Man the Braces

Merry Maid

Just returned from May 3rd W/bound TA. It's a little over three years since I last cruised with Cunard and I was interested to see what, if any, changes there were. Well I'm happy to report that there were no startling differences apparent. The slightly relaxed dress code was taken full advantage of though. Not many gentlemen with ties in the MDR on non formal nights. A pity but within the rules. A 'gentleman' in a wife beater shirt with the attendant luxurious hirsute growth sprouting from every opening was taking his morning coffee and croissant in Sir Samuels. But that was about the worst.

It was odd to see in the Queens Room on formal nights some men remove their jackets and dance with braces akimbo. Had I been one of the beautifully attired ladies asked to dance with one of them I'm afraid I would have had to refuse. If ladies did refuse then perhaps these gentlemen would show a little more respect for the trouble the ladies take with their dress. Rant over. All in all not much has changed, it is still a wonderful experience which we shall repeat as often as funds allow.

Just one tiny complaint. As a diamond tier passengers we used to go to the priority check in desk which, if not busy was used for other passengers, a sensible system. Arriving this time at about 2.15 the lady directed us to a gap in the Tensa barrier which placed us at the front of an extremely long queue from where we went to the next available check in desk. All very well for us but if I had been at the front of that queue and had waited a long time then two random people had just rocked up in front of me I would have been furious. As I say, ok for us but it did make me feel a little uncomfortable, though obviously not uncomfortable enough to join the back of the long line.

MM

Just a year ago on the May crossing, every gentleman at our dining table wore a tie on nights when only a sports coat was required. And, I believe all the men, at our table for eight, wore tuxedos on formal nights.

From your descriptions, it sounds like change is underway…

Don't you think that in the heat of the moment, for example on a dance floor, at sea, when one is feeling particularly carefree, it's ok to have your jacket off? Braces might be akimbo at that point but I would far rather have a dance with a gentleman who was enjoying himself and the night than one who still had his coat on but was dancing like a plank of wood.

My my my, it seems you have touched a nerve or two or even three amongst those who take great exception to being called out for taking Cunard's atmosphere down a notch or two with a more casual dress style. Yes Cunard started it in order to fill the ships but once we are down to the basics of the other lines then why bother sailing Cunard. Passengers are a definite part of the overall atmosphere as customers are in a fine restaurant. If they are in shirtsleeves one gets the "ball park" atmosphere on the dance floor and not the ballroom. Myself, I would prefer every night that is not a port night be full formal and every other night ties required. Most ladies seem to enjoy dressing to the occasion. I can never understand why men have such a problem with it.

My my my, it seems you have touched a nerve or two or even three amongst those who take great exception to being called out for taking Cunard's atmosphere down a notch or two with a more casual dress style. Yes Cunard started it in order to fill the ships but once we are down to the basics of the other lines then why bother sailing Cunard. Passengers are a definite part of the overall atmosphere as customers are in a fine restaurant. If they are in shirtsleeves one gets the "ball park" atmosphere on the dance floor and not the ballroom. Myself, I would prefer every night that is not a port night be full formal and every other night ties required. Most ladies seem to enjoy dressing to the occasion. I can never understand why men have such a problem with it.

I agree with you! The tie-optional code was new on our Australia cruise. We were at a 6-top with two ladies and a couple, all Australians. The first tie-optional night, my DH and the other gentleman both wore ties. The other man said, "Ah, I see you agree that a suit deserves a tie." And they never went tieless on those nights. And always looked great!

On our last crossing, we sat with two couples. One couple had cruised once, the other not at all. The first night, Dh and one man wore suits and ties. The other man wore a sort of windbreaker. OK, it's a "jacket," but not what I think the dress code means. I don't recall what he wore on formal night, suit or tux. But the next "tie optional," he wore a proper jacket and tie to rise to the level of his table companions. I don't know if his lady was responsible, but in any case, setting an example seemed to have an effect.

For our next crossing, DH will wear a tux for formal nights, suit and tie for the rest. If others go for the minimum, that's the way it is. But we won't.

It doesn't worry me what others wear but I like to dress for the occasion, however, I can see why some people would not like the dress code broken.

On our recent cruise, we had a table for 8. On formal nights, I was the only one in a tuxedo while my wife wore a long gown with varying accessories. The other ladies were always dressed well with nice dresses/blouses and skirts. Two of the men wore ties and dark suit jackets, while the third wore no jacket but did wear his dark track suit jacket to the table before taking it off.

For informal nights, he wore a T-shirt most nights with the same jacket being put onto his chair on arrival to the table. Everyone else followed the dress code with dinner jacket or suit jacket with or without ties for the men and the ladies all smartly dressed.

It was a surprise at first but the table was in good spirits and it certainly gave us plenty of entertainment for the entire cruise.:D

Dear Merry Maid,

I understood completely your comments about priority boarding and how it can be well-handled or mishandled. DH and I have both observed and used priority boarding and IF is it well-handled, no one seems uncomfortable or put-off--- nor should they be.

I am surprised that this took place on a crossing, since both Southampton and Brooklyn usually seem very organized in their boarding procedures. On the other hand, DH and I typically board with the throng between 12:00 and 1:00. I really have never experienced boarding at a later time and maybe, that factor had some bearing (not that is should--but maybe it did).

The descriptions in your posting were appreciated.

Jimmybean

Dear Merry Maid,

I understood completely your comments about priority boarding and how it can be well-handled or mishandled. DH and I have both observed and used priority boarding and IF is it well-handled, no one seems uncomfortable or put-off--- nor should they be.

I am surprised that this took place on a crossing, since both Southampton and Brooklyn usually seem very organized in their boarding procedures. On the other hand, DH and I typically board with the throng between 12:00 and 1:00. I really have never experienced boarding at a later time and maybe, that factor had some bearing (not that is should--but maybe it did).

The descriptions in your posting were appreciated.

Jimmybean

I think there was a recent thread about the new way of handling priority embarkation, and OP experienced how that works. I prefer the old way of separate lines. People are used to that system in airports, and it doesn't feel as if anyone is jumping the queue.

That said, the last two times I embarked in Soton, priority embarkation was a mess. They offered us somewhere to sit because the queue was getting long, but they made no effort to follow the order in which people arrived. If you sat toward the back of the area, you might never be "invited" to get in the queue. The second time this happened, when we were offered a place to sit we said "No thanks, we'll stand" and got in the queue. Perhaps the change in the system was a remedy for disorganized staff?

Don't you think that in the heat of the moment, for example on a dance floor, at sea, when one is feeling particularly carefree, it's ok to have your jacket off? Braces might be akimbo at that point but I would far rather have a dance with a gentleman who was enjoying himself and the night than one who still had his coat on but was dancing like a plank of wood.

Retaining one's jacket in the ballroom does not necessarily mean dancing like a plank of wood. The Gentlemen Hosts and many other men danced quite beautifully without displaying their braces and rumpled shirts. I'm sorry, maybe I am an old reactionary but irrespective of the dress code, ballroom dancing in shirtsleeves and braces is just not on.

MM

Retaining one's jacket in the ballroom does not necessarily mean dancing like a plank of wood. The Gentlemen Hosts and many other men danced quite beautifully without displaying their braces and rumpled shirts. I'm sorry, maybe I am an old reactionary but irrespective of the dress code, ballroom dancing in shirtsleeves and braces is just not on.

MM

Unless it is swing or Jitterbug. !!;)

Edited by MicCanberra

I agree with you! The tie-optional code was new on our Australia cruise. We were at a 6-top with two ladies and a couple, all Australians. The first tie-optional night, my DH and the other gentleman both wore ties. The other man said, "Ah, I see you agree that a suit deserves a tie." And they never went tieless on those nights. And always looked great!

On our last crossing, we sat with two couples. One couple had cruised once, the other not at all. The first night, Dh and one man wore suits and ties. The other man wore a sort of windbreaker. OK, it's a "jacket," but not what I think the dress code means. I don't recall what he wore on formal night, suit or tux. But the next "tie optional," he wore a proper jacket and tie to rise to the level of his table companions. I don't know if his lady was responsible, but in any case, setting an example seemed to have an effect.

For our next crossing, DH will wear a tux for formal nights, suit and tie for the rest. If others go for the minimum, that's the way it is. But we won't.

We will be on the OM2 14 day cruise from NYC to Quebec round trip, my DH would not think of going with out a tie. And he looks very handsomely dressed day and night. Unfortunately, where we live (California) I can't say many have his style. Cruising on Cunard is special because of the atmosphere... we usually request a table for 2 so we don't need to be concerned what others wear.