New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that people generally dont know about cruise critic and roll calls. I never did until we booked our first cruise and I had time to trawl the net and I found cruise critic that way. If I hadnt been researching I would never have found it. Also a lot of people leave everything to their agents and never think there is anything beyond the brochure etc that they receive.

Just my opinion

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree Chris. Hopefully this has been discussed at corporate HAL meetings. But my thoughts.......wouldn't it be free (or nearly free) marketing for a cruise line to list a small icon of cruise critic on their cruise websites? People chat.....get excited about the cruise. They realize they dont have any plans for the next year so look around for another cruise and book a future cruise, therefore increasing their revenue. At the same time....it doesn't appear there are any issues with filling up a cruise ship!

dave

I've read this entire thread and it's great. Thanks to all who contribute either with their questions or answers!

Of course, I have further questions.

1) On the Amsterdam, oceanview cabin...is there a shelf of some type under the sink for storage? I've looked at pictures but none of them show the area very well. I ask because in the past (on other lines) we have organized our stuff using foldable storage cubes.

2) I know bathrobes are proved but our slippers as well?

3) We are looking at a world cruise so I'm thinking of how we might bring cash for such a long time. If you have OBC, can you use that to get foreign currency or even USD if you need it?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, every bathroom has a shelf under the sink (with the possible exception of accessible cabins). In an outside cabin the shelf is short, as the vanity area is small.

The shelf is storage space for the extra box of facial tissue, toilet paper, feminine disposal bags, as well as the bath mat. There's a wastebasket placed in it, too, and of course the pipe from the sink.

Not a lot of room left, but some things can be stacked.

Slippers are not provided in outside cabins.

I've read this entire thread and it's great. Thanks to all who contribute either with their questions or answers!

Of course, I have further questions.

1) On the Amsterdam, oceanview cabin...is there a shelf of some type under the sink for storage? I've looked at pictures but none of them show the area very well. I ask because in the past (on other lines) we have organized our stuff using foldable storage cubes.

2) I know bathrobes are proved but our slippers as well?

3) We are looking at a world cruise so I'm thinking of how we might bring cash for such a long time. If you have OBC, can you use that to get foreign currency or even USD if you need it?

Thanks in advance.

Re: getting US$, you can get a cash advance against your credit card on file at the Front Desk. I understand it's a $1,000 limit. If you have OBC, it would go against that. In January of this year I got two advances totalling $800 on the Zaandam after our US$ were stolen in Chile. It was no issue. Beyond that, we use local ATM's for the local currency. On some cruises they also typically have the predominant currency (like Euros in Europe or Chilean Pesos on the Antarctica cruise).

Re: getting US$, you can get a cash advance against your credit card on file at the Front Desk. I understand it's a $1,000 limit. If you have OBC, it would go against that. In January of this year I got two advances totalling $800 on the Zaandam after our US$ were stolen in Chile. It was no issue. Beyond that, we use local ATM's for the local currency. On some cruises they also typically have the predominant currency (like Euros in Europe or Chilean Pesos on the Antarctica cruise).

Thanks to you and RuthC. I appreciate that you share your expertise.

Can anyone provide more details about the on demand movies now that the dvd players are being swapped out on some ships? are they at a price or included? are there a few optiions like on a plane, or many.

just curious. takes me awhile to unwind before sleep usually :)

How far back in this thread should you read now, in April 2016? I'm looking at a New Zealand trip on Noordam. Just wondering how to sift through a lot of outdated information.

Any particular threads that have good info on this particular ship?

Hello / great question. I would go to your roll call HAL Noordam and your date. And then read backwards. Newest first. I am kind of nerdy so I might read all the way back. I am looking for nice people to share small tours with. Better, cheaper and more fun.

Travel safe.

Susan

Can anyone provide more details about the on demand movies now that the dvd players are being swapped out on some ships? are they at a price or included? are there a few optiions like on a plane, or many.

No charge for anything you watch on your TV.

There are loads of movies to watch. So many, in fact, that it's tough to review the full selection before making your choice. And once you have figured out what you want to see, takes time to find it again.

You can review the entire list in order, or narrow down the choices by such headings as "drama", "comedy", "documentary", etc. My trouble with that was not always knowing what the heading might be.

No charge for anything you watch on your TV.

There are loads of movies to watch. So many, in fact, that it's tough to review the full selection before making your choice. And once you have figured out what you want to see, takes time to find it again.

You can review the entire list in order, or narrow down the choices by such headings as "drama", "comedy", "documentary", etc. My trouble with that was not always knowing what the heading might be.

thanks!

one more question, sorry!

I'm doing my first any time dining cruise next month - how do you handle tipping? i typically tip my server on the last night of the cruise as many people do, in addition to the auto tips, but when its any time dining do you tip nightly? would it be odd to leave some cash on the table? i hate handing off cash directly lol.

We are taking our first cruise with HAL on the Maasdam next month. I have found that, as Aussies, we have paid more for our inside stateroom than US sites are currently advertising. We also have considerable flight costs to meet. Would it be reasonable to request some OBC from HAL? If so, how do we go about this? Thank you for any responses,

Jo

one more question, sorry!

I'm doing my first any time dining cruise next month - how do you handle tipping? i typically tip my server on the last night of the cruise as many people do, in addition to the auto tips, but when its any time dining do you tip nightly? would it be odd to leave some cash on the table? i hate handing off cash directly lol.

If you have different servers each night (and it is possible to keep the same ones by reserving with the maitre d') then the easiest way to handle this is to increase the daily HSC by the amount you wish to tip. That way all of your stewards will share in it.

We are taking our first cruise with HAL on the Maasdam next month. I have found that, as Aussies, we have paid more for our inside stateroom than US sites are currently advertising. We also have considerable flight costs to meet. Would it be reasonable to request some OBC from HAL? If so, how do we go about this? Thank you for any responses,

Jo

Your flight costs aren't HAL's responsibility, though, are they? As to the cabin fare - it can't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't expect anything to come of it.

Hello / great question. I would go to your roll call HAL Noordam and your date. And then read backwards. Newest first. I am kind of nerdy so I might read all the way back. I am looking for nice people to share small tours with. Better, cheaper and more fun.

Thanks Susan, I was wondering about that--I like sharing tours with fellow pax, especially since I don't like touring by the busload, if you know what I mean. Justs checked--unfortunately the roll-call is in, uh, in its infancy, shall we say?

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I read there are no slippers in the standard cabins, but are they supplied in the Neptune Suites? I'll be cruising the Westerdam soon.:)

Also, is it true that if I purchase the SBP/Signature Beverage Package but fail to spend the entire amount on the card, the remainder will be refunded to my credit card?

Thank you!

I read there are no slippers in the standard cabins, but are they supplied in the Neptune Suites? I'll be cruising the Westerdam soon.:)

Also, is it true that if I purchase the SBP/Signature Beverage Package but fail to spend the entire amount on the card, the remainder will be refunded to my credit card?

Thank you!

No, there's no refund on the SBP because, well, there's actually no way to chart the charges. Standard beverage cards (e.g., a $100 card that can be used for $100 in drinks) will refund the overage at the end of the cruise.

Thank you!

Can't speak to the slipper ? But I do know they are provided in Vista and Signature Suites also.

I think you may be confusing your 2nd ? With a Beverage Card, not SBP. If you have a BC and do not use it all it will be credited to your bill, not the SBP.

Sorry not quick enough!

Edited by mllewis48

Aha! That makes a lot more sense about the beverage card v/s SBP. ;) Thank you for the excellent & timely explanations.

Sounds like the Neptune Suites may have some slippers! I hope so.

Thanks for all your help and this excellent thread. I've taken so many notes from your pearls of wisdom.

Aha! That makes a lot more sense about the beverage card v/s SBP. ;) Thank you for the excellent & timely explanations.

Sounds like the Neptune Suites may have some slippers! I hope so.

Thanks for all your help and this excellent thread. I've taken so many notes from your pearls of wisdom.

If there are no slippers left on the bed at turn down the first night, talk to your Room Steward and he will get them for you.

Joanie