cruise on HAL? Or, are menus on HAL similar fleetwide regardless of itinerary?

Thank you. (Please bear with me. Other questions will be forthcoming as our cruise date nears)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are websites out there with other menus, On Locations, etc.

If you google Hal Cruiser Information - General Info, I think you will be able to see some examples.

We are leaving soon on the Zaandam soon and I would like to know if breakfast and lunch are served in the dining room every day? If so, what are the hours? I can't eat every meal in the Lido- too many easy to get temptations!

Thanks for your help, advice, suggestions!

We are leaving soon on the Zaandam soon and I would like to know if breakfast and lunch are served in the dining room every day?

The dining room should be open for breakfast every day. It generally closes by 9:00 AM on port days, and 9:30 on sea days.

The dining room is not open for lunch every day; check the daily program to be sure on any given day. When the dining room is not open for lunch there's a good chance the Pinnacle Grill will be.

Having cruised on both nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam and been bothered by the dark tinted mirrors in balcony grade cabins we wondered if the New ship Koningsdam had the same. We found the darkened mirror behind the bed made the whole cabin appear dark and depressing and why anyone would put a dressing table mirror with a dark tint is beyond me. After a couple of days using the small magnifying mirror to dry my hair (the hairdryer will not plug in near the bathroom for obvious reasons) I was so frustrated I said I would never book a similar cabin. We did notice that the larger suites on the Eurodam had either been refurbished or never had them to start.

Ruth, you are a seasoned cruiser, so may I ask which you prefer - buying OBC or buying drink cards? This upcoming Panama Canal cruise is our very first!

How long does any unused OBC stay on your acct? What happens to unused portions of drink cards? My husband is a one alcohol drink-a-day guy, so I got him the soda fountain card for his diet cokes. I'm considering drink card for myself. Do the drink cards cover ALL types of drinks- alcohol, specialty coffee, sodas, etc?

Thank you so much! I have learned so much from your posts!!

Candi

Edited by PDXgranny

Ruth, you are a seasoned cruiser, so may I ask which you prefer - buying OBC or buying drink cards? This upcoming Panama Canal cruise is our very first!

How long does any unused OBC stay on your acct? What happens to unused portions of drink cards? My husband is a one alcohol drink-a-day guy, so I got him the soda fountain card for his diet cokes. I'm considering drink card for myself. Do the drink cards cover ALL types of drinks- alcohol, specialty coffee, sodas, etc?

Thank you so much! I have learned so much from your posts!!

Candi

Not RuthC, but we like the beverage cards. They cover every kind of drink there is (I'm not talking about the soda card, but the regular beverage card). Doesn't matter if the drinks are coffees, alcoholic, bottle of wine, soda, etc.0

Unused portions of beverage cards are credited back to your on board account.

Unused refundable OBC is refunded to you at the end of the cruise - normally to the credit card you gave at check in. Note - OBC issued by HAL is not usually refundable, OBC from your TA or OBC you purchased is refundable.

Hope this helps a bit while you wait for RuthC ;)

The dining room should be open for breakfast every day. It generally closes by 9:00 AM on port days, and 9:30 on sea days.

The dining room is not open for lunch every day; check the daily program to be sure on any given day. When the dining room is not open for lunch there's a good chance the Pinnacle Grill will be.

Not RuthC, but we like the beverage cards. They cover every kind of drink there is (I'm not talking about the soda card, but the regular beverage card). Doesn't matter if the drinks are coffees, alcoholic, bottle of wine, soda, etc.0

Unused portions of beverage cards are credited back to your on board account.

Unused refundable OBC is refunded to you at the end of the cruise - normally to the credit card you gave at check in. Note - OBC issued by HAL is not usually refundable, OBC from your TA or OBC you purchased is refundable.

Hope this helps a bit while you wait for RuthC ;)

Thank you! It helps a lot! I'm leaning towards the beverage card. You were very helpful! :)

Candi

One other thing - would there be any advantage to buying card on board rather than doing it now online (any discounts onboard?)

None. I prefer to order it on line. If you do, your name is on the card (in case).

If you order on board, there is no name on the beverage card.

I like not having to check for all the little charges on my on board account. They give you a slip each time telling you what the charge is and the balance on your beverage card.

One thing I forgot to say - you need to activiate it when you get on board. Take your room card and the card to any bar and they will gladly activiate it for you.

I stick the beverage card in my key holder they give you with the key so I always have it handy ;)

Thank you - you know your stuff!!

What mistake did you make on your very first cruise that you NEVER made again?

My first cruise was a long time ago and my eyes were all a wonder.

I didn't realize I could ask not to have something on my plate to avoid wasting food.

My biggest regret was not tipping extra to those who made my cruise special. I have NEVER made that mistake again ;)

• Like 1

My first cruise was a long time ago and my eyes were all a wonder.

I didn't realize I could ask not to have something on my plate to avoid wasting food.

My biggest regret was not tipping extra to those who made my cruise special. I have NEVER made that mistake again ;)

Great advice! If I were to post a thread asking that question, where should I post it?

I'm just amazed at those of you that have done 100+ cruises! We're 68' so starting late in life. But I sure hope to fit a couple dozen in. ;)

Great advice! If I were to post a thread asking that question, where should I post it?

I'm just amazed at those of you that have done 100+ cruises! We're 68' so starting late in life. But I sure hope to fit a couple dozen in. ;)

Start the thread right here on this board. (Holland America) not on this thread.

Just click where it says new thread and off you go :)

I am far from 100+ cruises, but for the last few years, we have done 30+ day cruises while they are each one cruise, they are a lot longer ;).

You are never too late to start.

Have fun with your planning :)

Edited by kazu

Ruth, you are a seasoned cruiser, so may I ask which you prefer - buying OBC or buying drink cards?

One other thing - would there be any advantage to buying card on board rather than doing it now online (any discounts onboard?)

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but I see kazu has more than adequately answered your questions. I would have said pretty much the same things.

I, too, like to purchase a beverage card, for the same reasons kazu gave. I don't want all those little slips of paper, and I sure don't want to proof them out on the last morning when I'm trying to finish up my packing & breakfast.

I know approximately how much I spend for beverages per day, multiply by the number of days in the cruise, subtract anticipated free drinks, and buy a beverage card that will pretty much cover it. That last night I charge the difference on my cabin card, so don't normally have a refund.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but I see kazu has more than adequately answered your questions. I would have said pretty much the same things.

I, too, like to purchase a beverage card, for the same reasons kazu gave. I don't want all those little slips of paper, and I sure don't want to proof them out on the last morning when I'm trying to finish up my packing & breakfast.

I know approximately how much I spend for beverages per day, multiply by the number of days in the cruise, subtract anticipated free drinks, and buy a beverage card that will pretty much cover it. That last night I charge the difference on my cabin card, so don't normally have a refund.

Thank you, Ruth, you and Kazu helped a lot! Going to buy my beverage cards now! Thanks!

This may have been posted elsewhere but I wasn't about to read 79 pages! I just got off NA yesterday and found out, quite by accident, that the coffee tables (at least in the balcony cabins) actually can be raised. I was trying to move ours and it started to rise. Much easier to eat or have tea when it was in a higher position.

Also, the cup holders in the main theatre are hidden under the arm rests. Just after I commented that there weren't any I stumbled upon them.

Are you telling me that if we don't use the entire amount of say 1400.00 on our beverage card that HAL we refund what we don't use? What about the Queen Mary 2 will they also issue a refund on the unused portion.

I am talking about the regular beverage card tha you buy. They are in denominations of $250, $100, $50 & $25 I believe. You can buy several of them of course. And yes any amount you don't use is refunded.

This is different than the beverage packages that HAL has like Explore4, Signature Beverage Pacakge,etc. Those are not refundable.

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing ;)

Can't help with the Queen Mary, sorry.

Edited by kazu

Thank You. I guess you are talking about the specialty coffee and the soft drink cards. Wish I had been told that last time we were on HAL.

I was really talking about the specialty upgraded liquor cards that are so expensive.

Thank You for your prompt answer.

Carrie