Do it on your own in Papeete???

envy4u

Thanks but looks like he's booked up for the day we are there.

Like hiking, beaches and snorkelling.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Find another tour guide that takes you to the interior and around the island. Spend some time here downtown and at Le Marche. Beaches and snorkeling are not good at the Papeete stop. Interior of the island is amazing and most ignore it. You will think you are in Jurassic Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The market is nice, about 3 blocks from the pier, but not spectacular. I guess a first time visitor sort of has to go there. The waterfront and park are very pretty to walk. If facing the water you would go to your left. You will see a tourist office and then continue along the waterfront. It is a very pretty public park.

Getting to the interior of the island is probably a great option.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I love going to the market; a great place to take some photos and pick up some souvenirs such as the Monoi oils. I also like to buy a tropical flower arrangement to bring back on the ship (around 15$ USD).

This past July I was in Papeete with my son. I negotiated with a taxi driver - helps if you speak some French - to go to the James Norman Hall House/Museum ("Mutiny on the Bounty" co-author), spent 45 minutes there, and on to Point Venus Lighthouse and the black sand beach. We spent 2.5 hours there and the taxi driver returned to take us back to downtown. We paid $80 USD.

I've also seen near to the little tourist market that is located close to the ship, a few people who were selling tours around the island, might have been around 60$ USD. Perhaps that is an option for you.

Cheers.

I also really like Le marche. Easy to stick up on some essentials and get quick souvenirs. Once in a while you can also find a black pearl bargain here.

I always get flowers for a cruise or my hotel room and there is a local who sells amazing cakes.

Check Trip Advisor. IF no luck, contact the Concierge at the Intercontinental Hotel in Papeete and ask them for the in house tour agency. I forgot their name. We used them and they did a great job for a circumferential tour. The also have inland tours to the Falls and service the airport.

Hey Envy, you've asked the same question for Papeete, Moorea and Bora Bora. How long will you be on each island, and what hotels are you staying at? Possibilities for snorkeling aren't as good on the island of Tahiti.

These 3 islands are common day stops during a transpacific cruise between Hawaii and Australia. Our cruise on Solstice is stopping at each for a day, so no hotel stays. I assume Envy asked about all 3 for the same reason.

Our cruise arrives about 7pm and overnights. Looking for suggestions on how to spend the evening off the ship.

I usually hang out at The Roulottes - great food and atmosphere and local flavor. The are many night clubs downtown but if you want to club hop I think most have cover charges.

I usually hang out at The Roulottes - great food and atmosphere and local flavor. The are many night clubs downtown but if you want to club hop I think most have cover charges.

Are the Roulettes the gourmet food trucks? Are they located in the Vai'ete Square? Is this the Waterfront Promenade area near the park?

I know Le Marche is a market, but is it downtown, or along the water? Same area as where the Roulettes are located, or different?

Are the Roulettes the gourmet food trucks? Are they located in the Vai'ete Square? Is this the Waterfront Promenade area near the park?

I know Le Marche is a market, but is it downtown, or along the water? Same area as where the Roulettes are located, or different?

Gourmet? I wouldn't call it that but there are some great food trucks. Especially one of the crepe places.

They are in a square adjacent to the waterfront across the street from Le Marche which will be closed when you get there.

Gourmet? I wouldn't call it that but there are some great food trucks. Especially one of the crepe places.

They are in a square adjacent to the waterfront across the street from Le Marche which will be closed when you get there.

I called them "gourmet" as that is how they were described in a Port Guide I read.:p. In any case, they sound pretty good, especially the crepes.

So the area with the food trucks is across the street from Le Marche, in a square adjacent to the waterfront. Now at least I know where I'm going. No problem with Le Marche being closed. We will be in port all day the following day, so plenty of time to check it out. I just did not want to waste an evening in Pape'ete.

Edited by punkincc

I called them "gourmet" as that is how they were described in a Port Guide I read.:p. In any case, they sound pretty good, especially the crepes.

So the area with the food trucks is across the street from Le Marche, in a square adjacent to the waterfront. Now at least I know where I'm going. No problem with Le Marche being closed. We will be in port all day the following day, so plenty of time to check it out. I just did not want to waste an evening in Pape'ete.

Have they changed the normal locations for the food carts?

They have always been next to the pier in the parking lot between the ships and the Le Marche. Unless I am thinking about something different? I remember seeing them from the ship.