Open Passage Certificate - difficulty using it

excitedofharpenden

I'm not sure if policy on their use has changed recently, but I'm having a lot of trouble making it worthwhile using one of these when I'm back home. I'm told that they can't be combined with special offers. Considering Azamara's pricing is based upon special offers most if not all of the time now I do wonder when it's going to be worth my while making use of it. There's no end date on them so I can keep trying, but I'd be interested to hear of other peoples experiences.

Phil

I'm not sure if policy on their use has changed recently, but I'm having a lot of trouble making it worthwhile using one of these when I'm back home. I'm told that they can't be combined with special offers. Considering Azamara's pricing is based upon special offers most if not all of the time now I do wonder when it's going to be worth my while making use of it. There's no end date on them so I can keep trying, but I'd be interested to hear of other peoples experiences.

Phil

Phil,

Agree that trying to use these certificates is often a pain and is why I have stopped purchasing them.

In my experience there is no rhyme or reason regarding when they can be applied. Sometimes it boils down to which TA you are using rather than special offers.

Good luck

H

Edited by Spursgirl

HI, Phil,

yes, I , too, have been told that I cannot use them with some of the special promotions. I ask if I could just use them to get back my deposit and use it towards the price, but am told no. Disappointing.

Cheryl

Hmmm, I'll lose the £75 deposit I put down so no biggie. Thing is I used one for a May trip and saved £400 and got a cabin for a silly amount. Does make me wonder if Azamara call centre made a mistake on that one. I think I'm going to stop buying them and rely on booking on the ship from now on. Thanks for the replies.

Phil

Not used one for a while but the t&c's on the website definitely says that it is combinable with Azamara's general market place offers, back2back and single passenger offers, this would cover nearly everything.

Maybe the problem is that TA's and the call centre are not familiar enough with them and it's just easier to say no?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not used one for a while but the t&c's on the website definitely says that it is combinable with Azamara's general market place offers, back2back and single passenger offers, this would cover nearly everything.

Maybe the problem is that TA's and the call centre are not familiar enough with them and it's just easier to say no?

Every booking I make seems to be "best available rate" and that is one I've been told is not combinable. I've tried to use it on four cruises now without success. I'm confident I'm not being fobbed off as the story has been consistent although one agent at Azamara today did say to my travel agent that these could only be used to book onboard the ship. Try again! Doesn't instill me with much confidence. I'll just put it behind my ear for later.

Phil

I had one and used it recently to book the T/A on Quest next fall. I found out that the certificate is considered a booking...even when you haven't actually booked anything!! Weird!!??? and a bit confusing! I was able to save 7% because of my Discoverer Plus level but found out I could not get the stock owner's $250.00 SBC because of the 7% discount. LuAnn

Very interested in this as we had planned to buy a couple of open passage bookings on our next cruise just in case we wanted to book anything when 2019 is released which will presumably be at the end of the year as normal. Going to ask my TA to interrogate Azamara on the subject before we do.

I stopped buying them in 2014. I had several and was able to use them by booking wih AZ in mia and then giving my cruise to my agent.. But all my future cruises but one was booked on the ship .if 2019 comes out before I get on again I will call AZ up front so i can keep my cabin. deposit are more but not finding a huge B2B saving of late.

Unlike other cruise lines open passage booking programs Azamara's is a LCV benefit, presumably because it only really relates to your loyalty discount, maybe it would be worth emailing Nicole regarding this.

Looks like one more thing to save money on by not purchasing.

It's a pity because with the changes to the LCV benefits and particularly the savings on future cruises according to your status it could be very good, but the restrictions I've seen recently make it worthless from my perspective.

Phil

It's a pity because with the changes to the LCV benefits and particularly the savings on future cruises according to your status it could be very good, but the restrictions I've seen recently make it worthless from my perspective.

Phil

That is certainly a change as you used to be able to use them without restriction - Seems silly after all if you book onboard and say its a BOGOHO or double upgrade, you get the offer and the LCV discount. If you cannot use them in the same way on land they the future certs are not worth the paper they are written on. We were going to buy a few next trip, we wont bother now

I have no status, my cruise next month is my first on AZ. It may or may not be my last, my travel time is very restricted right now and I had to make some major arrangements to be able to take this much time at once. I love the small ships, I wanted a relaxing, meandering itinerary, and the price was right. Plus a close friend has booked the cruise so we can spend some time chit-chatting and watching the waves go by together. I am very, very shy, so the friendliness of the ships appealed greatly.

Hi Phil

We also had one of those but it could be a few years ago now. Like you we struggled to use it with agents. I mentioned this onboard to the Future cruise hostess and she refunded the certificate back to us.

Our Quest cruise in May was booked via the UK office because the Guatemala office seemed to know nothing about the Black Friday sale in the UK or indeed the Future Cruise certificate we purchased on our previous cruise. Mr Twynham's office sorted it for me and the certificate was applied.

However when on board in May, I enquired about buying another one. I was told that their benefit was now very limited, and really not to bother. So I didn't, despite knowing we will certainly want to book again.

Our Quest cruise in May was booked via the UK office because the Guatemala office seemed to know nothing about the Black Friday sale in the UK or indeed the Future Cruise certificate we purchased on our previous cruise. Mr Twynham's office sorted it for me and the certificate was applied.

However when on board in May, I enquired about buying another one. I was told that their benefit was now very limited, and really not to bother. So I didn't, despite knowing we will certainly want to book again.

Hello Pam,

It is possible that they are not pushing the future cruise certificates so much now because LCV members are offered discounts when booking onboard depending on your loyalty level.

How is Mr Miggins now after his accident?

That is certainly a change as you used to be able to use them without restriction - Seems silly after all if you book onboard and say its a BOGOHO or double upgrade, you get the offer and the LCV discount. If you cannot use them in the same way on land they the future certs are not worth the paper they are written on. We were going to buy a few next trip, we wont bother now

Don't kick it totally into touch Ann. They are definitely combinable with the BOGOHO. It just seems this "best available rate" that limits it and I'm not sure if this is the cabin grade I'm booking (cat 05 OVs).

Hello Pam,

It is possible that they are not pushing the future cruise certificates so much now because LCV members are offered discounts when booking onboard depending on your loyalty level.

How is Mr Miggins now after his accident?

Hazel, in the past this is why I have purchased the future cruise certificates because it's a way of getting that same LCV discount as booking a cruise on the ship (save for the lack of OBC) when I haven't found a cruise to actually do.

If Bonnie looks in on this thread it would be good to get an official line on it.

Phil

in the past this is why I have purchased the future cruise certificates because it's a way of getting that same LCV discount as booking a cruise on the ship (save for the lack of OBC) when I haven't found a cruise to actually do.

If Bonnie looks in on this thread it would be good to get an official line on it.

Phil

Thanks Phil. This is exactly why I get an FCC. I also found it so annoying that as a shareholder you can either have the LCV discount or the shareholder credit not both. Typically the LCV was a better deal but one time it was not. It is again getting way too complicated.

I look forward to someone writing us down the definitive rules. There has never been any mention of differences in LCV application between different countries, I hope that continues to be the case.

Phil, thanks for starting this thread as it has been part of a recent discussion I've had.

On the 9th July, the advisor and I got invited to view the recent refit and upgrades to the Az Quest whilst in Belfast. I was also able to swing it that SIL (who has never cruised) got an invite for her future holiday planning.

There were 30 invited guests seeing around the Quest whilst in Belfast and the 3 of us were the only non Travel Agents onboard.

I had a conversation with a number of the TA's, one in particular was the head of cruise development for one of Northern Irelands largest TA's. During the conversation I informed her I had 2 future AZ cruise certificates, and she told me good luck using them, as they had regularly been presented with them and yet had NEVER been able to apply them to a cruise on behalf of a customer. The one quote I remember was "They are impossible to use"

Makes me feel I have been conned

D

Ps loved the refit and hospitality on the day

Phil, thanks for starting this thread as it has been part of a recent discussion I've had.

On the 9th July, the advisor and I got invited to view the recent refit and upgrades to the Az Quest whilst in Belfast. I was also able to swing it that SIL (who has never cruised) got an invite for her future holiday planning.

There were 30 invited guests seeing around the Quest whilst in Belfast and the 3 of us were the only non Travel Agents onboard.

I had a conversation with a number of the TA's, one in particular was the head of cruise development for one of Northern Irelands largest TA's. During the conversation I informed her I had 2 future AZ cruise certificates, and she told me good luck using them, as they had regularly been presented with them and yet had NEVER been able to apply them to a cruise on behalf of a customer. The one quote I remember was "They are impossible to use"

Makes me feel I have been conned

D

Ps loved the refit and hospitality on the day

That's really interesting. Don't have any FCC now but have had them applied in the past.

If your TA's are correct and your certificates are not worth the paper they are printed on, I would seek the assistance of Richard Twynam. Have found him more than reasonable and very helpful

So true. And if he says "no" his explanations are understandable not Miami speak (yes it is still a Miami message in all probability but the explanation is not hidden in spin or legalese)

He is a great asset

Edited by uktog

There maybe is some confusion regarding terminology here....

My understanding is that ...

Open Passage Certificates... are bought on-board with a deposit and qualify you to a discount equivalent to your LCV status on a future cruise.

Future Cruise Certificates... are given by Azamara, for example as compensation, and have a monetary value attached to them. They can be redeemed against a future booking.

Both have their own terms and conditions. (which appear to be equally confusing and open to interpretation)

John

There maybe is some confusion regarding terminology here....

My understanding is that ...

Open Passage Certificates... are bought on-board with a deposit and qualify you to a discount equivalent to your LCV status on a future cruise.

Future Cruise Certificates... are given by Azamara, for example as compensation, and have a monetary value attached to them. They can be redeemed against a future booking.

Both have their own terms and conditions. (which appear to be equally confusing and open to interpretation)

John

Hi John

I think you are correct with your interpretation of the Future Cruise Certificate but we bought Open Passage certificates as we received 50% off the deposit of the cruise we used it for. LCV discount didn't come into it, but we were at the lowest level at that time. We gave our TA the Open Passage certificate and paid a reduced deposit. Hope this helps.

I also had a lot of hassle using one of these OPC with last years Black Friday promotion. Guatemala would not give my TA a quote without me phoning them and asking for the certificate to be formally transfer to my TA. The certificate was then permanently lodged with that TA even if I didn't accept the quote and book that particular cruise. I was also told by one of the LCV reps on board Journey that a certain well known UK cruise TA would not accept these certificates, possibly because they package the cruise, flights and transfers themselves at a cheap rate. So I have never bothered with one of these certificates since.