Advice please about arriving Fort Lauderdale

stamfordian

We shall be arriving, for the first time, in Fort Lauderdale at the end of a forthcoming Transatlantic crossing. Have never landed there before. Can any regulars fill us in on the process compared to, say, New York/Brooklyn?

We are on Seabourn Odyssey - so only max of 450 passengers. Are there likely to be long lines at Border control and Customs? We will be renting a car for which I understand we will have to go to the car hire centre at FLL Hollywood airport. Are there shuttle buses to there or do we have to take a cab?

How difficult is it to get cabs from the terminal? I obviously realise that will vary depending on how many cruise ships are arriving at same time.

Have not yet booked our car hire; seem may be better prices from some of the smaller companies who don't operate at the airport but have off-site locations. Is it easy to get to them and if so, how?

Although we are experienced cruisers in many other parts of the world, this is a new experience for us so would welcome input from others who have used Fort Lauderdale previously. Many thanks.

Our experience at Port Everglades is that customs is pretty fast, but as you say, there could/will be other ships. They seem to have a pretty good organization and it has always gone quickly for us.

As you leave the terminal the taxis are lined up outside and that goes very quickly as well. I have never rented a car leaving the terminal but if you use someone like Alamo they have a facility near the port so you may not need to go to FLL. Be aware that you may wish to have a reservation rather than just expecting a vehicle will be available, both for a better rate and for assuring availability. Whoever you hire/rent from can advise you on shuttle info.

If you do taxi to FLL to get the vehicle it is a fairly short and reasonable ride between Port Everglades and FLL. We will also be on the Odyssey for your cruise.

Port Everglades is a reasonably sized terminal and you should not experience any major hassles coming through.

Because you are the first US port for the ship, I imagine there will be do docking delays - that's an extremely busy day for the ship with onboard inspections, crew changeovers, and a lot of restocking. Getting my the ship cleared and passengers off will be a priority, perhaps more so than any other day.

The airport is about 15 minutes from the port (give or take traffic) and taxis and Uber are available as are porters should you need them. Seabourn tries to stagger the disembarkation so that there are not lengthy immigration queues but if timing to the airport is a concern, request one of the earlier disembarkation times - or if not, stay on and have a leisurely breakfast and plan for self-disembarkation with one of the later groups.

As an 'alien' also,:D I find Port Everglades immigration officers to be pleasant and friendly.

Never had a problem getting a cab there but I do tend to wait till around 9.15 to disembark, it's usually quiet in the terminal by then. Disembarked last Friday just after that time and there were no queues at all.

Although disembarking is hateful, Port Everglades is one of these best places to do so, in my experience.

Imho, arriving in FLL is much easier than NYC. A short taxi ride to the airport rental car complex drops you right at the rental company of your choice. We disembarked the ship and within 45 minutes total were Northbound on I-95.:D

You are correct in thinking you will get a better rental rate at off-airport locations. The airports all take large fees. You don't have to use a smaller company either. We used Enterprise about a 5-10 minute ride from the airport. When you return the car it is about a $10 taxi ride to the airport. Enterprise helps you get the taxi. We did have to wait about 30 minutes for the taxi to the airport but I think that was an anomaly.

A couple of years ago we returned to Ft. Lauderdale after after a 4 month World Cruise and asked to be off at 9 AM. Finally our color was called at 10:30 not a typo. Woke up early and the ship was docked and had started unloading by 6 AM. Never got any explanation from the ship but, sure it was problems with the port so never know what might arise when returning to the US at Fort Lauderdale. That said, once allowed to disembark, never saw immigration, customs was a breeze, walked up, handed them the customs paper and out on the street looking for a taxi by 10:45 which was right there without any waiting. Dropped at the airport a few minutes after 11. Next problem was a really long line for security, didn't have TSA Pre at that point so didn't get thru security until a little after 12 noon. Just our experience but, it can happen so beware those early flights as always a chance you will miss them due to things beyond your control. Know Ft Lauderdale is normally better than this but, it can happen so beware anybody or cruise personnel who tell you that you won't have a problem with a flight before ealry afternoon. Also, Seabourn is moving to Miami sometime next year so Ft. Lauderdale will not be on Seabourn's schedule. Don't have the exact change date but, do know the 11/4 Quest cruise arrives and departs Miami.

I was just going to mention that there are only 3 ships in port on the December 19 arrival. As mentioned above, there are often times issues when ships arrive in the US after an international season. One never knows. We have taken many transatlantic cruises. Sometimes we get off immediately but on more than one occasion the ship was help up for a coupe of hours as Immigration required EVERY crew member to personally appear (this was on the Silversea Shadow) or customs decided to do a complete ship inspection before they would release any passengers. That being said, the lines in the terminal went quickly once we got off the ship. Regarding car rentals. We recommend National because, from our own experience, they seem to have the most reliable shuttles for taking you to the car rental center. We had reservations with Avis and Hertz and their shuttles never came. We ended up hopping on the National bus and then just booking the car on the bus on the way to the terminal to get my corporate rate! And yes, it is an easy ride by cab or Uber to the airport if necessary and lots of cabs. BTW- for those flying out the same day as arrival..... we never book flights out on the same day before 2:00. It is more stressful worrying about missing your flight than waiting at the airport with a drink! Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As others have said Port Everglades is much easier and less stressful than Brooklyn or Manhattan.

Taxis will be readily available right outside the terminal and you will not have to walk long distances as are required in Manhattan.

If you do have Global Entry as mentioned they do have a special line for those with the Global Entry Card. You just show your passport and card to the immigration personnel.

I would just take a taxi and not reserve a private car.

Keith