Any recent travellers to Dublin?

Flo71

If you are going soon on Royal Princess British Isles cruise make sure that you actually dock in Dublin I believe that there has been threads saying it berths in a town nearby where you have to tender in to shore and then catch a train to Dublin about 7 miles away.

When we were on the Royal in May, the ship anchored in Dun Loghoaire and we tendered to shore. We had a lot of OBC's and opted for a Princess bus transfer into Dublin that dropped us off on Kildare Street.

We walked about a block, crossed the street, and got on the HOHO bus, [pre-purchased the tickets online], taking in many of the sites along the route. There's an interesting museum on the same street as the bus drop site, filled with ancient artifacts.

Darcy

We did this cruise in June/July. We docked in Dublin. Princess offers a shuttle that they will deliver info to your stateroom about prior to docking in Dublin. We didn't use it so I don't recall the cost. It was charged to your shipboard account. We also received a credit of $41.34 pp to our onboard account since we had paid to tender and we're now docking. I guess it must be cheaper to use the Dublin dock!

We did this cruise in June/July. We docked in Dublin. Princess offers a shuttle that they will deliver info to your stateroom about prior to docking in Dublin. We didn't use it so I don't recall the cost. It was charged to your shipboard account. We also received a credit of $41.34 pp to our onboard account since we had paid to tender and we're now docking. I guess it must be cheaper to use the Dublin dock!

Thanks

Ooh haven't heard anything about a credit but it would be a nice surprise if we get one. A shuttle would be great as it is my first time travelling without husband (going with daughter) and I'm a little nervous about going off and doing my own thing.

If anyone has used the shuttle do you book in advance or just turn up at the dock?

Thanks

Ooh haven't heard anything about a credit but it would be a nice surprise if we get one. A shuttle would be great as it is my first time travelling without husband (going with daughter) and I'm a little nervous about going off and doing my own thing.

If anyone has used the shuttle do you book in advance or just turn up at the dock?

The credit may have been for a pre-booked ride into town when the ship was scheduled to dock a few miles away.

For the shuttle when docking close to town, there will be a notice in the Patter the day before. Usually one (or a combination of two) of the following apply:

a) Buy tickets at the purser's desk

b) Buy tickets when boarding the shuttle

c) Give cabin number when boarding shuttle and it will be billed to your cabin account.

We just came back from our British Isles cruise, which docked in Dublin, no tender. When in port Princess offered a transfer for $8.00 per person each way. Cabs, we were told would be 20.00 into town. There were 3 of us. We opted to get a cab. When we went to inquire about a cab, we were told about a tram into the city center. It was a 10-15 minute walk to the tram station, and the tram was 2.20 per person each way. We tried the tram. It was fine.

When we were on the Royal in May, the ship anchored in Dun Loghoaire and we tendered to shore. We had a lot of OBC's and opted for a Princess bus transfer into Dublin that dropped us off on Kildare Street.

We walked about a block, crossed the street, and got on the HOHO bus, [pre-purchased the tickets online], taking in many of the sites along the route. There's an interesting museum on the same street as the bus drop site, filled with ancient artifacts.

Darcy

That is exactly what we did the last time we were in Ireland. it works very well.

A side note....We spent about 4 days in Ireland recently. Dublin is a great "smallish" city and so easy to get around. It's not overwhelming at all.

All you have to do is keep track of Trinity college or Temple Bar and you are set. You really can't get lost. You will all have a wonderful time and yes, the HOHO bus is easy and will take you to everywhere you want to go. Hint. Stop at the Gaol (jail) early as the lines get long, but worth the visit and leave yourself time for Guinness..the views (as well as the beer) are amazing! Have fun all!